Hojbjerg: Official - Signs for Spurs

ecuk268

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

As long as people realise that the "worst case scenarios" that people on forums make up in their own heads are not "in play" at all.

Worst case scenarios absolutely are in play. Saints aren’t going to say “we can’t possibly do anything but let you run down your contract, tell us what you want and we will accede to it”.

Any, as long as people realise they shouldn’t pay too much attention to tedious internet bores who name themselves after great sportsmen, we should be just fine...

11 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

Worst case scenarios absolutely are in play. Saints aren’t going to say “we can’t possibly do anything but let you run down your contract, tell us what you want and we will accede to it”.

Any, as long as people realise they shouldn’t pay too much attention to tedious internet bores who name themselves after great sportsmen, we should be just fine...

As I say, people just making up scenarios in their heads then getting upset about it.

47 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

A lot of confusion seems to be going on in your head. Try to relax. Deep breaths. Maybe a glass of water.

Bless. Just bless.

As I say, just people making up scenarios in their heads then getting upset about it.

19 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Absolutely - you don't let players get down to only a year left on their contracts and then try and hardball who they can sign for. At the very least, it would absolutely kill our reputation as a reasonable stepping stone club for talented young players.

This is an intelligent comment that passes many of our fans by.  Like everyone I don’t like seeing good players leave, and certainly not all in one go as happened a few years back.  However the model works if you appoint good coaches, and you sell the club to ambitious young players that three good years or so at Saints may see them make a massive pay lift move in future.  Take our current negotiations to sign a centre back.  What do fans expect us to be saying, other than “come to us, help us get to Europe, enjoy that and then move to top club in Europe”?

A live example, Clyne left, big money and we then got four good years out of Cedric.  He moves for more money, we (hopefully) get KWP who looks younger and better.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Forester said:

This is an intelligent comment that passes many of our fans by.  Like everyone I don’t like seeing good players leave, and certainly not all in one go as happened a few years back.  However the model works if you appoint good coaches, and you sell the club to ambitious young players that three good years or so at Saints may see them make a massive pay lift move in future.  Take our current negotiations to sign a centre back.  What do fans expect us to be saying, other than “come to us, help us get to Europe, enjoy that and then move to top club in Europe”?

A live example, Clyne left, big money and we then got four good years out of Cedric.  He moves for more money, we (hopefully) get KWP who looks younger and better.

Agree completely. 

5 hours ago, Forester said:

A live example, Clyne left, big money and we then got four years out of Cedric.  He moves for more money, we (hopefully) get KWP who looks younger and better.

Amended. But yes its how we operate. Just hope at some point we can get a real good season in and a cup win and or top 6 place!

31 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

The Mail are saying that we've been "offered" Weston McKennie. Are they saying that Schalke approached us rather than the other way round? That puts a bit of a new angle on things to earlier reports, doesn't it? (unless I'm giving the Mail too much credit for their nuanced reporting :) )

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

The Mail are saying that we've been "offered" Weston McKennie. Are they saying that Schalke approached us rather than the other way round? That's puts a bit of a new angle on things to earlier reports, doesn't it? (unless I'm giving the Mail too much credit for their nuanced reporting :) )

I think there’s been reports that Schalke are cash-strapped and need money, so probably not beyond the realms of possibility that they have told us we could have him if we pay €25m, for example.

1 hour ago, trousers said:

The Mail are saying that we've been "offered" Weston McKennie. Are they saying that Schalke approached us rather than the other way round? That puts a bit of a new angle on things to earlier reports, doesn't it? (unless I'm giving the Mail too much credit for their nuanced reporting :) )

Would guess it’s his agents offering him up.

58 minutes ago, beavis17 said:

I think there’s been reports that Schalke are cash-strapped and need money, so probably not beyond the realms of possibility that they have told us we could have him if we pay €25m, for example.

I read a chap on twitter who reports on the Bundesliga say that Schalke are in BIG financial trouble. So it might not even take that much.  

Realistic piece con Sky Sports News, saying there will be no mega transfers this year, and clubs will have to be realistic as the loss if revenue due to ground closures and presumably much reduced capacity next season means prices will be realistic.

Never forget that anything is only worth what you can sell it for, no matter what you paid for it, same applies even in the la-la land of the Prem.

My main hope is that we can hold on to KWP. and get another centre back in.

On 26/07/2020 at 15:01, Saint Pete said:

Absolutely. I don't have a problem with Hojbjerg at all and actually find it quite refreshing how honest and upfront he has been almost from day one of his time at Saints about his aims and ambitions. It's interesting to contrast his approach with that of say Lallana when he was at Saints, being debated on another thread, who was constantly kissing the badge and proclaiming his eternal love for the club right up to the point when Liverpool showed an interest and then promptly spat the dummy and demanded he be allowed to move NOW.

Personally I prefer the honest more mature approach Hojbjerg has taken and will wish him well when he moves on. I don't think he's our most talented player but he's certainly improved at Saints and if he thinks he can make it at Spurs good luck to him. Will be interesting to see how this plays out, we probably need to make it clear to Spurs what we will accept for him and stick to it. If Spurs don't budge then he stays, unless he is prepared to accept offers from other clubs. 

Good post. I remember his comments about joining a small club with the aim of progressing so that he can a few years down the line play for a big club. You are right, his honesty was/is refreshing, but as a result is it possible for fans to feel any great connection with such a player? I would guess most forgot his words and rightly concentrated on what he did or didn't do on the pitch. After Lallana (who I actually thought might become the next Saints legend) I'm not sure I'll ever be terribly fussed about a Saints player again, no matter how many goals they score for us. Thus I won't be wishing him well. I don't really care enough about him to do so.

• Like 1

Was obvious it would go down this route and it will almost certainly happen in the end.

Just have to hope it doesn't also mean we have to wait to sign KWP and Hojbjerg replacement, although we usually sell before replacing.

3 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Awaiting MLG to ask for proof that Daniel Levy is difficult to deal with...

Haha!!

I just think we need to agree with Hojbjerg that unless Spurs can stump up the money, he'll agree to go elsewhere say by the 14th August as an example...It will leave us in the shit if we dont get this sorted out until the start of the season

4 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

I just think we need to agree with Hojbjerg that unless Spurs can stump up the money, he'll agree to go elsewhere say by the 14th August as an example...It will leave us in the shit if we dont get this sorted out until the start of the season

If only life was this simple ..... This is Mr Levy you are dealing with and Hojbjerg who has no reason to play ball with Saints

I know Saints wanted to keep the KWP deal separate, or so it was reported, but perhaps we should link them if it gives us some leverage. We can then say to PEH: "well, we would have let you go but Mr Levy obviously didn't want you that much as he keeps making impossible demands"..

If I was hojbjerg I would be starting to question whether spurs really wanted me or whether they saw me as a squad filler they can get on the cheap. If they see him as essential to their plans next season the £25m is still a good deal. I wonder if this one is going to go the way of so many other supposed spurs signings and we'll end up keeping hojbjerg next year. I seem to remember a similar amount of fannying about over grealish

23 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Daniel Levy #101

I'm sure PEH will be a fine captain next season...for the Saints U23s. Bye bye playing for Denmark in a home Euros. If we sign McKennie that's what will happen. PEH and his agent created this situation, if the's agent's as good as he claims, he'll be able to unsettle Mourinho for his client to get the move and put the skids under Levy, who is still under a lot doubt from their fans for sacking Poch. Pressure is on Spurs. Oh, and Levy needs the KWP money because Mourinho also wants a winger from Porto.

We've taken on the extra borrowing so we can move swiftly in the market in a shorter window this year. Levy is just wasting everyone's time and it doesn't stop SFC's plans. He's bitten off more than he can chew with Mourinho as unlike Poch, he won't be diplomatic if Levy tries to make this protacted.

You'd think he was our best player going by all this clamour. He's not.

Ings, JWP,  Bertrand all much more influential and better than him in our side. I imagine the club don't want this to drag on, but Levy being Levy will ensure he drives the hard bargain.

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Why should Saints roll over and give in?

Nobody is giving in, in that scenario both clubs are compromising spurs paying more than they want and us accepting less than we want.  The deal gets done and both clubs can move on with out wasting half the summer arguing until the same thing happens the day the window closes.  the football transfer market is just so childish it is insane.

9 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

Nobody is giving in, in that scenario both clubs are compromising spurs paying more than they want and us accepting less than we want.  The deal gets done and both clubs can move on with out wasting half the summer arguing until the same thing happens the day the window closes.  the football transfer market is just so childish it is insane.

It is rolling over when other clubs have apparently bid higher.

On 30/07/2020 at 15:07, Saint Garrett said:

Haha!!

I totally agree with this - both Hojbjerg and Spuds needs a deadline - if they can't pay the money by a specific date then Saints will begin the paperwork to transfer him to Everton or one of the European clubs. If Hojbjerg refuses to budge on that then just tell Spurs that we are not prepared to sell him to them so that they move on elsewhere leaving Hojbjerg no option but to change his mind and either sign a new contract or go to Everton. The key thing is to make sure we act quickly enough that Everton don't lose interest.

Just now, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

I totally agree with this - both Hojbjerg and Spuds needs a deadline - if they can't pay the money by a specific date then Saints will begin the paperwork to transfer him to Everton or one of the European clubs. If Hojbjerg refuses to budge on that then just tell Spurs that we are not prepared to sell him to them so that they move on elsewhere leaving Hojbjerg no option but to change his mind and either sign a new contract or go to Everton. The key thing is to make sure we act quickly enough that Everton don't lose interest.

Those would not be his only options. He could choose to sit out his contract and leave for £0 in July 2021.

8 hours ago, a1ex2001 said:

It's such a boring game the two clubs should just come to a reasonable compromise If spurs want to pa 15 and we want 25 split the difference at 20 and move on it's not worth all the noise.

£15m plus KWP 

Edited by Toadhall Saint

Probably fair to guess that Spurs and Hojbjerg are in contact indirectly and therefore Spurs will know if there is a risk he will go elsewhere.  If he is adamant he will only join them then they can wait it out to see if Saints cave in on price.   In that scenario their only downside is that they lose out on pre season time with him or an alternative better offer comes along.

How desperate are Spurs to sell KWP - does this give us any leverage?

Are we prepared to lose out and let him sit in the reserves?  

Feels to me that of the 3 parties we have the weakest hand.  Ideally we need an alternative to Spurs that may tempt Hojbjerg.  That then forces Spurs to act otherwise they will wait to see if we blink first.

Edited by John D
grammar

2 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Do people really still not understand that clubs can't just sell players without their agreement?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

if he’s not interested in going to Everton then we’re going to be badly done over sale price. 

Spurs aren’t going to get a better player cheaper than Hoj, so I see no reason to lower the price. I hope we stick to our guns.

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Spurs aren’t going to get a better player cheaper than Hoj, so I see no reason to lower the price. I hope we stick to our guns.

If he’s set his mind on going there I’d prefer to get it done in a reasonable time for what/who we can get and get Ralph the money than be faced with transfer deadline deal knowing that we’ll get a tiny amount in Jan and have a player walking on eggshells till then if we don’t accept.

• Like 1

Think Spurs will probably beat us down into taking about $15m for him, which is the lowest he could go for without us completely losing face. And you could argue that prorated over a standard four year contract, that's the equivalent of valuing him at £60m, which is probably actually a bit over the odds for what he brings.

Even at £25m he’s still by far the cheapest, proven PL player available. It makes no sense at all for Spurs not to pay that when there’s so much riding on CL qualification.

It’ll end up being a compromise. We’re in a weak position but that doesn’t mean we have to just bend over and take whatever Spurs offer.

6 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

You'd think he was our best player going by all this clamour. He's not.

Ings, JWP,  Bertrand all much more influential and better than him in our side. I imagine the club don't want this to drag on, but Levy being Levy will ensure he drives the hard bargain.

There's no clamour. Deals take time. People have worked themselves up during this thread to the point where they are annoyed it's not done. The season ended less than a week ago.  The constant need for hourly updates because of SSN and then social media really has turned football fans into spoilt brats. If it gets to the start of the season and it's not done, permission to wet yourselves, until then, it's quite literally affecting no one but people in this thread. (Before anyone says "it's stopping our plans to do transfers, it's quite obviously not and if we're planning our transfer strategy around a what if scenario then we've got much bigger issues).

3 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Think Spurs will probably beat us down into taking about $15m for him, which is the lowest he could go for without us completely losing face. And you could argue that prorated over a standard four year contract, that's the equivalent of valuing him at £60m, which is probably actually a bit over the odds for what he brings.

£15m plus KWP 

3 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Would be great if that's where we end up, but I fear it'll be more like £5m + KWP.

Would that be such a bad deal?   I think of Matt Targett fetching 13m a year ago - and KWP looks every inch a 15m player.     That effectively would mean Spurs have stumped up 20m for Hojbjerg with less than 12 months remaining on his contract.

1 hour ago, austsaint said:

Would that be such a bad deal?   I think of Matt Targett fetching 13m a year ago - and KWP looks every inch a 15m player.     That effectively would mean Spurs have stumped up 20m for Hojbjerg with less than 12 months remaining on his contract.

Tend to agree with this. I actually think KWP looks a far better player than Targett.

Edited by Hawkswood

• Lighthouse changed the title to Hojbjerg: Official - Signs for Spurs