Page 20 of 47 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 1,000 of 2333

Thread: Coronavirus Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Yet somehow all of a sudden we have the magic money tree appear and it's applauded.

Why does it appear when it's 5000 vulnerable people dying from a virus and not when it's tens of thousands dying from benefit cuts and sanctions?

Because the rich are scared of it too.
    5,000?

Italy are having the equivalent of a reasonably full passenger jet crash every six hours and it’s not going to stop any time soon. We’re a couple of weeks behind them.

2. Default

Yet somehow all of a sudden we have the magic money tree appear and it's applauded.

Why does it appear when it's 5000 vulnerable people dying from a virus and not when it's tens of thousands dying from benefit cuts and sanctions?

It's not a magic money tree, it's borrowing against the future and tanking our future economy to save hundreds of thousands of lives now.

We're going to be worse off for a long time once we get through this, but it's better than the alternative.

That's the whole point you penis. This country does NOT have the cash to continue this spending long term, it is a "war time spending" pattern which we, as a country, will take a while to recover from. Long term we'd be bankrupt. It is not rocket science.

Jesus wept.

More info for Trousers about dentists:

https://bda.org/advice/Coronavirus/P...al-impact.aspx

"The scheme is not expected to be used by employers who are receiving other public funding, including NHS dental practices. We are urgently trying to work out a way of ensuring that mixed practices can get some money from the furloughed workers scheme to cover private work, as well as money from the NHS."

And:
    Backdating to the 1st March only applies to employees that have already been laid off. Such workers would need to be rehired and then furloughed.
    Employees placed on unpaid leave after 28 February 2020 can be furloughed.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    More info for Trousers about dentists:

https://bda.org/advice/Coronavirus/P...al-impact.aspx

"The scheme is not expected to be used by employers who are receiving other public funding, including NHS dental practices. We are urgently trying to work out a way of ensuring that mixed practices can get some money from the furloughed workers scheme to cover private work, as well as money from the NHS."

Thanks again, this was what my daughter was told. Looks like she may fall between the gaps. Her dentist boss can only do emergency work (advised by government) so his income is significantly down, yet at the moment he doesn’t seem to be able to furlough her, so will have to lay her off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    That's the whole point you penis. This country does NOT have the cash to continue this spending long term, it is a "war time spending" pattern which we, as a country, will take a while to recover from. Long term we'd be bankrupt. It is not rocket science.
    Calm down dear, it's only money:

8. Default

Was going to respond to this by pointing out the blindingly obvious but I see others have already done so.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Thanks again, this was what my daughter was told. Looks like she may fall between the gaps. Her dentist boss can only do emergency work (advised by government) so his income is significantly down, yet at the moment he doesn’t seem to be able to furlough her, so will have to lay her off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The only consolation is that if the BDA is successful then her furlough could be backdated.

I hope all goes well for you both, and that goes for all our contributors everywhere.

There has been a new announcement from Gov.uk
    In light of the continuous spread of Covid - 19 the Government can announce it is necessary to completely knock down an area known as Portsmouth and move it 50 miles east to protect the wonderful city of Southampton from unsanitary practices.

Quote Originally Posted by northam soul View Post
    In light of the continuous spread of Covid - 19 the Government can announce it is necessary to completely knock down an area known as Portsmouth and move it 50 miles east to protect the wonderful city of Southampton from unsanitary practices.
    50 miles south would be preferable.

Clearly no easy answers to this issue. Not sure if it's been flagged before, but might another idea be to cancel the rest of the current season, but to allow every team to carry forward their points tally and goal difference to the start of next season (whenever that can start). I'm starting to think it might be the fairest solution in a bad situation. What do others think ?

Quote Originally Posted by mopleysaint View Post
    Clearly no easy answers to this issue. Not sure if it's been flagged before, but might another idea be to cancel the rest of the current season, but to allow every team to carry forward their points tally and goal difference to the start of next season (whenever that can start). I'm starting to think it might be the fairest solution in a bad situation. What do others think ?
    Personally I really wouldn’t want that. Ruin possibilities of a fresh season for each team.

No, what's the point of that? Just makes next season weird.

Quote Originally Posted by benjii View Post
    No, what's the point of that? Just makes next season weird.
    And league title already over in August.

The best thing about a new season is that it is exactly that, everyone starts level. There’s every chance a number of football clubs won’t even make it to a new season. If that’s the case the leagues may well get redrawn anyway......

17. Default

Nothing is fair until every side plays everybody home & away. Villa have games in hand, we lost 9-0 to Leicester (affecting our goal difference badly) but teams won’t play City or Liverpool twice, which are games they could conceivably lose 5 or 6. Liverpool could win the league but only have the 4th or 5th best record in the new season.

There’s only 2 outcomes that are fair, & will keep the lawyers out of it, void or finish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a solution to this which is fair:

Carry over everything from this season, points, goal diff etc. Then play next season in full, with any fixture that was already played "this" season (such as Newcastle at home) is played, the normal 3pts for a win and 1 point for a draw etc. applies.

However, when a fixture comes up that had yet to be played "this" season, (such as Arsenal at home), what ever the result, it counts double. So a two nil win, would mean 6 points and a goal difference of +4. So at the end of next season the table would be complete for a double season. Who ever wins the league gets awarded the title for this season and next season. The bottom three go down as usual.

There is nothing unfair as no result are expunged.

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by StDunko View Post

Carry over everything from this season, points, goal diff etc. Then play next season in full, with any fixture that was already played "this" season (such as Newcastle at home) is played, the normal 3pts for a win and 1 point for a draw etc. applies.

However, when a fixture comes up that had yet to be played "this" season, (such as Arsenal at home), what ever the result, it counts double. So a two nil win, would mean 6 points and a goal difference of +4. So at the end of next season the table would be complete for a double season. Who ever wins the league gets awarded the title for this season and next season. The bottom three go down as usual.

Still doesn’t work due to relegated teams. For example, an unplayed match against Norwich is a very different prospect to an unplayed match against Leeds under Bielsa.

Quote Originally Posted by StDunko View Post

No. Football is a simple game so keep it simple. Abandon this season, start again. No other sensible solution. Will keep the lawyers fully employed at least, working from home of course.

Just adding a sobering statistic here, in 2017/18 winter 26,500 people died from flu virus roughly 1000 p wk, yet nobody noticed except the poor families involved. Even though a vaccine was available!

Quote Originally Posted by northam soul View Post
    Oi! I live in Brighton thanks very much

No I think if they can’t complete the season just cancel it and start a fresh season when they can. Until everyone has played each other home and away league positions don’t mean a lot.

Having said that I think it would be fair to award the title to Liverpool. As much as I hate them they have effectively won the thing, the fair thing to do would be have the other clubs admit that.

23. Default

I think they’ll do everything possible to complete the season, even if it is Oct/Nov. They could even temporarily adjust the subsequent seasons with the Qatar World Cup being at the end of the 21/22 season instead of the middle of the 22/23 season. They could then gradually bring the seasons back in line over 3 or 4 years. They may not even want to, personally I wouldn’t be against trying summer football for the top level. Going to games in June/July is far more appealing than Jan/Feb to me.

Blog Entries

I think they’ll do everything possible to complete the season, even if it is Oct/Nov. They could even temporarily adjust the subsequent seasons with the Qatar World Cup being at the end of the 21/22 season instead of the middle of the 22/23 season. They could then gradually bring the seasons back in line over 3 or 4 years. They may not even want to, personally I wouldn’t be against trying summer football for the top level. Going to games in June/July is far more appealing than Jan/Feb to me.

There is no way that the Qatar World Cup will be held at the end of a season. It would be far too hot
    That is why it is being played in November / December.

Just postpone the Qatar World Cup completely. Don’t know anyone who would give a sh1t?

26. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tamesaint View Post
    There is no way that the Qatar World Cup will be held at the end of a season. It would be far too hot
    That is why it is being played in November / December.
    You’ve misunderstood. The World Cup remains in place, but that time will be the end of season as opposed to the middle.

2019/20 season ends Nov ‘20
    2020/21 season Feb ‘21-Oct ‘21
    21/22 season Feb ‘22- Oct ‘22 followed by World Cup.

Blog Entries

You’ve misunderstood. The World Cup remains in place, but that time will be the end of season as opposed to the middle.

I see what you mean. That would make sense.

Where do the euros fit in?

Blog Entries

Now is the time to look at pay in sports versus those professions the human race depends upon. It is only now that people recognise where real values lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Without a Halo View Post
    Now is the time to look at pay in sports versus those professions the human race depends upon. It is only now that people recognise where real values lie.
    That's just a vague, empty statement which looks nice on the face of it but isn't actually a solution to anything.

What are you specifically proposing we change?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    How did we recover after World War Two?

Quote Originally Posted by Guided Missile View Post
    Calm down dear, it's only money:
    Never thought I'd agree with a gm post. Just illustrates how Austerity was a political choice.
    Last edited by Jonnyboy; 28-03-2020 at 05:45 PM.

33. Default

Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    Where do the euros fit in?
    I would play them as a straight knock out midweek tournament, like the European cup used to be. At the end of the day, something has to give. Personally, I’d rather it was internationals than domestic games.

Took 50+ years to pay it off
    That was with parts of an empire to

35. Default

Debt to USA after WW2 was £21 Billion , lots of moaning by UK because of the £/$ exchange rate ! It was paid off in 2006 during T Blair's reign . It was lent at 2% per annum but had some sort of conversion rate attached which was bad for the UK. (I don't quite understand this bit ) The WW1 war bonds were finally paid off during George Osbournes time in the Treasury.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by East Kent Saint View Post
    Debt to USA after WW2 was £21 Billion , lots of moaning by UK because of the £/$ exchange rate ! It was paid off in 2006 during T Blair's reign . It was lent at 2% per annum but had some sort of conversion rate attached which was bad for the UK. (I don't quite understand this bit ) The WW1 war bonds were finally paid off during George Osbournes time in the Treasury.
    Basically the US screwed us over the money, atomic bomb and the aviation advantage we had. They played it well.

37. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Took 50+ years to pay it off
    That was with parts of an empire to
    Aye, we were starting the process of dismantling the Empire anyway, but it was WWII that probably finished it off.
    http://www.wikipedia.org/British_Empire_in_World_War_II

Our economy still feels the effect of WWII even now.

We didn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by East Kent Saint View Post
    Yet somehow we managed to scrape together enough cash to set up the NHS!
    Last edited by Jonnyboy; 28-03-2020 at 07:11 PM.

I've no idea what you're trying to argue here Johnny. It's a completely different world to 1948.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    I've no idea what you're trying to argue here Johnny. It's a completely different world to 1948.
    See GM's graph.

I would play them as a straight knock out midweek tournament, like the European cup used to be. At the end of the day, something has to give. Personally, I’d rather it was internationals than domestic games.

Not a bad idea that although with champions league etc and domestic cups it'd be difficult but could be made to work.
    I'm with you on favouring domestic football over internationals - if something has to give its internationals for me.

Juventus players taking a four month pay freeze. Good for them and the least they could all, in the top flight leagues, do. For some reason I can't see that happening over here. I really hope I'm wrong. In the long run it's in their own interests surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Toast View Post
    Juventus players taking a four month pay freeze. Good for them and the least they could all, in the top flight leagues, do. For some reason I can't see that happening over here. I really hope I'm wrong. In the long run it's in their own interests surely?
    That's good to see, the vast earnings most have already banked makes it a bit more bearable for them but hope that sets a precedence.

Even if players agreed to a substantial pay cut for the period that would be something. They may not be playing matches but they'll be expected to train and keep match fit-ish ready to go as soon as competition resumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Toast View Post
    I suppose (& believe me I'm playing devils advocate here) A footballers career is a little bit unusual. If you are a low to middling player , and your contract is due to run out in 12 months..& more crucially you don't know what the football landscape is going to look like after this has ended (I think we can be certain there will be less money to throw about at average players) you could sort off understand why that sort of player may not want to take a pay freeze. (Again i stress I am playing devils advocate), but it may not always be as simple as saying, 'yeah footballers make ****loads of cash, they can afford it' everyones situation is different

Quote Originally Posted by wadesmith View Post
    I suppose (& believe me I'm playing devils advocate here) A footballers career is a little bit unusual. If you are a low to middling player , and your contract is due to run out in 12 months..& more crucially you don't know what the football landscape is going to look like after this has ended (I think we can be certain there will be less money to throw about at average players) you could sort off understand why that sort of player may not want to take a pay freeze. (Again i stress I am playing devils advocate), but it may not always be as simple as saying, 'yeah footballers make ****loads of cash, they can afford it' everyones situation is different
    Even low to middling PL players earn about 1.5m a year. They're as well remunerated as the MDs and CEOs of medium-sized businesses. They'll be fine.

Blog Entries

They’ll definitely try their best to finish this season off.

If we void the season now, means the PL lose out on £800m/owe it back to Sky+BT and overseas.

You gotta remember clubs like Villa have already spent money expecting to receive that money, etc etc etc.

I think the leagues take precedence, so fully expect behind closed doors fixtures as soon as testing becomes more widely available.

Quote Originally Posted by nta786 View Post
    They’ll definitely try their best to finish this season off.

If we void the season now, means the PL lose out on £800m/owe it back to Sky+BT and overseas.

You gotta remember clubs like Villa have already spent money expecting to receive that money, etc etc etc.

I think the leagues take precedence, so fully expect behind closed doors fixtures as soon as testing becomes more widely available.
    On the other hand if they void the season, teams like AVilla will be guaranteed another season the top flight....

WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!

I've found I haven't missed the footie nearly as much as I thought I would. Right now it just doesn't seem that important.

Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    I've found I haven't missed the footie nearly as much as I thought I would. Right now it just doesn't seem that important.
    I have but more because I think it would provide a good distraction.