Calum Chambers - Done Deal - Official

washsaint

But how do you know he did not sit down and try this?

Yes, perhaps he tried and stuck to his guns for all of 5 minutes before caving in!

The point is that we should have layed down the law with the players a long time before now on how many we were prepared to let go and after that put down the shutters and that's it - no more negotiation. "You are under contract - get out there and train". It's as simple as that. With a young player like Chambers, I don't buy that he has the power to force through a move just by saying he wants to go - if we told him No, for the sake of his career, he would have just got his head down and got on with it. What the club are doing gives us no power to hold on to any of our players now - it's open season.

"decision to award Harrison Reed a new long-term contract last week, adding to the list of committed young professionals like James Ward Prowse, Sam Gallagher, Jack Stephens, Jordan Turnbull, Matt Targett, Sam McQueen and others who have seen plenty of first-team activity recently"

Which means **** all as they can leave as soon as they "see their future away from the club".

Do not believe a word KL or any other board member says to be honest.

They aren't seriously expecting those lot to be first team regulars this year are they?

They aren't seriously expecting those lot to be first team regulars this year are they?

I'm scared they genuinely think that.

Genuinely, I have not seen a single thing from Sam Gallagher to make me think he is any better than a Dexter Blackstock.

That is the plan. I was told months ago that the plan was to offset the sales with youth team players, with a few signings here and there to baulk the squad. We'll see, but it's looking like the case.

That's also my worry. The message going out there at the moment is that we are a club in crisis, turmoil, or whatever way you want to spin it. I hope the club are prepared to overspend a little on wages/fees to get players over the line, as that's probably what will need to happen to appease their decisions right now.

From the outside we look a rudderless mess.

I will second that. Surely we could have held off on departures until we actually had more of our own signings over the line?

I still think we have a lot to offer but make no mistake this puts out a bad image no matter what spin Reed and co try to put on it.

Disappointed in this latest twist. The one position where we had a bit of strength in depth and just like that it is gone. £16m is a very, very good price to get but we now need t oget in a stupid amount of replacements just to get us to the position we started with during this transfer window. I am hoping that the players we do eventually sign (I want to see 3-4 players this week) gel quickly and are improvements, but even my normal very positive outlook has been knocked by this latest transfer. The one thing I'm hanging onto is thefact that we still have Morgan. I hope he is the one player who we can hold onto in this window, but he must surely be looking round now wondering where everyone has gone and who all these young strangers are?

In the ST article this weekend it stated that Cortese got Shaw to sign last year bb getting him a new agent, a fat wage for this year and committing to sell in 12 months. No I can see that if true what this does do is get Saints a massive fee rather than the standard a development settlement, so in one way good sense. You have to wonder how many other contracts might have been signed with caveats or side letters, e.g. did Rickie have a you must sell me for £4M in Liverpool come in (and TBF at the time who may have thought it), or if Lovren's had some clause as well giving him a get out, even Cortese conceded last year he was surprised we managed to get him, perhaps that was how ? OK, this is pure speculation on my part (although I may tweet it then it will become TRUE :-) ) but I cant get why Chambers in particular has been allowed to go.

Wouldn't surprise me.

The club will no doubt put ticket prices up as well, people will be paying more than last season to see a lesser side involved in a relegation dogfight.

Hate being so negative about the club but struggling for positives at the moment tbh.

Guan is going to have to post an awful lot of smiley's for us to come good, Minty :)

He's been posting daily and stirring everyone up for ages. Haven't you realised yet that GUAN is a regular member of Saintsweb. He can't change his registered member status to full member as he's a member already. People have offered to pay full membership for him but he doesn't/can't accept.

I have my suspicions on who it is but I'm more interested on the agenda and who at the club is behind his revelations which strangely have dried up of late with nothing of substance posted.

Obviously not everyone this year, but JWP is fairly well established,..and there was a time when people spoke of the U16 full backs Shaw and Targett in the same breath, so who knows?.

there are surely more experienced players coming in (from abroad by the sound of it), but I don't expect to see more than 4 Academy lads playing together again this season

...but in time... I'm sure they'll all have a chance, but you can't judge anyone on the stength of a handful of games.

That is the plan. I was told months ago that the plan was to offset the sales with youth team players, with a few signings here and there to baulk the squad. We'll see, but it's looking like the case.

Jesus Christ talk about history repeating itself! A new Dutch duo and back to playing the kids all at once again. Just this time on a grander scale as we are in the prem.

No disrepect to Harrison Reed but in what little time i've seen of him he has done nothing to indicate he could be a future star....

...unless we sell him to United, in which case he's only about five games away from being Lionel Messi.

I expect a number of them to be. Though the fact that any of them that perform half decently will be ripped from us with no fight is my issue.

Exactly! Based on current events does anybody seriously think that any of our youngsters who excel next season won't be off next summer once the first decent bid comes in? Remember that horsesh*t about the spine of our team coming from the academy? Somebody tell the board it won't happen if we keep selling them!

We are so submissive. A player wants to leave and they're off. I understand a few but it gets to a certain point where every player will be wanting to jump ship. Who wants to be playing for a club with no ambition that seems to be going backwards in terms of the selling of all of its best players?

This is a vicious circle that can't end well for us.

You can justify each transfer on an individual basis but so many at once is such a risk and completely unprecedented. I guess they're saying they had no choice (again) but you'd hope they could have told Chambers to stay put one more year, maybe played him at centre back to get more game time if that was a concern.

Out of interest who do people think will be Clyne's back up now, will Jack Stephens move back to right-back now or is Jason Mccarthy the back up?

The bedwetters perspective....

Lallana - "I won't play for Saints again"

Lovren - "I won't play for Saints again"

Chambers - "I won't play for Saints again"

Let's treat them like the naughty boys they are and put them in the Nursery class, I'm sure they learn their mistake and start to behave again. But we must never sell them, even if they are bad boys

The happy-clappers point of view....

It's not a fire-sale, although I've no idea what the board are doing, but I s'pose it will make sense eventually and we do have more money to replace the players we've lost, probably, maybe, oh dear, I'm beginning to feel a little damp

An alternative POV....

If they won't play, sell them, simples - blimey, we've got how much for them? Bring more youngsters through and try that again next year or the year after that! Could end up with sufficient cash to build a decent squad. We're a business, not just a football club

Chose your own POV

The bedwetters perspective....

Lallana - "I won't play for Saints again"

Lovren - "I won't play for Saints again"

Chambers - "I won't play for Saints again"

Let's treat them like the naughty boys they are and put them in the Nursery class, I'm sure they learn their mistake and start to behave again. But we must never sell them, even if they are bad boys

The happy-clappers point of view....

It's not a fire-sale, although I've no idea what the board are doing, but I s'pose it will make sense eventually and we do have more money to replace the players we've lost, probably, maybe, oh dear, I'm beginning to feel a little damp

An alternative POV....

If they won't play, sell them, simples - blimey, we've got how much for them? Bring more youngsters through and try that again next year or the year after that! Could end up with sufficient cash to build a decent squad. We're a business, not just a football club

Chose your own POV

the alternative would be great BUT it is naive to think a team of acadamy players will cope with Pl football.

As for putting them on the naughty chair, when their England /Croation/French national place is lost, or that they are not in the media spotlight their agents would soon be at them to try again as their value would be dropping. No player can afford to be out of the limelight too long. Sooner or later somebody has to bring them into line as the club will in the longterm will lose out

Whilst we are selling to clubs with genuine Champions league ambition then you could argue that we are always going to struggle to keep a player once they decide they want to go.

What worries me now is that the rest of the squad will be seeing the lack of ambition and it is now only a matter of time before the lower clubs see us as fair game. Once a player moves from saints to a team we consider our equal (midtable clubs) then we can truly see it all imploding. Personally I think the smaller clubs will be sniffing the remains of the carcass for what they can get.

Les Reed: “Our position remains unchanged in that we are determined to keep our best young players at the club.”

What an absolute load of horrendous bull****. Save us the **** take Les, you'll be facing a mutiny if this carries on.

He has he said that today?

Come on cb even you must laugh at that statement. I mean this is incredible.

Not as incredible as reading this statement from Kat

"

The past week has been a period of transition for the club. I wanted to address you directly to clearly set out my position and expectations for the immediate future. After the developments of last week, my priority now is to bring some stability and calm to the workings of the club; perhaps a few smiles too.

Having inherited Southampton Football Club following my father’s untimely passing, I am delighted and proud of the exhilarating period of success that the team and the staff has enjoyed these past few years, buoyed by the unstinting support of the fans.

I am absolutely committed to ensuring that the club continues this success. I have met our manager Mauricio Pochettino and have given him my complete support to build on the good work that has already been achieved. We have also said that we have no plans to sell any of the squad during the January transfer window. Yesterday I met the rest of the staff and gave them the same message of support.

We are now in the top half one of the most competitive leagues in the world, playing attractive football with a young and ambitious team, and poised to move into world-class training facilities. We have much to be thankful for. I am particularly excited that the Southampton tradition of nurturing and providing young talent with first team opportunities is set to flourish with the strong academy foundation we have put in place.

Off the pitch, my priority is to establish the proper running of the club at the top. I also have a strong team of advisers around me as we plan the way forwards. As soon as we have more news to share, we will do so.

We are looking to the future with a determination to create a culture based on open communication, respect and hard work.

Finally, let me say this. I will ensure that all decisions made about the future of the club will be in the best interests of its staff, players, management and fans and will be taken with the prime objective of honouring and maintaining the club's heritage and tradition in the Southampton way."

Biggest load of horse **** I ever read.

Come on cb even you must laugh at that statement. I mean this is incredible.

The question came from disbelief and just to check Clarkey wasn't being naughty.

If he has said that today then he is is a fu cking joke and needs to consider his position immediately also known as fu cking right off out of it.

Whoever said we have lost control is right. Players agents and other clubs are running the show. Just pathetic.

The question came from disbelief and just to check Clarkey wasn't being naughty.

If he has said that today then he is is a fu cking joke and needs to consider his position immediately also known as fu cking right off out of it.

Whoever said we have lost control is right. Players agents and other clubs are running the show. Just pathetic.

top post CB

True (although a few left on loan) the point remains. Saying your prime objective is stability and then going through what we are now going through is a complete joke no?

I'm as p***ed off as anyone. Nobody likes a liar and it appears there are a few at Saints.

Disappointed in this latest twist. The one position where we had a bit of strength in depth and just like that it is gone. £16m is a very, very good price to get but we now need t oget in a stupid amount of replacements just to get us to the position we started with during this transfer window. I am hoping that the players we do eventually sign (I want to see 3-4 players this week) gel quickly and are improvements, but even my normal very positive outlook has been knocked by this latest transfer. The one thing I'm hanging onto is thefact that we still have Morgan. I hope he is the one player who we can hold onto in this window, but he must surely be looking round now wondering where everyone has gone and who all these young strangers are?

If Callum Chambers can force his way out, Morgan will have no problem doing so (assuming it's his desire to do so).