Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

latest rumour I just heard this evening from a member of the few (who I see socially every few weeks!) - the Russians agreed a price of £12M for the club.

Amount still owed - £12M.

Therefore, man still in control of all things pompey - Chanrai.

I accept no responsibility for the credibility of this rumour, as it originates from the spiritual home of the urban myth it is buyer beware.

But quite damning if true, so lets run with it!:)

It might explain the lack of investment, just try to cover the overheads and worry about the sale price and CVA another day...

remind me again what the potential consequences to PFC are if these chumps get found guilty?

IF they're found guilty, it depends on how linked to the club the dealings were. Worst case scenario for them is probably a ten point deduction.

I have to say, I'm beginning to wonder why it's taking so long for them to find a manager. There seem to have been plenty of candidates linked with them. Have they all turned down the club because of the finances?

Sorry Chez, mandy and arry mean nothing.....whatever the outcome. The only one that could have any negative consequence was story teller

What is happening with the forensic investigation of their accounts? Surely it is conceivable that if something is turned up there where Storrie-teller was implicated, there could still be a deduction? Frankly, I'm amazed that it hasn't been proven that they had been trading while insolvent at one stage.

sorry Matt but signing a few old journeymen on delayed payments and fixing a toilet flush isn't investment - signing some good players and launching a realistic design for a new stadium that doesn't involve the £100M compulsory purchase of dockyard and waterfront and a promo still from Blade Runner would be investment.

In the summer they just spent the club income, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that there is an injection of fresh money (not more loans) to put the club back on track.

And I take it no one wants to take the job until Cotterill and Forest have been and gone - imagine starting with a 3-0 home defeat to the bloke who took them to obscurity?

Then again if pompey win I guess it will be despite Forest being the better side and the ref letting them down etc...could be confusing.

What is happening with the forensic investigation of their accounts? Surely it is conceivable that if something is turned up there where Storrie-teller was implicated, there could still be a deduction? Frankly, I'm amazed that it hasn't been proven that they had been trading while insolvent at one stage.

I'm sure that would be quite easy if anyone was bothered to look. But remember football clubs are treated differently to normal companies. Any normal company would have been wound up months ago.

Another deluded fool.

Coppell as DOF, Appleton the Manager?

Could this be the dream ticket that we have been looking for, IMO if Coppell called for the appointment of Appleton then It sounds like it would work really well. Out of all the scenarios we have heard this would get my juices going and hopefully will be a winning combination. The partnership gives Coppell someone to lean on for support and MA gets experience and advice, Premiership here we come if true! CSI what geniuses you are.

Another deluded fool.

Could this be the dream ticket that we have been looking for, IMO if Coppell called for the appointment of Appleton then It sounds like it would work really well. Out of all the scenarios we have heard this would get my juices going and hopefully will be a winning combination. The partnership gives Coppell someone to lean on for support and MA gets experience and advice, Premiership here we come if true! CSI what geniuses you are.

Coming from the mob who used to idolise the Storrieteller (remember the chants "there's only one Peter Storrie"?) this could also be a sign of their legendary fine judgement !

That wouldn't be in the same depths of hilarity of George Burley but that would be a top drawer appointment. He'd be completely out of his depth

It does beg the question of how many good coaches have gone on to be a good manager?

We know from our experience of Gray & Wigley, both were very good coaches, have really failed as a manager. McClaren has been a bit more succesful but is hardly a glowing tribute. If, and it's a massive if, they were to bring in Appleton with Coppell as a DOF to give him some support, that would be interesting combination. However, can't see that happening and Appleton on his own would probably be doomed to failure - Pompey with no money is tough first gig.

Another deluded fool.

Crazy, a few days ago he wouldn't have had a clue who Appleton is. Now he think's he's the messiah.

latest rumour I just heard this evening from a member of the few (who I see socially every few weeks!) - the Russians agreed a price of £12M for the club.

Amount still owed - £12M.

Therefore, man still in control of all things pompey - Chanrai.

That is why his company, Portpin Ltd, still have a Debenture on the Land and other assets according to the Companies Registry.

Fresh from Twitter:

davekidd_people Dave Kidd

Pompey must be skint. They wanted to appoint Steve Coppell to replace Steve Cotterill, so they could save on lettering for the office door

Not to mention having the initials so they can use the training kit.

That wouldn't be in the same depths of hilarity of George Burley but that would be a top drawer appointment. He'd be completely out of his depth

To be fair I am sure someone said that about a certain Physio at some point, and also a translater as well and look what those two are doing. One is managing the greatest club the world has ever seen and the other is at real madrid

It does beg the question of how many good coaches have gone on to be a good manager?

We know from our experience of Gray & Wigley, both were very good coaches, have really failed as a manager. McClaren has been a bit more succesful but is hardly a glowing tribute. If, and it's a massive if, they were to bring in Appleton with Coppell as a DOF to give him some support, that would be interesting combination. However, can't see that happening and Appleton on his own would probably be doomed to failure - Pompey with no money is tough first gig.

Appleton managing Pompey would be like Les Reed managing Charlton.

As for Coppell he stated a while back he's permanently retired from football management because he lost interest in it, and I suspect at his age he's probably thinking about his health.

He has supposedly expressed interest in managing the Icelandic national team although that's international football with a side where he wouldn't be under a lot of pressure relatively speaking. In terms of managing in a domestic league week-in week-out I strobgly suspect those days are behind him.

Loads have. Mourinho and AVB were coaches. I'm sure if a list of a few hundred coaches who'd become managers was put out there we'd see a fairly high success rate. It seems odd that so often the jobs go to former players with little or no coaching experience. I'm glad with have Adkins, whose been a coach and physio so knows the roles and has a wide skills set.

I'm sure Appleton may well fail if he got the job, but not because he's a coach, simply because a huge number of managers do fail. And let's be honest, the state of that club, there's a good chance whoever comes in will fail.

It very much depends on the type of bloke whether he will go on to be a great manager. Mourinho, AVB & many others were 'managers-in-waiting', waiting for the break, but always destined to be top man. Others like Phil Neal were good second-in-commands, good for helping, supporting but never leading - possibly Dean's role with us. Or you have the Seargeant-Major types - Pearce as a prime example, or Crosby with us, who are the boss's enforcer, but again never the boss. I have no idea which category Appleton falls into (though his appearance suggest the latter!), but that is why some coaches go on to be great managers and some fail, and some know their limitations and never try.

That is why his company, Portpin Ltd, still have a Debenture on the Land and other assets according to the Companies Registry.

Now that's odd, because I'm sure the Corpse and the other retards stated on here that that debenture was just a glitch in the paperwork and the companies register was just a bit slow in being updated.....

Not quite. What actually happened was that, many years ago, some of the brighter (a relative term here, of course) ones among the P*mpey faithful noticed that the hands of the clock magically moved - they knew not why, but they noted the differing positions at the start and end of matches. Naturally enough, this phenomenon caused the clock to become a talismanic idol to the blue-clad faithful huddled together on the terraces; as the years passed, they began to worship it as a deity, even using the sound of its hourly striking as a hymn. As a special act of reverence, their high priest carries a bell to every match and rings it incessantly.

Now, though, there is consternation, as the faithful have witnessed the apparent demise of their god. Many, it seems, have deserted their faith for good, preferring to prostrate themselves in front of the vast liners heading out past their island; others await the clock's resurrection, certain that when it happens they will return in their droves to Nottarf, and their high priest will lead them in the glorious journey to their ultimate destination, a place of legend known to the faithful as Blue Square South.

you can hear the clock tick on matchdays

Looking more and more likely that it'll be Voldemort that's taking the reins at Pompey then.

Could work, could be another Tony Adams. A relegation battle in the most competitive league in the world isn't the best environment to start a manager's career though.

3107.0 Leeds

3075.7 West Ham

2603.7 Leicester

2050.9 Southampton

1950.6 Crystal Palace

1820.6 Brighton

1760.7 Middlesbrough

1696.5 Birmingham

1674.7 Derby

1440.8 Nottingham Forest

1380.5 Hull

1375.8 Blackpool

1260.5 Ipswich

1077.8 Peterborough

1055.8 Reading

1004.6 Millwall

972.3 Portsmouth

912.5 Burnley

861.8 Doncaster

773.7 Watford

770.8 Cardiff

758.8 Barnsley

648.1 Coventry

489.8 Bristol

Away fans average at the end of October.

Best fans in the world remember.

Based on this the Forrest support would have taken 1400 off of their 14.2k attendance today. Even with Clotterill cast as the pantomime villan they couldn't attract a half decent crowd. Still, they'll pack out their new stadium - massive club.

He actually looks like the offspring of the current owners.

If he doesn't get the manager's job, he might instead get an offer for some other line of work from Roman and Vlad. Something that involves concrete boots, or horses' heads, for example. If I were Lampitt I may be getting a little nervous.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})