Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Well, my and most Pompey fans attitude is largely driven by a backs to the wall siege mentality that's built up over the last 18 months. We've gone from Premiership top ten to Championship basket case in a very, very short time and it's been pretty painful.

Because of that attitudes have hardened. We're fortunate to still be in business, so frankly anything else is a bonus- that's why most of us are fairly buoyant at the moment. I'm not suggesting that it's morally right, but after what we've seen crumble in front of us, the fact that there's still something left amongst the rubble to still get behind, is cause enough for celebration for most of us.

As you've gone through a similar, or even worse scenario to ours over the last five years, surely you can at least understand, if not agree, with the above attitude?

Well, my and most Pompey fans attitude is largely driven by a backs to the wall siege mentality that's built up over the last 18 months. We've gone from Premiership top ten to Championship basket case in a very, very short time and it's been pretty painful.

Because of that attitudes have hardened. We're fortunate to still be in business, so frankly anything else is a bonus- that's why most of us are fairly buoyant at the moment. I'm not suggesting that it's morally right, but after what we've seen crumble in front of us, the fact that there's still something left amongst the rubble to still get behind, is cause enough for celebration for most of us.

As you've gone through a similar, or even worse scenario to ours over the last five years, surely you can at least understand, if not agree, with the above attitude?

prem top ten? yes, scraped for one season - never seen as established top flight team

Well, largely driven by a backs to the wall siege mentality that's built up over the last 18 months. We've gone from Premiership top ten to Championship basket case in a very, very short time and it's been pretty painful.

Because of that attitudes have hardened. The fact that there's still something left amongst the rubble to still get behind, is cause enough for celebration for most of us.

Yeah, sounds familiar.

Are you looking forward to League 1?

I'll say it again: No-one outside the SO postcode cares. They really don't. Anecdotal evidence such as "Well, the XYZ FC fans I spoke to at the weekend are outraged at cheating, lying Pompey," probably only ventured a supportive, anti Pompey opinion after it was raised and ranted on about by one of your good selves!

Within five minutes of the conversation ending it's tomorrow's chip paper again. It's happened to too many clubs up and down the country to have the mass shock/horror/outrage effect you'd like to think every football fan is feeling about nasty old Pompey...

You're all only bitter and twisted about it because our badly run club was better at damage limitation than your badly run club. All the bleating and woe-is-me gnashing of teeth on behalf of poor 'Terry the builder' and his like doesn't disguise the fact that all the mock outrage is purely driven by hatred of us, your nearest rivals....

Swindon Town/Brighton/Leeds forums all have lengthy threads about your cheating.

You're all only bitter and twisted about it because our badly run club was better at damage limitation than your badly run club. All the bleating and woe-is-me gnashing of teeth on behalf of poor 'Terry the builder' and his like doesn't disguise the fact that all the mock outrage is purely driven by hatred of us, your nearest rivals....

Not all of us.

Some of us are simply laughing at you. Let's face it, a year ago you were cracking open Bottles of Bubbly to celebrate being brought by.... A dodgy geezer that EVEN Cherrypip/LLS/Whacko turned down during Due Dilligence.

Your Corporate stupidity leading up to THAT moment, and ALL the spending and lies that followed are what this is about. Sultan Bin Trump, the fake sheikh and the (allegedly) fake SoA for the EPL.

Up until a year ago you could have got away with comparing yourselves to Hull City, Bradford or Barnsley who sprayed their PL money on short term gambles, but oh no you were going to take your 100 million debt, your 14,000 fans and spend even more on a toilet bowl stadium, Maradona & Riquelme.

Better at damage limitation? THAT is the funniest line yet to have come out of this sorry saga. Better at LYING more like. (Source Peter Scudamore)

(Oh, and the ONLY reason you still have the glimmer of hope that is Chanrai is because you CONNED him into lending you some money). As others of the blue colour are working out, he's only staying to get his cash back)

Wtf is going on with the KPB transfer? The Genoa - Milan loan thingy looks very dodgy indeed. Hope there's a proper audit trail and everything checks out. How was the 5M paid? In used fivers in a brown paper bag under Blackfriars Bridge? Or is it just intangible loan notes or something that can't be verified so it looks like the terms of the CVA have been met?

We've gone from Premiership top ten to Championship basket case in a very, very short time and it's been pretty painful.

...yeah...but...you also went from "Championship basket case" (your rightful place) to the Premiership in a "very, very short time" thanks only to a billionaire and then only stayed there by massively spending (and cheating) above such a small club's means. You also saw your crowds triple from the usual pitiful fartton attendances in the process.

With a bit of luck normal service is about to be resumed.

Oh, it's merely pity is it? Sorry, 32583 posts and over a million views would suggest otherwise....

Exactly. Just like a soap you are compelling because your situation has been farscical and appears to be never ending. Your club has managed to give so much entertainment, anger, discussion, pity and outrage because of what you DID.

In all probability there is more to come...that will heighten again all the aforementioned emotions

As no-one has any idea how the KPB '£5m' is being paid, perhaps the blue few might like to consider that it is very unlikely that it is in cash and all up front?

As the FCR doesn't apply to overseas football clubs, it could be assumed that only a proportion of the £5m will be received in this period - and the CVA money is required as CASH right now if PFC are to repay the first installment.

Still plenty more to come in this saga!

As they say at McD's - 'i'm loving it'

We really are tiring of pointing out the difference between the scenario we underwent and the path you took. But as it has not penetrated yet, perhaps it needs explaining just one more time.

Yes, we were a comparitively short time ago also in a top ten position in the Premiership and likewise have fallen from grace and been relegated even further than you.

BUT

Like him or loathe him, at least Lowe attempted to have us live within our means financially. Our demise came more through selling off our best players to stay afloat, buying in journeymen and playing the kids to take their place. Those measures were an attempt to live within our means financially. We also lacked stability by our constant changing of the manager and unrest caused by board in-fighting.

Your demise came through a succession of owners throwing money at your team by increasing the Club's debts to atronomical levels that were unsustainable with your income. Despite the massive revenue from Sky, you still managed to p*ss that all up the wall and then spend substantial extra sums, so that the expenditure on just players wages almost matched the club's turnover. So effectively you gained an advantage over most other clubs because of expenditure you couldn't afford and while trading insolvently.

There. I've explained the difference between our two cases in as simple terms as I can. Can you now understand why we have zero sympathy for you lot?

Wtf is going on with the KPB transfer? The Genoa - Milan loan thingy looks very dodgy indeed. Hope there's a proper audit trail and everything checks out. How was the 5M paid? In used fivers in a brown paper bag under Blackfriars Bridge? Or is it just intangible loan notes or something that can't be verified so it looks like the terms of the CVA have been met?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8925775.stm Yep, just reading that this morning and thought it was a VERY strange deal. Maybe its just another example of the werird world of modern football finance, just a coincidence it involves the CHEATS.

As no-one has any idea how the KPB '£5m' is being paid, perhaps the blue few might like to consider that it is very unlikely that it is in cash and all up front?

As the FCR doesn't apply to overseas football clubs, it could be assumed that only a proportion of the £5m will be received in this period - and the CVA money is required as CASH right now if PFC are to repay the first installment.

Still plenty more to come in this saga!

As they say at McD's - 'i'm loving it'

I believe that someone a little while back was talking about pompey's demands for selling KPB, something like.. All up front, all agents fee's paid, 40% sell on clause and a cuddly toy. Whether they got those in the end we don't know.

three years ago when we were telling them the figures didn't stack up I was being told by them that there was no problem, there were millions coming into the club from Sky, they didn't get it then that there were millions going through the club from Sky.

I gave up trying to explain that it was a house of cards, they didn't get it then and if they don't get it now, they never will.

One or two of the european clubs shafted by the CVA may advise Genoa that they don't actually have to pay, or they can offer a pittance as full settlement in three months.

Pompey have lost street cred through their european dealings and it might come back to haunt them.

As for the words of the FL chairman, that was the first time they have issued a clear warning to Pompey that their card is marked, from that I suspect they are keen to restrict any transfer activity until the books balance....

The CVA is still millions short of minimum target, who will be paying the wages when the advanced parachute money runs out?

Those pesky wages go out every month and even though they've been reduced from 96% of turnover (maybe they are still 96% of current turnover!), it's still a sum to find, along with debt repayment - and I do hope they are on top of PAYE and NI and VAT.

Let's see if the business that can make it to Christmas without failing to meet the CVA or the wages.

We really are tiring of pointing out the difference between the scenario we underwent and the path you took. But as it has not penetrated yet, perhaps it needs explaining just one more time.

Yes, we were a comparitively short time ago also in a top ten position in the Premiership and likewise have fallen from grace and been relegated even further than you.

BUT

Like him or loathe him, at least Lowe attempted to have us live within our means financially. Our demise came more through selling off our best players to stay afloat, buying in journeymen and playing the kids to take their place. Those measures were an attempt to live within our means financially. We also lacked stability by our constant changing of the manager and unrest caused by board in-fighting.

Your demise came through a succession of owners throwing money at your team by increasing the Club's debts to atronomical levels that were unsustainable with your income. Despite the massive revenue from Sky, you still managed to p*ss that all up the wall and then spend substantial extra sums, so that the expenditure on just players wages almost matched the club's turnover. So effectively you gained an advantage over most other clubs because of expenditure you couldn't afford and while trading insolvently.

There. I've explained the difference between our two cases in as simple terms as I can. Can you now understand why we have zero sympathy for you lot?

AND, for example,

we came out of administration , and started our L1 campaign with one teenage striker.

Poopey came out of a FAR worse situation with a strike force of Nugent and Smith, a decent Championship strike force .(and apparently refusing to listen to offers for them that would help them fulfill the terms of the CVA).

No wonder Saints/ Cardiff/ Swindon fans are bitter.

And another thing....

Nugent & Utaka on £30k/week+

Mokoena, Mullins, Brown, Hughes, Webber, Wilson & Smith all on at least £20k/week

+ presumably some contribution towards Sonko & Dickinson's prem wages,

+ 10 others on some sort of wage

is going to be way above any sort of budget agreed in the CVA yet they seem happy to hang onto all of the above, plus trying to get the likes of Rocha back if he accepts their £10k wage cap. (Which, btw, from Cotterill's comments the other day suggested that he was on way more than that last season when they signed him whilst broke.)

As usual with the CHEATS, the numbrs just don't add up

sorry pfc123 mate but you are believing the hype again, you only have the AA version of events with an extra twist of News give-them-what-they-want-to-hear spin.

Reading between his own lines -

You didn't need Chanrai's money because AA ploughed his way through the 2011 money instead - suicidal long term planning.

He spent just £8M in 3 months and makes out that's a good thing - that rate of spending will see the club back in admin shortly.

Vantis suggested the club needed £12M a month to clear debt and trade solvently, they were right - AA just ignored the debt, traded insolvently and managed to write off some under the CVA.

So forget the court and the taxman - the FL still need to give their approval of the CVA?....interesting.

He is convinced they will - but they may not be as easily conned as the high court.

That'll be the world according to AA then.

Any bets on them still being in admin on Sept 16th? - AA hasn't met one of his PR puff dream deadlines yet.

three years ago when we were telling them the figures didn't stack up I was being told by them that there was no problem, there were millions coming into the club from Sky, they didn't get it then that there were millions going through the club from Sky.

I gave up trying to explain that it was a house of cards, they didn't get it then and if they don't get it now, they never will.

One or two of the european clubs shafted by the CVA may advise Genoa that they don't actually have to pay, or they can offer a pittance as full settlement in three months.

Pompey have lost street cred through their european dealings and it might come back to haunt them.

As for the words of the FL chairman, that was the first time they have issued a clear warning to Pompey that their card is marked, from that I suspect they are keen to restrict any transfer activity until the books balance....

The CVA is still millions short of minimum target, who will be paying the wages when the advanced parachute money runs out?

Those pesky wages go out every month and even though they've been reduced from 96% of turnover (maybe they are still 96% of current turnover!), it's still a sum to find, along with debt repayment - and I do hope they are on top of PAYE and NI and VAT.

Let's see if the business that can make it to Christmas without failing to meet the CVA or the wages.

A few of us were telling them about it even in the S4E days. Ho and co were spouting on how that the stadium and surrounds were worth fortunes as there was a queue of companied wishing to build hotels etc Lol. The NotW said they were over 100m in debt but PS came out and rubbished that and it went quiet. The talk that crouch was on 90k pw and so it was obvious the crowds/tv money could not sustain these costs.to think that gaydamek was going to bankroll the surplus was naive as well.

Out of admin around 15th September apparently. Not going to be easy to keep our heads above water on the pitch without new faces, so January could be pivotal.

Looks like we're doing ok cash wise also now which is encouraging....

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/frattonlatest/Pompey-39to-exit-administration-on.6483025.jp

TBH I find that report absolutly gobsmacking!

He may as well have put that little lot out as an advert for other clubs to show how to run up 100 million of debt and still come out of it with a half decent team ready to attempt a promotion push back to the money of the prem.

If the FL look at it and think the same then they could make it very difficult for your lot to proceed but what seems more likly to happen is, they will see how your lot have completly flounced the rules and taken the P*ss and then adjust there rules to make sure no-one can take the P*ss in this way again.

If I were to be unfortunate enough to support your lot I would feel chuffed to still have a club to support but absolutly disgusted at how they have gone about cheating the system to line the pockets of a few rich nobbers that only came here in the hope of earning some fast cash.

s

So forget the court and the taxman - the FL still need to give their approval of the CVA?....interesting.

He is convinced they will - but they may not be as easily conned as the high court.

very interesting.

There must be a good chance of them approving it but with a nice points penalty.

Remember, the FL can make up it's own rules as it goes along as they did with Leeds. The other clubs' chairmen will be out for blood and the FL will probably want to curry favour with the taxman.

Out of admin around 15th September apparently. Not going to be easy to keep our heads above water on the pitch without new faces, so January could be pivotal.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/frattonlatest/Pompey-39to-exit-administration-on.6483025.jp

still 650k pw to run the club if he is right. If that includes his fees in that period as well I dont think it can add up, but without the info it is hard to tell

This is what makes us right, and you cheats:-

We can still do loans and out of contracts before Sept 15th

and one assume we will get some dispensation to sign a few transfer now or by and extended window etc

We need players to be able to compete... so the Championships rule of teams playing on an even playing field is rubbish!

Why is the league taking so long? Unless like the prem certain clubs get favoured treatment and the others are treated like cr*p?? Sep 9th seems a long time away for them...

Hopefully we'll be able to get several frees and loans when embargo ends and come january chanrai will fun a few transfers, be nice if we could of spent some money now though, nevermind I suppose

AA did it the devil, well done.

Now regards to transfers whats your take on the situation.

Club just announced 4 kids off.

so means we can sign 7 loans now isn't it

can do our of contracts also and loans not real restrictions ?

but would you agree some dispensation if we need to do some transfer business ie a signing, i think possible if we canfind the rights ones

Well at least we know now, but there seems little reason for the FL to drag their heels other than to shaft the club. Do they only work 1 day a month there?

Can't really understand why its taking a load of old cronies sitting around a table so long to approve Chanrai as owner after all he was technically the owner before we went into admin so they know all about him.For gods sake you old faggots sign the paper so we can come out of administration.

At least we now Chainrai wasnt funding the admin process,like I said.

Convient as well that we wont come out of admin until after the window shuts. Why didnt the club ask the league for a special meting?

How come Palace came out of admin the day after their CVA was agreed?

Seems other clubs get special treatment except us.

Just a few of the responses, alas, not many on there so far, claiming you are in the wrong

BUT

EXACTLY, this is the crux of the matter. How they can fail to acknowledge this is, to be frank, quite dispicable. Yes, both of our clubs went into administration - but any other similarities stop there. We acknowledged the problem immediately and put into place measures designed to reduce our debt.

They on the other hand decided to (hide) ignore the debt, continue to trade normally (although probably insolvently) and subsequently run up inordinate levels of debt, which the 'small man' now has to take the hit on (again).

How they can fail to understand the massive difference between these two scenarios is beyond me.

PCFC will be liquidated in June and New Co will take over. The forensic investigation will begin with HMRC/court overview which will keep us going in the close season. In the meantime aren't the parachute payments to be used to settle the £22.3m of football debt frozen pending the HMRC v EPL court case? So if the football debt isn't settled in full where does that leave PCFC in the interim? In any event the £48m to be normally paid to a relegated club is first two years £16m each, final two years £8m each, however haven't PCFC already been advanced about £11m to keep them going? Wouldn't that mean that the football debt, even if the EPL win their case, can't be settled until August 2012, so how is that going to work regarding the coming out of administration. Just to make things a little more precarious, aren't Mandaric and Redknapp then Storrie in the Criminal court in October or thereabouts to answer charges regarding illegal payments to avoid tax?

Cotterill on SSN bleating about Cuddly Uncle Avram poaching not only his players (Wilson next) but also his "Analyst". Who is following David Coles to Upton Park.

Was this guy responsible for keeping track of the debt. It wasn't much of a job recording any passes/goals/points last year.

Cotterill on SSN bleating about Cuddly Uncle Avram poaching not only his players (Wilson next) but also his "Analyst". Who is following David Coles to Upton Park.

Was this guy responsible for keeping track of the debt. It wasn't much of a job recording any passes/goals/points last year.

Ahhhh Uncle Avram who thought so much of the 'fantastic fans'....seems like that's forgotten then.

I'll give Cotterill until Xmas - he'll walk before the big sell off in January.......

Yep, when Wilson goes, Cotterill will walk as it becomes clear that Chinnery will not be funding the club any more than he absolutely has to in order to get his money back. IMO.

Either that, or he'll fund them enough to try to get back to the PL (our worst nightmare if he succeeds). The jury's still out on which way he's going to go.

sorry pfc123 mate but you are believing the hype again, you only have the AA version of events with an extra twist of News give-them-what-they-want-to-hear spin.

Reading between his own lines -

You didn't need Chanrai's money because AA ploughed his way through the 2011 money instead - suicidal long term planning.

He spent just £8M in 3 months and makes out that's a good thing - that rate of spending will see the club back in admin shortly.

Vantis suggested the club needed £12M a month to clear debt and trade solvently, they were right - AA just ignored the debt, traded insolvently and managed to write off some under the CVA.

That'll be the world according to AA then.

Any bets on them still being in admin on Sept 16th? - AA hasn't met one of his PR puff dream deadlines yet.

Good points. But, just to play devil's advocate, the bastard was correct about winning against the incompetent HMRC in court.

BUT

That part is worth emphasising. Cheats FC received far more during their time in the FL, and their parachute payments are more than three times what we got. And yet we didn't go into administration until a few years after relegation. To go into administration while still being in the PL (and receiving the riches for 7 years) is an absolute disgrace.

Good points. But, just to play devil's advocate, the bastard was correct about winning against the incompetent HMRC in court.

Yes, but read the piece in The Snooze earlier this week and it doesn't read like the latter. Watch the ball, not the feet!

Either that, or he'll fund them enough to try to get back to the PL (our worst nightmare if he succeeds). The jury's still out on which way he's going to go.

There is less risk involved for him if he just lets them hang on until he has all his money back from the parachute payments rather than investing.

Doubt it

If that was the case he'd have taken them over by now and would be providing funding to strengthen the squad. The press reports that say he's apparently going to take over in a few weeks (once the transfer window is shut) speaks volumes to me if true

good point that - a shrewd and serious businessman would have waited for the CVA approval and then been in there like a rat up a drainpipe.

As soon as the large chunk of debt was written off the plan could be launched -

finalise the takeover deal that was obviously done with AA months before, pump money into the squad and prepare to attempt an immediate return to the big money world of the Prem - only pausing to close the annoying 653 page thread down the road.

But would do we see? A half-hearted and lengthy change of ownership - he hasn't even done the FaPP test that was mentioned a month ago, not the action of someone who wants a club.

No sign of new funding, no sign of a serious attempt at moving the club forward....there's a limit to how long you wait for developments, the CVA was key - unless he doesn't believe it's viability either?....or he believes the FL won't approve it....

Meanwhile Palace have exited admin smoothly, embargo lifted and planning a future - though signing Edgar Davids would suggest they haven't learned their financial lesson yet.

Meanwhile folk hero Avram continues to support his own theory that you can't take their spirit but you can help yourself to most of their staff - he has Pompey bent over like a Thai crack addict behind an industrial estate skip.

More laughs to come.

good point that - a shrewd and serious businessman would have waited for the CVA approval and then been in there like a rat up a drainpipe.

finalise the takeover deal that was obviously done with AA months before, pump money into the squad and prepare to attempt an immediate return to the big money world of the Prem - only pausing to close the annoying 653 page thread down the road.

But would do we see? A half-hearted and lengthy change of ownership - he hasn't even done the FaPP test that was mentioned a month ago, not the action of someone who wants a club.

No sign of new funding, no sign of a serious attempt at moving the club forward....there's a limit to how long you wait for developments, the CVA was key - unless he doesn't believe it's viability either?....or he believes the FL won't approve it....

Meanwhile Palace have exited admin smoothly, embargo lifted and planning a future - though signing Edgar Davids would suggest they haven't learned their financial lesson yet.

Meanwhile folk hero Avram continues to support his own theory that you can't take their spirit but you can help yourself to most of their staff - he has Pompey bent over like a Thai crack addict behind an industrial estate skip.

More laughs to come.

not to mention the press release just after they won the court case which stated something like "Chainrai was unsure" about buying the club

More laughs to come.

Not for the first time, you've come up with a great simile there. Top stuff.

But would do we see? A half-hearted and lengthy change of ownership he hasn't even done the FaPP test that was mentioned a month ago, not the action of someone who wants a club.

More laughs to come.

Half hearted? He can't complete a takeover until the FL gives it's approval at a meeting on 9th September.....