Ramírez and Lambert

John B

I cannot think of a worse signing than Ramírez in the 50 years of supporting the Saints considering his price of three and half Delap's

Where as Rickie is Probably the best along with Alan Ball

I guess you haven't been to many games then.. there are far worse signings than Ramirez.. forget the transfer fee, that's not his fault, but he can deliver more in a minute than some of our midfield can in 90 minutes.

I cannot think of a worse signing than Ramírez in the 50 years of supporting the Saints considering his price of three and half Delap's

OK ...so money had different value in those days, but Delgado was a bit of a let-down - wasn't he?

What is wrong with some people? This season ramirez 5 starts in all competitions 3 goals. Last season 20 games 5 goals 3 assists.

Dont let the stats get in the way of your silly rants though.

Obviously he must be rubbish because hes not been starting?

I really dont think Gaston is as bad as some make out on here. He might not have set the world alight here, but we have seen flashes of his talent at times. That said, I think he just doesn,t fit in the system we play, so if a decent offer comes this month (around 8 mil) I would accept it.

Reminds me of Tevez and Mascherano at West Ham, once they went to decent clubs and played with better players, they excelled and showed their true talent.

I really dont think Gaston is as bad as some make out on here. He might not have set the world alight here, but we have seen flashes of his talent at times. That said, I think he just doesn,t fit in the system we play, so if a decent offer comes this month (around 8 mil) I would accept it.

Reminds me of Tevez and Mascherano at West Ham, once they went to decent clubs and played with better players, they excelled and showed their true talent.

Can we remember that he is still young and needs polishing! Bale was crap for the first few years at Tottenham an look what happened to him! patience is required and let the manager decide when enough is enough!

Other than the shot for the goal, which Lambert would never have had the time to get off in the Prem, Gaston was much better than Rickie today.

We need Osvaldo back.

They aren't in same position. Rickie was good today. Much better upfront than j rod. Went to pieces after rickie went off. Don't agree about osvaldo. Rickie is better I think. Rickie has proven he can do it in prem, osvaldo hasn't so that's not true about having time. Cut rickie some slack. Scored 3 out of 4 in games he's started so getting there. Would have backed him to score another if he'd stayed on.

Edited by Roger

OK, so if you compare expectation of him with what he has returned, there's no denying he's been disappointing. Hopefully he will still deliver and meet those expectations. But even if he never does, I will always LOVE the fact that we signed him. Remember Liverpool fans up in arms that a player of his calibre would chose us over them? Remember Lawrenson on MOTD declaring "Ramirez to Southampton will never happen"? It was the first signing we had made in a very long time that made fans of the top clubs jealous of us - and that was brilliant.

Gaston loses the ball yes, but he looks to play difficult incisive passes. A guy near me constantly complains we pass sideways or backwards, but when Gaston tries something going forward that's high risk and it fails, that's not good enough either.

He's now caught between a rock and a hard place. He's gonna be the player expected to unlock a defence but when he tries he will be chastised if it fails

Worth remembering that he is only just 23. By the way did we wish him a happy birthday in December? Maybe he is sulking because we forgot.

He is by no means a bad footballer, still don't think he is a bad signing. But he is finding it a struggle to fit in with the MP system (as opposed to the NA system when he joined).

Dixon and Speedie were worse signings in my book.

Charlie George - despite a few displays to the contrary - was poor.

Don't get me started on Mark Hughes.

Agree that RL is up there with the signing of Alan Ball as an inspiration for what he brought to the club.

Its his transfer fee that keeps him in the team or the playing squad, if he was a free he would be nowhere near it, forget his fee for a moment and he has been awful for us, he is a good player but he will never get that luxury he had in Italy here, a very very poor signing.

Change the record.

Has he lived up to our expectations when he signed? No.

Is he our worst signing in the last 50 years? Not by a long way. I mean come on...have you actually been watching Saints for the last 50 years. I can think of at least 50 signings worse than gaston!

I actually don't think he did too badly last season at all and was at times very impressed with him.

Comparing him to other players transfer fees is a bit pointless IMO, especially ones made whilst we were in League 1.

I guess you haven't been to many games then.. there are far worse signings than Ramirez.. forget the transfer fee, that's not his fault, but he can deliver more in a minute than some of our midfield can in 90 minutes.

Sorry why is the fee not relevant ? His wages will be roughly In line with the fee. Rimirez is very poor and should be unloaded pronto. This guy is somewhat of a fraud - a pretender.....

Not up to the premier league. He can 'deliver' very little very rarely. He was at fault for at least one of the Chelsea goals where he stood and watched. He is way way off the pace. We 'defend from the front' he doesn't ! Others do..... Get shot and buy Danny Ings, Ings doesn't have a fancy foreign name but he is quick, intelligent and skillful, makes runs off the ball and contributes !!!!

Oh and scores goals too....and has Saints in his blood....

Edited by captainchris

I'm fine with people thinking Ramirez is not the answer, but how is Danny Ings a better bet?

Also I trust us when it gets to player development in the academy especially if it is a forward-minded player, and if he wasn't good enough then (or Sam Vokes for the matter) then what is there to suggest that he will be a hit with us now?

I know we can get it wrong but I don't think anyone in the Saints environment has followed or seen a lot of both players other than their Saints-related past mentioned this week in the press to suggest they are more valid than the options we currently have.

Osvaldo and Ramirez have played 49 games and scored 9 goals between them -

That equates to £650,285.71 per game or £3,540,444.44 per goal (based on wages earned so far + transfer fee)

Wow!! & ouch!

Saints must be the only football club that dont get any money for players when leaving if that will ever be close to the truth.

But as we all know, dont let the truth stand in the way for some look-at-me posts..

Osvaldo and Ramirez have played 49 games and scored 9 goals between them -

That equates to £650,285.71 per game or £3,540,444.44 per goal (based on wages earned so far + transfer fee)

Wow!! & ouch!

Why oh why did we put them on 49 game contracts!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That has got to be up with the most "i haven`t got a clue" posts eveer submitted on here....50 years!!!must have kept your eyes shut for years

or just been an armchair fan for most of it...

I think the responses to your first suggestion sums up your knowledge of football. But to suggest rickie and Bally are our best signings in 50 years us equally ridiculous. Good players yes, but nowhere in the same league as Keegan, Le Tiss, Shilton, Chandon or Paine.

Where Rickie stands out is his work rate both on and off the field that has enabled him to grow with the club from league one to the England squad. Truly remarkable and probably never to be repeated

I think the responses to your first suggestion sums up your knowledge of football. But to suggest rickie and Bally are our best signings in 50 years us equally ridiculous. Good players yes, but nowhere in the same league as Keegan, Le Tiss, Shilton, Chandon or Paine.

Where Rickie stands out is his work rate both on and off the field that has enabled him to grow with the club from league one to the England squad. Truly remarkable and probably never to be repeated

Agree with your defence of RL, whose record and time here have been exceptional.

But disagree with the rest of the post, in particular regarding Alan Ball, a truly world class player, who like RL was instrumental in our rise - only one division perhaps - but helped us establish as a top side.

Being pedantic, Channon, and MLT came through the youth ranks, and Paine also came through as a youngster (although there was fee involved from Winchester City).

KK, Shilton - good, mega-signings in their day, but neither really had the impact of elevating the club as Alan Ball did. To say Bally, is not in the same league as those two is utterly ridiculous. Listen to KK speak of his time at Saints, and even as twice European Player of The Year, he said he was in awe of Bally, and learnt things from him. Stating the obvious, but one of the three have played in a World Cup winning team, and you know which one it was.

I'm surprised Augustin Delgardo and his personal shopper Chalala or whatever his name was hasn't git a mention on this thread. Always had a niggly injury with us but a trip on a plane back to Colombia was the miracle cure to always be ready for the national side.

See post #8. It's Delgado, not Delgardo - maybe that's what confused you.

See post #8. It's Delgado, not Delgardo - maybe that's what confused you.

Also he's from Ecuador and still considered a legend for getting them to the world cup. Thinking about it now, I don't blame him. Once in a lifetime chance to represent your country at the world cup (still taking saints money) or play for saints.