Hojbjerg: Official - Signs for Spurs

ecuk268

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12029979/tottenham-want-to-include-kyle-walker-peters-in-deal-to-sign-southamptons-pierre-emile-hojbjerg

Another team has met the valuation but PEH wants spurs. £35m would be very decent business for saints with just a year left and being very limited with the ball at his feet. Everton would be my guess. 

Wow I thought we were going to lose him for around £10m, which would have been a bit disappointing. If someone offers £35m we'd be bonkers to knock it back (we won't, and no-one will). Anything over £20m would be pretty good given his contract situation I feel.

I'd be happy enough for him to stay because I think he works well in our system and you can't guarantee a replacement will be successful - and he would need to be replaced. I'd rather not have to worry about that and focus strengthening other areas. However, if we get decent money for him I'm not going to be too gutted - he has good games but he also has poor ones. He covers a lot of ground but also gives the ball away cheaply and has poor composure.

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

One topic that this entire forum is united on is that Hojberg is shite. We can't all be wrong.

He’s actually got me questioning Guardiolas management skills given how much he is meant to rate him. 

1 minute ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

If Harry Reed were to come back as Hojbjerg's replacement, surely that would be an upgrade? Unless it was an arm tattoo contest?

Even Reed before a full seasons experience with Fulham was better than the performances we're seeing from Hojberg. I'll be really annoyed if we waste an opportunity to gain £25million or thereabouts without needing to sign a replacement player. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

One topic that this entire forum is united on is that Hojberg is shite. We can't all be wrong.

He's not shite, he's just very average. 

Personally if we could get around £10M plus KWP from Spurs and then give Reed a chance as his replacement, I would be pretty happy.

From BBC match report, the last bit is hilarious - 

They may soon lose midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, however. News broke during the match that Everton have opened talks with Southampton for the Denmark international - who actually filled in at right-back to good effect.

1 minute ago, beatlesaint said:

From BBC match report, the last bit is hilarious - 

They may soon lose midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, however. News broke during the match that Everton have opened talks with Southampton for the Denmark international - who actually filled in at right-back to good effect.

Are they blind?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

According to Liverpool Echo, Everton have started transfer talks with a fee of £18m mentioned but Saints seem keen to include a player(s) that Everton prepared to let go.

Looking at their squad I can't see anyone I would consider in both categories of Everton being prepared to let go and us wanting them, with the exception of perhaps Yannick Bolasie. 

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Looking at their squad I can't see anyone I would consider in both categories of Everton being prepared to let go and us wanting them, with the exception of perhaps Yannick Bolasie. 

Will be Jonjoe Kenny I imagine, seeing as they know we want a right-back. 

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Even Reed before a full seasons experience with Fulham was better than the performances we're seeing from Hojberg. I'll be really annoyed if we waste an opportunity to gain £25million or thereabouts without needing to sign a replacement player. 

Exactly. Reed's been one of the best players in the Championship this season. He can definitely do a job for us.

1 hour ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

He's not shite, he's just very average. 

Personally if we could get around £10M plus KWP from Spurs and then give Reed a chance as his replacement, I would be pretty happy.

Yes, fair enough. He's got a level of energy and all-action nature that is of some use, sometimes. But he can't pass for shit and more often than not a liability.

But all this talk of him being good enough to command £30m fees. Insane.

9 minutes ago, iansums said:

I’d like to see some passing stats comparing JWP and Hojbjerg. It seems to me JWP rarely gives the ball away whereas Hojbjerg is doing so on a regular basis.

Funnily enough I thought exactly the same so I looked them up on Whoscored the other day and they were more similar than I thought. We all know though that PEH is a much poorer passer than JWP. 

BCCFCB9C-2FF5-4E3E-B071-51AF5641EF62.jpeg

DE1E62C7-FEDD-4BFD-9ECC-24EB2187072E.jpeg

1 hour ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

Funnily enough I thought exactly the same so I looked them up on Whoscored the other day and they were more similar than I thought. We all know though that PEH is a much poorer passer than JWP. 

PEH mainly plays safe balls back and sideways and still cocks up.

Edited by skintsaint
  • Like 1

Yeah, PEH's states are influenced by the fact he goes backwards more often than not. When he does keep the ball it's in a very passive and safe way. Slows the entire team down when he's in it. Even Romeu offers more incisive passing than he does.

1 hour ago, iansums said:

I’d like to see some passing stats comparing JWP and Hojbjerg. It seems to me JWP rarely gives the ball away whereas Hojbjerg is doing so on a regular basis.

The trouble is, both JWP and PEH are both good at recycling play and keeping the ball with side wards and backwards passes. 

neither are great at passing the ball forward, which is why I think we struggle a bit in home games as we don’t really have a play maker to break teams down. 

both are very high energy and good at winning the ball high up the pitch though, which I don’t think will be that easy to replace. 

ive seen a few suggestions of Reed being given a chance. He’s had a great season at Fulham, but like PEH amd JWP, he doesn’t offer much going forwards. 

I think we need a bit more creativity in there, especially for home games. Smallbone might be the answer in a year or 2, but he isn’t yet. I like the look of jankewitz as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, PEH's states are influenced by the fact he goes backwards more often than not. When he does keep the ball it's in a very passive and safe way. Slows the entire team down when he's in it. Even Romeu offers more incisive passing than he does.

Agreed.  In fact I've actually been quite impressed with Romeu's forward passing since the restart, which is probably more of a sign of how bad PEH is at it than how good Romeu is.

Typical Everton signing. I know our recruitment has been poor, but they act more recklessly due to wanting to pay £35-£50 million for players. Richarlison aside, they've not got a lot going for them. Hojbjerg may go on to improve, but right now he's not good enough for Champions league level. No issues at all with him going. 

Good to see the "wants to leave for CL football" thing was all bollocks, just wants a pay rise. Neither Everton nor Spurs are anywhere near CL and I'll be extremely surprised if they are next season too.

20 minutes ago, igsey said:

Good to see the "wants to leave for CL football" thing was all bollocks, just wants a pay rise. Neither Everton nor Spurs are anywhere near CL and I'll be extremely surprised if they are next season too.

That could be the "add ons" in any deal though if either qualify for CL etc...

The sort of Jackanory contract that Les Reed was probably master of.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Hojbjerg: Official - Signs for Spurs