Inter 1 Saints 0 - Reactions

St Chalet

I'm sat in the san siro trying to remind myself that before the game I said that the result wasn't the be all and end all, but having dominated the first half (felt like Inter barely touched the ball first 40 mins), im feeling absolutely gutted that we haven't been able to celebrate a goal.

Not scoring when we had chances gave them a chance to figure out a game plan at HT, and in fairness to them, they got it right.Close down the full backs and force us back inside, and we ran out of ideas. Seems that it works better for us NOT to play well first half!

That is a really poor Inter team and they still beat us. It wasn't a good performance from us but they are that bad we still created a number of clear chances. So wasteful but movement in the final third was too slow aswell.

Sad to say but JRod is nowhere near good enough anymore. Martina is not europa league standard either.

That is a really poor Inter team and they still beat us. It wasn't a good performance from us but they are that bad we still created a number of clear chances. So wasteful but movement in the final third was too slow aswell.

Sad to say but JRod is nowhere near good enough anymore. Martina is not europa league standard either.

JRod needs to go on loan. We can't afford to give him the game time he needs here.

Good performance except in front of goal, though the Inter keeper made some great saves. Shame we got to play them when they decided they needed a result, that was not the Inter that played in the previous two group games, they weren't brilliant but they were much better organised and had a determination to at least not lose. One piece of finishing quality was all they needed (it was ever thus in Italy). Still, as far as qualification goes it doesn't matter. We should get 6 points from our 2 home games and that will be enough, but will need to get something in Prague to win the group (which has to be the aim). Back to full strength in 2 weeks should see us get the points at SMS.

1-0 down, deep into extra time. We win a corner. A free cross into the box. We have Ward-Prowse, a fanastic crosser of the ball. We have Virgil Van Dijk, Charlie Austin, Maya Yoshida, Oriol Romeu all in the box ready to attack the ball. What do we do? Play a short ball, quickly lose it so everybody has to run back and Inter hold it up in our corner. Unnacceptable.

The better side lost but at the end of the day you have to take your chances. We are so ****ing frustrating in front of goal.

VVD didn't have the best of games, at fault for the goal - he's switched off. If he's tight then he has a good chance of blocking that shot and then misses an absolute sitter.

Not seen Rod's goal back but didn't see much wrong with it, thought overall the referee was a ****. Inter got so many soft fouls and we got **** all.

I'd really like to see us play our strongest side against them at St. Mary's, this group is wide open now and being eliminated from such a poor group would be a massive disappointment.

Pelle and Mane would have scored tonight.

So might've Davies, Channon, Keegan, Beattie or Lambert but they don't play for us anymore either. Move on ffs, support the lads who put a damn good shift in for the team tonight.

1-0 down, deep into extra time. We win a corner. A free cross into the box. We have Ward-Prowse, a fanastic crosser of the ball. We have Virgil Van Dijk, Charlie Austin, Maya Yoshida, Oriol Romeu all in the box ready to attack the ball. What do we do? Play a short ball, quickly lose it so everybody has to run back and Inter hold it up in our corner. Unnacceptable.

So after a performance like we have just put in, in the San Siro, that's the only part of the performance that you can comment on - try looking at the bigger picture.

Could and should have won that. We were the better team all over except where it matters most.

Let down by the boards failure/decision in not signing a decent goal scorer in the summer. Also, 10 minutes left in a match where you are trailing 1-0 and the opposition has gone down to 10 men and no striker on the bench; not only that, but the manager takes a striker off and puts on a cm FFS!

Some real f**king bellends on here. We just went to the san siro and outplayed inter milan. We had a legitimate goal chalked off and watched a keeper pull a few worldies out of his locker.

Yes disappointing not to win and we could be a little more clinical but Jesus wept some some of the trolling on here.

We may still go through into the knock out rounds of European competition. Let that sink in, 6 years ago stadium MK, now here. Get a grip.

Some real f**king bellends on here. We just went to the san siro and outplayed inter milan. We had a legitimate goal chalked off and watched a keeper pull a few worldies out of his locker.

Yes disappointing not to win and we could be a little more clinical but Jesus wept some some of the trolling on here.

We may still go through into the knock out rounds of European competition. Let that sink in, 6 years ago stadium MK, now here. Get a grip.

Absolutely

Only saw one replay of the JRod header, but it definitely sounded like the whistle went so early it was for something happening elsewhere in the box.

Pretty dispiriting result - played well without really carving them open and then got suckered by an irritatingly good finish that put the technique of our strikers into sharp relief. In a way it felt like Inter were England and we were the Eastern European minnow that plays well for 90 minutes of a Wembley qualifier and then gets done by one moment of quality.

The whistle was for an alleged foul by Austin, which was no worse than the standard shirt-tugging you see week-in, week out in the PL.....we could've won that 4-0 and it wouldn't have been unfair...more than enough chances to win, just didn't take them and wasn't our night...a point was deserved at the very least....J-Rod still doesn't look like he's moving properly to me

Don't get me wrong. We played well and we were absolutely the better team. However, if there are things I don't like I will point them out. I don't like this notion that a differing opinion means they're a troll or bellend. Hopefully we can all be grown up enough to discuss things without calling names.

Totally agree with this. I was screaming at the screen. Very unusual for Prowsey to make such a poor choice.

Gutted.

Big mistake starting going Long. Would have been better if Steven Davis had been playing first half

Another good game from McQueen. Martina ran miles and put a Ross some great balls. I think we got caught out by Inters game plan. They struck when we least expected and then piled on the pressure.

If we beat City I won't feel so hard done by tonight's result

Don't get me wrong. We played well and we were absolutely the better team. However, if there are things I don't like I will point them out. I don't like this notion that a differing opinion means they're a troll or bellend. Hopefully we can all be grown up enough to discuss things without calling names.

He may have aimed at you but I don't think so. Take a look at the match thread when we went behind. Crazy overreactions at that point "Les Reed has lost the plot" being one.

It's frustrating to have lost but we should still get out of the group with two home games left. Should being the operative word.

was absolutely criminal not to have grabbed something, but a really good day in Milan and hopefully can experience it a bit more tomorrow!!!

it was making me think- when was the last win we had where we didn't deserve it or we smash and grabbed it?

inter proved how to see a game out and all it took was a goal- whilst the occasion was massive, this loss will mean nothing if we win both our home games and grab a pt in Prague.

The group is open and there for the taking.

Come on you Saints, proud of even getting to play at the San Siro despite the result!

Oh dear, oh dear! Same old, same old. Should have won that in a canter! The defence must be so frustrated. Oh well, can't expect much more than a mediocre season as this was to be expected when the club failed to sign a recognised striker who is looking to score at every opportunity. Boss the game all over the park and then lose 1-0. Could have written the script on that even before the game started. God help us at Man City and home to Chelsea!

Why is it so hard for people to understand that Austin was signed because everyone knew Pelle was off so this bull about not buying a striker is just that, bull.

The biggest gamble tonight, for me, was playing Jrod ahead of Austin. That just didn't work.

Personally I thought JWP had an excellent game (bar the last corner) but Martina just looks like someone who has won a competition to play in a match.