Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/portsmouth/9239886/Portsmouth-fans-urged-to-invest-in-rescue-plan.html

The trust is hoping to persuade another 1,000 supporters to pledge £1,000 each to a fighting fund that the trust hopes will give it a realistic chance of reclaiming the club for their fans. It estimates that it will need a minimum of £5million to persuade Birch to take the trust seriously, and has made significant progress towards that total.

Several thousand fans have already deposited £100 in lieu of their £1,000 payment, and the trust is in talks with a handful of high net-worth individuals considering putting in six-figure sums for equity stakes in the club. A further 20 or so supporters are considering contributions of £50,000 to become associate directors.

Perhaps most significantly, there have been talks with the local council about what role it can play in helping what would be a true community buy-out of an institution integral to the city and its people.

The trust intends to run the club with an experienced management team overseen by a board made up of major shareholders, trust members overseeing the interests of the thousands of small shareholders, and non-executive directors.

Its members intend to run the club so that they spend no more than they earn, a revolutionary principle at a club where financial probity has been rarer than clean sheets.

Appleton sounds like a decent competent manager do we really want him at WBA now that we are in the Premier. Sooner a Billy Big ******** that might cock it up.

I don't think he's done that good a job. The squad he had at his disposal for most of the season should have been able to get itself more than 10 points clear of the bottom three before the problems started.

Every manager down there seems to get hero-worshipped even when they're terrible, they'd give full backing to a chimp that could pour a cup of tea if it was given the job.

If Carlsberg did irony - from The Snooze trust pledge article comments:

85 dashizzle

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 at 08:21 PM

Ignored this month's council tax to get my £100 in - well worth it, although it's going to be a long month if the other £900 becomes due!

Report Unsuitable

Priceless !

Can't help but think that many of the Phew were caught in the frenzy of excitement (in their eyes) of having a share of P****y but now a few weeks down the line many will have had second thoughts about throwing a grand down a drain (one with fat in it no doubt). The more intelligent ones will have realised they will never see a return for their 'investment' and others will have been talked out of it by worried spouses. I would be surprised if half the pledges come to fruition - not that they would admit it.

I'm with Steve on this one - they have embraced every manager in the disturbing style of an abuse-victim - their emotions have gone awry and they now believe that all of their managers are wonderful and will look after them.

We had it with prossie-bothering, relegation expert and embarassing centre-circle speech monkey Avram who abandoned them and went to West Ham where he annnounced he had joined a club with the best fans in the world, then Cotterill was a tactical genius for narrowly steering the highest paid squad in the division away from relegation.

They only went off him when he left.

Now Appy has worked miracles inspiring his overpaid greed monsters all the way to league one.

Perhaps a glance at the last three seasons' league tables might offer a better indication of who did a good job...looks like none of them to me.

As for the Telegraph, their piece the other day was wholly inaccurate, I don't see anything different in that one.

Several thousand people have already pledged?

No they haven't.

20 or so supporters are considering putting up £50K plus?

No they're not.

Spin don't pay the bills.

Can't help but think that many of the Phew were caught in the frenzy of excitement (in their eyes) of having a share of P****y but now a few weeks down the line many will have had second thoughts about throwing a grand down a drain (one with fat in it no doubt). The more intelligent ones will have realised they will never see a return for their 'investment' and others will have been talked out of it by worried spouses. I would be surprised if half the pledges come to fruition - not that they would admit it.

This was always going to be an issue, you have to be prepared to basically burn a grand to be able to then fork out for a ST to get the same value... To me the big issue really is the £14m of bullet proof contracts that have to honoured for next season too. I cant see who is going to take the likes of Kitson off their hands, chances are the PST will have to go back to its members for another grand next year to pay for TBH!

(not forgetting all the saints that will be withdrawing their £97.50 in a couple of weeks)

They are suggesting they have found some £50k and £100k investors in exchange for directorships which will help things considerably. The issue with this is the huge divisions, factions amoungst the group and egos gobbing off to the press. I give you Lowe, Wilde, Crouch and all the other hangers on (Trant, Richards etc).

I remain convinced that the trust initiative is for plan b, and a couple of million will go a fair way to rebuilding at Moneyfields... otherwise this trust needs more than £3-5m, more like £20m...

My position is secured, I WILL get my money back

ErhGF.jpg

In other news Voldermort is pressing on as the fans favorite to replace Roy at WBA, leading the pack by a fair distance at 35.6%!

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/west-bromwich-albion-fc-news/2012/04/30/west-brom-vote-who-should-be-the-next-baggies-manager-97319-30870217/

The key document in all this will be the one the trust has to put out with the share offer. It's one thing putting in £100 quid you can get back but when the deal is spelt out in black and white in terms of the risk of owning one or more shares I am sure many will think twice.

Edited by pedg

37% now............ a clear front runner :D

I wonder how many of the votes are from us lot ?

I wonder if the grown ups at WBA will be swayed by the "fans" vote ?

This is all so exciting.

I still believe they will be wound up,the trust thingy is a waste of time.

God bless HMRC.

To be fair to Appleton, I'm sure his spell at Pompey will stand him in good stead for the future - if you can still maintain a semblance of dignity with utter carnage going on around you then that's a good start, but he's nowhere near the level of manager a relatively well-established Premier League club should be looking at yet.

To be fair to Appleton, I'm sure his spell at Pompey will stand him in good stead for the future - if you can still maintain a semblance of dignity with utter carnage going on around you then that's a good start, but he's nowhere near the level of manager a relatively well-established Premier League club should be looking at yet.

Still fun to vote though !

Again, can someone explain to me why they are called the "phew". I understand the blue "few" as its a joke based on the fact there aren't many of them....but "phew" just doesn't make sense.

or is it just me

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/few

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/phew

I think i was among the first to use phew (the relevance is fishy stench ?) instead of few and it then gained use.

This is all so exciting.

God bless HMRC.

Just took a small Kitkat break to throw another dozen votes on their...38% now!

It is rewarding to help Voldermort get out of portsea before he gets dragged to Moneyfields with them.

lord-voldemort-hp7-chair-320x480-iphone.jpg

Poor old Corp (ps he is struggling to shift an old camera) is being educated on POL just how Sol Cambell has managed to retire... the £15million you mugs paid him probably helped! They are unsure if he has finished suing them yet... when sol, went up, to lift the cheating cup, he made a claim, he made a claim... PMSL!

Again, can someone explain to me why they are called the "phew". I understand the blue "few" as its a joke based on the fact there aren't many of them....but "phew" just doesn't make sense.

or is it just me

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/few

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/phew

I do not know the exact origin, but suppose that it is a play on words incorporating 'few' as in not many and 'phew' as in smelly !

Whatever, it seems to apply to them and is quite appropriate !

If this thread were to continue for a couple of years then it may even make the Oxford dictionary as a new word !!

My old gardening mate Hayling Pete gave us one of those exotic Ben Haim pot plants for the patio, he said it would be really good.

But the little fecker took root and sucked all the life out of the shrubbery, it never bloomed despite us spending a fortune on it, just sat in the corner taking up space.

I left it out all winter last year and it still wouldn't budge, was a ba$tard to get rid of, I couldn't even give it away in the end.

It was one of the main reasons we were forced to concrete over the grass and had to sell the land to Tesco.

That and the fact that I was paying a gardener £36,000 a week.

Hopefully my spindly Kitson tree will fare better - the leaves turn a beautiful red in the autumn.

My old gardening mate Hayling Pete gave us one of those exotic Ben Haim pot plants for the patio, he said it would be really good.

But the little fecker took root and sucked all the life out of the shrubbery, it never bloomed despite us spending a fortune on it, just sat in the corner taking up space.

I left it out all winter last year and it still wouldn't budge, was a ba$tard to get rid of, I couldn't even give it away in the end.

It was one of the main reasons we were forced to concrete over the grass and had to sell the land to Tesco.

Hopefully my spindly Kitson tree will fare better - the leaves turn a beautiful red in the autumn.

So what you are saying is TBH is the footballing equivalent of japanese knotweed

Just took a small Kitkat break to throw another dozen votes on their...38% now!

It is rewarding to help Voldermort get out of portsea before he gets dragged to Moneyfields with them.

p*mpey1898's added a few more comments to that article - not sure any west brom are aware of this though!

:toppa:

Even by your high standards, RB, that's an absolute gem!

This is all so exciting.

God bless HMRC.

Very likely, but not immediately*. Chinny will find a way to keep the rotten, festering, foul, disgusting corpse on life support long enough to grab as much of the remaining parachute payments as possible.

*Unless he can convince the PL/FL to hand them over early in exchange for, say, a 500 point penalty and demotion 7 divisions.

Meanwhile other clubs in other sports struggle on and pay their taxes ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/17828808

Salford chief executive Dave Tarry has told BBC Radio Manchester that the immediate future of the club is secure after paying an outstanding tax bill.

It emerged in February that the Super League side owed a five-figure fee to HMRC, which has now been paid.

"Times are tough in sport, as they are in many other walks of life," added Tarry. "In today's world, if you're not on your toes with the HMRC, they take action very quickly.

The amount due was believed to be about 50000. - what's that 6 weeks pay for TBH? Shame HMRC haven't been as expeditious with the cheating fish fiddlers.

What is the amount owed to HMRC by the scummy little toe rags?

Appy has kept some dignity, but it doesn't make him the next manager of WBA for sure.

Meanwhile other clubs in other sports struggle on and pay their taxes ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/17828808

Salford chief executive Dave Tarry has told BBC Radio Manchester that the immediate future of the club is secure after paying an outstanding tax bill.

It emerged in February that the Super League side owed a five-figure fee to HMRC, which has now been paid.

"Times are tough in sport, as they are in many other walks of life," added Tarry. "In today's world, if you're not on your toes with the HMRC, they take action very quickly.

The amount due was believed to be about 50000. - what's that 6 weeks pay for TBH? Shame HMRC haven't been as expeditious with the cheating fish fiddlers.

What is the amount owed to HMRC by the scummy little toe rags?

Sorry to be pedantic Eric, but £50k is about 10 days pay for the legend that is Tal Ben Haim :)

Sorry to be pedantic Eric, but £50k is about 10 days pay for the legend that is Tal Ben Haim :)

Oooops yes of course - I was thinking in Rest of The World Terms and forgot his salary of 30000 or whatever is per WEEK not per month (or even a year).

Ha ha he has really gone up in my estimation for being such a drain on their non existant resources!!

Oooops yes of course - I was thinking in Rest of The World Terms and forgot his salary of 30000 or whatever is per WEEK not per month (or even a year).

Ha ha he has really gone up in my estimation for being such a drain on their non existant resources!!

Yep -- the legend that is draining nearly £1.9 million a year out of pompey.

Why do we poor mugs who effectively pay their obscene wages, let footballers get away with quoting a weekly wage rather than an annual salary?

Only happens if they start TWO consecutive seasons in admin

When does the season officially start?? From k.o on the 1st game of the season, or when the transfer window opens?

If the latter then its Points-deduction-o' clock for Skates!

Only happens if they start TWO consecutive seasons in admin

Having done some more digging I think you are correct. The last club I can find that was in this situation was Stockport County; they went into admin at the end of one season, were still in admin for all of the next season, and then at risk of being kicked out of the League if the situation had carried on to the start of the next.

I think you'll find the rules are you are not allowed to start two consecutive seasons in the same administration.

Stockport County were close to being ejected from the league, they went into admin same season as us. then played the entire next season in administration. The next close season after that, they came close to the fixtures being announced & only just agreed a deal in time to get their golden share reinstated. So nothing to do with points penalties, Poopey could go all season in admin, but would not be allowed to start the season after that unless a deal was agreed!

Further points deductions would probably occur without a CVA, Failure & re-negotiation of the original CVA. Trying to come out of administration without a new CVA etc! etc!

we've heard all the funded by sponsors stuff before.

Last time the accounts later showed large hotel and travel costs for the US holiday so Birch will have find some cash from somewhere to make that happen.

I just admire their optimism, planning for beyond next week.

As for making it to July - It's good to have a dream.

I wonder how the 1,000 pledges in 14 days is going - the only things moving slower must be due diligence by new owners, the sale of Ben Haim, and glaciation.

we've heard all the funded by sponsors stuff before.

Last time the accounts later showed large hotel and travel costs for the US holiday so Birch will have find some cash from somewhere to make that happen.

Absolutely, we heard all about Cotterils disastrous pre-seasons in the states, they were absolutely brilliant!

Spending days on planes, stuck in hotels, all the kit going missing, players exhausted by the heat and playing in front of 2k crowds when the USA teams were promised the spectacle would fill the stadium no problem!

And they had to pay for it, all the sponsorship was the typical spin and lies that we are all too used to... I wouldnt be surprised if their little community club of the year stunt was also paid for by the club in lieu of childrens cancer charities.

Whatever happens, pompey dont pay bills, they just add it to the list of creditors which then get bolted onto another list of creditors a couple of years later. Even the f*cking trust owe money on the latest creditors list for thier trust bus open day scam!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17939332

"As Portsmouth powered their way to a 4-1 Premier League victory over Southampton in April, 2005, south coast football observers could feel the pendulum in this great rivalry swing decisively to the blue half of Hampshire.

Seven years on, those who see football through red-tinted spectacles will feel that the natural order has been restored with Southampton in the top flight and Portsmouth somewhere below them in the pyramid.

Yet just three years ago the roles were reversed. Southampton were in administration, relegated to League One and facing a fight for survival. Portsmouth were a Premier League club. Now look where we are today.

A look into the past throws up similarities between two clubs 17 miles apart. Although to many they now seem worlds apart in their hopes and dreams. "

Hmmm....some interesting airbrushing in that article from Mr Husband.....he seems to think that there's many similarities between our historic financial plight and Pompey's....

Edited by trousers

Absolutely, we heard all about Cotterils disastrous pre-seasons in the states, they were absolutely brilliant!

Spending days on planes, stuck in hotels, all the kit going missing, players exhausted by the heat and playing in front of 2k crowds when the USA teams were promised the spectacle would fill the stadium no problem!

And they had to pay for it, all the sponsorship was the typical spin and lies that we are all too used to... I wouldnt be surprised if their little community club of the year stunt was also paid for by the club in lieu of childrens cancer charities.

Whatever happens, pompey dont pay bills, they just add it to the list of creditors which then get bolted onto another list of creditors a couple of years later. Even the f*cking trust owe money on the latest creditors list for thier trust bus open day scam!

I missed this little gem.

Any idea what page I'll find it on?