Dave Merrington

Miltonroader07

I would suggest that perhaps Dave Merrington knows a great deal more about football than you

Maybe we should all stop having opinions and close the forum? No, actually I don't think he knows more than me. His knowledge stopped developing when we all played with two strikers some 20 years ago. Good luck with your hero worship!

Dave Merrington just ****es me off. I can't stand listening to him on the radio, he contributes nothing and sits there on his pedestal as if he was some top draw manager.

He contributes nothing. He's out-dated, ill-informed and irritating. Why does he always whisper? YOU ARE ON THE RADIO!!!

"What Saints don't want to do now is concede" - WHEN DO WE EVER WANT TO CONCEDE?!

He's an old fuddy-duddy who has lost touch with the times, as said - he contributes absolutely nothing to the commentary or radio experience.

Why is he there? Is it imperative to have a 'blast from the past' who is boring, irritating and out of touch co-commentating these days.

Solent's budget must have been seriously pushed when they got Dave in.

Merrington out.

• 8 years later...
9 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Don't know, but it's clear Tessem has been being lined up as a replacement 

I like Tessem actually, will be sad when DM calls it a day, but I think this would be a decent replacement if it turns out to be the case!

Edited by CJ_SAINT
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Is it wrong that I find his accent a bit irritating? Sort of a major thing for a radio show. 

Bit high, and he agrees with whatever Blackmore days, like last weekend when Blackmore said a red, Tessem said yes I think it's definitely a red, then when Blackmore mentioned a possible soft touch yellow, Tessem said yes I think it's a definite yellow.

Put me off him straight away.

Bring back Merrington

2 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Not wrong, you have no control over that one,  but I like it, I admire him generally. 

Yes I, have nothing against him at all. I just think his speech isn't as clear as I'd like (TBF Merrington has that issue too!) and that momentary period where I have to think about what he's said takes me out of the moment. 

On 21/09/2021 at 21:16, Lord Duckhunter said:

Blackmore needs to go as well. 

imo Blackmore is a very good commentator and listening/watching to some of the commentary added to images he really does do good stuff. 

Just playback his commentary linked to the Liverpool semi final when Long scores, its magnificent

5 hours ago, rooney said:

I like the boy, Adam.

Dave Merrington must now be rivalling Eve for the most times anyone has said the word Adam. He says it at the end of every sentence. It has become such a habit that his wife has probably had to get used to being called Adam too. He'd never be able to go back into management as the players would get confused by all being called Adam.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

imo Blackmore is a very good commentator and listening/watching to some of the commentary added to images he really does do good stuff. 

Just playback his commentary linked to the Liverpool semi final when Long scores, its magnificent

Yeah tbf i rate blackmore. I like DM as well over the years and listen to his oppinions, but i do find he can turn quite negative quite quickly. Hard to tell if thats because he's having a bit of an old man's grump at times, or whether its the old school football man in him calling it how it is.

Loving a bit of Jo Tessem for the cup games though. Always liked him when he was at the club and its nice to have a few more of that generation of players around and about the club.

A few years ago I was having a cup of tea in a cafe when this really loud and irritating voice started to distract me.  It was Adam Blackmore and his "normal" voice is really bloody loud - wouldn't be surprised if the BBC were saving money on microphones whilst they're employing him.  Anyway, I still like him as a commentator and DM is good in the same way Murray Walker was - not the best commentator but a bit of an institution.  Only heard Tessem recently - it's an odd voice for radio but from the small bits I heard didn't drop into too many boring cliches.  Hopefully he'll do well as he gets a bit more experience.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OldNick said:

Yes, i quite enjoy listening to Blackmore. Not that keen on Tessam though, maybe just need to get used to him.

8 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

Dave Merrington must now be rivalling Eve for the most times anyone has said the word Adam. He says it at the end of every sentence. It has become such a habit that his wife has probably had to get used to being called Adam too. He'd never be able to go back into management as the players would get confused by all being called Adam.

I'll miss the "what we don't want to do now Adam, is let in a goal" .

A football Nostradamus.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OldNick said:

Agreed, although contrary to your subsequent post I think Blackmore and Merrington are very good by the standards of local radio, and I cannot fathom how people tolerate the bias and yelping on any other channel. The other South Coast commentary is much lower standard, and that seems to be the case across the board.

Case in point - the commentary of Le Tissier chipping Schmeichel in the 6-3 sticks in my mind, "Oooh and he chips... Schmeichel and THAT...! is a sublime piece of skill by one of the most skilful players in the Premiership." Like Alan Partridge on tranquilisers. I assume it was a Skate on commentary that day.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JRM said:

What's happened to Merrington? 

I wonder if he's sick, he wouldnt still be on holiday. If he is ill and they arent saying to give him and his family some privacy thats fair enough. Obviously I hope he is fighting fit but it all seems very odd if he is.

46 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I wonder if he's sick, he wouldnt still be on holiday. If he is ill and they arent saying to give him and his family some privacy thats fair enough. Obviously I hope he is fighting fit but it all seems very odd if he is.

I suggested that and yeah lol

On 23/09/2021 at 08:13, Charlie Wayman said:

Why do we need two of these people to describe a match in front of them? Save money for Beeb if just Blackmore.

It's a traditional sports set-up: one provides the play-by-play description; the other does "colour" commentary, with summarizing comments and a focus on strategy and opinion. It works well,

4 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

Blackmore tweeted that he is on hols, back (commentating) after the International break

• Like 2

22 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Blackmore tweeted that he is on hols, back (commentating) after the International break

Fair play , nice long holiday, probably on a cruise stood behind the captain saying what you don't want to do now is hit an iceberg 

• Haha 6

11 minutes ago, JRM said:

Fair play , nice long holiday, probably on a cruise stood behind the captain saying what you don't want to do now is hit an iceberg 

Wye aye captain, ya just not set up reet , now listen ‘ere ere mon, what you autagh  be doin is….

• Like 1