Guido Carrillo

SuperSAINT

Guardian's Ed Aarons:

Southampton still in talks with Monaco over a deal for Guido Carrillo. Striker has four goals this season

----------------

I reckon this one is quite likely.

Not really, Monaco have a target man crisis and Jardim won't let Carrillo go until Falcao is fully fit. He was moaning about lack of a real number 9 only this sunday.

So he may be injured. Monaco may still need him because of injuries and lack of replacements.

I hope that Les and Co. are not putting all their eggs in this basket.

Carrillo had some sort of minor thigh injury a couple of weeks back, he was on the bench on Saturday but I don't think he played at all. Jardim then went on about the lack of point strikers in his effective and went as far as suggesting that Carrillo and Falcao could be involved in their game against Nice tomorrow. It's confused I see but that's the exact situation right now.

Not really, Monaco have a target man crisis and Jardim won't let Carrillo go until Falcao is fully fit. He was moaning about lack of a real number 9 only this sunday.

Isn't that the sort of moan you would make if you knew the club were looking to sell? Depends how much power the manager has there.

I hope not. He is not the sort to come to our rescue and is he really any better than our loanees?

Sorry Dunc.

SAINTS HOPEFUL ON CARRILLO

Southampton remain in talks with Monaco for striker Guido Carrillo and are hopeful of concluding a deal, Sky Sports News understands.

Meanwhile, the Saints have not discussed potential moves for Atletico Madrid pair Nico Gaitan nor Kevin Gameiro, contrary to reports.

Isn't that the sort of moan you would make if you knew the club were looking to sell? Depends how much power the manager has there.

Well considering Jardim could probably stroll into most manager's jobs anywhere I'd guess that they want to keep him fairly happy. He's done a top job at Monaco despite continual player sales.

Can we recall Gallagher? If so would be worth a gamble to see if he has improved enough for Premier League
I dont believe we can rules changed on loan recalls.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

He can if a recall was agreed at start and only if both agree https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/2759309/what-is-the-loan-system-when-can-players-be-loaned-does-the-premier-league-have-different-loan-rules-to-the-football-league/

Edited by Give it to Ron

Can we recall Gallagher? If so would be worth a gamble to see if he has improved enough for Premier League

No we can’t unfortunately - we were a bit too quick to get rid imo. But although I am biased I genuinely think he could have done a job for us at present. At the very least he has a physicality.

Must be better strikers for that price.

I mean I still don't understand the fact we're ignoring a far better striker in Gabbiadini. Rather sign a winger/creator.

Well, I'd rather just have a proper manager than any player signing.

Agree. Why Gabbi is being ignored is an absolute disgrace for me. Played to his strengths he is top class & scores goals!!

I find it odd for a club that traditionally hasn't spend big, they are ok with Gabbiadini, Boufal and Lemina sitting on the bench.

All three are really talented players I'd love to see in the team each week under a decent manager.

Yeah exactly this. All three should be first names on the teamsheet. Either this manager gets a grip or he should just be fired because it's beyond a joke really. Surely the board can't be happy with that - we've invested a lot of money particularly on these three and they all start on the bench in a must win game!

Edited by davefizzy14

looks like this is going through. So uninspiring and no doubt it will take until deadline day to push through. Will be too late by then in any case. This really is the worst state we have been in for five years. It's sadly got to the point where the whole 'Southampton Way' and business model has become such an obsession for Les Reed, that he has ignored all the problems that are ongoing. Time to go Les, time to go MP.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

No matter who we end up signing this window, about half of this forum will be underwhelmed given the current mood towards the club. Hopefully he will improve our current attacking options if he is the target man as has been mentioned. Think gabbiadini could prosper with this kind of player around him (if given a start by MP)

looks like this is going through. So uninspiring and no doubt it will take until deadline day to push through. Will be too late by then in any case. This really is the worst state we have been in for five years. It's sadly got to the point where the whole 'Southampton Way' and business model has become such an obsession for Les Reed, that he has ignored all the problems that are ongoing. Time to go Les, time to go MP.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Why are you surprised by our dithering and lack of urgency? I and a few others have commented on this for years

Will hopefully be doing his medical this week.

He's the type of player we've been crying out for since Lambert and then Pelle left. He doesn't score many goals but neither did Pelle and Lambert in the PL. He will bring more to the table though, just like those two did. He can hold up the ball well and bring our wide players and midfielders into play a bit more. That's why our midfielders used to get a few goals when we had this type of striker up top.

6 goals from now until the season is done would be a fair return imo.

He's the type of player we've been crying out for since Lambert and then Pelle left. He doesn't score many goals but neither did Pelle and Lambert in the PL. He will bring more to the table though, just like those two did. He can hold up the ball well and bring our wide players and midfielders into play a bit more. That's why our midfielders used to get a few goals when we had this type of striker up top.

Both Pelle and Lambert averaged roughly a goal every three Premier League games so if this guy follows suit 5 or 6 would be handy. It’s all very well holding the ball up but midfielders have to bust a gut to get into the area. Who is that gonna be then ?

Both Pelle and Lambert averaged roughly a goal every three Premier League games so if this guy follows suit 5 or 6 would be handy. It’s all very well holding the ball up but midfielders have to bust a gut to get into the area. Who is that gonna be then ?

On recent evidence Prowse could make those runs, Davis has in the past, I fancy Lemina also has it in him. Our wide players often play like inside forwards so may find themselves in good positions off a target man.

I hope not. He is not the sort to come to our rescue and is he really any better than our loanees?

Yes. Hence why he's back up for Falcao and they are struggling in bottom half Championship teams. I know your backing your man but seriously..have a day off.

And quite a chunk of Lamberts were pens/free kicks. If there was a target man who scored 25 a season then he would be in high demand. Its more about giving us another option going forward which we currently lack. If he can chip in with 10 goals a season too then great

I find it odd for a club that traditionally hasn't spend big, they are ok with Gabbiadini, Boufal and Lemina sitting on the bench.

All three are really talented players I'd love to see in the team each week under a decent manager.

This is yet another reason why Pellegrino should have been dumped weeks ago. You have to start your best players week in, week out, particularly given the absence of extra games - and Boufal, Lemina and Gabbiadini are in our best 11 every day of the week.

This is yet another reason why Pellegrino should have been dumped weeks ago. You have to start your best players week in, week out, particularly given the absence of extra games - and Boufal, Lemina and Gabbiadini are in our best 11 every day of the week.

Bingo. My reasons for wanting Pellegrino out more than any. Workhorses over talent. I'm all for rotation, but 25 games into the season and I still don't think he knows what his strongest team is.

Surprised by negativity on this, how many of you moaning have seen him play more than 2-3 times?

He’s exactly what we need, if he comes, we should support him, and want him to do well, not start moaning because he is tall and strong.

It gives us the personnel to play two up and makes us much more versatile.

Surprised by negativity on this, how many of you moaning have seen him play more than 2-3 times?

He’s exactly what we need, if he comes, we should support him, and want him to do well, not start moaning because he is tall and strong.

It gives us the personnel to play two up and makes us much more versatile.

how many times have you seen him play?

You clearly haven't looked at his goal scoring record, not comparable to either Pelle or Lambert.

You clearly haven't looked at his goal scoring record, not comparable to either Pelle or Lambert.

His goals to minutes ratio is actually not bad. As has been said he brings something we haven't had since Pelle. We are much better when we have something to aim for in tbe box. Hence our best form this and last season was when Austin played or Gabbi was on fire.

As for Gabbi, I don't quite get the desire to get him in at the moment. Without Long we'd have been beat Saturday. Also for all of Gabbiadini's patch of form last year that is all its been. He was a part of the team that bored us at the end of last year and was guilty of missing good chances. He's done nothing this season to deserve playing. I know the tactics don't help but you jave to take it upon yourself to make an impression. Austin did and Long for all his faults makea a much bigger impression on the game than Gabbiadini. I do feel for him because he doesn't get the service his movement deserves and he probably is confused as to why he's not started much lately but has anyone seriously thought "oh Gabbiadini played well today" this season? Or "we were much better in that spell that Gabbiadini came on" because I haven't.

People can talk about giving Gallagher a go but he's on loan to improve because he's been deemed not good enough yet. Let him do that. If we signed a striker who's has a few good weeks this season and a decent half of a season laat year in the Championship this place would be even worse than this.

Also

This. Not every 6.5ft player is an adept footballer. His strike rate is **** poor. We already have the king of **** poor in that position. Not sure why people are wetting their pants over this transfer.

The only opinion i will respect is that of our French scout.... Turkish

Angola = Philippinesaint

Argentina = syd_barrett_saint

Australia = skintsaint

Brazil = Glasgow_saint, The9

Chile = Glasgow_saint, Turkish

Denmark = Dig Dig

France = Turkish

Germany = The9, 100% saint

Greece = Turkish

Holland = amsterdam, Saint Martini

Iceland = Dig Dig

Ireland = Downthe36

Italy = Wrensup, The9, Bananaman, saints_is_the_south

Japan = Glasgow_saint & Tokyo Saint, Brisolsaint

New Zealand = NZ Saint

Niue = Wrensup

Norway = Datsaint

Peruvian = holepuncture

Poland = Dig Dig

South Africa = dan abnormal, Convict Colony

Scottish = Glasgow_saint, Turkish, 100% saint, Bristolsaint

Spain = 100% saint

Sweden = david in sweden, Saint Martini

Thailand = The9, Right Sider

Turkey = Turkish

UAE = holepunture

Ukraine = saint charlie

USA = The9, socal saint

Which leagues do you watch regularly?

world_flags.jpg

JWP, Tadic, Lemina, Hojberg, Gabbi, Romeu, Redmond.... ?

They've all shown the capability, if not the regular willingness or desperation.

Past performance is a pretty good indicator of future performance though.

His goals to minutes ratio is actually not bad. As has been said he brings something we haven't had since Pelle. We are much better when we have something to aim for in tbe box. Hence our best form this and last season was when Austin played or Gabbi was on fire.

As for Gabbi, I don't quite get the desire to get him in at the moment. Without Long we'd have been beat Saturday. Also for all of Gabbiadini's patch of form last year that is all its been. He was a part of the team that bored us at the end of last year and was guilty of missing good chances. He's done nothing this season to deserve playing. I know the tactics don't help but you jave to take it upon yourself to make an impression. Austin did and Long for all his faults makea a much bigger impression on the game than Gabbiadini. I do feel for him because he doesn't get the service his movement deserves and he probably is confused as to why he's not started much lately but has anyone seriously thought "oh Gabbiadini played well today" this season? Or "we were much better in that spell that Gabbiadini came on" because I haven't.

People can talk about giving Gallagher a go but he's on loan to improve because he's been deemed not good enough yet. Let him do that. If we signed a striker who's has a few good weeks this season and a decent half of a season laat year in the Championship this place would be even worse than this.

Also

He's done more than Long. Over two full games less than Long in terms of total minutes yet two more goals. He has also accumulated his minutes through late sub appearances, not through 90 mins of being utterly useless.

Also

Also he's a 26 year old who's hardly scored any goals in his career, all whilst playing at a lower level than the Premier League.

I'd never heard of him before, hopefully he's great, but his track record leaves little to get excited about.

Also he's a 26 year old who's hardly scored any goals in his career, all whilst playing at a lower level than the Premier League.

I'd never heard of him before, hopefully he's great, but his track record leaves little to get excited about.

Yep, doesn't look great. Also, looks like a Pellegrino signing, which isn't a great sign as wouldn't point towards us planning on binning him any time soon.

Not one to write someone off before they have signed, especially one I know nothing about and as you've said, hopefully he's great. But, this sums up 'The Southampton Way' if you ask me. We have £70m burning a hole in our pocket (appreciate not all in 1 lump sum, but it's guaranteed), we are in grave danger of relegation and are crying out for a goal scorer to save our season and all we can muster up is a unknown, untested, reserve player from Monaco in hope he comes good.

Edited by SKD

I just can't believe the coincidence that the black box has come up with a player that once played under Pellegrino. What are the chances?!

Amazing really - I assume the black box picked him up whilst watching Pied.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Guido Carrillo