Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 300 of 420

Thread: Hojbjerg

  1. #251

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Next to Grace
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Billy View Post
    Hope he goes tbh, too inconsistent, clumsy in the tackle at times, gets caught out of position far too often, a bit one footed.
    Very much this

  2. #252

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Surfers Paradise, Australia
    Posts
    296

    Default

    Signed 4 new year deal

  3. #253

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Surfers Paradise, Australia
    Posts
    296

    Default

    Popped up on my twitter and then disappeared as quick

  4. #254

    Default

    Fake account.

  5. #255

    Default

    Interesting. It would be good to see a player Ralph sees as key commit to the club given the lack of resources, current speculation over the ownership and seemingly lack of any vision, despite my reservations still of him as a player. But, then we did get spoiled with Schnedierin and Wanyama for a couple of years.

    On Saturday after the Newcastle match he made a point of pumping the badge numerous times on his walk around to the fans. I know we've seen it from Lallana etc before, but I did find it a bit odd given the news about his agent change and the stories that were circulating regarding his future.

  6. #256

    Default

    Oh. Ignore that then.

  7. #257

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Surfers Paradise, Australia
    Posts
    296

    Default

    There was a photo and it looked like the saints Account

  8. #258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEADAMS View Post
    There was a photo and it looked like the saints Account
    Apart from it not have the correct name, not having a blue verification tick and not having 1.1 million followers

  9. #259

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Surfers Paradise, Australia
    Posts
    296

    Default

    Haha, It all happened very quick, we’ll see I suppose. Hope it’s true though

  10. #260

    Default

    PEH has the most midfield ball wins in the PL this season. About 30 more than 2nd place which Rice & Jorginho tied.

    Also has the most recoveries in Europe per 90mins of midfielders under 26.

    Clearly stats don't tell the whole story, but easy to see why big teams would show interest, especially as he will be available at a knock down fee, which will be very welcome in the next window in particular.

  11. #261

    Default

    Supposedly Spurs "top target" this summer. one of those clickbait sites though.

  12. #262

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bitterne Park
    Posts
    2,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Garrett View Post
    Supposedly Spurs "top target" this summer. one of those clickbait sites though.
    Christ, if he’s their top target their fans are in for a season of disappointment. Again.

  13. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bpsaint View Post
    Christ, if he’s their top target their fans are in for a season of disappointment. Again.
    & we are probably due some horrendously low offers.

  14. #264

    Default

    Don't think his influence on the team will appreciated until he's gone. When he plays well, we play well. A very crucial part of the team.

  15. #265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neef View Post
    Don't think his influence on the team will appreciated until he's gone. When he plays well, we play well. A very crucial part of the team.
    I would say his influence is clear. He would be a massive miss. Not least because our squad is a CM light anyway.

  16. #266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    I would say his influence is clear. He would be a massive miss. Not least because our squad is a CM light anyway.
    Agreed. I feel the same way about Tadic. Caught a lot of junk here for some reason but I always rated him. Now he's gone and we'd love him back

  17. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neef View Post
    Don't think his influence on the team will appreciated until he's gone. When he plays well, we play well. A very crucial part of the team.
    Very much this! I find it curious that of the three main midfielders in the squad, two are massively underrated/appreciated and the other somewhat
    overrated/appreciated (though he has improved lately). Hojbjerg is the foundation of the match day squad, along with Ings. Hope he stays.....he certainly has a lot of time to think about it!

  18. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    I would say his influence is clear. He would be a massive miss. Not least because our squad is a CM light anyway.
    Don't worry, we'll have Harrison Reed back to partner JWP in midfield. It'll be just like having a new signing!

  19. #269

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the doghouse...again
    Posts
    3,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by striker View Post
    Agreed. I feel the same way about Tadic. Caught a lot of junk here for some reason but I always rated him. Now he's gone and we'd love him back
    This. He's massively underrated, as was Tadic. He'll be a huge loss.

  20. #270

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    3,269
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    PEH has the most midfield ball wins in the PL this season. About 30 more than 2nd place which Rice & Jorginho tied.

    Also has the most recoveries in Europe per 90mins of midfielders under 26.

    Clearly stats don't tell the whole story, but easy to see why big teams would show interest, especially as he will be available at a knock down fee, which will be very welcome in the next window in particular.
    We play high press football geared towards forcing mistakes from the opposition in the area's PEH plays. We also have quite low possession stats. You put any fit midfielder into our team and they'd have high stats for interceptions/recoveries/tackles etc.

  21. #271

    Default

    Hojbjerg is actually overrated by our fans because of his fist pumping and badge slapping. They don't stop singing that bloody song when we have other much better players that don't ever get mentioned.

    He's clearly a million times better than any of us but in Premier League terms he's distinctly average. No shame in that, but I doubt he'd get much of a look in at a better team.

  22. #272

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ringwood, Hampshire
    Posts
    367

    Default

    In my opinion, hojbjerg is an average PL player playing in a slightly below average PL team. I think we are his level.
    He isn’t a game changer, he isn’t (normally) terrible. If he left, would we (could we?) improve on him? Probably not with our virtually non existent budget.
    If he will stay we should keep him. Else it’ll be another team downgrade....
    He isn’t a patch on what a younger Romeu was.....

  23. #273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint86 View Post
    We play high press football geared towards forcing mistakes from the opposition in the area's PEH plays. We also have quite low possession stats. You put any fit midfielder into our team and they'd have high stats for interceptions/recoveries/tackles etc.
    Or maybe he is particularly good at the role?

  24. #274

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    316
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint86 View Post
    We play high press football geared towards forcing mistakes from the opposition in the area's PEH plays. We also have quite low possession stats. You put any fit midfielder into our team and they'd have high stats for interceptions/recoveries/tackles etc.
    Which is why JWP is second behind PEH and way out in front of third....oh.

  25. #275

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    'Ampshire
    Posts
    703

    Default

    Gives the ball away a ridiculous amount of times. Puel dropped him for it and he’s never improved in that respect. Bottom half PL player as result. Strong CM in tackle, looks quite hard and good on tv interviews so not all bad.

  26. #276

    Default

    Hojberg is basically Glenn Cockerill without the goals.

    Think how Morgan flopped after his big move, and he was universally admired and infinitely better than Pierre.

    I'm sure he will be sold, they all are, but I can't see him doing anything at Spurs or Arsenal or (more likely) Everton or Leicester.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  27. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    Hojberg is basically Glenn Cockerill without the goals.

    Think how Morgan flopped after his big move, and he was universally admired and infinitely better than Pierre.

    I'm sure he will be sold, they all are, but I can't see him doing anything at Spurs or Arsenal or (more likely) Everton or Leicester.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I think it's right to say he might not be top 8 material, but also history tells us we'll replace him with something a whole lot worse....

  28. #278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benali-shorts View Post
    I think it's right to say he might not be top 8 material, but also history tells us we'll replace him with something a whole lot worse....
    surely not........ Clasie the the dutch spiderman.......

  29. #279

  30. #280

    Default

    Standard footballer interview really.

  31. #281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HarvSFC View Post
    Standard footballer interview really.
    Yes, just hope he remembers that until he gets the move he is the captain at Saints.

    His intentions have been clear for a while, not signing a contract and then changing Agent.

    Shame that due to his contract and the current circumstances we will probably get the same kind of money we wasted on Vestergaard.

    Going to be a big next transfer window for us in central midfield, especially if JWP has any interest in him and if Romeu wants to leave to get regular games as was hinted in January.

  32. #282

    Default

    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...assess-budget/

    Difficult one for Saints as we don't want anything dragging on through the window, whenever that is and certainly don't want him to sit tight and leave on a free the season after.

    Assuming he isn't interested in signing a new deal then hopefully we sell as soon as we can, but certainly this next window will be a strange on.

  33. #283

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    3,269
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    Or maybe he is particularly good at the role?
    Yeah i like him, but using those stats to justify it is of limited value, and he does give the ball away at critical times. No denying that either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrice29 View Post
    Which is why JWP is second behind PEH and way out in front of third....oh.
    Never fails to amaze me how a reasoned opposing point of view gets treated with such disdain on this place. Especially since your disdain (and apparent judge of ability between JWP and PEH is misplaced.

    I also checked the stats myself.
    https://www.premierleague.com/stats/...s/total_tackle
    James Warde Prose is 10th in the league of all players (and positions) for tackles.
    PEH is 12th.

    With respect to fouls, PEH and JWP are equal 5th. Neither of them feature particularly highly for headers.

    JWP is 28th for interceptions, (Bednarek is 6th), PEH is 25th (with 2more than JWP)
    https://www.premierleague.com/stats/...s/interception

    No need to compare attacking stats such as chance creation, goals, assists etc....

  34. #284

    Default

    Doesn't sounds like very good news to me, sounds like he's made his mind up he wants out...


    http://sportwitness.co.uk/southampto...bayern-munich/
    Southampton midfielder Pierre-Emile Höjbjerg says the club knows what he wants amid rumours about his future.



    The Denmark midfielder is set to enter the final year of his contract this summer after spending the last four years at St Mary’s following a move from Bayern Munich.

    So far there has been no indication from him or Southampton that he is set to extend his stay at the club beyond that point.

    If that isn’t the case, the Saints may be forced to sell this summer in order to avoid losing the 24-year-old on a free next year.

    Naturally, there have been plenty of rumours, with reports recently indicating that Everton may be looking at a potential move.

    Höjbjerg has now added fuel to those flames, stating that he is keen to make the step up soon and Southampton are more than aware of his intentions.

    “I know what I want, the club knows it too,” he told Sport 1.

    “I want to play at an even higher level than I am currently. The relationship between Southampton and me is fantastic.

    “The club gave me the platform to grow. I’m not saying ‘Goodbye’ and I’m focused on my club, but my goal is very clear: I want to win the Premier League and the Champions League.

    Höjbjerg’s arrival at Southampton four years ago was considered something of a coup for the club at the time given how highly rated he had been at the German giants.

    Many had predicted he would go on to become a star at the Allianz Arena, hoping he could be a long-term replacement for Xabi Alonso or Bastian Schweinsteiger.

    Ultimately that never happened and, when asked why he didn’t make the breakthrough at the club, he says it was his fault.

    “My biggest weakness during this time was my impatience,” he added.

    “I wasn’t ready to wait a year, two or three years for my breakthrough. I wanted to be important right away. I was too emotional too.

    “But how can I fail? I trained with the best players in the world between the ages of 17 and 20. I was in a school of champions. But I wanted to get out of there and write my own story.

    “I gained a lot of experience so that I could move on to develop elsewhere. When I was 23 I became a captain in a Premier League club. Now I’m hungry to get to the next level.”

  35. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Garrett View Post
    Doesn't sounds like very good news to me, sounds like he's made his mind up he wants out...
    I think this has been the case for sometime.

  36. #286

    Default

    At least he is honest, unlike a few before. If he has told the club what he wants to do then not much else to say really.

  37. #287

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    3,181
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Hmmm. Everton the "next level" ??? Everton winning the Champions League ???

    I think he will be disappointed.

  38. #288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    At least he is honest, unlike a few before.
    Who wasn't honest?

  39. #289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    Who wasn't honest?
    Clyne for one kept talking about a new contract when he clearly had no intention of signing one. The club even briefed he was likely to sign one I think.

    In this case it looks like Hojbjerg told Saints a while back that he wouldnt and wanted to see what else there was for him.

  40. #290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tamesaint View Post
    Hmmm. Everton the "next level" ??? Everton winning the Champions League ???

    I think he will be disappointed.
    We all know that ambition being voiced by most is playerspeak for ££££££

  41. #291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    Clyne for one kept talking about a new contract when he clearly had no intention of signing one. The club even briefed he was likely to sign one I think.
    Perhaps Liverpool hadn't been in for him at that point. In which case it isn't being dishonest.

  42. #292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tamesaint View Post
    Hmmm. Everton the "next level" ??? Everton winning the Champions League ???

    I think he will be disappointed.
    He’s not going to be a regular for any team challenging for the PL or CL. However, Everton is a set up from us in financial and footballing terms.

    Everton is probably his level.

  43. #293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    Perhaps Liverpool hadn't been in for him at that point. In which case it isn't being dishonest.
    He was going to United. Then the deal fell through due to his agent at the time.

  44. #294

    Default

    If he wants to go, let him - think he might not end up being as good as he thinks he will, but who knows?
    Concern is with the present situation and only one year of his contract left we might not get enough for him to fund a decent replacement, hence making us weaker overall again!

  45. #295

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Double Deuce
    Posts
    7,152

    Default

    Easily replaceable. A very average player.

  46. #296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    If he wants to go, let him - think he might not end up being as good as he thinks he will, but who knows?
    Concern is with the present situation and only one year of his contract left we might not get enough for him to fund a decent replacement, hence making us weaker overall again!
    Like Wanyama went.
    We won t get more than 20m for him even 15 m i reckon

  47. #297

    Default

    He's a pretty average premier league player. Couldn't see him getting into any top 6 sides. Everton or Newcastle (if their takeover goes through) would probably be the best he could do. Should be able to replace him relatively easily and I imagine JWP will be given the captaincy.

  48. #298

    Default

    Everton might pay him more, but he's not going to win anything with them.

  49. #299

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bartonia 2, 000, 000 years ago
    Posts
    7,164

    Default

    Smallbone can replace him next season !

  50. #300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    Smallbone can replace him next season !
    If we want to be relegated then yes.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •