Hojbjerg: Official - Signs for Spurs

ecuk268

Pretty obvious that Saints leaked the story about PEH and Everton to get Spurs to come to the table with a serious offer.

Notice Dan Sheldon today wording it like this:

..."with the Daily Echo being led to believe Hojbjerg has visited their Finch Farm training base and agreed personal terms."

The other day it was:

"PIERRE-EMILE Hojbjerg has visited Everton’s training ground and agreed to personal terms after Saints accepted their £25million offer."

Led to believe by Saints and handily reporting it.

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Its not like it's a surprise, he's always said he wants Spurs.

Not publicly he hasn't. 

Articles saying he wants to join Spurs is not the same as the player liking Tweets that say he wants to join Spurs.

Edited by Matthew Le God

6 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Not publicly he hasn't. 

Articles saying he wants to join Spurs is not the same as the player liking Tweets that say he wants to join Spurs.

thats gonna go down well if Spurs pull out and he goes to Everton. Doesnt take much to upset them and that certainly will

2 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Sadly yes, this will rumble on.

PEH wants to join THFC, KWP wants to join SFC. Should be easy to grant those two wishes … yet it will rumble on.

The deals can be done independently from each other. Plus transfer window isn't even open yet.

7 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Sadly yes, this will rumble on.

PEH wants to join THFC, KWP wants to join SFC. Should be easy to grant those two wishes … yet it will rumble on.

simple, that's what every one wants, what's the problem? KWP has a spark about him PEH has lost his. Let's be 'having yer

8 minutes ago, Dellman said:

simple, that's what every one wants, what's the problem? KWP has a spark about him PEH has lost his. Let's be 'having yer

Because Levy has us exactly where he wants us. Hojbjerg only wants to go to Spurs. Saints can't afford to let him go for nothing, so without any alternative suitors (assuming Hojbjerg refuses Everton) then the most likely outcome at the moment is for Spurs to underpay for Hojbjerg and Saints to overpay (or don't buy) KWP. Levy has us by the balls and will wait and wait because he knows that we will get more desperate the closer we get to the end of the transfer window. He has history of this.  He is proper business man and this isn't football manager.

Very true, but not sure that we want to play hardball until the last day of the transfer window as Newcastle did nor do I think our finances are up to waiting that long if we want a replacement. I fear the worst here. I suspect Spurs, agent and Hojbjerg are all working in tandem and we are going to struggle to get close to £20m (never mind £25m).  Let's hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, WALK DMC said:

Because Levy has us exactly where he wants us. Hojbjerg only wants to go to Spurs. Saints can't afford to let him go for nothing, so without any alternative suitors (assuming Hojbjerg refuses Everton) then the most likely outcome at the moment is for Spurs to underpay for Hojbjerg and Saints to overpay (or don't buy) KWP. Levy has us by the balls and will wait and wait because he knows that we will get more desperate the closer we get to the end of the transfer window. He has history of this.  He is proper business man and this isn't football manager.

He’d like to think so. Personally I’d call his, PEH’s and the agent’s bluff by offering Reed a new contract and appointing PEH captain - of the U23s next season. Eg your career can rot for a season if you don’t start acting in a professional manner and have your go-for tell Spurs to pay up or chip a bit off the price for KWP. Think you will find PEH will need to force Mourinho’s hand a bit if that’s who he really wants in the summer. 

Edited by saint1977

1 hour ago, saint1977 said:

He’d like to think so. Personally I’d call his, PEH’s and the agent’s bluff by offering Reed a new contract and appointing PEH captain - of the U23s next season. Eg your career can rot for a season if you don’t start acting in a professional manner and have your go-for tell Spurs to pay up or chip a bit off the price for KWP. Think you will find PEH will need to force Mourinho’s hand a bit if that’s who he really wants in the summer. 

Would be very poor business to take that action rather than just accept 15-20million now and move on! 

3 minutes ago, djharvey said:

Would be very poor business to take that action rather than just accept 15-20million now and move on! 

£20m perhaps, but anything less and I'd be inclined to tell him he's staying. 

Are Denmark in the Euros ? If so doubt he'll want to stagnate too much.

19 minutes ago, djharvey said:

Not saying that’s what the club should do or will do but to have it as a genuine option lets other clubs know that there isn’t an old duffer/5ft tall kid doing our transfer negotiating any more. I want to move on as well but not prepared to let PEH and his agent dictate and Levy think he can take the pee on that and KWP. He said he wanted a CL club which Spurs aren’t at present 

I’d say Saints hold a good few cards. Not need to hold our nerve. If Spurs don’t match Everton’s offer, he has the choice of going to Everton or staying at Saints. 

In practice, if Spurs get within an inch of the Everton offer, you might accept it if you want to help facilitate the KWP transfer.

But, as a rule, if you do have two offers on the table, you don’t accept the lower one. Especially if it’s much lower.

1 hour ago, SaintBobby said:

I’d say Saints hold a good few cards. Not need to hold our nerve. If Spurs don’t match Everton’s offer, he has the choice of going to Everton or staying at Saints. 

In practice, if Spurs get within an inch of the Everton offer, you might accept it if you want to help facilitate the KWP transfer.

But, as a rule, if you do have two offers on the table, you don’t accept the lower one. Especially if it’s much lower.

I guess we might take a lower offer based on the payment structure. For example Everton are offering 25m over 3 years whereas Spurs are offering 20m over 2. From a cash flow perspective you might accept Spurs offer. 

8 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

I guess we might take a lower offer based on the payment structure. For example Everton are offering 25m over 3 years whereas Spurs are offering 20m over 2. From a cash flow perspective you might accept Spurs offer. 

Sure, just price in any delay/staging

2 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

I agree. There comes a point (with every place being worth about 2.5m) it wouldn’t be worth selling against a weakened squad. Let’s hope the KWP price is already agreed. Spurs are sure to try and pull our pants down as they always do..

If the story in The Echo is correct - that Hojberg has agreed to go Everton for £25m -  that's certainly more than I expected.  If his aim was to sign for one of the top six, he seems to have missed the target, something that he does too often on the field.  .  

6 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

yes, but if he stays then we are down £25m, then come next summer we have £0 to work with to sign his replacement. Saints do not want that. It's very bad business.

4 hours ago, Chez said:

yes, but if he stays then we are down £25m, then come next summer we have £0 to work with to sign his replacement. Saints do not want that. It's very bad business.

That's the nature of a negotiation though. You don't negotiate from your worst case scenario, but you do need to risk your worst case scenario.

If we accept the Everton offer and he stays, then maybe we make clear he will be trainign with the kids and not selected to play for the full year. Potentitally we lose £25m. Potentially he loses a chance at a meaningful career.

A lot of it is who blinks first. All sides have a lot to gain and a lot to lose.

On the logic that the worst case scenario is we get zero, you might as well accept £1 now.....

17 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The idea of him staying for a year and just training with the kids is absurd and will not happen in any scenario.

Not least because nobody at the club has an issue with him. Manager, board, players. All happy. If he stays, he'll play. Only people in this thread who have riled themselves up whilst scrolling through the posts on here have an actual problem with him. Club are keen to sell, player is keen to leave, both are trying to quicken it up and are using Everton to do so.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CB Fry said:

The idea of him staying for a year and just training with the kids is absurd and will not happen in any scenario.

Absolutely - you don't let players get down to only a year left on their contracts and then try and hardball who they can sign for. At the very least, it would absolutely kill our reputation as a reasonable stepping stone club for talented young players.

17 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

Not least because nobody at the club has an issue with him. Manager, board, players. All happy. If he stays, he'll play. Only people in this thread who have riled themselves up whilst scrolling through the posts on here have an actual problem with him. Club are keen to sell, player is keen to leave, both are trying to quicken it up and are using Everton to do so.

Absolutely. I don't have a problem with Hojbjerg at all and actually find it quite refreshing how honest and upfront he has been almost from day one of his time at Saints about his aims and ambitions. It's interesting to contrast his approach with that of say Lallana when he was at Saints, being debated on another thread, who was constantly kissing the badge and proclaiming his eternal love for the club right up to the point when Liverpool showed an interest and then promptly spat the dummy and demanded he be allowed to move NOW.

Personally I prefer the honest more mature approach Hojbjerg has taken and will wish him well when he moves on. I don't think he's our most talented player but he's certainly improved at Saints and if he thinks he can make it at Spurs good luck to him. Will be interesting to see how this plays out, we probably need to make it clear to Spurs what we will accept for him and stick to it. If Spurs don't budge then he stays, unless he is prepared to accept offers from other clubs. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

His comments on hoping to join Spurs may lead to Everton withdrawing their offer. Then Spurs come in and offer £15M, and with no other offer on the table, we will have to accept that.

So, not sure we hold any or all the cards here.

Yeah. Highly unlikely it’ll be £25m.

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Based on what? He's been terrible for us generally. 

He does strengthen the squad, and others( including Southampton)certainly rate him. At the end of the day, I’d rather that than being mugged by spurs...

1 hour ago, SaintBobby said:

It's all a game of bluff essentially. And who blinks first. The worst case scenarios never/rarely happen, but you get to a happy compromise by keeping them in play.

Let's hope we get £25m for him. Would be very good business.

As long as people realise that the "worst case scenarios" that people on forums make up in their own heads are not "in play" at all.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Hojbjerg: Official - Signs for Spurs