Hojbjerg: Official - Signs for Spurs

ecuk268

8 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

We don't need any of Spurs cast offs thanks.

Cash, or do one.

Yes - call it "Rupert's Law" - we don't do business with North London Yobbos.

7 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

One of the few times I’d actually like a player to go to Everton.

... and be a spectacular failure there.

At least they are likely to be spending.

5 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Not in the same class.

On his day Tadic was sublime. I don’t think it was  a question of not rating him, people were just frustrated by his lack of consistency.

PEH is just average. 

But they are entirely different players - Tadic the AM with flair and touch and Hoj the hard working CM.   I thought he played quite well at Carrow Road; at least the equal of JWP's performance, yet the reactions to both are so different.     It's almost as if now that he's "off" there's not a good word to be said about him.

7 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

I'd imagine the players are Walker-Peters and Juan Foyth.

No wonder we've deemed it unsatisfactory. 

Foyth has looked truly awful every time i’ve Seen him and kwp has had about 1 decent game.

Hopefully we’ll steer clear of this deal if it is truly being offered

10 hours ago, austsaint said:

It's almost as if now that he's "off" there's not a good word to be said about him.

I was reluctant to remark on his meh performance for that exact reason, but the truth is I've thought and probably said he's average pretty much since day one of hi coming here. The Inter Milan game at the San Siro was a classic example. We got hold of the game, totally dominating but time after time Hoj passes were intercepted and momentum (and time) was lost. We played pretty well that day, Ive no idea how VVD didn't score and the team win, but one of the biggest memories is just how disappointing Hoj was  in possession. He's just not good enough with the ball. He's not a bad player, their isn't a lack of effort, but if the side works its socks off to get the ball you can't then give it away cheaply two second later. I honestly do not care if he goes and thats rare for Saints players with a hundred games under their belt. Of course its then all about who replaces him. If we have £25m+ to spend I'd hope we could find someone as good if not better. We will see.

10 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Foyth has looked truly awful every time i’ve Seen him and kwp has had about 1 decent game.

Hopefully we’ll steer clear of this deal if it is truly being offered

I actually thought Foyth has looked promising, but he's a CB being played out of position at right back. I don't think Spurs are blessed with defensive cover, so you have to wonder of they are of the standard we require if Spurs are happy to offload. I know you can find some gems, but Im always of the opinion that you go out and find the players the big clubs will want to sign from you a year later, not sign the players the big clubs have already worked out are not good enough.

The only player of theirs that I would take in that type of deal (that is potentially realistic) is Harry Winks. 

But I doubt they would be offering him or that he would agree to it.

Tricky one for Saints, the worst thing is to lose him on a free, but if say we could only get £10m then maybe that wouldn't be so bad?

I guess we won't want this dragging on too long as will clearly need to replace such a key player, but with the market like it will be for most teams, nobody is going to come in with an offer we find acceptable until quite far down the line.

Expect it will rumble on.

11 hours ago, austsaint said:

But they are entirely different players - Tadic the AM with flair and touch and Hoj the hard working CM.   I thought he played quite well at Carrow Road; at least the equal of JWP's performance, yet the reactions to both are so different.     It's almost as if now that he's "off" there's not a good word to be said about him.

I can’t speak for others, but I’ve never had much of a good word to say about him. Prowse as well. They’re both incredibly average. OR was half decent, but he’s stayed one season too long. Our central midfield options are really poor. 

39 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I can’t speak for others, but I’ve never had much of a good word to say about him. Prowse as well. They’re both incredibly average. OR was half decent, but he’s stayed one season too long. Our central midfield options are really poor. 

JWP used to be average. For at least the last year I think he has been quality. Barely ever gives the ball away, loads of nice one touch play, chips in with goals occassionally, great weight of pass. Also runs further than most others and never needs to be subbed, whilst carrying out the Managers' tactics to the letter. Hojbjerg different type of player but also very effective hence better teams wanting him.

Watch back our third goal, late in a game we were coasting in and see the role JWP plays to drag defenders away leaving Redmond free.

Pogba he is not, but JWP and Hojbjerg "incredibly average" and central midfield options "really poor"?

Makes you look foolish IMO.

56 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I don't have much time for our fans turning on PEH. He's worked hard whilst he's been here, and he's not refusing to play etc. He wants to step up and play European level football etc.

That's fair enough.

Not sure everyone is turning on him, I just think he is not rated that highly.

5 minutes ago, LeG said:

Harrison Reed is playing the football of his life at Fulham this season. A contact who works at Fulham FC said, "He's Immense, so solid and was the best player on the pitch by a mile yesterday". 

Wonder if he will finally get a chance or if we are ready to cash in?? Contract ends in 2021....£10m if we sold now imo

Read this on him yesterday:  https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/06/reed-shines-even-as-fulham-full-short/

2 hours ago, Saint86 said:

I don't have much time for our fans turning on PEH. He's worked hard whilst he's been here, and he's not refusing to play etc. He wants to step up and play European level football etc.

That's fair enough.

It is indeed fair enough and I’m not sure by saying he’s not good enough to play for one of the big six is classified as turning on him.

There is just the nagging feeling he will regret leaving when he spends most of the next few years sat on a rather expensive bench. But good luck to him.

I thought he looked more relaxed without the armband on Friday. 
People use to moan about Wanyama being solid in the middle breaking up play, and stats say likewise with PEH, but like Wanyama (until his last season with us) passing a ball beyond 10-15 yards and it becomes a lottery.

As for his wayward shooting - it makes me think of my golf swing, do it too fast too hard and a lottery as to where my ball goes - slow it all down and the ball goes pretty much where I want it, sitting in the Chapel and seeing countless of his shots coming my way, I can’t help but think you have enough time to slow your shooting action down just a little and avoid the snapshot trying to knock the skin off the ball. I stand to be corrected but all his goals from a good strike have been from where he has been running with the ball and hit it rather than the being stood still and trying to smash the Granny out of the easier chance through over thinking.

On 6/21/2020 at 10:33 AM, Dusic said:

The only player of theirs that I would take in that type of deal (that is potentially realistic) is Harry Winks. 

Tricky one for Saints, the worst thing is to lose him on a free, but if say we could only get £10m then maybe that wouldn't be so bad?

I guess we won't want this dragging on too long as will clearly need to replace such a key player, but with the market like it will be for most teams, nobody is going to come in with an offer we find acceptable until quite far down the line.

Indeed. the point here is that Spurs clearly think that Hojberg is an upgrade on Winks so they should be prepared to let us have Winks and throw in a makeweight to match the upgrade they are getting - I guess we could live with Eric Dier - another player they don't seem to rate. Not going to happen but fun to put it to my Spurs supporting mates.

9 minutes ago, Village Saint said:

Indeed. the point here is that Spurs clearly think that Hojberg is an upgrade on Winks so they should be prepared to let us have Winks and throw in a makeweight to match the upgrade they are getting - I guess we could live with Eric Dier - another player they don't seem to rate. Not going to happen but fun to put it to my Spurs supporting mates.

Dier has struggled for a year or more. He looks a little slow these days, maybe an injury has caused that. I honestly don't know if he would be a good signing for us, despite him being an England regular not so long ago. Something is not right there. He chases shadows and isn't sharp at all. 

What's Winks like? He impressed me when I first saw him, but he has fallen out of favour. I'm guessing that's because he isn't a giant, which Mourinho prefers.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Levy is “doing an Arsenal” this summer with the transfer window with all the “we’ve got no cash this summer” rubbish.

Gunners briefed the media last year that they only had something like “£25m” to spend and then they splashed out loads more.  

Hojbjerg away from home (like Friday night) is fairly effective. That’s because we don’t have the ball often, his job is win it high up the pitch and get it to one of our players who can use the ball. Any time on the ball or responsibility and he is absolutely hopeless, hence why he’s dreadful at home, because teams put the onus on us to play and you expect your CM’s to be the main source of creativity but he can’t do it. Great example against Norwich of him having a simple curved pass around the CB’s to Ings and we’d have been in, somehow he went from facing goal to turning to directly face the dugouts, before playing a simple pass down the line. 

I also really don’t buy the ‘he gives it everything when he’s on the pitch’. He covers a decent amount of ground, but there’s been tonnes of times i’ve watched him let players run past him, and not tracked runners who have gone onto score. His fist pumps into the air appease a section of the crowd, and people love his interviews, but he’s an extremely average footballer and I must say I find his gesticulating to the crowd quite irritating when i’ve just watched him pass to the opposition for the fifth time in 10 minutes. 

On 6/21/2020 at 2:54 PM, iansums said:

Not sure everyone is turning on him, I just think he is not rated that highly.

Like a few others on here, Im definitely not turning on him, just really not fussed if he goes. Theres so many players over the years that Ive thought , " damn, we're gonna miss him "" but he certainly isnt one of them. Hes not a speciality player and hes certainly not an all rounder.  Just very very average

The sentiment I hold is that he is a midtable player at a midtable side, at best would make a top 6 reserve in my opinion.

He wouldn’t get into the 2014-15/ 2015/16 sides that qualified for Europe for us.

But, my fears lie in getting a replacement. Finding midtable players like him is tough in itself- Fulham spent £30m on players like Zambo Anguissa who was awful. 

Proven players will go for £60m.

On the contrary bargains like Kante are out there I’m sure but will we find it them? It remains to be seen.

If someone offered £25m I would sell (even though we want £35m). Any less I’d keep I think

Edited by nta786

On 6/21/2020 at 5:21 PM, Chez said:

I actually thought Foyth has looked promising, but he's a CB being played out of position at right back.

Thought I read he was having another serious operation on his knee...so we will probably take him in part exchange!.

Edited by skintsaint

18 hours ago, Village Saint said:

I dont think Surs believe that at all regarding Harry Winks.

I believe Hoj would be seen as a relatively cheap player with lots of prem experience, who is a Mourinho type of player (battler)...and to replace Ndombele

6 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

Spurs fan in the office thinks we have no chance of prising Winks off them, they rate him highly. They want Hoejberg to play WITH Winks, not replace him. He would replace Ndombele who Jose wants to see leave. He says we are welcome to KWP, Dier or any of the up and comings, but NOT Winks.

They can give us Ndombele then.

6 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

Spurs fan in the office thinks we have no chance of prising Winks off them, they rate him highly. They want Hoejberg to play WITH Winks, not replace him. He would replace Ndombele who Jose wants to see leave. He says we are welcome to KWP, Dier or any of the up and comings, but NOT Winks.

Yeah can’t see them wanting to swap their fringe England player for hojberg.

Dier has regressed badly and doesn’t seem to fit what we want from a center back.

maybe ndombele has just had bad luck but would seem a massive gamble and he probably wouldn’t be interested either

Surely it has to be cash only. Do swap deal ever really work these days?

I'd hate to see us accept dross in p/x just because Spuds don't want to part with notes. Presumably they can't be the only option open to us?

36 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Yeah can’t see them wanting to swap their fringe England player for hojberg.

Dier has regressed badly and doesn’t seem to fit what we want from a center back.

maybe ndombele has just had bad luck but would seem a massive gamble and he probably wouldn’t be interested either

Ohh. Just seen we have almost the same number of posts. I might chuck in a few extras to overttake you!

Pretty sure we won't be accepting part exchange if they are offering a player Ralph doesn't want. 

Very unlikely we'd be giving the bloke a new 4 year contract and then a few weeks later lumbering him with someone he won't play.

On 6/21/2020 at 10:33 AM, Dusic said:

Echoing others, but you are dreaming if you think Winks is a realistic signing. He’s in contention to start for England, he won’t be joining a side in the bottom half of the table whose aspirations for next season are initially to stay up.  I expect Spurs would value winks at £40m+ if other clubs came calling

3 hours ago, labibs said:

Echoing others, but you are dreaming if you think Winks is a realistic signing. He’s in contention to start for England, he won’t be joining a side in the bottom half of the table whose aspirations for next season are initially to stay up.  I expect Spurs would value winks at £40m+ if other clubs came calling

Absolutely, we have as much chance of getting Harry Kane as we have Harry Winks, I sometimes wonder if guys on here follow football at all !!

• Like 1

Swap deals rarely happen, they are always talked about in the press, but how many times do you see them completed.

If Spurs don't have the cash then they are screwed IMO, I can't see us wanting any of their rejects. I mean KWP hasn't even got in ahead of Valery, so I can't see us going for him, and the rest of the potentials aren't much cop either. I mean on current form Spurs are what a top 10 side? Top 8, do we really want people that can't even get into that team? 

I don't rate Dier either, seemed good when he came from Portugal and early England appearances, but since I have seem him since he seems to ponderous in his decision making, gets caught on the ball a lot, especially when playing in midfield. I swear Mourinho only likes him because he is a big lump. 

Utterly overrated, and by none more than himself.

Offers so little. Can’t pass, overruns the ball, gets caught ball watching, can’t shoot, waves arms around a lot.

Fed up with him. We need someone reliable back there, a calming presence with a bit of guile. He’ll never be that guy.

Played a pivotal role in both the first goal and Jack Stephens sending off. Clap clap clap.

Our scouting may not be what it once was but I really think we can easily sign someone as spectacularly average as Hojberg for next season.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Hojbjerg: Official - Signs for Spurs