Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Well that's them definitely relegated with the minus ten.

Worthy of a small :lol:

5 games left to play, and 6 points off safety. Oldham also 5 points above them but with 2 games in hand, so that gap could yet increase. Pompey's remaining fixtures:

Tranmere (6th) H

Stevenage (15th) H

Brentford (3rd) A

Sheff Utd (5th) H

Shrewsbury (18th) A

Not the easiest of run-ins by any stretch.

The delicious thing is that the thick DSB still cling on to the hope that they may be able to stay up, "job done", "Shame they didn't manage to hold out for the win, what with scunny being the only team to win in the bottom half of the table!" amongst some of the comments on the fish board. As someone said the otherr day, it's the hope that kills them.

I still think they have a 3 day 'window of opportunity' whereby they could finish above the relegation zone (on 27th April) and then exit administration before the FL deadline of 30th April. In that scenario the -10 would be carried over to next season (whilst still in league 1) would it not?

I still think they have a 3 day 'window of opportunity' whereby they could finish above the relegation zone (on 27th April) and then exit administration before the FL deadline of 30th April. In that scenario the -10 would be carried over to next season (whilst still in league 1) would it not?

I'm fairly sure the FL will be moving to close any "no effective punishment" loopholes with some statements in the aftermath of the court case. I seriously doubt they'll allow an overlap period where matches aren't being played but the season hasn't ended, or any grey area in what constitutes the end of the season that can be exploited Skate-style. It would raise the possibility of them needing to apply the -10 for the previous season retrospectively, which they wouldn't want to do for reasons of "fair competition".

not sure there is a window of opportunity Mr T me old mucker - surely their 'season' finishes at the final whistle of their last game?

So the deadline for their season end is then, whereas the deadline for the following season has in the past been the AGM.

As has been pointed out, the FL seem to be demanding an exit from admin this season rather than an exit before next - I see no gap between those two dates.

Tickety tock etc.

For the avoidance of doubt;

from the Football League rules

"'Season' means the period of the year commencing on the date of the first League Match and, for each Club, ending immediately after the completion of the Club's final fixture of the League Competition or, if the Club is participating in the Play-Offs, the final Play-Off match for that Club."

So that means @ 16:50 on 27th April.

Edited by badgerx16

For the avoidance of doubt;

from the Football League rules

"'Season' means the period of the year commencing on the date of the first League Match and, for each Club, ending immediately after the completion of the Club's final fixture of the League Competition or, if the Club is participating in the Play-Offs, the final Play-Off match for that Club."

So that means @ 16:50 on 27th April.

So exactly four weeks from today?

Someone start the death clock!

So exactly four weeks from today?

Someone start the death clock!

... Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok Tik Tok ||D.S. al fine

The reason I keep banging on about a "30th April" deadline (rather than the actual 'end of season' deadline of 27th April) is because one of my colleagues was told by the secretary of a league 2 club that they had received a letter from the FL (sent to all FL clubs) whereby they explicitly stated the 30th April as the date that Pompey had to get out of admin by to avoid losing the golden share.

Maybe he misheard what the secretary told him or the secretary misread what he was sent (or, indeed, I'm misinterpreting what it might mean)

At the end of the day it'll hopefully be immaterial if/when they get relegated under their own steam :)

As much as i dislike Pompey and their cheating club, the majority of those fans are decent football lovers. By a accident of nature they were born in Portsmouth and support their local team. They made the long costly journey and by the reports sung all game, hats off to those few.

The bloke on Sky initially said there were 4-500 but at the end of the game it had increased to 600, amazing procreation during the game but i assume as they have little development in lifes structure it takes about an hour and another is created from procreation to birth.

In the morning the Port Vale manager was on and said that in league 1 the average away following was 800-1000 and in L2 under 100, about 40-80. it seems to me they will fit right in.

I'm sure there were indeed many decent football followers at Preston, and their appearance will have fuelled the media's requirement for a thinly-veiled script or cartoon plot behind every game.

The plucky few who never gave up supporting the lowest-paid squad, battling for a point against the odds etc.

Something to warm the heart, a chance to gloss over the facts in the name of cheap soundbites.

So their poor support is only highlighted on here because of the media love-in.

The mutterings of former players about passion are just easy listening for the dim to lap up.

You rarely hear any club's fanbase criticised on commentary.

Imagine away support being labelled as quiet, or a big match atmosphere being described as poor compared with previous games.

The media needs Super Sundays and every BIG match to be bigger than the last.

So pompey could take a man and a dog to a game next door and someone out there would try and kid you that it's a great effort, despite the uncertainty surrounding the club.

Tis hollow PR.

The facts clearly show that their fanbase has fallen away significantly, don't buy the spin, and don't blame their plight.

Because today there will be many thousands who travel to away games and give great support at all levels across four divisions in England.

But I don't expect ANY of them to claim to be the best and most passionate in the world, or to state that their home ground when half full has the best atmosphere in world football.

That would be the rantings of a madman.

So it's all a bit 19th century and cruel, but we are only mocking the deluded here.

I know some 'very sensible' pompey fans, but they still try and tell me that we are jealous of their glorious history or their fan-ownership. :lol:

If the few stopped making ridiculous claims we wouldn't bother to highlight the fact that their fanbase is lacking in both quality, and quantity.

Their team is poor, their support matches it, no big deal.

But the claims to be the best just demand to be exposed and mocked.

I'm sure there were indeed many decent football followers at Preston, and their appearance will have fuelled the media's requirement for a thinly-veiled script or cartoon plot behind every game.

The plucky few who never gave up supporting the lowest-paid squad, battling for a point against the odds etc.

Something to warm the heart, a chance to gloss over the facts in the name of cheap soundbites.

So their poor support is only highlighted on here because of the media love-in.

The mutterings of former players about passion are just easy listening for the dim to lap up.

You rarely hear any club's fanbase criticised on commentary.

Imagine away support being labelled as quiet, or a big match atmosphere being described as poor compared with previous games.

The media needs Super Sundays and every BIG match to be bigger than the last.

So pompey could take a man and a dog to a game next door and someone out there would try and kid you that it's a great effort, despite the uncertainty surrounding the club.

Tis hollow PR.

The facts clearly show that their fanbase has fallen away significantly, don't buy the spin, and don't blame their plight.

Because today there will be many thousands who travel to away games and give great support at all levels across four divisions in England.

But I don't expect ANY of them to claim to be the best and most passionate in the world, or to state that their home ground when half full has the best atmosphere in world football.

That would be the rantings of a madman.

So it's all a bit 19th century and cruel, but we are only mocking the deluded here.

I know some 'very sensible' pompey fans, but they still try and tell me that we are jealous of their glorious history or their fan-ownership. :lol:

If the few stopped making ridiculous claims we wouldn't bother to highlight the fact that their fanbase is lacking in both quality, and quantity.

Their team is poor, their support matches it, no big deal.

But the claims to be the best just demand to be exposed and mocked.

yep, I agree and still think they have got away with it, until they no longer can play at FP. That would be the medicine that would satisfy my need for justice

yep, I agree and still think they have got away with it, until they no longer can play at FP. That would be the medicine that would satisfy my need for justice

To be fair, being forced to play at fortress rundown is a punishment in itself isn't it?

If they want to rack up debt upon debt to ensure they continue to play at that rat infested flea pit, then more fool them!

To be fair, being forced to play at fortress rundown is a punishment in itself isn't it?

If they want to rack up debt upon debt to ensure they continue to play at that rat infested flea pit, then more fool them!

Agreed, they are fading away in their rust pit and todays result moves us slowly to safety.

I believe that this is a historic day...

At our lowest point we were 53 places below pompey.

Today we beat the Champions of Europe to place us 54 places above pompey.

The worst thing for them is that they don't really qualify as our rivals any longer, that's probably now Brighton or Reading.

It was extra nice that Rickie, the bloke who was on the wrong end of abuse from the few when we were in League One, should captain the side and score the winner that completed the historic 107 place swing in fortunes.

I 4-1 have enjoyed the journey.

I believe that this is a historic day...

At our lowest point we were 53 places below pompey.

Today we beat the Champions of Europe to place us 54 places above pompey.

The worst thing for them is that they don't really qualify as our rivals any longer, that's probably now Brighton or Reading.

It was extra nice that Rickie, the bloke who was on the wrong end of abuse from the few when we were in League One, should captain the side and score the winner that completed the historic 107 place swing in fortunes.

I 4-1 have enjoyed the journey.

Nicely put Rallyboy.

I doubt we will be competing with any club from Portsea Island on a level playing field for a few decades, so let's enjoy the last phew weeks of their demise.

Just a reminder that the "4 week death clock" would only be on their expulsion from the league, they might still get into the Conference if the takeover was completed (and if the Conference didn't have really strict financial rules)... there's a 10 day clock on their court case too.

do you like throwing hard-earned cash down black holes?

If you've given to the property developers than we've got another lost cause for you.

Please give generously to help support the rights of individuals and websites to have freedom to libel people, to dress up PR as investigative journalism, or to peddle hearsay that suits their agenda.

Form an orderly queue, cash only, no cheques or cards.

Just a reminder that the "4 week death clock" would only be on their expulsion from the league, they might still get into the Conference if the takeover was completed (and if the Conference didn't have really strict financial rules)... there's a 10 day clock on their court case too.

To hear the Radio Solent non-League show featuring PFC would be too funny for words...

Well, considering that my other club was turfed out of their due to ground ownership issues and that points deductions due to financial irregularities are relatively common..... Frying Pan/Fire anyone?

It is a shame they have strung a few results together, they won't be relegated come the court case so might get a meaningless -10 this season.

Hopefully the league will put a caviat in place for when they manage to get relegated under their own steam.

Agent Connolly seems to be cutting it a bit fine, his mission of " it's the hope that kills 'em " is admirable but I trust that he knows exactly when to pull the plug ?

Oldham hold the key with 3 games in hand but it would be nice if our Dave would conveniently develop one of his handy little groin strains within the next few days !!

Be lovely if they stay up by the skin of their teeth only for the minus 10 to be applied and relegate them.

They've played 42, so 4 games left. They have 38 points, so can get a maximum of 50 if they win the remaining four games.

Minus 10 points would give them 40 points, with Oldham - currently 5th from bottom and safe - currently on 41 points.

Whichever way you look at it, they'll be in league 2 next season, the only question is will they start on 0 or -10 :D

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})