Saints 1 MIddlesbrough 0 - Post Match

St Chalet

MotM vs Middlesbrough (Home 2016/17)  

277 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Middlesbrough (Home 2016/17)

Glad to get the win today - I was worried 1st half when we weren't showing much ambition.

Much better 2nd half, cracking goal from Boufal, worthy matchwinner.

I don't think this was our best starting XI: no Cedric, Sims, Hojbjerg (or Austin, obviously); Bertrand, Yoshi unused on the bench; Redmond, Long & Davis didn't start.

Overall, we did alright, then.

As I've said before, time to reduce the rotation and have a more regular starting XI. Ever hopeful.

And... I wish commentators would stop remarking about VvD being linked to every 'top 6' club. He's ours, got a long contract and I hope he stays for a long time.

Not sure about that BBC said we had 7 games in December and another 7 in January I think we might see a bit more squad rotation over a busy Christmas period yet.

Just got back from the game, my thoughts...

Dire first half, better second half, fantastic goal, three points, great!!

I thought Boufal was very good, apart from the goal, he showed some real glimpses of hopefully what is to come regularly.

Classie did well, fonte looked good, Redmond improved the attack when he came on.

I'm sorry, I didn't see j rod do much at all today, he was pretty much a passenger imo. Missed a sitter too. We are desperately lacking a striker who can strike!

Austin out for 3-4 months is a mega blow.

Hate our sluggish forward play in the first half. So slow that 'boro got everyone behind the ball whilst we bored everyone going sideways and backwards. Horrible, boring trash to watch.

Better in second half, even saw a couple of quick breaks! We can do it, just need to do it more often!

Atmosphere was very flat (unsurprisingly). Nothing to lift it first half, just a continuation of the trash served up on Thursday. So much for a team response!

I genuinely feel I am seeing some of the most boring football at St Mary's I have seen for a long time. Yes last season there were some epic sh1t games - Stoke and Villa spring to mind, but there are far more this season. Puel may grind out results, but it is not pretty.

Hopefully he'll realise he needs to play the players we have in their proper roles, not square pegs in round holes to suit a system. E.g. Today, we should never have Romeu, Classie, jwp in the same team, just so limiting going forward.

Anyway, my views, from the match.

I thought Boufal was very good, apart from the goal, he showed some real glimpses of hopefully what is to come regularly.

Classie did well, fonte looked good, Redmond improved the attack when he came on.

I'm sorry, I didn't see j rod do much at all today, he was pretty much a passenger imo. Missed a sitter too. We are desperately lacking a striker who can strike!

Hate our sluggish forward play in the first half. So slow that 'boro got everyone behind the ball whilst we bored everyone going sideways and backwards. Horrible, boring trash to watch.

Better in second half, even saw a couple of quick breaks! We can do it, just need to do it more often!

Atmosphere was very flat (unsurprisingly). Nothing to lift it first half, just a continuation of the trash served up on Thursday. So much for a team response!

I genuinely feel I am seeing some of the most boring football at St Mary's I have seen for a long time. Yes last season there were some epic sh1t games - Stoke and Villa spring to mind, but there are far more this season. Puel may grind out results, but it is not pretty.

Hopefully he'll realise he needs to play the players we have in their proper roles, not square pegs in round holes to suit a system. E.g. Today, we should never have Romeu, Classie, jwp in the same team, just so limiting going forward.

Exactly my thoughts - Summed up better than I could.

All of our central midfielders are far too similar. The one time JWP actually turned when receiving a pass he then passed to Boufal for the goal.

Every other time it was safety first without checking if there was a forward option.

Personally I thought Clasie was looking to play forward a lot today one of the reasons he looked good today.

Not sure about that BBC said we had 7 games in December and another 7 in January I think we might see a bit more squad rotation over a busy Christmas period yet.

Hmm, fair point. Need some rotation with a schedule like that.

All the same, fewer changes would be nicer, maybe 2 or 3 at a time. As you also said, a nailed on 1st XI isn't likely with our very own tinkerman.

Hmm, fair point. Need some rotation with a schedule like that.

All the same, fewer changes would be nicer, maybe 2 or 3 at a time. As you also said, a nailed on 1st XI isn't likely with our very own tinkerman.

we have our own winter break so to speak. I wonder if the team will go away for some 'warm weather' training or what ever they call it

Not sure i can stand all the negative people on here. We are a team short on confidence but beat a team who are tough to beat away this year.

Puel deserves some credit today, first half was normal poor stuff with Tadic and Boufal so wide they were not involved and getting in the way of full backs. Then he changed to a 4231 with Boufal central and we looked a different team, even Redmond looked ok. Thought Classie was really good but also thought that J W P added to the forward play second half. Then Puel's substitutes tightened up the game, so ovrrall enough reasons to be happy.

Truly terrible first half! But much much better in second half :) puel celebrated the goal Like it has kept him in his job.... Maybe he was told he had to get a result today

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Or perhaps he is just as frustrated as the rest of us at our lack of goals from open play this season, and was delighted to see our record signing rifle in a peach of a goal.

Its funny because I must be the only person who remembers standing through many poor games last season and quite a few the three seasons before that. This idea that previous seasons we played all conquering, exciting, attacking football week in week out is bizarre because its so untrue. We are this season what we have been for several seasons a decent mid table PL side with good (not outstanding players) who are inconsistent and capable of playing good football and bloody awful football quite often in the same game.

Indeed. We have not, in any match this season, played as bad as our worst matches under Koeman.

And who can forget, "no plan B" Pochettino. What with all the sideways passing and that. Bloody passing!

Puel is getting unfair treatment.

Ditto...was sad to hear the boos at half time, that would have been unthinkable over the last few seasons and shows just how the mood and feeling from the fans has changed.

Great we won, awful game to watch and we seem to have absolutely no idea how to create clear chances let alone find the back of the net.

Good result against a side with a decent away record. Still don't understand the thinking behind playing Clasie alongside JWP - one of them only and preferably Clasie. I'd like to see far more movement off the ball when we get into the final third - too many players are static limiting the options of the man on the ball. We need to be moving and playing between the lines to create openings. Until we start doing that we'll continue to look pedestrian and struggle to make chances. More movement and we'll be a greater threat and the football will be more entertaining.

The people booing Redmond and mocking/sarcastically cheering Forster when he kicks the ball can **** off. Seriously disgraceful and if either wanted to leave at the first sniff of interest in them in the future, I'd be fully expecting and even encouraging them to do so. Absolutely ****ing mental.

A long, crack-papering post.

Just back from the game.

Saw it differently than some. The 3 stand out players today for me were Clasie, Boufal & in complete disagreement with some of you Jay Rod, who got my MOM.

Why?

Think he chased absolutely everything. Was even defending on the wing when Tadic went missing. Yep, he didn't look much of a goal threat, but my god his work rate was outstanding.

Said it a 100 times, we play too slowly & without intensity.

Crowd got on the players backs for going backwards, but when we kicked it long it came straight back.

Thought Ward-Prowse was awful. Caught in possession, mis placed passes, not tracking as he should. I reckon Reed should be above him in the pecking order.

Really pleased with the win. We needed it!

Indeed. We have not, in any match this season, played as bad as our worst matches under Koeman.

And who can forget, "no plan B" Pochettino. What with all the sideways passing and that. Bloody passing!

It's ok... After our next manager takes the helm, Puel will take his rightful place alongside Pochettino and Koeman in the Saintsweb Forum Selective Memory Hall of Fame... ;)

Sorry but I take no pleasure in watching saints these days didn't even cheer the goal , I pay my money to be entertained not spend 90 minutes bored stiff !

If you weren't entertained by that goal then I suggest you spend your money doing something other than watching footy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As dull as that was to watch in the first half, there were some positives. Clasie had one of his best games for us and we were generally untroubled at the back. I also felt J Rod looked decent, even if he did miss that sitter. He gets into positions Austin would be nowhere near and I'd be more tempted to keep him than Long, given a choice between the two. Boufal' goal - belting but as with Thursday we seemed to settle for the bare minimum and didn't really pursue a second goal. Disappointing to watch and risky.

Oh it was a shambles, no doubt about that. That doesn't need to be said let's be fair. But a win is a win we will take that all day. But yes, the less said about the entire performance the better.

As good a summary as any.

One or two of our players were not even at the races today and no team can cope with lazy ball-watchers. The justifiable booing at HT must have resonated in the dressing room judging by the brief super-charged performance after the break.

Puel is a stubborn sod that's for sure and has little idea on how and when to deploy his subs. Once again far too late to make any impact. The Tadic sub was probably pre-planned as convenient for both a returning Tadic and a not yet fully up to speed Boufal.

I hope Boufal's goal embarrassed every other player in a Saints shirt. He made so easy what the others find nigh impossible to achieve.

Clasie had one of his best games for us

Many on here have been unfairly critical of the lad since his arrival which I've never understood. He has played as well as he did today many times before but some only comment on his very few bad games. His reading of the game is second to none and he let one or two of his colleagues off the hook today by clearing up their mess.

Many on here have been unfairly critical of the lad since his arrival which I've never understood. He has played as well as he did today many times before but some only comment on his very few bad games. His reading of the game is second to none and he let one or two of his colleagues off the hook today by clearing up their mess.

Can't speak for the rest of the forum but I've always thought he was a decent enough player. Probably a decent long term replacement for Davis.

The biggest positive apart from the goal was the change in formation to 4-2-3-1 which meant our main striker had someone within 25yards of him for a change.

Felt for Jayrod first half so many times he bent his run only to see it back at Forster. Put the ball behind the full backs us better than sideways and backwards.

Didn't understand the Clasie sub as his best game for a while.

McQueen did very well again covers and reads it .

Quite astonishing that he could rate Clasie at 5 and JWP at 6. Crook is also very harsh on Redmond, Rodriguez, Davis and even Martina who did some very good things offensively in the 2nd half. Quite a bewildering summary, though he gets it right with Fonte, McQueen and Boufal.

I didn't watch the game or even listen on the radio but your comments today are what I thought would happen.

My first thought today is that isn't it supposedly the sign of a good team who still win but play crap?

After calming down from Thursday nights fkup, I thought if we played like this but scored more goals, would anyone care?

It's nearly January... let's just wait to see what the club does now in terms of getting some help upfront.

Better. But it needs to be repeated and improved upon before I forgive Puel for allowing us to drop out of the Europa League.

What was with those god awful songs about saints?

And also, second time they've run out of hot dogs 5 minutes into halftime. Try explaining to a 6 year old that he's not going to be getting the hotdog you've been promising all day.

i have to say firstly i am very pleased that we got the three points. There are still issues that Boufalls goal cannot paper over. Is it Puels system or is it the players not carrying out his instructions correctly? Whatever the answer is there was still to much sideways and backwards stuff for me. The result buys Puel a bit more time but we desperately need a few new additions.

The people booing Redmond and mocking/sarcastically cheering Forster when he kicks the ball can **** off. Seriously disgraceful and if either wanted to leave at the first sniff of interest in them in the future, I'd be fully expecting and even encouraging them to do so. Absolutely ****ing mental.

Our fans are morons, surely you must know this.

First half was absolute durge and terrible to watch. At least we played with a little more tempo and one moment of magic won the game. But this was Middlesbrough and I see some struggles this season at st Mary's. but our football isn't very exciting to watch. One positive was Jrod getting a decent run out and was unlucky today.

Bar the miss Rodriguez was brilliant today. Worked his socks off all game, pacey, strong, good in the air. He's back in my opinion. Pressed their defensive line all game and made life a nightmare for them

Boufal gets MOTM for the strike that won us the game. Did well as a unit to keep a clean sheet too

Totally agree with this.

Was speaking with an Everton fan last night and he was telling me how they are so unimpressed with Ronald Konman at the moment.

It's starting to dawn on their fans that they may just have bought themselves a lemon.

In Puel's defence we have replaced 3 players who were at their peak with 3 players who are 22 or younger. All three of them are exciting young talents but are not the finished article yet. Give them time.

Personally I believe the "new direction" that was being mentioned by our ITKs at the start of the season was to bring together a squad and a coach who would grow together into quite a formidable team in the medium to long term. In that context we're doing alright.