Puel out

Lastman73

I had heard this before Les Reed signed him and it seemed baffling why people were keen to get him in .

Some even seem convinced the diamond formation would lead to high speed aggressive attacking football .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

You can't judge him critically by saying his teams did better the year after he left, without acknowledging that he had some part in putting that team together and training them. When you put together a squad of young talent it's only natural for them to improve year on year.

When Koeman came in he bought old for Southampton standards. Pelle 28, Long 27, Forster 26, Bertrand 25, Tadic 25, Gardos 25, Mane 22. With the exception of Mane, he bought ready-made players for immediate success. You look at his Everton signing of Williams and you can see he's about that short-term success.

Compare that to Puel's first year. McCarthy 26, Gabbiadini 25, Redmond 22, Boufal 22, Hojbjerg 20. Those last 3 are all Mane like signings in that they're a long way off reaching their potential.

This season has been a rebuild. More time for academy players. Signing younger players for the future than under Koeman. Along with the key injuries that Koeman never had to deal with. Along with the crazy scheduling that Koeman never had to deal with. We'll see how they go next season when Koeman has Europa and we don't, that is unless he tanks it and fails to qualify for the group stage again.

12 shots on target in the last 6 matches, and one of those was Tadic's penalty. Who Puel presumably appointed to take it, having idiotically taken Gabbiadini off. Bloke has no idea how to get the team firing. It's no coincidence that the club are finally looking to do something about the situation as season ticket renewal numbers come in. Puel out.

You can't judge him critically by saying his teams did better the year after he left, without acknowledging that he had some part in putting that team together and training them. When you put together a squad of young talent it's only natural for them to improve year on year.

When Koeman came in he bought old for Southampton standards. Pelle 28, Long 27, Forster 26, Bertrand 25, Tadic 25, Gardos 25, Mane 22. With the exception of Mane, he bought ready-made players for immediate success. You look at his Everton signing of Williams and you can see he's about that short-term success.

Compare that to Puel's first year. McCarthy 26, Gabbiadini 25, Redmond 22, Boufal 22, Hojbjerg 20. Those last 3 are all Mane like signings in that they're a long way off reaching their potential.

This season has been a rebuild. More time for academy players. Signing younger players for the future than under Koeman. Along with the key injuries that Koeman never had to deal with. Along with the crazy scheduling that Koeman never had to deal with. We'll see how they go next season when Koeman has Europa and we don't, that is unless he tanks it and fails to qualify for the group stage again.

Hmmm you have been quite selective with your Signings... 26 is young for a keeper btw, how old was VVD? Clasie, Cedric etc etc

Surely the nature of our system of selling our best players means we can't afford a manager who needs years to build a team as we rebuild every summer?

If you were trying to make out you'd felt we'd reached a level that, while high, you fully expected us to beat the following season then my recommendation would be to use a different phrase than "high water mark". Poor choice.

And if you you seriously expected us to be higher this season than last then fu cking god help you.

I didn't "fully expect it". That's you making things up. Merely pointing out we're on the wane. Hope that 'fu cking' helps. Thanks for your English recommendations. Mine is that 'god' usually has a capital 'g'. Also, don't use you followed by you. Poor choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm you have been quite selective with your Signings... 26 is young for a keeper btw, how old was VVD? Clasie, Cedric etc etc

Surely the nature of our system of selling our best players means we can't afford a manager who needs years to build a team as we rebuild every summer?

I included all their signings season 1. VVD Clasie Cedric Romeu Cuco etc were season 2.

The "nature of our system" is to make money. More moneys the only way we'll ever compete with the top 6 on a regular basis. That's why we don't tend to buy ready-made players already at their peak. Looking at Koeman's 1st year signings which will we make money on. Pelle we got lucky thanks to China (5th highest paid player in the world? lol...). Mane we made a killing on (the only typical-age Saints signing). Bertrand we'll profit on. Long/Forster/Tadic/Gardos we probably won't.

Koeman came in buying players he knew that were just about the finished product. Puel came in buying younger "for the future" players and the one he knew well has been injured all season (Pied).

Koeman came in buying players he knew that were just about the finished product. Puel came in buying younger "for the future" players and the one he knew well has been injured all season (Pied).

It all comes down to definition I guess. Looking at this seasons additions then we have: Pied at 28 so not a young future player, won't turn a profit. Manola is 25 and has already played for several of Italy's top clubs and is an international. If he continues to perform however I can see him turning a profit so that would fit your model. Boufal probably comes into your category. Redmond was signed by Les before Puel became our manager. Caceras at 30 and clearly a panic buy. Definitely not one for the future. So it looks like only Boufal, and maybe Manola, really falls into that group of 'for the future'. Maybe I missed someone.

defensive football and lack of goals, that is Hull surely. Silva sets up to defend and nick the odd goal. Same as Puel IMO

It is unfair to get rid of Puel considering what he had to start with.

The thing that will get Puel the sack is all those empty seats. I couldnt believe seeing them all when I watched some of the highlights

defensive football and lack of goals, that is Hull surely. Silva sets up to defend and nick the odd goal. Same as Puel IMO

It is unfair to get rid of Puel considering what he had to start with.

The thing that will get Puel the sack is all those empty seats. I couldnt believe seeing them all when I watched some of the highlights

To be fair to Silva, if he'd have come in and played gung-ho football then Hull would be down by now.

I'd rather judge him on what's he done before.

To be fair to Silva, if he'd have come in and played gung-ho football then Hull would be down by now.

I'd rather judge him on what's he done before.

but listening to Phil Neville a couple of weeks back talking about him in Spain and that is how he plays

Puel has little chance of success as the fans have made up their minds and it would take a miracle to turn them on his side. We need a manger who comes out with funny quips and seem amusing on TV interviews, then mention how good the fans are even though we have lost 4 in a row. The fans will lap that up

Puel has little chance of success as the fans have made up their minds and it would take a miracle to turn them on his side. We need a manger who comes out with funny quips and seem amusing on TV interviews, then mention how good the fans are even though we have lost 4 in a row. The fans will lap that up

Absolute cr8p....its Puels negative tactics ,Europa failure, treatment of players, don't score or you won't play again(Clasie) lack of influence in a game well positive, rubbish substitutions thats what makes the crowd decide not a few fans posting on a fans forum.

He has not been backed by board , had some bad luck with injuries but has he made the most of what he has at his disposal has he b0llox!

Just rant in the press and you get to stay on despite being absolute cr9p for 4 games now.

Perhaps you and the other gushing lickspittles should spend more time at the ground watching games rather than attacking forum posters you might see why many are turning against Puel after giving him the benefit for most of the season.

Correct. Much better than 'possibilities' after losing 4 in a row.

but listening to Phil Neville a couple of weeks back talking about him in Spain and that is how he plays

He hasn't managed in Spain so not exactly sure what Neville was talking about there.

However, he only lost three league games in two seasons with Sporting Lisbon and Olympiacos and completely turned Estoril around.

Edited by beavis17

Absolute balderdash.

It's not absolute crap though is it? For a fair number of vocal fans, part of their problem with him is because his grasp of English and general lack of charisma in front of the camera is not up to what they believe it should be.

It's not the only reason I know. But it's certainly one of them, pretending otherwise is pointless.

It's not absolute crap though is it? For a fair number of vocal fans, part of their problem with him is because his grasp of English and general lack of charisma in front of the camera is not up to what they believe it should be.

It's not the only reason I know. But it's certainly one of them, pretending otherwise is pointless.

This is true. Imagine what it must be like to be on the end of a team talk.

Oh yeah, Poch didn't stop with the quips

I have not heard anyone say that...what I have heard is that going by his interviews if he copies that onto training ground and dressing room it will hardly inspire the players. Where have you heard the vocal fans say that ?

Its certainly not what I and all the people I go with and sit with in Block 35 or in the pubs I drink in or even play with think or say.

Most are saying what I posted about tactics, subs etc

Edited by Give it to Ron

I think we should break the bank to get Paco Jemez in, why we didn't appoint him in the summer god only knows

Agree, very good shout - the way his teams set up (well at Rayo Vallecano), reminds me of us under poch and he would have a similar impact, IMO.

From what i've seen, he'd certainly entertain the fans and get us back to attacking with pace, which is what we're crying out for.

Question is, would he come to us? I think he probably would.

Absolute cr8p....its Puels negative tactics ,Europa failure, treatment of players, don't score or you won't play again(Clasie) lack of influence in a game well positive, rubbish substitutions thats what makes the crowd decide not a few fans posting on a fans forum.

He has not been backed by board , had some bad luck with injuries but has he made the most of what he has at his disposal has he b0llox!

Just rant in the press and you get to stay on despite being absolute cr9p for 4 games now.

Perhaps you and the other gushing lickspittles should spend more time at the ground watching games rather than attacking forum posters you might see why many are turning against Puel after giving him the benefit for most of the season.

Hey dont start spitting venom at me Ron. If he drops players without them scoring, I doubt we would be able to put a team out.

His lacklustre interviews are poor, but his English is improving. As for team selection or substitutions there has never been a manager in the world who doesnt do things differently than fans do.

Your frustration should be aimed in other directions eg the board and Reed who have overseen the dilution of the quality of the squad. Add to that a very unfortunate run of injuries. It is odd how Fonte was marginalised as well, who was behind that I wonder

Hey dont start spitting venom at me Ron. If he drops players without them scoring, I doubt we would be able to put a team out.

His lacklustre interviews are poor, but his English is improving. As for team selection or substitutions there has never been a manager in the world who doesnt do things differently than fans do.

Your frustration should be aimed in other directions eg the board and Reed who have overseen the dilution of the quality of the squad. Add to that a very unfortunate run of injuries. It is odd how Fonte was marginalised as well, who was behind that I wonder

No my venom is aimed at people on here that constantly attack others for having a different opinion on Puel than them and being lazy saying its because of his accent rather than us scoring 8 goals in 14 home games this season!

Ok we got 3 against 3 other teams but they were absolute garbage 2 being Leicester, Palace who have now turned around.

I can't wait for the rotation to stop and Puel getting more time on the training ground.....oh!

Sorry for the rant.....anyway just renewed my ticket again for my 51st year supporting the team.

Is it any wonder managers & players bugger off the first offer they get. Who would want to stay and play or manage for a bunch of twts who want you out as soon as you slip below their expectations. People seem to think we've got a God given right to be "best of the rest", if you're dissatisfied with mid table you're going to have a lot of disappointment supporting saints. Of course its now moved on to "style of play", **** me some of you are as deluded as West Ham fans. Good job there wasn't Saintweb in 1973, the calls for lawrie to be sacked would have broken the internet. The pathetic thing is had Puel come in won the EFL cup & finished 5th before upping & going to Arsenal or PSG the ones calling for his head would be the ones calling him a disloyal ****. Loyalty is a two way street in my book & a manager deserves more than one season in the job. Particularly when he's taken us to a cup final & we're mid table, with mid table players.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Is it any wonder managers & players bugger off the first offer they get. Who would want to stay and play or manage for a bunch of twts who want you out as soon as you slip below their expectations. People seem to think we've got a God given right to be "best of the rest", if you're dissatisfied with mid table you're going to have a lot of disappointment supporting saints. Of course its now moved on to "style of play", **** me some of you are as deluded as West Ham fans. Good job there wasn't Saintweb in 1973, the calls for lawrie to be sacked would have broken the internet. The pathetic thing is had Puel come in won the EFL cup & finished 5th before upping & going to Arsenal or PSG the ones calling for his head would be the ones calling him a disloyal ****.

You want Puel to stay but have posted 35x on a Puel OUT thread?

Stop crying like a little girl and just accept that alot want him out.

I'll see you at the remain marches no doubt.

Is it any wonder managers & players bugger off the first offer they get. Who would want to stay and play or manage for a bunch of twts who want you out as soon as you slip below their expectations. People seem to think we've got a God given right to be "best of the rest", if you're dissatisfied with mid table you're going to have a lot of disappointment supporting saints. Of course its now moved on to "style of play", **** me some of you are as deluded as West Ham fans. Good job there wasn't Saintweb in 1973, the calls for lawrie to be sacked would have broken the internet. The pathetic thing is had Puel come in won the EFL cup & finished 5th before upping & going to Arsenal or PSG the ones calling for his head would be the ones calling him a disloyal ****. Loyalty is a two way street in my book & a manager deserves more than one season in the job. Particularly when he's taken us to a cup final & we're mid table, with mid table players.

Yeah players don't bugger off because they get offered better contracts or money it's because a few fans on a dopey messageboard post a few things about the manager...jeesh you are right we have some real intelligence in our fan base!

Why do you find so difficult to understand that the majority aren't complaining about our position in the league or the fact we didn't win a cup... They are unhappy that we are being bored to death, especially at home.

A season ticket is a big investment and if you feel like you are not getting your moneys worth, then you are entitled to complain.

The majority of players and fans are unhappy with the manager and his style of play / philosophy. As shown by Leicester this year, regardless of what has happened in the past, if the players don't want to play for the manager, he has to go.

It's not just the fans 'expectations' thought is it LD, its the declared expectations of the club. If our aspiration is now survival and cup runs then fair enough (it has been for most of our history), but perhaps there should be a statement to that effect, or perhaps a video. There are so many public examples for our idiotic support to gauge expectation over the past few years, here are just two of the gems:

Leslie Reed BBC interview April 2015:

"We'd like to think we have the structure to reach the Champions League in the next five years…But it's important to be established as a top-six club over that period...we are confident over the course of the coming years we will play in Europe and we are confident we are right to have an aspiration to play in the Champions League."

And Ralph Krueger around the same time to the Echo:

“What the fans of Southampton need to know is that, as popular as the big clubs are, there’s an anti movement out there in the world looking for freshness and newness, and in certain areas of the United States there’s people that think we’re a bigger club than Man United.”

Bullsh*t two years ago, bullsh*t now, but it's coming from the two most senior people in the club after the owner, the voices of SFC. The club can't turn the clock back to 1973 and wait patiently for relative success amid a few ups and downs, it has to protect itself in the marketplace like any other multi-million pound company. I personally thought Puel was an odd fit to deliver 'the Southampton way' on appointment and having seen him in action (so to speak) it's clear that there is a groundswell inside and outside SMS that feels the same. He's a dead man walking and no amount of loyalty, or fan fluffing on behalf of Reed and Krueger, is likely to save his neck.

It's not just the fans 'expectations' thought is it LD, its the declared expectations of the club. If our aspiration is now survival and cup runs then fair enough (it has been for most of our history), but perhaps there should be a statement to that effect, or perhaps a video. There are so many public examples for our idiotic support to gauge expectation over the past few years, here are just two of the gems:

"We'd like to think we have the structure to reach the Champions League in the next five years…But it's important to be established as a top-six club over that period...we are confident over the course of the coming years we will play in Europe and we are confident we are right to have an aspiration to play in the Champions League."

“What the fans of Southampton need to know is that, as popular as the big clubs are, there’s an anti movement out there in the world looking for freshness and newness, and in certain areas of the United States there’s people that think we’re a bigger club than Man United.”

Bullsh*t two years ago, bullsh*t now, but it's coming from the two most senior people in the club after the owner, the voices of SFC. The club can't turn the clock back to 1973 and wait patiently for relative success amid a few ups and downs, it has to protect itself in the marketplace like any other multi-million pound company. I personally thought Puel was an odd fit to deliver 'the Southampton way' on appointment and having seen him in action (so to speak) it's clear that there is a groundswell inside and outside SMS that feels the same. He's a dead man walking and no amount of loyalty, or fan fluffing on behalf of Reed and Krueger, is likely to save his neck.

So you want the club just to say 'we are happy making up the numbers of the Premier League and content with survival'

Can you imagine the outrage if Reed said something like the above?

Of course they will say the marketing guff.

I'm amazed people take anything the club says without a massive pinch of salt. You'll be telling me you actually believe what politicians say and still believe a bunny brings you Easter eggs next.......

That's a fact. The bloody rubbish served up by a half decent defence plus four midfield lightweights that couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo never mind pass forward or to each other with one striker trying his best but probably wondering what the hell he is supposed to do with the crap service.

A season ticket is a big investment and if you feel like you are not getting your moneys worth, then you are entitled to complain.

The majority of players and fans are unhappy with the manager and his style of play / philosophy. As shown by Leicester this year, regardless of what has happened in the past, if the players don't want to play for the manager, he has to go.

**** me, it's competitive sport not the Harlem ****ing Globetrotters.

As for "The majority of the players are unhappy", you just made that up. How can people have a decent debate about the club,when some just make things up.

**** me, it's competitive sport not the Harlem ****ing Globetrotters.

As for "The majority of the players are unhappy", you just made that up. How can people have a decent debate about the club,when some just make things up.

It's not made up, but you believe whatever makes you happy.

I'm amazed people take anything the club says without a massive pinch of salt. You'll be telling me you actually believe what politicians say and still believe a bunny brings you Easter eggs next.......

Good grief! I'm actually saying blaming 'idiotic' fans for wanting to 'aim higher' however misplaced, is not solely the premise of idiotic fans - some of whom aren't middle aged men from Soton grafted to an Internet message board but part of the 'developing market' Krueger has been trying to break into. I don't believe in the Easter bunny, but quite keen on eugenics...

It's not made up, but you believe whatever makes you happy.

Hard evidence? And not the father of a mate of a hairdresser please. If it is true we had the same stories in Koeman's time. Mind you, if I was only earning £50k a week for kicking a ball around I expect I would be unhappy too.

That's a fact. The bloody rubbish served up by a half decent defence plus four midfield lightweights that couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo never mind pass forward or to each other with one striker trying his best but probably wondering what the hell he is supposed to do with the crap service.

exactly nothing to do with his poor English or interviews

just his football approach

if he stays I expect to be in a relegation fight next season

Hard evidence? And not the father of a mate of a hairdresser please. If it is true we had the same stories in Koeman's time. Mind you, if I was only earning £50k a week for kicking a ball around I expect I would be unhappy too.

Players were unhappy (Tadic & Mane weren't exactly impressed with his hard approach, as well as a number of younger players who felt that they didn't have a chance of getting first team football), however, Koeman got results and kept fans onside with these results.

Koeman is a big name, which automatically gets respect from the players, Puel just doesn't have the name and players are similar to fans and aren't particularly impressed with the way (the style) we've played this year.

As I've said, believe what you want, it's really no skin off my nose.

There really isn't a lot to choose from out there and our profile has dropped slightly , for me we have gone backwards and specific players definitely have regressed.

For the first time I saw OR giving the ball away cheaply against Arsenal about four times which is worrying if he is going to drop out of form . Also the motivation and general demeanor of the players and the lethargy around the club is a concern .

My Choices would be ......Gary Monk ....connections with the club and an underrated coach , Silva and as a curve ball Nigel Adkins he would get the players fit and motivated and uplift the club .....dont shoot me just an opinion

There really isn't a lot to choose from out there and our profile has dropped slightly , for me we have gone backwards and specific players definitely have regressed.

For the first time I saw OR giving the ball away cheaply against Arsenal about four times which is worrying if he is going to drop out of form . Also the motivation and general demeanor of the players and the lethargy around the club is a concern .

My Choices would be ......Gary Monk ....connections with the club and an underrated coach , Silva and as a curve ball Nigel Adkins he would get the players fit and motivated and uplift the club .....dont shoot me just an opinion

:mcinnes:

:mcinnes:

I know I know .....you may see it as a regressive step but its the general atmosphere around the club is bloody awful currently , at least Adkins had the on the bus attitude and the players loved him , put a different coach alongside him might work .........get Sammy back as well would help

Last summer we were in a very strong position to really kick on, and much like after the FA Cup in 2003 (albeit with different people) I think we have bottled it. We should of got a higher profile manager last summer, one that would help to attract the sort of players we needed then to possibly challenge for a top 6/7 place. Now we need to invest significantly more and with this manager I fear we have little chance of attracting as good a player we would have with Koeman. Overall I'm actually ok that Koeman has gone but no doubt his reputation in the game was a major plus for the club. No doubt there was a clash of egos last summer between RK and LR, and hence what happened. Puel appears to have little ego, and is more the yes man LR probably prefers.

If Puel is relived of his duties I suspect we will go down a similar route with someone whose profile is sufficiently low enough that LR doesn't clash with him and can control him more. So the suggestion some have made with Monk and Beattie is not too far fetched but I find myself preferring we keep Puel over that scenario which says a lot.

I would like us to go for a young manager who was a top player, who has a good reputation and can attract certain players as much as the club can. As a club we are not on our own a strong enough pull like the big clubs are and so the people in our club have to add to that.

Last summer we were in a very strong position to really kick on, and much like after the FA Cup in 2003 (albeit with different people) I think we have bottled it. We should of got a higher profile manager last summer, one that would help to attract the sort of players we needed then to possibly challenge for a top 6/7 place. Now we need to invest significantly more and with this manager I fear we have little chance of attracting as good a player we would have with Koeman. Overall I'm actually ok that Koeman has gone but no doubt his reputation in the game was a major plus for the club. No doubt there was a clash of egos last summer between RK and LR, and hence what happened. Puel appears to have little ego, and is more the yes man LR probably prefers.

If Puel is relived of his duties I suspect we will go down a similar route with someone whose profile is sufficiently low enough that LR doesn't clash with him and can control him more. So the suggestion some have made with Monk and Beattie is not too far fetched but I find myself preferring we keep Puel over that scenario which says a lot.

I would like us to go for a young manager who was a top player, who has a good reputation and can attract certain players as much as the club can. As a club we are not on our own a strong enough pull like the big clubs are and so the people in our club have to add to that.

I just don't see the logic in this. By their own respective standards, it was an awful season for Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City and Man Utd (and Everton for that matter) who were always going to throw money well beyond our means at strengthening their sides. How do you expect us to compete with them in order to "kick on" and improve on our 6th place finish? Even with a good season, the best we could realistically hope for was 7th or 8th with a closer points gap than what it is currently.

I'm not saying I am particularly happy with our results or performances in the league this season, bar the run to Wembley (and performance in the final) but to say we should have been looking to improve on last season's finish would have either relied on us throwing stupid money at the side which we were never going to do or relying on a few of the big boys having another awful season which was unlikely to happen given the money they were willing to spend to rectify their own problems.

Puel doesn't inspire me with a great deal of confidence - not many players seem to really be buying in to what he is trying to achieve but I think he has/will achieve what was most likely at the start of the season, albeit in possibly the most uninspiring, insipid fashion.

Puel doesn't inspire me with a great deal of confidence - not many players seem to really be buying in to what he is trying to achieve but I think he has/will achieve what was most likely at the start of the season, albeit in possibly the most uninspiring, insipid fashion.

And that is the problem in a nutshell.

When we've been good we've been awesome but by and large that's not been the case and we've certainly regressed recently.

I've been pretty pro-Puel in general, I can see what he's trying to achieve, but as the season draws to and end, I've concluded, personally, that a "mutual consent" should be forthcoming and we move forward from there.