Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

It seems they have not yet learned the lesson that to keep borrowing borrowing borrowing is just insane. Such is the desperation to stay in the premiership, but it will be the death of them sooner or later.

"We're gradually sorting things out. We're working around the clock to do so. But its not going to happen overnight – we've been in charge [only] four weeks."

But our owner sorted the money side out within days of taking over IIRC :D

YDRC.

Harry tapes are handed over in football probe

City of London Police have won a court order against the News of the World forcing them to hand over taped interviews and documents relating to a football corruption investigation.

The Sunday newspaper had refused when asked by the economic crime department, whose marathon football probe dates back to the start of the Premier League bung inquiry in January 2006.

But the court order last week gave them no option but to co-operate.

article-0-070A5228000005DC-539_468x305.jpg Tapes: Spurs boss Harry Redknapp

The haul includes interviews with Spurs boss Harry Redknapp, Portsmouth chief executive Peter Storrie and Leicester chairman Milan Mandaric, all of whom have been on bail on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud and false accounting for nearly two years.

Storrie has been told by the HM Revenue and Customs, who are the lead authority in the investigation, he will be charged. Storrie says it concerns unpaid tax for Amdy Faye’s signing-on fee he received on joining Portsmouth from Auxerre for £1.5million in 2003.

Storrie, on honeymoon when the deal was negotiated, will ‘defend the allegations in the strongest possible terms’.

Redknapp’s part allegedly relates to an off-shore Monaco account into which £100,000 was paid for his percentage entitlement from the £5m sale of Peter Crouch from Portsmouth to Aston Villa in 2005.

Redknapp said: 'This is about a discrepancy of about £10,000 in income tax when I’ve paid £10m in tax over the past 10 years. This is what it’s come down to and I’m sick of it.’

Former Pompey chairman Mandaric has added to the confusion by claiming cash in the Redknapp offshore account was paid by him for a proposed US business

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1224807/CHARLES-SALE-A-dozen-Premier-League-clubs-proud-poppies.html#ixzz0VmeBpTKQ

Is it common for managers to have an entitlement to a percentage of transfer fees or is this just Harry's peculiarity?

I am astonished that this is allowed (well, maybe it isn't!) as it is clearly a massive conflict of interest when individuals who do not own the club/company can personally benefit from a sale of its assets on terms agreed by them! Complete madness.

So, if this is all to be believed, they will successfully re-negotiate terms and repayments of the existing debt and this will enable them to start buying players again. In my mind, this will require funds to be provided by a 3rd party, since the projected future revenues will no doubt be "owned" by the creditors until monies owed are repaid.

Using future revenues, how long will it take to manage down this debt before any investor can start taking some of that cash him/herself by way of a return on their investment? By that time, they will surely be a CCC team or worse and the TV income would have all but dried up. Would they be an attractive proposition to a new investor as a CCC team with substantially less debt, a dilapidated stadium and no training facilities?

I'm trying to see this from a neutral's point of view and I always come to the same conclusion. In no way can this generate a return in the short to medium term for an investor, no matter how deep his pockets. Likewise, without the investment in the team, relegation is, at best, a mere certainty.

They're stuffed.

Mark Jacob, the lawyer of Ali al-Faraj, who bought Portsmouth last month, said of the £15m: "It's a facility provided by a third party, that's all. Like you or I would go to a bank and borrow money on our property or whatever."

Surely the more accurate analogy is to go to a loan shark to borrow money to pay off a credit card which is paying off another credit card which is paying off a Ocean Finance loan which is paying off another credit card which is paying off the mortgage which was 120% mortgage on a two bed semi that has lost 50% of its value and the roof leaks.

But in five years time the house will be turned ninety degrees and will become a 500 bed luxury hotel. With Riquelme as head bell boy. Honest it will.

So, if this is all to be believed, they will successfully re-negotiate terms and repayments of the existing debt and this will enable them to start buying players again. In my mind, this will require funds to be provided by a 3rd party, since the projected future revenues will no doubt be "owned" by the creditors until monies owed are repaid.

Using future revenues, how long will it take to manage down this debt before any investor can start taking some of that cash him/herself by way of a return on their investment? By that time, they will surely be a CCC team or worse and the TV income would have all but dried up. Would they be an attractive proposition to a new investor as a CCC team with substantially less debt, a dilapidated stadium and no training facilities?

I'm trying to see this from a neutral's point of view and I always come to the same conclusion. In no way can this generate a return in the short to medium term for an investor, no matter how deep his pockets. Likewise, without the investment in the team, relegation is, at best, a mere certainty.

They're stuffed.

The way I see it, the ONLY way they can continue is if someone buys the debt and writes it off.

Then, starting from zero, they can rely on their Sky money (for as long as they're in the Premiership) and their gates.

I know that the Sky money at the start of the season was used to pay off some debt. Is any of the January Sky money ring-fenced in a similar fashion?

Their gates are so low as to make no real impact on their income.

It's difficult to see how, even if their debt is written off, they can continue to pay wages etc.

Their business plan is doomed. Or am I missing something?

Mark Jacob, the lawyer of Ali al-Faraj, who bought Portsmouth last month, said of the £15m: "It's a facility provided by a third party, that's all. Like you or I would go to a bank and borrow money on our property or whatever."

Surely the more accurate analogy is to go to a loan shark to borrow money to pay off a credit card which is paying off another credit card which is paying off a Ocean Finance loan which is paying off another credit card which is paying off the mortgage which was 120% mortgage on a two bed semi that has lost 50% of its value and the roof leaks.

But in five years time the house will be turned ninety degrees and will become a 500 bed luxury hotel. With Riquelme as head bell boy. Honest it will.

As Yul Bryner once said "etcetera, etcetera, etcetera". Love it!

The way I see it, the ONLY way they can continue is if someone buys the debt and writes it off.

Then, starting from zero, they can rely on their Sky money (for as long as they're in the Premiership) and their gates.

I know that the Sky money at the start of the season was used to pay off some debt. Is any of the January Sky money ring-fenced in a similar fashion?

Their gates are so low as to make no real impact on their income.

It's difficult to see how, even if their debt is written off, they can continue to pay wages etc.

Their business plan is doomed. Or am I missing something?

The way I see it their plan is not sustainable, they are just buying time hoping that if they stay in the prem someone will turn up.

It's impossible to know what is going on but from bits in the press it is pretty clear Gaydamak still owns the property "assets" and either him or the bank have first dibs on January's Sky money.

The latest money that has been loaned is secured against future income so I can only assume that is next year's Sky money, which if they are relegated would probably be all their parachute cash.

If they go down they are ****ged, unless a backer turns up with serious cash I can see them going straight through the Championship. If they stay up they will just be fire fighting and delaying the inevitable relegation if they don't get a backer.

I love how corps posts have got gradually less polite and more hate filled as the blue fews situation has gotten worse and worse, keep it up corp, ull be as bitter and twisted as one poster I can think of on here soon enough.

who? he hasnt been on for yonks.Lol another weak excuse for it he will come up with

Edited by OldNick

could be a good opportunity to thrash out a deal with Marlon King if Storrie gets to share a cell with him, though knowing Pompey's luck, Harry on the next landing will call in another favour, hijack the deal last minute and take him to Spurs...

Anyway, hero Storrie must be innocent because for a week of that tax year he was away and he didn't know what was occurring at any point during the whole deal right up until the later annual tax return, and beyond.

The blue house of cards is wobbling like an MFI wardrobe in a stiff breeze.

So Mr inland revenue wastes many millions of our hard earned tax, Trying to recoup a few thow :walleyes: And thats providing they manage to make the shyt stick to one of the Teflon bruvers;)

Just hope they have not used up all the moneys that they could of been wasting on the asylum seekers.

So is Twitchy still under investigation & can we expect similar charges in the near future ?

Last we heard Mr Plod is still trying to feel the Collier of old Twitches EEL skinned shirt!;)

A better ? would of been. Whats the odds on them making it stick to Bag puss.

could be a good opportunity to thrash out a deal with Marlon King if Storrie gets to share a cell with him, though knowing Pompey's luck, Harry on the next landing will call in another favour, hijack the deal last minute and take him to Spurs...

Anyway, hero Storrie must be innocent because for a week of that tax year he was away and he didn't know what was occurring at any point during the whole deal right up until the later annual tax return, and beyond.

The blue house of cards is wobbling like an MFI wardrobe in a stiff breeze.

That last sentence deserves another airing. Classic!

:smt023 You tell em benjii;;)

To give you your dues, you seem to have a sense of perspective about this and underneath the humour are aware of the fact that Pompey's rightful level is mid-Championship to mid-League One. Not many sensible skates on here, so all credit.

yes that will be it Mr Loophole, the only place they are allowed to interview him is in court with a magistrate presiding in front of a public gallery.

It's only on The Bill and the Sweeney that they tape interviews under caution in police stations and the like before presenting the evidence to the CPS, then await a decision on whether a prosecution is likely to be successful and then name a court date - which is where we appear to have rushed to in this case.

It seems a bit unfair on him, I'm sure the agent earned the £500K on a £1.5M deal and that no one else would benefit from that HUGE fee, let alone the fee paid to the player illegally, I can't see any issues, what is wrong with the CPS, and the Premier League who must be hovering like vultures? - a guilty verdict would open the whole drum of worms and they would be squirming about all over Fratton goods yard inviting the attention of everyone from the fraud squad to Fifa.

I'm sure it will be fine and no further charges will follow against the other members of the gang.

Not that there was a gang.

Or even a crime.

So Mr inland revenue wastes many millions of our hard earned tax, Trying to recoup a few thow :walleyes: And thats providing they manage to make the shyt stick to one of the Teflon bruvers;)

Just hope they have not used up all the moneys that they could of been wasting on the asylum seekers.

Money well wasted if they can take arry down aswell.

Let's get this straight then.

Mr X works for a company with financial worries in a position where he has involvement in the decision making and managing of the finances.

He is seeking a loan or a series of loans from people to ensure the survival of the company.

The loans are risky to say the least.

Then Said Mr X is charged by the Police, (note not accused, charged) with a statutory crime relating to financial impropriety.

Let's just picture this in the real world shall we.

Hello Mr Bank Manager I know my mortgage is in negative equity but I need to extend my overdraft, I'm a good guy and very trust worthy I'll pay you back.... But I can't make the meeting next week I have to go in for meetings with my lawyers about....

Hello, Ocean Finance.....

Hello Mr Capone.......

Not good, very not good

yes that will be it Mr Loophole, the only place they are allowed to interview him is in court with a magistrate presiding in front of a public gallery.

It's only on The Bill and the Sweeney that they tape interviews under caution in police stations and the like before presenting the evidence to the CPS, then await a decision on whether a prosecution is likely to be successful and then name a court date - which is where we appear to have rushed to in this case.

It seems a bit unfair on him, I'm sure the agent earned the £500K on a £1.5M deal and that no one else would benefit from that HUGE fee, let alone the fee paid to the player illegally, I can't see any issues, what is wrong with the CPS, and the Premier League who must be hovering like vultures? - a guilty verdict would open the whole drum of worms and they would be squirming about all over Fratton goods yard inviting the attention of everyone from the fraud squad to Fifa.

I'm sure it will be fine and no further charges will follow against the other members of the gang.

Not that there was a gang.

Or even a crime.

Anyone else notice the other person who was outed on Panorama, is now saying that Benni McCarthy can leave and is in line to go to Pompey who at the time of the Panorama prog also had a person/persons implicated. Surely not a 'you scratch my back and Ill scratch yours' type of gesture.

Charging him is just standard police procedure. They have to charge you to speak to you.

What?

Totally wrong.

To interview about an offence you have to be cautioned - thats it.

You can be arrested - if its needed.

charged means that the CPS have reviewed the case, post interview, and believe there is a reasonable chance of a successful prosecution, i.e. a court will find him guilty.

What?

Totally wrong.

To interview about an offence you have to be cautioned - thats it.

You can be arrested - if its needed.

charged means that the CPS have reviewed the case, post interview, and believe there is a reasonable chance of a successful prosecution, i.e. a court will find him guilty.

Pretty much as we have on here then?

Let's get this straight then.

Mr X works for a company with financial worries in a position where he has involvement in the decision making and managing of the finances.

He is seeking a loan or a series of loans from people to ensure the survival of the company.

The loans are risky to say the least.

Then Said Mr X is charged by the Police, (note not accused, charged) with a statutory crime relating to financial impropriety.

Let's just picture this in the real world shall we.

Hello Mr Bank Manager I know my mortgage is in negative equity but I need to extend my overdraft, I'm a good guy and very trust worthy I'll pay you back.... But I can't make the meeting next week I have to go in for meetings with my lawyers about....

Hello, Ocean Finance.....

Hello Mr Capone.......

Not good, very not good

Not good at all. I want them out of existence and I think I'm gonna get my wish. I want red and white shirts worn by the kids in Portsmouth. I want a rivalry with Eastleigh.

How do you like these apples **** Ho, how do you like it now you inbed paedos?

SKATES ARE SOON TO BE NO MORE.

I'm dancing and gobbing on your grave, already.

HTH.

Not good at all. I want them out of existence and I think I'm gonna get my wish. I want red and white shirts worn by the kids in Portsmouth. I want a rivalry with Eastleigh.

How do you like these apples **** Ho, how do you like it now you inbed paedos?

SKATES ARE SOON TO BE NO MORE.

I'm dancing and gobbing on your grave, already.

HTH.

No beating about the bush there then - although I totally disagree with the sentiment(s) of the post entirely.

Contrary to being no more very soon, I actually think that they will get out of the mess that they are in and they will survive in the Premier League as well.

There are probably a whole host of Premiership Managers who have been very happy for Pompey to take the heat in the first two months of the season. Because of thier start, no points in 7 games, Paul Harte took all of the media shyte, whilst other managers got away with it.

Looking at the table now though - there are some woeful sides in the Premier League who have hardly made any better starts in reality. The likes of Hull, Blackburn etc have not 'cashed in' on Pompeys dismal performances so far.

Given the poor sides in the Prem and the fact that one 'dark horse' (NUFC last year) will also normally fall into the mix (WHU maybe) - I think that the Blue Few will be ok. So bad is the Premier League another 6 points and they woud be mid table...!

So whilst they lurch from one disaster to another, which I fully enjoy watching, I really don't think that they will cease to exist in the very near future, I really don't. Rivalry yes, but outright hatred - lifes too short - I'll pass if you don't mind.

Why do people persist with this cease to exist crap, if pompey go bust they wont cease to exist just like Saint were never going to cease to exist. There will always be a football club in Portsmouth and Southampton regardless of whatever companies go bust - same applies to any other town.

I would love portmouth to go bust and end up non-league though - that would be ideal.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})