Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

14:08

Comment From Younger01

Are you aimiig for pure profit next year based on the gates of home games?

14:09

Micah Hall: The club is scheduled to make a loss in its first two years.

Extra money chiefly goes to creditors to pay off debts early, hence the earlier than expected removal of charges.

Another classic post on one of their forums berating Newport County.

Newport County celebrated a win at wembley meaning promotion to the football league after a 25 year absence. It raises a couple of questions for me.

They went out of the league 25 years ago and were subsequently liquidated, and formed a new club, were foreced to play outside of Wales and have built back up to where they are now. this being the case, can they really claim a centenary year this year? the original club may have been founded then, but this is a completely new beast surely.

The other thing is the admission of Welsh teams to the English Leagues. Now I am not against this per say, however the precursor to the wembley playoff final between Wrexham and Newport had two national anthems. the welsh, aparantly sung with great gusto, and the british national anthem which was roundly booed. If they want to boo our anthem should we tell them to buggar off back and play in the welsh leagues?

Now what is that about people in glass houses and chucking stones? Remind me how many different guises have there been of Cheats FC in the last few years due to all the administrations yet they still want to retain their albeit checkered history!

I now live in Cwmbran, which is just up the road from there, so should I/could I be an New member.

That or Welsh League sides Cwmbran Celtic (who I once scored a hat-trick against!) or Cwmbran Town at the Stadium... failing that, West Pontnewydd in the Gwent County ? :D

For the record re: the post above, the Welsh national anthem was sung (probably more loudly at the more welsh-speaking end) and The National Anthem was booed (just as it was at the last 2 FA Trophy Finals, featuring each of the finalists). I was a bit disappointed, because frankly I think it's one of the less appealing welsh characteristics, but the wife (definitely English) was completely furious.

Newport's "welshness" has increased a lot since they left the League, what with the passing of time, the shift in political structure and the lack of border ambiguity there was in the past. However, the football club's right to play in the English League pyramid was confirmed in the High Court, and as I'm always at pains to point out, they joined the Football League in the same year as Saints and the Skates and have every bit as much league history. Plus, if they want to boo their own British anthem that's up to them isn't it..?

The Skate sort of has a point regarding the 100 Years thing as the two clubs are completely separate businesses, but there was only a vacuum of football club between liquidation in Feb 1989 and the new club being formed in June 1989 and all of the people in the setup of the new club were involved in the old one, and there wasn't a gap in division membership (other than the Conference record having been expunged after 30-odd matches).

To be honest, what does he care anyway ? He supports a club that's somehow dodged liquidation despite debts over 400 times larger than the one that killed Newport, and also been able to retain its league position throughout without having to resort to playing in non-League for 25 years.

PS I quite like Newport being regarded as one of the league's crappy little clubs, I still think they're (we're? I'm going to have to think about this) bigger than Dag & Red though, and can't wait for the fixtures, one of the quirks of the last 2 years in the Conference has been the complete lack of sides within an hour's drive of Southampton. :)

Micah seems reasonably well adjusted for a Skate. At the moment. Geographically Kingsbridge is near Plymouth. In the same way that Plymouth and Newport are close to Portsmouth in football terms. But I live in Brisbane now so get my live fixes from the Brisbane Roar and Saints every game live on TV over here. Was at the Liverpool game though :)

Was told last night that Tranmere are right in the mire and that they don't even know if they will exist by the KO of the new season.

Was also informed that everything at Fratton has to be ratified by the FL and that failure to meet any of their historic debts, when due, will result in the withdrawal of the Golden Share and that they only have to spend, what they raise themselves as every penny they are due are already allocated elsewhere.

This was from a L1 club board member.

Neil Allen ‏@pn_neil_allen 1m

#Pompey have completed the signing of Sonny Bradley and Danny East. Both from Hull. More could follow in next 24 hours.

Sonny Bradley spent this season on loan at Aldershot... who finished bottom of League 2

Meanwhile Danny East joined Gillingham on loan in March... but only played twice.

Was told last night that Tranmere are right in the mire and that they don't even know if they will exist by the KO of the new season.

Was also informed that everything at Fratton has to be ratified by the FL and that failure to meet any of their historic debts, when due, will result in the withdrawal of the Golden Share and that they only have to spend, what they raise themselves as every penny they are due are already allocated elsewhere.

This was from a L1 club board member.

Interesting info' that actually. Still need to cough up when the PP's come through...

Pompey CEO Mark Catlin has confirmed that as part of the Football League's conditions of membership the club aren't allowed to spend on transfer fees until the PFA debt and other football debt is paid back. Which might not be until July 2017.

The Football League have also ruled 50 per cent of any future player sales must be used to reduce debts.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/catlin-forget-pompey-paying-out-transfer-fees-1-5072403

Strangely all this makes me want to manage Pompey on FM14, as I like these kinds of challenges.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Pompey CEO Mark Catlin has confirmed that as part of the Football League's conditions of membership the club aren't allowed to spend on transfer fees until the PFA debt and other football debt is paid back. Which might not be until July 2017.

The Football League have also ruled 50 per cent of any future player sales must be used to reduce debts.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/catlin-forget-pompey-paying-out-transfer-fees-1-5072403

Strangely all this makes me want to manage Pompey on FM14, as I like these kinds of challenges.

Wow. That really is a tough sanction.

So, free transfers only? I reckon they're already in a relegation battle.

Who knows, maybe in FM17 you'll be able to use them for Dafuge's Challenge. (Which would be funny, as I believe it's a Pompey supporter that started that one)

Who knows, maybe in FM17 you'll be able to use them for Dafuge's Challenge. (Which would be funny, as I believe it's a Pompey supporter that started that one)

Sounds tough on first read but then you realise that they can then spend extra on wages and get a better class of free transfer in!!

Am I right in thinking that Bomo couldn't even bring in Free Transfers or Loans when they had an embargo on transfers?

Or did I just imagine it?

None of the restrictions are stopping Mr Allen getting all excited though...

@pn_neil_allen: Hearing there could be a couple more #Pompey signings before the end of the day. Stayed tuned!

What is it they say about 'little things' pleasing...?

Bless.

They are also restricted to spending only 55% of turnover on their wage bill in League Two.

That's why they are really pushing the fans to buy season tickets while the feel good factor is still there. Generating money is the focus atm. Otherwise, the better calibre free agent will not be available.

So your grand is for players wages then ??

In accordance with Football League stipulations when granting Pompey membership last month, the club are not permitted to buy players.

That is until debts to creditors, primarily the PFA, are settled first.

How come none of this restriction stuff came out at their fanfare takeover press conference the other week...?

Romain actually played for Monaco B In the French 4th division and scored 4 goals in 20 appearances before you all get too excited.

Yeah, careful with all that excitement fellow Nutjobs...

How come none of this restriction stuff came out at their fanfare takeover press conference the other week...?

Conveniently 'glossed over' by Champagne Iain during his recent webchat - heads probably rolled for letting the question get through in the first place..

----------------------------------------------------------------

12 April 2013

12:53 Comment From Reece

Iain, is there any transfer budget?

12:53 Comment From Stor

I've been buzzing since Wednesday! When will you announce the new kit manufacturer?

12:53 Iain McInnes:

Stor, next couple of weeks I hope

12:53 Comment From Liam Buckler

Hi Iain, how much credit is Trevor Birch due? Free ticket for life?!

12:54 Iain McInnes:

Liam, massive credit to Trevor. Shake his hand if you see him

----------------------------------------------------------------

@pn_steve_wilson: I'm ready and waiting for the misinformed to start bemoaning the fact that #Pompey are making free transfer signings on very low wages...

@jejquade: @pn_steve_wilson If they do they are stupid and deluded. Do they want us back to square one? Build our own squad.

@pn_steve_wilson: @jejquade It was more aimed at fans of rival clubs suggesting #Pompey are somehow "cheating". I think "most" #Pompey fans are delighted...

@jejquade: @pn_steve_wilson Oh now accounting for Southampton "Scummers". In the Premiership and still have a chip on their shoulder.

:facepalm:

Can someone twitter Neil Allen and ask him him the the skates will still be using donkeys in their meat pies.

You had a feckin burger lately? don't taste the same now that Trigger, Neddy, and Dobbin, are no longer in the texture,

Now, here is a thought.

The season has ended.The next pre season only starts in early July.

For a business who have to watch their cash carefully, WHY THE HELL are they signing up players NOW when they have to pay them for 6 weeks holiday while they will be getting minimal income until ST sales start?

Oh sure there are "Footballing" reasons but it makes no Financial sense.

Another 500 pages at least then

#nolessonslearntfactless

Now, here is a thought.

For a business who have to watch their cash carefully, WHY THE HELL are they signing up players NOW when they have to pay them for 6 weeks holiday while they will be getting minimal income until ST sales start?

#nolessonslearntfactless

its perfectly sensible Phil, when there are quality players to be had you have to get them while they are going.........oh

You never know they may be useful players or double up as groundsmen and painters during the summer

Now, here is a thought.

#nolessonslearntfactless

I'm led to believe that Alpine_Saint has been employed as a consultant :)

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})