Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Apologies if already posted...

Premier League open transfer window for PFC.......

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/newshome/Premier-League-agrees-to-Pompey.6174633.jp

Bloody annoying, but lets face it, how many players do they have that are actually saleable assets? And what clubs are going to come in, spend money, and then loan the players back. If Pompey had a Rooney or Ronaldo or still Defoe, yes I can see this adding value, but they don't do they. Secondly, who can these players be sold to? Other premier league clubs only? I'd wait until the summer if I were them and get my real transfer targets.

Edited by GenevaSaint

Well, it remains to be seen just what strings are attached to this and, of course, how many clubs are actually interested in any of Pompey's players - and at what price. It won't be the first time that Andronikou has announced something with a drum roll and fanfare of trumpets, only for the reality to be more suited to a lone kazoo. We'll see.

Meanwhile, their secret millionaires appear to be getting more secret by the day. Wonder why...

Isn't there a rule where a tam can only play a certain amount of loan players, so if the skates sell and loan back would they not break that rule.

No doubt they would demand special dispensation from the PL about it, and then complain that they are being treated unfairly when the PL refuse.

Isn't there a rule where a tam can only play a certain amount of loan players, so if the skates sell and loan back would they not break that rule.

I think you just hit the nail on the head. At Liverpool they were already fielding the maximum of 5 loan players.

this sounds like the last resort of a desperate business.

Knockdown prices for players new owners can't use for five months?

Buy a car now, loan in to a lunatic for 20,000 miles, then it's all yours!...

I don't see many players there I would gamble more than £250K on.

This is short termism in it's crudest and most damaging form - as a business plan it's right up there with chucking future revenue down a black hole.

AA is certainly working to an unusual agenda.

And on that one I loved the blue few forum comment about how AA was doing nothing at all for the fans, he was just helping creditors.....funny that.

who is going to buy someone money up front no doubt loan them back and take the risk off thembeing injured NO ONE

i agree i expect that they need cash to flow into the clubs coffers ,to keep them going as a club and if they sell any players it will be at knockdown prices or free transfers to get some of the high wage earners of the books.

What would have happened to us, if this had been possible?

Crisis club Portsmouth have been told their Premier League hand-out money MUST go to the club's anxious creditors.

Pompey administrator Andrew Andronikou is sorting out figures with senior league officials and has up to £37million in advance payments available to him.

However, the Premier League will only give Pompey their TV money and parachute payments now if that cash goes to the people on their creditors' list and is not used for other purposes.

That demand is one of the key elements of the offer and leaves Pompey's administrator to decide how much he needs to dip into in order to do a deal with the tax man among others.

Rumours of a 30p-in-the-pound deal have been circulating - traced back to Fratton Park sources - and that would mean around £24-£25m advanced from the Premier League.

But insiders reveal that Pompey have yet to ask for anything like that much and would ideally like to leave as much of the parachute payments for a later date as possible

who is going to buy someone money up front no doubt loan them back and take the risk off thembeing injured NO ONE

Exactly, and being able to sell something isn't quite the same thing as selling it.

For every sale there has to be a buyer and who in their right mind, especially lower placed PL teams, is going to help out Partsmurf in buying any of their players. I guess that there will only be one white knight riding into Krap Nottarf to snap up a couple of 'bargains' and his initials are HR.

BTW - why weren't we allowed to do this last spring?

What makes anyone think it will be easy to sell any of the overpaid players if a special window is open?

Why would any club give up money now to see the player loaned back to PFC for the rest of the season?

What makes anyone think that a player would move for less money that he is already on or that any club would pay the inflated wages and bonuses they are on?

Has anyone noticed it is a depressed transfer market out there?

What would have happened to us, if this had been possible?

Crisis club Portsmouth have been told their Premier League hand-out money MUST go to the club's anxious creditors.

Pompey administrator Andrew Andronikou is sorting out figures with senior league officials and has up to £37million in advance payments available to him.

However, the Premier League will only give Pompey their TV money and parachute payments now if that cash goes to the people on their creditors' list and is not used for other purposes.

That demand is one of the key elements of the offer and leaves Pompey's administrator to decide how much he needs to dip into in order to do a deal with the tax man among others.

Rumours of a 30p-in-the-pound deal have been circulating - traced back to Fratton Park sources - and that would mean around £24-£25m advanced from the Premier League.

But insiders reveal that Pompey have yet to ask for anything like that much and would ideally like to leave as much of the parachute payments for a later date as possible

If this comes to pass, then Pompey have got away with it. They would come out with a CVA and start next season with some parachute money left to go back up.

The year Pompey won promotion in 2002/03, Saints came 8th in the Premiership(4th on Boxing Day) and played in the FA Cup final and qualified for Europe. Hardly struggling in the Premiership! :D

Fail. :smt119

We went 4th at Christmas by beating Pompey. I struggle to see how we'd have done that without them being in the top flight at the time...

If this comes to pass, then Pompey have got away with it. They would come out with a CVA and start next season with some parachute money left to go back up.

I wouldn't put too much credence in rumours - especially ones "traced back to Fratton Park sources"! And they wouldn't get a CVA at 30p in the pound either - not with HMRC as a major unsecured creditor.

Love it, how these guys have grasped their current plight, and feel contrite....not!

Bear in mind who's likely to be sold. Belhadj, Wilson, KPB,should get £6-£8 mill, and have they not all been linked to non prem teams, so the issue of them not being able to play against us is minimal, plus the only two decent sides we have left is villa and everton. Plus we should get the £6mill in tv money early, suddenly the debt is minus another £12 mill, plus the players wages from mid may onwards.

To me, if the prem want to help us why don't they ask inter, spuds and scousepool and anyone else who owes us money to pay up 1st.

The last bit makes me laugh, they can't/won't pay their own debts, but want others to pay debts owed to them, you really couldn't make it up ffs.

I think it was for two seasons running we were 4th around boxing day?

Nope, never got near it in 02/03, we were midtable throughout.

Also, on the whole "opening the transfer window" thing, it's interesting to note that the ONLY place reporting this at the moment is the News. None of the nationals have mentioned it, so until such time I'll assume they're talking crap.

So they might be able to sell players, but then have them loaned back? Why hasn't Jamie O'Hara been sent back? IT was clear he was brought in at a time when THEY COULD NOT AFFORD to bring anyone in. Why open it back up because of their own ****ing stupid decisions?

Just sums Pompey up as a whole.

I somehow think that this will not be such a money-spinner as Mr Astrologicalfees hopes it might be!

Its a depressed market out there and the Skates saleable assets in terms of players are a bit sparse on the ground.

Buying clubs can afford to play hardball in terms of negotiated price, and indeed they can afford to wait to the summer anyway when prices might be driven down even more - Or AA sells cheap just to coin in something.

Cheating it might be but I take solice that the humiliation they are suffering as a result of this far outweighs that :D

There is no way at all that HMRC will accept 30p in the pound. Any suggestion of it is laughable. They want 100% and nothing less. They CANNOT be seen to be a soft touch and so they will ask for the full amount. If PCFC do offer them the full amount then they must also do that for all over creditors (I think!). They will not get a CVA. No way.

Oh go on. Treat yourself.

OK.

Self proclaimed 'best fans in the world'. Can't even fill their ground at full price. Or half price. Or kids for a quid. Can't even fill their ground when their club needs it the most. Only sing when the cameras are there.

John PFC W******d.

Oh... and the fact they have blamed everyone other than their own club for the meltdown.

Odious band of tarmaccing, fortune telling mongoloids.

I somehow think that this will not be such a money-spinner as Mr Astrologicalfees hopes it might be!

Its a depressed market out there and the Skates saleable assets in terms of players are a bit sparse on the ground.

Buying clubs can afford to play hardball in terms of negotiated price, and indeed they can afford to wait to the summer anyway when prices might be driven down even more - Or AA sells cheap just to coin in something.

Cheating it might be but I take solice that the humiliation they are suffering as a result of this far outweighs that :D

The problem is - they don't see it as humiliation!! They still see themselves as being hard done by and the world & his dog are against them. Not sure what you can do to humiliate them, which why liquidation was so attractive.

From BBC Local News

'Portsmouth players have stepped in to save the jobs of four of the club's training ground staff, manager Avram Grant has said.

The debt-ridden club laid off 85 staff in a bid to cut costs after going into administration in February.

But players and staff have rallied to cover the wages of the club groundsman, a masseur and two others.

"The players, me, the staff and everybody contributed, and I must say we were happy to do it," said Grant.'

I bet Grant is happy to keep on the Masseur, probably cheaper than those at Unit 1 !!

From BBC Local News

'Portsmouth players have stepped in to save the jobs of four of the club's training ground staff, manager Avram Grant has said.

The debt-ridden club laid off 85 staff in a bid to cut costs after going into administration in February.

But players and staff have rallied to cover the wages of the club groundsman, a masseur and two others.

"The players, me, the staff and everybody contributed, and I must say we were happy to do it," said Grant.'

I bet Grant is happy to keep on the Masseur, probably cheaper than those at Unit 1 !!

it is a great jesture but of course the total wages are 1500 pw. That is less than 100 from each player and no doubt the 4 people saved are staff who the players need to run errands.

Another 'Window open' article built around Andy Awford asking for Grant to be involved with player sales. Again interesting comments (looks like reality is dawning for the Few)

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/frattonlatest/Blues-stars-up-for-grabs.6175493.jp

Edit: And another one: http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/Administrator-gains-vital-advantage-in.6176563.jp

Edited by Joensuu

Another 'Window open' article built around Andy Awford asking for Grant to be involved with player sales. Again interesting comments (looks like reality is dawning for the Few)

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/frattonlatest/Blues-stars-up-for-grabs.6175493.jp

Edit: And another one: http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/Administrator-gains-vital-advantage-in.6176563.jp

Another one, that hasn't grasped what he is saying...lol....hope he re-reads what he posted, then looks at why they are where they are!

Makka,

24/03/2010 11:30:18 Post 25

Even if liquidation is avoided in the short term,what happens next season. No tv money,no merchandise money not much but still signed away for another 2years,how are the club going to pay any wages with only the gate receipt money coming in?

pompey given permission to sell players. WTF

I don't really understand it either. I mean can't any team sell players outside of the window anyhow? (I thought the restriction was that the player couldn't join their new clubs until the opening of the next window)

So what exactly has changed? Is this actually just the Premiership reopening the loan window? Or removing restrictions around multiple clubs, or loan-backs?

Cracking quote from Dazzablue...

"the soon this so called administrator has gone the better he cant be trusted he is doing nothing for the fans he is only helping out creditors"

Can we or any other clubs sell players outside the transfer window? (I'm assuming not since that's why "special permission" has been granted):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8585099.stm

So, the message here is: if you horrendously mismanaged, act illegally, trade while insolvent, get into a HUGE financial mess, then you're allowed to have a special transfer window all to yourself. Reward the worst, most incompetent, cheating team. That's fair.

How can they allow this and not open the window in the same way for *every* club in the PL?

Cracking quote from Dazzablue...

"the soon this so called administrator has gone the better he cant be trusted he is doing nothing for the fans he is only helping out creditors"

Isn't that exactly what the administrator's there for? Obviously wasn't his turn for the communal brain cell today.

From BBC Local News

How do you know its not "Sucky F@cky Avram?" from unit 1

Can we or any other clubs sell players outside the transfer window? (I'm assuming not since that's why "special permission" has been granted):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8585099.stm

So, the message here is: if you horrendously mismanaged, act illegally, trade while insolvent, get into a HUGE financial mess, then you're allowed to have a special transfer window all to yourself. Reward the worst, most incompetent, cheating team. That's fair.

How can they allow this and not open the window in the same way for *every* club in the PL?

As I see it, you can sell players but you can't sign them, unless it is classed as an 'emergency' and is with the permission of the Premier League. That means that the club taking over the player would also be signing outside the window, even if the same player were loaned straight back.

English Conference clubs are not bound by the window system ;)

pompey given permission to sell players. WTF

I am under the impression that clubs can buy/sell players at any time, but they cannot play them while the while the transfer window is closed, which would seem to be a pointless exercise, as they,(the players), still need to be paid, (or not, in the case of PCFC).

I was under the impression that the transfer window was brought in to stop clubs buying and strengthening their teams close to the end of a season. Not sure the intention was ever really to stop clubs offloading players in a crisis. I don't have a problem allowing a team to offload players to weaken their team. Otherwise are you going to ban clubs sitting top performers on the bench to prevent excessive bonuses? It's the same argument really.

I was under the impression that the transfer window was brought in to stop clubs buying and strengthening their teams close to the end of a season. Not sure the intention was ever really to stop clubs offloading players in a crisis. I don't have a problem allowing a team to offload players to weaken their team. Otherwise are you going to ban clubs sitting top performers on the bench to prevent excessive bonuses? It's the same argument really.

The problem is that the deal they are trying to tie up is that the players get loaned back and are allowed to continue playing for the club. Therefore they have brought in a signing on fee, reduced the wage bill and still got the player playing for them. Does not seem right somehow.

Have I missed something here, I thought you could sell players at any time but you could only buy players when the window was open. Hence Pompey could already sell players to clubs in Russia or Ukraine for example, but not to any English clubs.

The problem is that the deal they are trying to tie up is that the players get loaned back and are allowed to continue playing for the club. Therefore they have brought in a signing on fee, reduced the wage bill and still got the player playing for them. Does not seem right somehow.

No it's not right and I'm sure that other clubs would complain bitterly. I don't know whether another club could pay a deposit with a view to signing the player in the summer?

Have I missed something here, I thought you could sell players at any time but you could only buy players when the window was open. Hence Pompey could already sell players to clubs in Russia or Ukraine for example, but not to any English clubs.

That's quite correct, you can't sign a player during the window, either on permanent or on loan... ...except in amergency and with the permission of the PL