Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

That's when things will really get interesting.

When they get relegated next May they are financially wiped out. The endless stream of loans and debts will be overwhelming and a mad scramble will doubtless ensue from creditors for funds that simply don't exist.

No one on the planet (this or any other one) would buy into that mess. They are starting to make Rupert Lowe look like a financial wizard. Even the parachute payments will no doubt be grabbed by someone.

Under this scenario a winding up order seems highly likely, and thus goodbye skates. However, if they go into admin can their mountain of debt simply be wiped with some small payment and then they carry on (for what passes for them) as normal?

Is this what Storrie and/or others are waiting for? Pointless to take on the debt, but someone (probably Harry.. well it is his spiritual home!) will be in for it as a debt free enterprise, picked up for a pittance.

Can't see the creditors being too happy at that, but critically it may all depend on what all those loans are secured against. If they lose the cowshed and the land around it then it's pretty much all over for them, unless they do a deal to ground share with H+W, of course. At least West Leigh Park will easily be able to accommodate their expected crowds... ;)

From what I have read, I think that much of their debt is related to transfer fees, agents fees, back taxes etc. With us, the biggest debt was the Stadium, and then the Bank Overdraft of 4 mil.

From what I remember of the great admin debate, in any administration, the League hold onto to "The Golden Share" or similar wording and basically in order to renew the licence to play football, then the Footballing debts have to be paid in full.

Now, if most of their debts are related to football and HMRC, I'm not so sure that simply going bust will allow them to reduce that exposure. It would certainly bring to light any "emergency fire sales of assets" as well.

So the interesting question will be how much is the "debt which must be paid no matter what", then "how much will the new club burn in cash flow each month" which will set a price if they are to come out of admin.

May be easier for them to keep trying to buy time and hope for a miracle

They can't afford to go into administration yet - they're now gambling on the price of scrap rising so they can weigh in the ground and have enough to cover Mr Fry's fees.

All those owed for loans, tax and transfers can then fight over the minibus and Hart's company Metro.

They can't afford to go into administration yet - they're now gambling on the price of scrap rising so they can weigh in the ground and have enough to cover Mr Fry's fees.

All those owed for loans, tax and transfers can then fight over the minibus and Hart's company Metro.

This might have to go too!

article-1085467-027607A7000005DC-598_468x299.jpg

Incentive scheme: Portsmouth's David James sits in the three-wheeler that the worst trainer at the club will have to drive home in

article-1085467-02760DA7000005DC-631_468x302.jpg

From what I have read, I think that much of their debt is related to transfer fees, agents fees, back taxes etc. With us, the biggest debt was the Stadium, and then the Bank Overdraft of 4 mil.

From what I remember of the great admin debate, in any administration, the League hold onto to "The Golden Share" or similar wording and basically in order to renew the licence to play football, then the Footballing debts have to be paid in full.

Now, if most of their debts are related to football and HMRC, I'm not so sure that simply going bust will allow them to reduce that exposure. It would certainly bring to light any "emergency fire sales of assets" as well.

So the interesting question will be how much is the "debt which must be paid no matter what", then "how much will the new club burn in cash flow each month" which will set a price if they are to come out of admin.

May be easier for them to keep trying to buy time and hope for a miracle

Very good points Phil and probably sums up the rather "delicate" situation that they find themselves in (and only got themselves to blame!).

Clearly then, someone would have to stump up big bucks just to get the golden share back, let alone all other costs and putting a competitive team on the park.

Of course, exactly which park that would be is another issue altogether. As things stand a council pitch at Hilsea Rec seems a likely option!

With all their "creative" loans you must assume that someone will have a lien over the cowshed and the surrounding land and these will need to be handed over as part of any settlement.

What would that leave for any new (genuine) owner to actually purchase? It's really hard to see them coming out of this at all, I mean we nearly didn't make it and as Phil says our situation was actually quite good for a buyer to exit from admin.

It's just my opinion, but I don't perceive much enthusiasm from those that count for the long term viability of the club. Certainly there may still be monies to be made out of all this by any interested parties, but what then will be left behind at the end of the day and would that have any value to yet another prospective new owner ...?

I did a "corporate" walk around there about 12 years ago or so (I was working for a firm in Pompy).

It was a normal (if low rent) walk around the stadium and inner workings routine until we got to the security department.

After a quick run through of what he could see through the CCTV cameras and how they kept a general security eye on things, the security supremo closed off his part of the tour with a classic, "yep, I watch everything, except for that crap on the pitch - I follow the team up the road (!)"

(True)

I did a "corporate" walk around there about 12 years ago or so (I was working for a firm in Pompy).

It was a normal (if low rent) walk around the stadium and inner workings routine until we got to the security department.

After a quick run through of what he could see through the CCTV cameras and how they kept a general security eye on things, the security supremo closed off his part of the tour with a classic, "yep, I watch everything, except for that crap on the pitch - I follow the team up the road (!)"

(True)

I would do the tour just for that, great.:o

You heard it first here. They have hatched a plan to bring in much needed revenue.

$50 for that exciting tour. What a bargain. All they need are 2 million suckers, and their debts are cleared.

Sorted. :smt082

Here's an amusing possibility. P*mp*y go into administration at Christmas. After many fruitless months Fry (their administrator) gives up looking for a buyer (the only bidders, a Lynham/Fialka/Jackson consortium, comes up £999,999,998.50 short of the £100,000,000 needed to pay off the debts). The club is wound up, and drops to the blue square.

Meanwhile, Saints just fail to make the playoffs, finishing a very respectable 7th. Just as they are preparing for the summer holidays, the football league decides that, to make up for only 2 PL teams dropping into the CCC, it will promote an extra team from the conference, L2 and L1. So the top 3 teams get automatic promotion from L1, and the playoffs go to the teams finishing 4th to 7th. So Saints qualify for the playoffs thanks to P*mp*y's demise, and go on to handsomely win the playoff semi, and also the final at Wembley.

AP is interviewed and says things couldn't be better. But he's wrong. The FA decide, since P*mp*y no longer exists as a football league club, to use SMS as a World Cup venue, provided Saints extends its capacity to 48,000. ML readily agrees, and construction starts immediately.

ML is interviewed and says things couldn't be better. But he's wrong. Portsmouth council condemn a rat-infested unused Krapp Notarf, stripped of anything of remaining value by previous owners before they did a runner, as a serious health hazard. Liebherr Construction wins the bid to bulldoze it and build council flats on top of it.

Well, I can dream can't I?

$50 for that exciting tour. What a bargain. All they need are 2 million suckers, and their debts are cleared.

Here's an amusing possibility. P*mp*y go into administration at Christmas. After many fruitless months Fry (their administrator) gives up looking for a buyer (the only bidders, a Lynham/Fialka/Jackson consortium, comes up £999,999,998.50 short of the £100,000,000 needed to pay off the debts). The club is wound up, and drops to the blue square.

Meanwhile, Saints just fail to make the playoffs, finishing a very respectable 7th. Just as they are preparing for the summer holidays, the football league decides that, to make up for only 2 PL teams dropping into the CCC, it will promote an extra team from the conference, L2 and L1. So the top 3 teams get automatic promotion from L1, and the playoffs go to the teams finishing 4th to 7th. So Saints qualify for the playoffs thanks to P*mp*y's demise, and go on to handsomely win the playoff semi, and also the final at Wembley.

AP is interviewed and says things couldn't be better. But he's wrong. The FA decide, since P*mp*y no longer exists as a football league club, to use SMS as a World Cup venue, provided Saints extends its capacity to 48,000. ML readily agrees, and construction starts immediately.

ML is interviewed and says things couldn't be better. But he's wrong. Portsmouth council condemn a rat-infested unused Krapp Notarf, stripped of anything of remaining value by previous owners before they did a runner, as a serious health hazard. Liebherr Construction wins the bid to bulldoze it and build council flats on top of it.

A "Lynham/Fialka/Jackson consortium" taking over Poopey? My God the thought of that is just so mouth watering!

Hold on to that dream!

I don't expect much of a turnout for the Legends Tour, as it clashes with the Stoke Away game, and I am sure that the Skates will take 15,000 away fans to Stoke. At least that's what they used to tell us when they where in Div 2, and we weren't selling our full allocoation at Bolton.

Dr Al's lastest quote:

“They want me to play a wider role in developing the club, so it is something I am considering. I have always said I will be interested in increasing my shareholding because I believe in the future of the club, so will see."

WTF?! He's only just sold 90% becuase he didn't hav any money and the group he was selling to supposedly did.

Also refinancing based (yet again) on future tv revenue isn't going to help in anything other than the short term (i.e. during the course of December).

tick tock.

Ray Crawford's a nice bloke, and he was playing local league football way after he retired from the pro game.

As for Al Fahim, good to see they are allowing him to make press statements again, I was worried that they had got him under control and his special brand of humour was going to be a thing of the past.

Go on, tell us the one about the big Hydra bonus, or another loan....Maradona as coach? New stadium?

Great to have him back.

Ray Crawford's a nice bloke, and he was playing local league football way after he retired from the pro game.

As for Al Fahim, good to see they are allowing him to make press statements again, I was worried that they had got him under control and his special brand of humour was going to be a thing of the past.

Go on, tell us the one about the big Hydra bonus, or another loan....Maradona as coach? New stadium?

Great to have him back.

Fahim must never be allowed to leave Pompey.

Heard an "interesting" little rumour on Paul Hart from a pretty good source yesterday but libel laws prevent me from adding anything further. :)

bottom of the table, Storrie bailed for tax evasion, no income, ground blown over at the weekend, dwindling crowds, irate taxman at the door, more loans added to increase the debt, a gobby fantasist chairman, an absent disinterested broke businessmen at the helm, wages due soon and no money down the back of the sofa.....

please FF, don't tell me there's something even funnier/more damaging to be revealed?

bottom of the table, Storrie bailed for tax evasion, no income, ground blown over at the weekend, dwindling crowds, irate taxman at the door, more loans added to increase the debt, a gobby fantasist chairman, an absent disinterested broke businessmen at the helm, wages due soon and no money down the back of the sofa.....

please FF, don't tell me there's something even funnier/more damaging to be revealed?

all in good time grass hopper, if its true, all will be revealed but probably not on here!!

they did have good news, you missed it or have chosen to ignore it -

they didn't lose at the weekend and stayed in touch at the bottom, no one was arrested for financial irregularities or for taken them to the brink of bankruptcy, and no loans were taken out or called in - that's a good news weekend down there so don't be so nasty to them.

they did have good news, you missed it or have chosen to ignore it -

they didn't lose at the weekend and stayed in touch at the bottom, no one was arrested for financial irregularities or for taken them to the brink of bankruptcy, and no loans were taken out or called in - that's a good news weekend down there so don't be so nasty to them.

Erm...

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/573543-pompey-secure-new-finance-from-bankers

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})