Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 79

Thread: Saints introduced football to Brazil

  1. #1

    Default Saints introduced football to Brazil

    Watching a programme on Brazilian footie

    apparently ex Saint Charles Miller introduced the game to the brazilians.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kings Worthy
    Posts
    20,136
    Blog Entries
    34

    Default

    Charles William Miller?

    Doesn't ring a bell.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Windsor...ish.
    Posts
    12,676

    Default

    He's on the banner above!

  4. #4

    Default

    Isn't there reference to this on the mural on the bridge over the railway line near the Stadium?

  5. #5

    Default

    Shame on you for not knowing

  6. #6

    Default

    Mea culpa

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Windsor...ish.
    Posts
    12,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoPints View Post
    Isn't there reference to this on the mural on the bridge over the railway line near the Stadium?
    http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthrea...r#.U5eJXye9KK0

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SNSUN View Post
    He's on the banner above!
    Yes, you're right - I always thought that was C B Fry.

    No, not that prat - the real one.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    the metropolis of Southampton
    Posts
    6,518

    Default

    p133 in "All the Saints".
    Doing an interview on him for Radio Solent this morning.
    Franny Benali doing a signing at Waterstones West Quay on Saturday 11am.
    Last edited by Fitzhugh Fella; 11-06-2014 at 08:53 AM.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    John 3:16
    Posts
    2,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Colinjb View Post
    Charles William Miller?

    Doesn't ring a bell.
    Gioriandewhateveryournameis

    We have a supporter for sale. This 1 doesn't know his history, tsk.

  11. #11

    Default

    Strictly speaking it was Tom Donohoe.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broadwindsor, Dorset
    Posts
    1,956

    Default

    I believe I read somewhere that Exeter City were the first club to play there.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    11,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    Strictly speaking it was Tom Donohoe.
    Only according to the curator of the Scottish football museum. Generally accepted in Brazil that Miller was responsible for introducing the game.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    in clover
    Posts
    2,215

    Default

    Nice to see it acknowledged on the tell last night. ;-)

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Deepest, Darkest Shirley
    Posts
    1,204

    Default

    It is pretty well-known, there are statues of him around Brazil and pretty much every Brazillian knows who Carlos Miller is. Southampton, for a long time were invited down to Brazil for a founders tourny.

    Like it's said above, how didn't you know?

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey_saint View Post
    It is pretty well-known, there are statues of him around Brazil and pretty much every Brazillian knows who Carlos Miller is. Southampton, for a long time were invited down to Brazil for a founders tourny.

    Like it's said above, how didn't you know?
    I am feeling a bit silly now . There must be someone else on here that didn't know. Please tell I m not the only one.

  17. #17

    Default

    Anyone got a picture of the subway down to the ground where it says "Charles
    Miller took football to Brazil... And the rest is history..."?

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sitting in shock at what has happened to our club this past 9 months
    Posts
    22,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB Saint View Post
    I am feeling a bit silly now . There must be someone else on here that didn't know. Please tell I m not the only one.

    Oh dear. Perhaps the needs to be replaced with just your user name.

    FFS many of the #globalsfc lads on tour in Brazil have taken books/souvenirs etc. I suppose you haven't bothered to follow any of them either? You know the guys actually recording the tour as Saints fans?

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB Saint View Post
    I am feeling a bit silly now . There must be someone else on here that didn't know. Please tell I m not the only one.
    Sorry CB, but you're standing alone right now!

  20. Default

    If there is anyone else who didn't know, they're not going to admit it now, and let CB Saints take centre stage.

  21. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB Saint View Post
    I am feeling a bit silly now . There must be someone else on here that didn't know. Please tell I m not the only one.
    on your own, on your own, on your own,


  22. #22

    Default

    I saw a programme last night that said Matthew Le Tissier played for Southampton, apparently.

  23. #23

    Default

    I read a story on this once, which stated that Miller went to Brasil and after a time wrote home to his wife and asked her to join him, and to "Bring a football and the children." I was very pleased to see that he had his priorities right!

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North by north-west
    Posts
    1,105

    Default

    Here's a link to his Wiki page for those too embarrassed to ask: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_William_Miller

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Marbella drunk again
    Posts
    659

  26. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB Saint View Post
    I am feeling a bit silly now . There must be someone else on here that didn't know. Please tell I m not the only one.
    I'll give you a hug CB Saint. Feel a bit bad you are getting so much stick. I do know the Charles Miller story so can't help you on that front but pretty sure my Dad - a lifelong Saints fan - wouldn't know it either. He is chronically forgetful, mind.

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    11,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beckenham Saint View Post
    I read a story on this once, which stated that Miller went to Brasil and after a time wrote home to his wife and asked her to join him, and to "Bring a football and the children." I was very pleased to see that he had his priorities right!
    Myth. He returned to Brazil in 1894 and married in 1906 (in Brazil)
    By the way when did Brazil suddenly become Brasil? I know it is Brasil in Portuguese but in English it has always been Brazil. Are we suddenly going to start calling Germany Deutschland or Spain Espana?

  28. Default

    On a side note, he, not Guly, was our first Brazilian player

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

  29. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VectisSaint View Post
    By the way when did Brazil suddenly become Brasil? I know it is Brasil in Portuguese but in English it has always been Brazil?
    Remember being mocked by my PE teacher in the early 80's for having a training top spelt Brasil. Allowing him to indulge in his stupidity wasn't the best course of action - Detention for arrogance

  30. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VectisSaint View Post
    Myth. He returned to Brazil in 1894 and married in 1906 (in Brazil)
    By the way when did Brazil suddenly become Brasil? I know it is Brasil in Portuguese but in English it has always been Brazil. Are we suddenly going to start calling Germany Deutschland or Spain Espana?
    Right you are. I'm getting my names mixed up. Was thinking of this article (which to save me a little bit of credibility here does mention Miller!) - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24537173 and the quote was about Thomas Donohoe : "So Donohoe wrote to his wife, Elizabeth, asking her to join him, and to bring a football, as well as their children."

    And as far as the spelling goes, I'm not sure there's too much in it really. Many words can be and are spelt differently at times, or colloquially - but as long as the reader can see that Brazil and Brasil are the same place there is no mass confusion at the substitution of one letter, then I'm not sure what the bother is!


  31. #31

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    in clover
    Posts
    2,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubai_phil View Post
    Oh dear. Perhaps the needs to be replaced with just your user name.

    FFS many of the #globalsfc lads on tour in Brazil have taken books/souvenirs etc. I suppose you haven't bothered to follow any of them either? You know the guys actually recording the tour as Saints fans?
    If that's the right hashtag then no one is following them.
    That hashtag is for people who want to follow "Globalsfc - Proud DoD contractor in Somerset, PA. UNREP, Accumulators and Navy Valves."
    HTH.

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    A hole in the sky
    Posts
    13,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plumstead_Saint View Post
    If that's the right hashtag then no one is following them.
    That hashtag is for people who want to follow "Globalsfc - Proud DoD contractor in Somerset, PA. UNREP, Accumulators and Navy Valves."
    HTH.
    Think you have confused # with @ there my man.

  33. #33

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sitting in shock at what has happened to our club this past 9 months
    Posts
    22,624

    Default

    https://www.facebook.com/GlobalSaintsFC

    https://twitter.com/search?q=%23GlobalSFC&src=typd

    #GlobalSFC

    Or on the Overseas Supporters Page on the main forum

  34. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey_saint View Post
    It is pretty well-known, there are statues of him around Brazil and pretty much every Brazillian knows who Carlos Miller is. Southampton, for a long time were invited down to Brazil for a founders tourny.

    Like it's said above, how didn't you know?
    Was in Brazil having a chat with some Fluminense fans asked me "what have Southampton done for football" in a sarcastic way. I told them about Charles Miller and they had never heard of him. I may as well have said James Milner for all they cared.

  35. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo-Saint View Post
    Was in Brazil having a chat with some Fluminense fans asked me "what have Southampton done for football" in a sarcastic way. I told them about Charles Miller and they had never heard of him. I may as well have said James Milner for all they cared.
    To be fair most of our fans still aren't able to say or spell our last managers name. Not sure this chat constitutes a cross section of the populace Tokyo and I say this because you're spoiling my fantasy that all Brazilians believe they owe Southampton Fc for all their success and rightly so.

  36. #36

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    the metropolis of Southampton
    Posts
    6,518

  37. #37

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Deepest, Darkest Shirley
    Posts
    1,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo-Saint View Post
    Was in Brazil having a chat with some Fluminense fans asked me "what have Southampton done for football" in a sarcastic way. I told them about Charles Miller and they had never heard of him. I may as well have said James Milner for all they cared.
    Odd because I once spent Brazillian Independence day in New York with tons of Brazillian soccer fans and they all knew who Charles (Carlos) Miller was...there is a statue of him outside the corinthians stadium.

  38. #38

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Garden of Engerland
    Posts
    4,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo-Saint View Post
    Was in Brazil having a chat with some Fluminense fans asked me "what have Southampton done for football" in a sarcastic way. I told them about Charles Miller and they had never heard of him. I may as well have said James Milner for all they cared.
    I was in Argentina for Christmas in 2002 at my friends wives (she was beautiful) house. About 20.people around the table for the Xmas eve meal and as always in South America the onversation turned to football. The dad asked me who I supported and so I proudly declared Southampton, 'who' he said and I repeated it and they all looked at each other saying 'Suehamton' and shaking his head. I was so disappointed.

  39. #39

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Deepest, Darkest Shirley
    Posts
    1,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fan The Flames View Post
    I was in Argentina for Christmas in 2002 at my friends wives (she was beautiful) house. About 20.people around the table for the Xmas eve meal and as always in South America the onversation turned to football. The dad asked me who I supported and so I proudly declared Southampton, 'who' he said and I repeated it and they all looked at each other saying 'Suehamton' and shaking his head. I was so disappointed.
    Should have mentioned the first ruler of Argentina buried in the old cemetery on the Suehampton common ;p

  40. #40

    Default

    I think the mods should do a poll just for South Americans to say if they know they know him or not. Let's face it, a number of our fans have never heard of him. To be fair, the main Fluminense fan looked like Turks if he had loads of Darth Maul tattoos allover his head. I don't think he was much of a historian despite his question.

  41. #41

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Deepest, Darkest Shirley
    Posts
    1,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo-Saint View Post
    I think the mods should do a poll just for South Americans to say if they know they know him or not. Let's face it, a number of our fans have never heard of him. To be fair, the main Fluminense fan looked like Turks if he had loads of Darth Maul tattoos allover his head. I don't think he was much of a historian despite his question.
    Having said what I have, I have been to Casa Brasil on the high street and the Brazilian manager (although, the cavat being that most of the staff are from Portugal) had never heard of him even though he's from down the road...although I would suggest if they reply "I haven't the foggiest" perhaps direct them to that ever-so-reliable (lol) source, wikipedia, they've got it all there.

  42. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VectisSaint View Post
    Only according to the curator of the Scottish football museum. Generally accepted in Brazil that Miller was responsible for introducing the game.
    Agreed that might be the general thought, but not in Bangu, Rio, he isn't that's for sure. They have erected a statue of Donahoe there. As I understand it Donahoe brought the ball to Rio and 8 months later Miller brought the rule book to São Paulo.

  43. #43

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sitting in shock at what has happened to our club this past 9 months
    Posts
    22,624

    Default

    Southampton FC ‏@SouthamptonFC 3m
    FEATURE: Read the story of Charles Miller, the former #SaintsFC player who took association football to Brazil – http://sfcne.ws/CharlesMiller

    Somebody else getting in on the act.

  44. #44

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,561

    Default

    That story was also in the program of Saints vs Exeter a few years ago.

    When I was working* I met several people of different ages from Brazil and they
    all knew who Mr Miller was.

    *I have now been retired for a year and never ever want to go to work again

  45. #45

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Deepest, Darkest Shirley
    Posts
    1,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint in Paradise View Post
    That story was also in the program of Saints vs Exeter a few years ago.

    When I was working* I met several people of different ages from Brazil and they
    all knew who Mr Miller was.

    *I have now been retired for a year and never ever want to go to work again
    If I could "favourite" a post .......

    But what a game though, the founder's club vs the first team to play in Brazil.

  46. #46

    Default

    An educational thread with only a hint of condescending git about it, A step forward,

  47. #47

  48. #48

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Padded cell with WiFi
    Posts
    2,290

    Default

    Having worked out there late last year, working with a Brazilian company, they all knew about Charles miller,but only a few knew of Southampton, and those who did knew about MLT. Watched some of the football being played on the beaches, they were better on the uneven sand than some of the player I've seen on a nice flat pitch

  49. #49

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,752

    Default

    How is this not locked? A thread to outalpine everyone. Just utter, utter ********

  50. #50

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Not Bury, but Clontarf, QLD
    Posts
    1,783

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB Saint View Post
    I am feeling a bit silly now . There must be someone else on here that didn't know. Please tell I m not the only one.
    In your defence, I was kind of aware of it, but not in great detail. The previously posted link:

    http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/documents/...48-1632761.pdf

    gives a lot of detail and also highlights the role of George Reader Saint who I'd never heard of.

    Also, it is no shame to display ignorance, it is a brave act, in this way you enlighten other people who are not so brave.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •