Sofiane Boufal

Matthew Le God

9 hours ago, SKD said:

Sims, at 5’9 is taller than arguably the 2 best ever players with the ball at his feet Maradonna And messi. So I’ll take your judgement about his height being a issue with a pinch of salt. 

I was directly comparing him to an Argentine international who played for both Barcelona and Madrid. What makes you think I'm criticising his height?

That said, if he really is 5'9, he must have short little legs for someone that tall...

31 minutes ago, LeG said:

Pretty sure that Boufal perfectly fits RH style. Its just a case of the club raising funds. Sad. At least Gao is buggering off.

Well that is exactly what I reported weeks ago.

Ralph has no issue with Sof and would like him to stay but as we are skint we need to sacrifice him hence why Ralph was lamenting his lack of options at the weekend.

Would be better to keep him especially if we know more money is coming around the corner With the takeover.

Our guess our only hope to keep him is if bids are so poor that it doesn’t make it worthwhile to sell him.

What i don’t understand at all is why isn t he training with the squad and involved if there are lack of options in the squad would make sense to use him in the short term for the benefit of results, unless there is an appearance bonus somewhere about to be triggered if he plays.

4 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Ralph has no issue with Sof and would like him to stay but as we are skint we need to sacrifice him hence why Ralph was lamenting his lack of options at the weekend.

Would be better to keep him especially if we know more money is coming around the corner With the takeover.

Our guess our only hope to keep him is if bids are so poor that it doesn’t make it worthwhile to sell him.

What i don’t understand at all is why isn t he training with the squad and involved if there are lack of options in the squad would make sense to use him in the short term for the benefit of results, unless there is an appearance bonus somewhere about to be triggered if he plays.

If there’s a takeover & if there’s cash available. 

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

If this is the case then why did Martin Semmens say the other week that we didn't need to sell in order to buy? Surely we have to keep hold of Sofiane as like you say Ralph wants him to stay. He's one of our most creative players!

I know a lot of people on here get frustrated with Redmond, but I think we are actually missing him......at least he takes on people and runs AT them. Having seen how Djenepo played on Sunday (or didn't - at times it looked like he'd never seen a football in his life) makes you wonder if Ralph might be less keen to get rid of Boufal.  No, he's not been great, but I think I'm right in saying he played under Puel, The Clown and Mark Hughes, totally different styles to Ralph. Maybe, just maybe, a run of a few games (if Redmond is still out) would give him the boost he needs. I've seen Boufal play a few times and each time - the one thing I have been impressed with is his chasing back and closing down. Yes I know his decision making needs improving, but again....maybe decent coaching can improve that. Just a thought......

If Ralph rates him why hasn't he been playing? As for 'closing down', I don't think he knows what it is. He is talented but a show pony, and that's not what we need, if we did Ralph would pick him, or Mark Hughes might have, or The Clown but he gets the thumbs down from them all. Will anyone buy him?

1 hour ago, Dellman said:

If Ralph rates him why hasn't he been playing? 

Hasenhuttl has very strange criteria for assessing players like how many sprints they can do in 15 minutes and their 25 metre sprint times. On that basis he would've loaned out Le Tissier to Worthing and offered him on a free. They also have to have a name that can be made to sound very chummy like Prow-sey, Ing-sey, Redders, Bertie. Poor Sofiane has no chance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Hasenhuttl has very strange criteria for assessing players like how many sprints they can do in 15 minutes and their 25 metre sprint times. On that basis he would've loaned out Le Tissier to Worthing and offered him on a free. They also have to have a name that can be made to sound very chummy like Prow-sey, Ing-sey, Redders, Bertie. Poor Sofiane has no chance.

Much as I like both Armstrong and Djenepo, if Boufal had played like they did on Saturday he would have been hauled off earlier and been given the rounds of the kitchen on this site.     And then we have to watch the hapless Tella come on and deliver something many grades below Boufal's capabilities.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Boufhead?

1 hour ago, skintsaint said:

When did this start happening?

I'm not saying the end product is always there....his shooting can be wayward, which is why he frustrates, but he does run at defenders and take them on. Nobody did that last weekend which is why I say we are missing him. Some youtube clips attached.....hopefully

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Boufy the vampire slayer.

• Like 1

On 23/09/2020 at 09:02, SKD said:

Sims, at 5’9 is taller than arguably the 2 best ever players with the ball at his feet Maradonna And messi. So I’ll take your judgement about his height being a issue with a pinch of salt. 

Simms, Maradonna and Messi In the same sentence, cor blimey!

• Haha 1

I'd imagine it's a combination of factors, Ralph probably wants him as a squad option but likely he wants to play more which can't be guaranteed, plus he's probably amongst the higher earners I would reckon and his contract is running out so better for the club to cash in rather than losing him for free. 

Talented but inconsistent probably best described him and I'd probably say lacking the fast decision making to play under Ralph's system where everything is done at high pace, Boufal has always I think looked more suited to a slower more possession based style where he can stand up his marker and take him on before having a shot or finding a pass. 

Never got these accusations of laziness though, seemed to always work hard to me when I have seen him and we've never heard anything of him being a bad trainer or being unprofessional, seems to have just got on with it despite getting little game time. 

8 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

I'm not saying the end product is always there....his shooting can be wayward, which is why he frustrates, but he does run at defenders and take them on. Nobody did that last weekend which is why I say we are missing him. Some youtube clips attached.....hopefully

Can you imagine if we were linked with this guy, and he was doing it in Spain.  Our fans would be absolutely buzzing.  We're a better side when he is playing.

57 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Can you imagine if we were linked with this guy, and he was doing it in Spain.  Our fans would be absolutely buzzing.  We're a better side when he is playing.

When he's on form, we win more than we lose - without question.

The problem is that he flits in and out of form so quickly, he needs to find more consistency. But no doubt that he's a top level PL player when on form.

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The problem is that he flits in and out of form so quickly, he needs to find more consistency. But no doubt that he's a top level PL player when on form.

I agree. I also feel that people don't always appreciate what he does off the ball with his runs and covering. I really feel we miss this aspect of his game, particularly away from home. Sure, it isn't going to feature on a highlights reel on Youtube but it really does improve our team play. Djenepo tried to play that role against Burnley and had to sacrifice his creativity and adventure, when Redmond is on song he can marry together both defensive discipline and cover with some good attacking play.   

21 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Part of me is hoping that all the rumours of him leaving lead nowhere and that he stays for a further year. If Djenepo continues to play as he did on Saturday then he is not the chosen one that we were led to believe he was. Boufal was never that bad in a single match and as many have said Tella may have a future but he is not the present and the present is what we need right now. 

Djenepo is a Hasenhuttl signing is he not so that's another potential concern. Don't get me wrong I want him to be a great success, just imagine if we could get him and Boufie firing on all cylinders.

8 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Part of me is hoping that all the rumours of him leaving lead nowhere and that he stays for a further year. If Djenepo continues to play as he did on Saturday then he is not the chosen one that we were led to believe he was. Boufal was never that bad in a single match and as many have said Tella may have a future but he is not the present and the present is what we need right now. 

Djenepo is a Hasenhuttl signing is he not so that's another potential concern. Don't get me wrong I want him to be a great success, just imagine if we could get him and Boufie firing on all cylinders.

I wasn't talking about Boufal, I was talking about Redmond.

As far as Boufal is concerned, he offers nothing and never has. If getting shot of him frees up the money to buy someone more direct/quicker, then let's do it. We won't miss him.

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I wasn't talking about Boufal, I was talking about Redmond.

As far as Boufal is concerned, he offers nothing and never has. If getting shot of him frees up the money to buy someone more direct/quicker, then let's do it. We won't miss him.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. And it seems to align with Ralph's. 

For better or for worse, we seem to have given Ralph greater and greater control. If he isn't prepared to play Bouf, then it's better for him to go where he will get game time.

But I think it's a pity. Bouf is a game changer and we need them. Ralph seems to stubbornly stick to the same group of players, even when we need fresh ideas.

Let me know who we can get for €1.5M that is better than Boufal.

1 hour ago, the saint in winchester said:

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. And it seems to align with Ralph's. 

For better or for worse, we seem to have given Ralph greater and greater control. If he isn't prepared to play Bouf, then it's better for him to go where he will get game time.

But I think it's a pity. Bouf is a game changer and we need them. Ralph seems to stubbornly stick to the same group of players, even when we need fresh ideas.

It’s not just Ralph, it’s every single manager he’s had in England.

We had the Gasronettes waxing lyrically about the wonders he can perform, having wet dreams over “The Villa game”, wondering how managers could overlook their hero, how could they not see what these hipsters could. Of course the dream faded and died ....... in Hull, as he was shite. Now we have the Boufonts, writing poetically about “The West Brom” goal (at least Gaston had a whole game to wank over), rallying against 5 managers who dare to leave him out. Like The Gastonettes they’ll end up disappointed and deflated. 2 show ponies destined for the knackers yard. 

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

If Djenepo continues to play as he did on Saturday then he is not the chosen one that we were led to believe he was.  

He had a terrible game, yes (along with Armstrong). But Djenepo was probably our best player against Spurs the previous week. 

38 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

He had a terrible game, yes (along with Armstrong). But Djenepo was probably our best player against Spurs the previous week. 

Indeed. Just like Mane was inconsistent for a good year and a half. Think he deserves another season before we write him off. 

47 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Moussa just needs a run of games, he is coming into this season with no form at all. He had a very stop-start first year with us, in fact it was more stop than start. Not sure what the injuries were, but it was certainly hampering him getting up a head of steam.

If we've got to the bottom of those injuries and he's now fit, give him a run of games and we'll see the trickery/pace that we know he can produce. He was utterly hopeless on Saturday for sure, but it's a hard game to judge him on as he needs to find his way back to some form.

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Moussa just needs a run of games, he is coming into this season with no form at all. He had a very stop-start first year with us, in fact it was more stop than start. Not sure what the injuries were, but it was certainly hampering him getting up a head of steam.

If we've got to the bottom of those injuries and he's now fit, give him a run of games and we'll see the trickery/pace that we know he can produce. He was utterly hopeless on Saturday for sure, but it's a hard game to judge him on as he needs to find his way back to some form.

Didn’t he have a death to deal with as well?

6 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

It's four years worth of highlights (includes his debut goal if I'm not mistaken) and there's quite a bit of repetition. I'd say it actually illustrates (to someone who has watched him play week in, week out) that a) he doesn't actually take on defenders very often and b) his end product is usually a pop straight at the keeper.

4 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

1.5m + his £50k+ per week wages?  Well he's managed 3 PL goals since he joined in 2016 so the question should really be 'who could do worse'? 

IF you score or create goals in some games and anonymous in others then I could see the reason to persevere but if you never really show up except maybe one game. Then questions get asked. If you want to be picked you have to show why you should play and when you play you need to show why you should keep playing. We are not talking youngsters trying to break into a team but rather players that should be ready to go from day one even if they have room to grow. If they don't have something about them from a few games in they are never going to have it.

I think that very skilful flair players should be given a chance.

Recently on the televised games we have found flair players hard to deal with also strong fast forwards.

Begs the question why don't we give hum a chance and see if he can unlock stubborn defences.

Not many deg=fenders like a skilful dribbler running at them/

42 minutes ago, cambsaint said:

Recently on the televised games we have found flair players hard to deal with also strong fast forwards.

Begs the question why don't we give hum a chance and see if he can unlock stubborn defences.

Didn’t really seem to upset Huddersfield defenders in the cup last season.

On 29/09/2020 at 22:43, cambsaint said:

Given he's been with us since 2016, how long a chance do you think he should be given?  Might as well extend him for another 4 years at £70k per week just to take a punt?

On 29/09/2020 at 13:04, the saint in winchester said:

Obafami cost nothing and has already scored more goals than Boufal. Who's to say Tella won't do the same? Only time will tell, but there is a good chance he will score more than 3 goals if he is given 70 appearances (with around half of them being starts) over the next few years.

Not that I am suggesting Tella should be his replacement. I would certainly like to see us bring in someone more experienced, but you get my drift.

In any event, apart from a very few rare moments, Boufal has really done very little of note during his 4 years here.

On 28/09/2020 at 20:55, Charlie Wayman said:

Sophie, Boufey, seem 'chummy' enough to me. Likening Boufal to Tiss is a bit far fetched. 

On 29/09/2020 at 15:45, skintsaint said:

Its not just that though is it, he would be on a hefty wage (going he was a record signing at one point) which is hamstringing our finances along with Hoedt, Carrillo etc.

He's on £65k. Yes, agree that paying wages for Hoedt and Cariillo are hamstringing our finances, but only one of the three can make a positive contribution to our game right now.

(Since writing my original post, it does seem the club want to pay Carillo off.)

IT's a shame Ralph doesn't rate him.

2 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

I don't think any need to worry about our efficiency in making sure we get the outgoing players out of the door on deadline day.

Unlikely we will be anything remotely as efficient in actually signing anyone however.

No player seems to have spilt opinion on here more than Sofiane Boufal; his time at Saints will be remembered by many as one of sadly unfulfilled potential for whatever reasons and that wonderfully unforgettable solo goal against WBA that lit up St Mary's just a few short seasons ago. Only a spiteful and malevolent few will say "good riddance" which in itself is testimony to the uncertainty surrounding his departure bearing in mind the opprobrium heaped on the hapless trio of Carillo, Hoedt and Forster.

By all accounts Sofiane seems to be a lovely lad who fits in with his colleagues more than with management. I doubt we will ever know the full story of why he was so frequently out of favour. That seems to be behind us now so we should all wish him well in his new career and thank him for being a loyal uncomplaining Saint these past few years. Thanks for the memories Sofiane and bon chance!