Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

.... is it just me or has this thread slo...w...ed... right don now we are watching football again? Top flight football that is....

Guilty as charged m'lud :blush:

Main forum has been unbearable all summer, but yesterday something clicked back into place. Suddenly there was something more concrete to discuss rather than endless discussions about... well, nothing really...

Did anyone see the FL Show and there game with Boscombe?

Started off with a group of inbreds with a new song which they wrote down on a banner. Bye Bye American Pie, but Bye Bye Mr Chanerai. Some muppet then tried to sing it, I couldn't work out if he was half cut or an idiot, a mixture of both I presume. Cut to the game and then an interview with UnAppy. According to him they "had no right to take anything from this game" due to no preperation and up against all the odds.

It was Boscombe they were playing FFS............

that was hilarious....utterly embarrassing...I think he was a cross between utterly simple and beer'd up lol

I have yet to hear anything about paying the remaining £900? But I think more people want in now than prior to the departure of Chinny. There is a real feel good factor swilling around, whether that will equate to actual pledges I don't know? But the idea of the fans owning the club and doing all the things such as cutting our cloth accordingly etc etc, seems to be really igniting.

Loads of old faces there Saturday, the Winchester set (No offence to genuine Pompey Winchester fans) will be taking the kids down to St. Mary's again and TBH your welcome to them! I hope the fan takeover happens, I really do. It'll be the best thing to happen to Pompey since our back to back league titles and I never got to enjoy them! I can see all kinds of fan initiatives taking root and the chance to really work on our 'Identity' as opposed to just being farmed for cash, which will make a nice change. We have as many point out become a figurehead for all thats wrong with the Football business (but by no means not the only one!), but our fans will be our redemption, whether you like it or not.

I think you're right about more fans wanting in now Chanrai is out of the way. But, of course, he isn't. And then there are still all the other debts. I would applaud any club genuinely under fan ownership. But I think the only way you can do this is to bite the bullet and start again from scratch. If the trust are prepared to start again in a lower league they could even get Saints fans chipping in.

Looks like they're looking at another loan - that'll be at least loan no. 5 which is the limit

9m acf259c9-fcdb-4488-be11-f4fe8a9acf93_normal.png Neil Allen ‏@pn_neil_allen

@andi4asg Still contracted to Celtic so it would be a loan.

1:41 PM - 20 Aug 12 via Tweetbot for iOS · Details

44m acf259c9-fcdb-4488-be11-f4fe8a9acf93_normal.png Neil Allen ‏@pn_neil_allen

Not sure where these Josh Thompson rumours have come from. He has not signed at all, although still training with #Pompey.

I think you're right about more fans wanting in now Chanrai is out of the way. But, of course, he isn't. And then there are still all the other debts. I would applaud any club genuinely under fan ownership. But I think the only way you can do this is to bite the bullet and start again from scratch. If the trust are prepared to start again in a lower league they could even get Saints fans chipping in.

Which would be the ultimate, top humiliation for them. Imagine a few faaackin scumma caaantss owning a share of their club:lol:

Which would be the ultimate, top humiliation for them. Imagine a few faaackin scumma caaantss owning a share of their club:lol:

Haha!

Skate: "Oi get out of our club!"

Saints: "No..... actually, call it £2k and you can have my share..."

Skate: "But it only cost you a grand...."

Some sock pulling up to be done here please, I just came on here at 4am and this thread was only the EIGHTH most recently updated. Anyone would think we were back in the Premier League and wanted to talk about Saints or something!

Some sock pulling up to be done here please, I just came on here at 4am and this thread was only the EIGHTH most recently updated. Anyone would think we were back in the Premier League and wanted to talk about Saints or something!

We want quality over quantity don't we? Nah, screw it. We'll just get both on a loan and skip the payments.

Well the latest embarrassment of appleton actually appealling for someone to 'invest' short term to pay for yet more players till january is worthy of comment. Cringeworthy ..and how dare they call it investment when they mean 'please pay someone you've never heard of vastly inflated wages for us, for no return'.

As others have said we are currently without the threads MVP (Most Volume Poster).

anyway back to plucky pompey with no real mention of how they got there they are:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2191221/Portsmouths-summer-uncertainty-tough-Michael-Appleton.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

There have been times when we haven’t been able to afford food and we have had a whip-round in the dressing room to pay the chef.

‘We couldn’t send injured players for scans because we couldn’t afford to pay for them, the executive travel has been scaled back to standard coaches.

Poor things. Having to travel in standard coaches. Oh the mental suffering.

Edited by pedg

Appy's thoughts:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/20/michael-appleton-portsmouth

Loads of omissions, but fair enough, it's an article about Appy's perspective.

I've just read that and was about to post it but obviously I was too slow :)

My immediate reaction was to bang off an email to the Guardian but then I took the moral high ground. It is very one sided, though.

what will happen tonight?

I suspect the bestest fans in world football will fill the Colchester arena to capacity and make more noise there than West Ham or Millwall ever have - it'll be like Boca Juniors v River Plate, but with more caravans.

And despite their record-breaking vocal passion for the game, the plucky blue army will be polite, respectful, and a pleasure to host - everyone will say so.

While on the pitch, a bunch of random unpaid strangers who have supplied their own bicycles to get there will pull together around a single blue flag.

Their kit may be unwashed and in need of repair, they may be the cheapest squad ever-assembled in any sport, but when they hear the crackly motivational tape of Avram's finest hour they will physically grow in stature.

Appy's unruly bargain basement troops will suddenly become Appy's glorious pride of battling lions, roared on by the biggest travelling support Colchester has ever seen!

They will bravely chase down every ball, cover every blade of grass and fight for the shirt, committed to give everything for the most famous badge in the sport.

Oh yes, they may be on the ropes, but they will come out fighting for the honour of playing for one of the weariest sleeping giants in football.

pompey will never die, not with these blue troops standing firm against all odds!

Unless their legs get tired after an hour because they didn't eat enough roadkill on the M25 section.

The result will be a fantastic victory, a battling draw to save the day, or an irrelevant defeat, because the fact that they fought bravely against the odds will be enough to warm the hearts of the loyal thousands.

Much the same as it was for last Tuesday's heroes at The Austerity Game - the now discarded young braves.

It's so difficult to remember who is good and who is bad, who is flavour of the week, I need the media to tell me.

And all of this irrelevance will be there just to distract Portsea - to gloss over the fact that the only thing that matters is that the Trust is still potless.

So birch is tucking into the first of this years parachute payments, Chanrai hasn't accepted an offer for fatpipes that has been on the table for months, the trust want the players to accpet a huge reduction in the compromise agreements that they have already compromised, they need 3 (minimum) additional pledges everyday that birch stays on and then there is the small matter of transfering pledges into cash - right at the end of the summer holidays and just before Christmas and just for good measure, still no news on Gaydamak' land.

I wonder if birch is looking for another owner :rolleyes:

So birch is tucking into the first of this years parachute payments, Chanrai hasn't accepted an offer for fatpipes that has been on the table for months, the trust want the players to accpet a huge reduction in the compromise agreements that they have already compromised, they need 3 (minimum) additional pledges everyday that birch stays on and then there is the small matter of transfering pledges into cash - right at the end of the summer holidays and just before Christmas and just for good measure, still no news on Gaydamak' land.

I wonder if birch is looking for another owner :rolleyes:

Yep, that Daily Mail article says that Pompey now have enough money to last until January and the wage bill is £30,000 a week.

So the latest PPs are being eroded making the club less attractive than ever.

Haha!

Skate: "Oi get out of our club!"

Saints: "No..... actually, call it £2k and you can have my share..."

Skate: "But it only cost you a grand...."

Skate: "....so I'll give you 40p."

This is an outrage! 25 best football fanbases.....and no mention of the bestest!!!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1297109-power-ranking-the-25-most-dedicated-fan-bases-in-world-football#page/1

I'm wrriten a letter in disgust.

And so it begins....

The similarity and timeliness of the articles in the Mail and Guardian are no coincidence. The national media were all given the opportunity yesterday to interview Appleton (a friend of mine was among those summoned to take part in the blub fest).

Thus, in the washing machine of truth cleansing (or money laundering, take your pick) the spin cycle has been switched on.

Amid the serving of tea and buns, Appy was wheeled out in his hole-filled gardening cardie, his raggedy trousers out at the knee, to not even pat back the softest of questions, but to deliver a pathos-filled homily with the intention of providing the assembled hacks with the opportunity to produce the most heart-rending literature since Uncle Tom's Cabin.

The Legend of Plucky P****y is about to have new life breathed into it.

Standy by with the sick bags.

Yep, that Daily Mail article says that Pompey now have enough money to last until January and the wage bill is £30,000 a week.

So the latest PPs are being eroded making the club less attractive than ever.

So what's going on?

A) TB/PST are in dialogue with Portpin regarding an acceptable purchase price for Fatpipe Park and are trying to get them to drop their asking price by £5m, or

B) TB/PST are in dialogue with Portpin regarding renting Fatpipe Park, even though there's no provision on the PST projection for this, or

C) TB/PST are being ignored by Portpin.

At the same time:

1) PST/PCC are trying to get the PL to agree to direct PPs direct to the PCC, even though Birchy has promised them to the former players, and

2) PST are trying to get the players to agree to a 75% reduction in what they agreed with Birchy just weeks ago, and

3) The PST are trying to get more pledges AND working how on earth they can get existing pledges converting into real cash, and

4) Birchy is racking up more fees, and

5) They're spunking what little cash they have on legends-in-the-making McLeod, Howard, Dumbaya et al and

6) Chanrai and Birchy are doing the maths to work out the best time to press the big red button marked "Liquidate", and

7) The Fatpipe Park clock still isn't working.

So really, all is going swimmingly down there.

when Birch says there is enough money to run the club until January, what he actually said was, there ISN'T enough money.

BUT....I can use the money that is needed to pay creditors a year from now and when I've left, you'll have a serious problem.

And by the way, I'll rack up another million in admin fees by then, so you'd better produce another 1,000 pledges just for me.

Nasty pantomime villain Ben Haim might be out of sight and out of mind, but there is still a big earner with his snout in the trough, gobbling up vast chunks of the gate receipts.

Slowly does it Trev, you should never rush a deal when the meter is ticking, in your own time son...

The Trust need him out asap - he just spent their inheritance on a home point against Bournemouth - they really are living the dream!

Have I missed a post. Did no one else hear Appy on solent 7.20 this morning begging for a short term loan of cash to buy the remainder of the squad? He was after a loan till January... a local person to put cash on the table, how does that work? Can he pay that back and not other debts? It wouldn't be a loan to Appy, but PFC2010.

Michael Appleton has been told Pompey cannot fund any more signings after Jordan Obita’s arrival.

Now the Blues boss is appealing for local businesses to help him recruit a long-time target he is adamant can ‘rip up’ League One.

Trevor Birch has instructed Appleton that the club, which remains in administration, is unable to add to the 15 players who have landed in the past week.

That leaves the squad below the 20-player mark the Football League considers as ‘competitive’.

It currently stands at 17, with those on duty against Bournemouth to be boosted by Liam Walker and loanee Obita for tonight’s trip to Colchester.

Appleton has lined-up three other free agents – a defender, midfielder and a striker – whose names he will not reveal.

It is understood around £60,000 would fund their wages until January. And the Blues boss is hoping a local businessman will be interested in footing the bill in a gesture similar to Dave Ellis.

The owner of Fareham-based Ellis Electrical donated a five-figure sum to enable the club to embark on a pre-season tour to Spain and Gibraltar.

And Appleton is desperate for someone else to come forward.

He said: ‘In an ideal world I would love a striker to walk into the building.

‘We had one all lined-up and ready to come last week but couldn’t do it because of the financial situation.

‘It would have been fantastic for us. He would have ripped this division up.

‘In an ideal world I would have an absolute minimum of three strikers.

‘We could seriously bring two or three players in – up until January – not on a massive amount of money.

‘There are people out there who could help the football club in the short-term which will certainly help it in the long term in a big, big way.

‘We are not talking masses amounts of money.

‘If there is anyone out there prepared to bring some money to the table then please contact me.

‘Just look at the players I have brought into the football club already and the ones I got in last year.

‘That should be enough to know it will be quality that comes through the building.

‘I think it would be unfair to name the striker – but he can be signed within 24 hours if we had the cash.’

Izale McLeod and Luke Rodgers are the sole strikers currently at Fratton Park, leaving Appleton’s attacking options light.

We can't afford anyone else - So can we borrow more money for 3 new players pleaseeeee?

Now the Blues boss is appealing for local businesses to help him recruit a long-time target he is adamant can ‘rip up’ League One

Makes a change from ripping up contracts.

I don't know what's more unbelievable; this attitude, or the public flaunting of it.

Makes a change from ripping up contracts.

I don't know what's more unbelievable; this attitude, or the public flaunting of it.

And ripping off. I wonder how many local businesses, facing real problems if they haven't already gone to the wall thanks to the cesspit ripping them off in the past, will be inclined to 'lend' cash to the carcass?

Fantastic. Appy wants the local business community who have been shafted royally by PFC to pay £60K towards one player for 3 months until January - so just £3.5K a week then for another player who's not in it for the money.

Just on a point of fact - 3 players top gun for 3.5k per week between them if you read it correctly.

Oh please just one more drink, I'll become teetotal tomorrow !!!

so 60k needed + the HMRC bit + would they ned to pay corp tax on this cash injection... or do they not account for HMRC? Surely this fine upstanding club pay the tax man at least? Oh... I was forgetting, as Appy seems to about the brave kids who could easily bolster hhis 17 up to 20 ;-)

Just on a point of fact - 3 players top gun for 3.5k per week between them if you read it correctly.

And Appleton supposedly says he can get this for £60 k COST it to include tax etc, which means he'd only have about 50-60% of that to pay in net wages, as footballers describe ther salaries,. So by football standards he is claiming thathe can rip up L1 with 3 extra players taking home c£600 a week each, ie about £ 30 k a year.

Yeah, right !

He really has lost it now hasn't he? And they had the nerve on Solent to describe this gift he is soliciting for, as an investment

Fantastic. Appy wants the local business community who have been shafted royally by PFC to pay £60K towards one player for 3 months until January - so just £3.5K a week then for another player who's not in it for the money.

It seems to me that unAppy has no pride, this begging in public is so cringe worthy. Next we'll be hearing of an upsurge in the number of big issue and lucky heather selllers in the PO district of Hampshire.

If he can hold out to the autumn he can expect a windfall of finance what with it being the season of trick or treating and penny for the guy, and lest we forget December, with all the carol singing could sustain his moves in the January transfer window.

The FL really must say that's your lot

Any injuries and you play youth players, just like most of the other L1 and L2 teams.

They also ought to be fined or deducted points for leaving gaps on the bench when they could be giving their youth players valuable experience.

Why would any Dad put his kid in the PFC academy? You're guaranteed not to be valued in the slightest.

The FL really must say that's your lot

Any injuries and you play youth players, just like most of the other L1 and L2 teams.

They also ought to be fined or deducted points for leaving gaps on the bench when they could be giving their youth players valuable experience.

Why would any Dad put his kid in the PFC academy? You're guaranteed not to be valued in the slightest.

When they released these five players as recently as May, you have to ask what was wrong with keeping them and having them play for the club. Three nineteen year olds and a couple of eighteen year olds.

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/Squadnews/academy-news--fixtures/Five-Released-By-Blues-3411.aspx

I hesitate to call them kids when we played a 17 year old on Sunday and have started 16 year olds in our first team.

But no doubt these players wouldn't be considered good enough to play for the Skates.

Is it just me - To be honest I just cant believe that they have the nerve to claim they need to be competitive , the players who played at Plymouth are they not part part the squad ? Once again it all seems that no matter what happens , who gets shafted , asking for local business to stump up money for players wages - they just carry on regardless & as for Appy he is sounding like a right ***** - woe is Pompy - beginning to be just disillusioned with football and the ever saga of the cheaters down the road

Is it just me - To be honest I just cant believe that they have the nerve to claim they need to be competitive , the players who played at Plymouth are they not part part the squad ? Once again it all seems that no matter what happens , who gets shafted , asking for local business to stump up money for players wages - they just carry on regardless & as for Appy he is sounding like a right ***** - woe is Pompy - beginning to be just disillusioned with football and the ever saga of the cheaters down the road

This has for some time been the most perplexing - how they have the bare-arsed cheek to demand they be competitive (which translates as MORE competitive than the clubs destined for relegation so we can survive or even get promoted - we are special surely you can see that?) and then the even greater cheek to expect local businesses who tehy have already shafter twice to stump up more cahs to pay these players wages - which is interesting as in some ways its no different form what led to 2 admins in the first place - getting local businesses and charities and the tax man to pay player wages they could not otherwise afford to be more competitive... yet still their fans and that **** Allen fail to grasp this svery simple concept - truely breathtaking in their ignorance

If a fan went onto the pitch and assaulted the linesman, what do you think a clubs punishment would be? The next game to be played behind closed doors perhaps, or some other punitive measure.

A Pompey fan did so so years back and the club got away fairly scot free, it has been going on for years.

This has for some time been the most perplexing - how they have the bare-arsed cheek to demand they be competitive (which translates as MORE competitive than the clubs destined for relegation so we can survive or even get promoted - we are special surely you can see that?) and then the even greater cheek to expect local businesses who tehy have already shafter twice to stump up more cahs to pay these players wages - which is interesting as in some ways its no different form what led to 2 admins in the first place - getting local businesses and charities and the tax man to pay player wages they could not otherwise afford to be more competitive... yet still their fans and that **** Allen fail to grasp this svery simple concept - truely breathtaking in their ignorance

Honestly FC - just what does it take for them to take some responsibility of the past , of the un-paid debt , the non payments of millions and millions , to swerve around the system , they have a transfer embargo or not !! - I just don't see any other club always looking to deflect any punishment for breaking the rules , looking at a way around the system, not taking any account at all for the debt - I just throw my hands n the air and think how on earth do they sleep at night the brazen way they just carry on regardless and laud over the plucky tag - we got away with it again

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})