Fixtures out on Monday...

skintsaint

I'm going back to the old school nailed on fixtures of a combination of either Chelsea/ Spurs/ Arsenal on both opening day and boxing day.

My earliest memories of opening games in the late 80's always seemed to involved Chelsea (the only all ticket game at the time I think) and Spurs (including the game where Rod Wallace banged an early goal in the Archers that I saw from my view point at the back of the top tier of the Milton - happy days).

You can't out-god god.

What's the difference between Matthew Le God and God? Matthew Le God thinks he's God, whereas God knows he's God! (Sorry MLG, nothing personal - just adapting an old 'Yes Minister' joke!)

Man City at home

p.s What is the point? You have a one in thirty eight chance of randomly guessing.

Actually a one in thirty six, we won't be playing Reading in the opening match as we'll be twinned with their fixtures and you can't play "derby" matches in the first or last matches of the season (or on bank holidays).

There's no guarantees regarding home or away games either, we weren't in this division last season so it's unlikely it'll be taken into consideration and teams often have 2 homes or 2 aways in a row even when it is.

Actually a one in thirty six, we won't be playing Reading in the opening match as we'll be twinned with their fixtures and you can't play "derby" matches in the first or last matches of the season (or on bank holidays).

There's no guarantees regarding home or away games either, we weren't in this division last season so it's unlikely it'll be taken into consideration and teams often have 2 homes or 2 aways in a row even when it is.

Why would we be twinned with Reading?

Eh?

You seem to be confusing Reading with a city that is anywhere near us.

Why would we be twinned with Reading?

We might not be, it just seems likely.

Looking at it in a little more detail it's possible that we could actually be twinned with Swansea (!), with Fulham/Chelsea and Reading/QPR... so maybe we might play Reading first match after all. We won't know until the fixtures are out, I guess, and one other team is always home when we're away and away when we're home.

Eh?

You seem to be confusing Reading with a city that is anywhere near us.

It's all in here - pairing clubs can affect loads of teams. Though we'd logically be paired with the Skates, and have a different police force to Reading, usually the nearest clubs in the same division are linked by default because they get batched together on the rounds of fixtures where everyone else plays derbies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletcher/2009/06/secrets_of_the_fixture_compute.html

The top teams always seem to get a home banker first up.

Will we be seen as that banker?

I'm going for one of last seasons top 4 away..

As Man City and Man Utd are the top 2 and don't both play at home on the same weekend, I call shenanigans. I'd also be willing to bet that none of the top 4 have had a disproportionate number of home games to start over the last 10 seasons (probably no more than 6/10 homes, and it's likely to even out over the 4 teams).

Oh balls, now I'm going to have to look it up.

Arsenal 6 homes, 4 aways, away the last 3 seasons.

11/12 Newcastle (A)

10/11 Liverpool (A)

09/10 Everton (A)

08/09 WBA (H)

07/08 Fulham (H)

06/07 A Villa (H)

05/06 Newcastle (H)

04/05 Everton (A)

03/04 Everton (H)

02/03 Birmingham (H)

Chelsea 6 homes, 4 aways (including a run of 5 homes in a row before last season - you may have a point here, especially 2006-2009, but then the Skates weren't fodder that season)

11/12 Stoke (A)

10/11 WBA (H)

09/10 Hull (H)

08/09 Portsmouth (H)

07/08 Birmingham (H)

06/07 Man City (H)

05/06 Wigan (A)

04/05 Man U (H)

03/04 Liverpool (A)

02/03 Charlton (A)

Man Utd

Ah b0llocks to it.