Saints v Skates, F.A. Youth Cup Third Round, Match Thread FULL TIME 7-0!

Colinjb

Our U18s could probably beat Pompey's first team actually, Pompey are a non-entity who should have ceased to exist long before now. It is absolute ridiculous that an erstwhile PL status obtained with money that they never had has guaranteed their continuing existence to build up more debt and rip more people off. Courts should have been firm with them, taken the PPs and paid back more to former creditors with them. A travesty of justice.

Perhaps but there's nothing like beating them on terms that they would understand and accept.

And there's the key point - they have gone back to their 1930s bubble again so unless we win the Premier League, even if we'd drawn them this year in the FA Cup and won 10-0, they'd always bring out the old 'we won the league 100 years ago' etc.

Pathetic as you don't see PNE, Blackpool or Huddersfield harping on about that the whole time, the only other club that hark back to the very distant past as obsessively are Wolves but they are light years ahead of the skates in every way, if only a division at present (but not for long). Imagine being burdened by a history your club can never live up to? At least Forest and Derby get 25k gates and could get back into the top flight and make an impact. Highly unlikely the skates would ever do that for at least 25 years.

''And like I said to the lads, that's like our first team at the moment going to Man City and trying to get a result. That's the difference, that's the different level we're at''

Or, that's like your first team going to St Mary's and trying to get a result against Saints first team you mean! That's the difference in class ;)

Accrington Stanley 2-1 West Ham?

What's happened to the fabled football academy that Redknapp always trumpeted, as in; "I brought Joe Cole, Rio Ferdinand, etc, etc blah, blah through."

Do West Ham still class themselves as "The academy of football"? About time we took the nickname if you ask me.

Poor old Awfs in that video. You have to feel a little sorry for him. It's like taking a kid from a sink estate on a tour of Buckingham Palace and telling him; "Have a good look, but know that you will never have any of this."

In fairness to him, when his side got dicked, it brought home to him the difference between the two academies, one being Eton College and the other an Ofsted failure comprehensive.

Was it just me or did the Saints youngsters on the goals video seem stronger and faster? At that age you probably would not expect there to be much in the way of physical difference but all the Saints youngster appeared to have, and be able to do things, at pace.

And another comparison. Compare Whatmough, who is an academy product in their first-team squad, with the academy products who are in Saints first-team squad - and Whatmough used to be on Saints books.

Saints youngsters clearly benefit from training at excellent, state-of-the-art facilities - which are due to get better in the new year - and being nurtured under experts in diet, nutrition, conditioning, etc, compared to the lads from football's Dotheboys Hall, who have to scrape the dog crap off their pitch before being able to use it, and are fed on gruel.

Still, they only have themselves to blame and 'Arry to thank for that. When they were in the top flight and in the position where they could have invested in the long-term future of the playing staff by funding the academy, 'Arry took his customary short-term view and spunked it all on the likes of Sol Campbell et al.

"They invest a lot of money in their academy here," said Awfs.

Yes, Andy, we do. And you, your poor sod, have just felt the difference.

Was it just me or did the Saints youngsters on the goals video seem stronger and faster?

No, it wasn't just you. That was one of the most stark contrasts on the night.

Well, other than only one team featuring players that have a future in the game.

I know the lad that ran over to the P*mpey fan - nice guy! Just really really hates the Skates..haha.

Hates them so much that he ran over all that way over, walked in to the path of a steward and then turned and walked straight back to the Itchen.

Hates them so much that he ran over all that way over, walked in to the path of a steward and then turned and walked straight back to the Itchen.

Exactly -not to mention the brick wall partition.

And whoever spat at the skate - cheap shot.

Edited by shurlock

No surprise that the police seemed far keener to arrest the Saints fans, than the Skate, despite him instigating it and how far round he'd got. If they'd been doing their job, there would have been no need for any Saints fans to react.

There were no police anywhere near where the bloke bolted from, it was all stewards on the periphery with the police at the exits. To be fair to them, who in their right mind thinks running through 12 empty blocks of seats and clambering over a segregation partition is a good idea? There was literally nothing for them to "prevent", stopping them going on the pitch at 7 (SEVEN) - 0 down was a much higher risk (and one of them did that a few minutes after the final whistle too).

A small part of me thinks fair play to the Pompey fan who at least looked as though he was up for a scrap, compared to the two or three of our lot who went over and then either ran away or spat on him from a distance.

Of course technically they're all idiots, but at least the Pompey fan had some conviction to his idiocy.

A small part of me thinks fair play to the Pompey fan who at least looked as though he was up for a scrap, compared to the two or three of our lot who went over and then either ran away or spat on him from a distance.

Of course technically they're all idiots, but at least the Pompey fan had some conviction to his idiocy.

probably but i suspect the thought of being banned may have come to their mind.By the time they got there the madness for their actions would have focussed.

Just watched the extended highlights on Saints Player (here: http://www.player.saintsfc.co.uk/latest-news/article/3571842/date/20131211155000/page/0/name/highlights--saints-7-0-portsmouth) and, whilst I acknowledge they were playing against a very poor team, some of the individual performances (from Sims and Hesketh in particular) were superb and the way the team played as a whole had all the hallmarks of our 1st team. Excellent stuff.

probably but i suspect the thought of being banned may have come to their mind.By the time they got there the madness for their actions would have focussed.

The bloke who did the spitting was still in his seat when the Skate was already across the segregation, he had plenty of time to think about it.

Just watched the extended highlights on Saints Player (here: http://www.player.saintsfc.co.uk/latest-news/article/3571842/date/20131211155000/page/0/name/highlights--saints-7-0-portsmouth) and, whilst I acknowledge they were playing against a very poor team, some of the individual performances (from Sims and Hesketh in particular) were superb and the way the team played as a whole had all the hallmarks of our 1st team. Excellent stuff.

How many of that 11 do you think will actually make it pro? Not just for us or prem but across all four divisions? History suggests that not many make the grade.

What that video doesn't show is the fact that he ran all the way over and stopped before the segregation, doing a little wavy arm dance thingy before the stewards arrived and THEN he climbed over.

How many of that 11 do you think will actually make it pro? Not just for us or prem but across all four divisions? History suggests that not many make the grade.

I'd wager that Gallagher, Sims, Hesketh, Mason, Flannigan, Debayo, Targett and Leggett will play professionally at some level.