The Official Summer Transfers and HCDAJFU Thread

supersonic

People keep telling me there are rumours of Michael Owen! Bizarre.

Because he was seen down the De Vere thats all.

I dont buy it myself and I certainly dont want it because I will question his fitness and his will to play footy and not want to be closer to Channon for the gee gee's.

I keep seeing mental comments from people sayign that if we don't sign anyone, then ''that's us in L1 until 2012 at least''. ''we're not good enough to get promoted''

Really? why? the only signing we'd make that would go straight into the side is a RB - the rest of our signings would be as cover which can be made at any point over the season.

2/3 signings should see us done. RB - CM - maybe a ST, other than that we don't want to upset the boat too much.

Just because we're owned by a billionaire people seem to be stamping their feet as we're not signing lots of players for millions. The reality is that the majority of our squad is already too good for this league.

Why change something that isn't broken?

People keep telling me there are rumours of Michael Owen! Bizarre.

Tis a load of balls. He spoke up recently saying he was ready to lead England's front line again if needed - he wouldn't sacrifice what slim chances he has of doing that by joining a League One club. (If it does happen, you may slap me about with half a cucumber.)

Tis a load of balls. He spoke up recently saying he was ready to lead England's front line again if needed - he wouldn't sacrifice what slim chances he has of doing that by joining a League One club. (If it does happen, you may slap me about with half a cucumber.)

No thanks ..... you enjoyed it too much last time ........

News from the insider:

- Possible move for Lee Hendrie ?

- Adu wanted 20k a week , Cortese was having none of it.

- Calderon wanted to be the highest paid player - again no chance.

- Liverpool interested in Schneiderlin with Shelvey on loan coming to us .

- Pardew's budget for transfers is £5-6 million

- We will go for loan deals if deals for the 4 players we are talking to ATM (RB, centre mid, cover out wide and 4th striker) fall through.

Sorry if any of the above have been mentioned before- been away for a week.

Interesting from Saint_lambden.

My view on this:

News from the insider:

- Possible move for Lee Hendrie ? -not sure on that,he didn't he go to Brighton on loan? If so I don't recall him setting the division alight -

Adu wanted 20k a week , Cortese was having none of it. - well done Cortese

- Calderon wanted to be the highest paid player - again no chance. - again,well done NC

- Liverpool interested in Schneiderlin with Shelvey on loan coming to us - rather keep Morgan

- Pardew's budget for transfers is £5-6 million - if spent wisely that should see us romp the league

- We will go for loan deals if deals for the 4 players we are talking to ATM (RB, centre mid, cover out wide and 4th striker) fall through.- 4 players,still possibly an exciting pre-season

Sorry if any of the above have been mentioned before- been away for a week.- not good enough,next time go somewhere with a good wi-fi link

News from the insider:

- We will go for loan deals if deals for the 4 players we are talking to ATM (RB, centre mid, cover out wide and 4th striker) fall through.

thanks for that...I know rumour etc gets dismissed..but will be interesting to see how it all pans out

News from the insider:

Is your source this........http://www.the1976.webs.com/ ?!?!?!?

Read on 606 earlier that we have 2 trialists in the squad for the XI games against Farnborough, Basingstoke and Eastleigh/Winchester (I can't remember which one it is). One is apparently contracted to a club but has been given permission to go on trial with us and the other is apparently a free agent. Interesting note: there is only one recognised striker in the 18 players named by the Saints coaches for the games, so we could expect to see 2 strikers being put through their paces.

Read on 606 earlier that we have 2 trialists in the squad for the XI games against Farnborough, Basingstoke and Eastleigh/Winchester (I can't remember which one it is). One is apparently contracted to a club but has been given permission to go on trial with us and the other is apparently a free agent. Interesting note: there is only one recognised striker in the 18 players named by the Saints coaches for the games, so we could expect to see 2 strikers being put through their paces.

Will be strange seeing Owen playing at the likes of Farnborough and Basingstoke

Where the heck did that crazy rumour spring from Trousers? Anyway - Owen or Connelly? Both?!?

Well given Owen isn't even fit yet I'm assuming it was a joke even if there is NO chance anyway. He'll be lucky to be fully fit by August and then his stated aim is to play for England again !

Saints NOT mentioned in the article below. Does this mean that we ARE in the hunt?

"Gillingham striker Simeon Jackson could soon be on his way out of Priestfield if the events of the last week are anything to go by. Jackson was coy on his future when quizzed about his situation during a corporate event at the club last week.

Norwich City, Peterborough United, Plymouth Argyle, Millwall and Queens Park Rangers are all rumoured to be interested in Jackson, who has scored 42 goals from 98 starts for the Kent club to date.

And chairman Paul Scally has confirmed the club had received a number of offers for the Canadian international, though none had met the club’s valuation of the player.

Jackson’s contract with the club expires at the end of the 2010-2011 season and he is not expected to sign a new deal, meaning Gillingham would have to sell him this season in order to make a profit from Jackson, who arrived from Rushden & Diamonds for £150,000 back in January 2008.

The longer Gillingham hang on to Jackson, and the closer he gets to the end of his contract, the lower his transfer price is likely to be, and Gills365 understands the club will look to sell Jackson before the season kicks off in order to achieve the best possible price and to give new manager Andy Hessenthaler time and funds to bring in a suitable replacement.

Well given Owen isn't even fit yet I'm assuming it was a joke even if there is NO chance anyway. He'll be lucky to be fully fit by August and then his stated aim is to play for England again !

Perhaps Saints could offer him the medical and recuperation facilities he needs and in turn he could help Saints back to the Prem? Let's face it, Connolly is here still and he must be getting near to fitness where he could ply his trade at a higher level now.

IMO Owen doesn't have a hope in hell of getting back near the England squad now - he's a yesterday man as Capello will be turning to younger players to bring through ready for the Euro's.

Alpine won't be the only one.

why? If those loans are players better than we haev at the club that can only be a good thing. I'd happily take the likes of Logan and Antonio on season long loans.

why? If those loans are players better than we haev at the club that can only be a good thing. I'd happily take the likes of Logan and Antonio on season long loans.

and go through the "will he - won't he" again at the end of next season as we're doing now about Antonio/Papa?

A good loan player will keep a permanent player out of the team. Think long term and build for the future.

Loans should be a short-term solution to an injury or lengthy suspension. They shouldn't be a part of your primary squad.

There's a post on the other transfer thread indicating that the striker is a "massive" signing. Any indication from your source who the 4 might be? Are any of them stellar signings or 'just' better than we already have?

Lee Trundle is in talks but I'm not sure that he is the "massive" signing TBH.

Loans should be a short-term solution to an injury or lengthy suspension. They shouldn't be a part of your primary squad.

don't agree with that. The Antonio year long loan deal worked out brilliant for us. We got a terrific player for a whole season. I'd much rather have a top player for a season then an average one for three. Take Molyneaux for example. A season long loan deal with a view to a permenent move would have made much more sense. Instead we eneded up playing him for 2.5 years for 2 games work. Edited by Chez

Lee Trundle is in talks but I'm not sure that he is the "massive" signing TBH.

Always struck me as a good quality player at this level and similar in style to Lambert (great feet for a big man). Perfect as competition or back up to Lambert.

The only thing more stupid than people thinking we have any chance of signing Michael Owen, is that some people would apparently NOT want him to come here! This is League 1 ffs. He's what, 30? Brilliant finisher and still capable at the top level, but no thanks, we have Lee Barnard.

I made no mention re Lee Barnard ..... and YOU did not even consider the "divided dressing room" bit, It is THAT, more than Owen being a fading star,

that would worry me most

Come on guys, look i know its Owen but the guy is finished. There is no way he would come here, i would not even like if he did.

He is a one dimensional striker who used to play off the shoulder and use his pace, which he no longer has and desire which he also no longer has. Best if he retired before he dents his image further.

I would be far happier to take a risk on a younger, faster, more hungry player.

I could name 4 strikers available i would rather have right now

McClean (Peterborough) - ran rings around us 2 years ago

Scotland (Wigan) - muscular quick striker

Jackson (Gills) - quick striker to give us another option

Austin (Swindon) - cracking all round player who would be an excellent addition

Clark he is pretty quick, certainly quicker than Ricky and would be a cracking signing. His goal record at League 1 and champ suggest that.

As for the troublesome centre midfield holding position, what about Amdy Faye on a free????? surely he would be perfect, strong, experienced and i think he would come

Clark he is pretty quick, certainly quicker than Ricky and would be a cracking signing. His goal record at League 1 and champ suggest that.

As for the troublesome centre midfield holding position, what about Amdy Faye on a free????? surely he would be perfect, strong, experienced and i think he would come

Yeah Scotland has a decent record in the lower leagues, however your argument is kinda ruined by you saying no to Michael Owen, who has an outstanding record at the highest levels of club and international football.

Well clark if you think paying ridicolous wages for a crocked over age player is a good thing, you are sadly wrong.

My argument is in no way ruined, i would rather have Scotland every day of the week than Owen.

The idea of paying him £25k a week would make me sick, give me an Antonio for a fraction of the wage any day.

Your point is ruined by the fact that this is pie in the sky and we would never be stupid enough to sign Owen

if only we'd got promoted we'd have signed Inigo Calderon, Nicky Bailey, Andrew Surman - and probably Simeon Jacskon, Albert Adomah and Antonio as welll by now!!!!

I guess we will all have to just wait and see what happens whilst silly season plays itself out!

Unless we are offering a lot more money most player's are going to take up the offer of a contract from a CCC club over a League 1 club any day of the week - sorry!