Calum Chambers - Done Deal - Official

washsaint

its ultimately up to the club who stays and who goes (admittedly players can force a move as so many have done!) but i'm f ing fuming at this I thought the whole point of agreeing to the Shaw sell was that we had an up and and coming talented youngster ready to step up that with the right coaching could be every bit as good as shaw and clyne. Arsenal must have handed the 12 million over in a nano second as they know the potential they are buying.

Called it OTT or whatever but im starting to feel the club has totally lost the plot, we are only three weeks or so away from the new season and basically need a new team, how in christ's name are we going to get a team together that will be anything other than divided individuals???

who is making these decisions???

the alternative would be great BUT it is naive to think a team of acadamy players will cope with Pl football.

As for putting them on the naughty chair, when their England /Croation/French national place is lost, or that they are not in the media spotlight their agents would soon be at them to try again as their value would be dropping. No player can afford to be out of the limelight too long. Sooner or later somebody has to bring them into line as the club will in the longterm will lose out

This

You can sell 1 or 2 disruptive members if you have to but cant do that with your entire first 11. You need to ask why so many players are being disruptive Imo

“Calum made it clear to us that he did not see his future at Southampton. As such, it was crucial that we were able to negotiate a substantial fee that also reflects the work our staff have put into Calum’s development since he joined the club at the age of eight.

Ok, so he wanted to go, so it was then crucial we sold him? How about you just sit him down and say no. Nice one. Good determination their Les, absoloutly breathtaking.

They're taking us for fools.

Err why didn't he see his future at Southampton? answer that Mr Reed it is your job to convince him and others there is one!

Ten green bottles (or red and white in this instance) standing on the wall .........five green bottles ..............

Once we get all the indignation and knee-jerk out of the way, I think there is a genuine need for local media to try their best to actually get some information out of the club about what is happening and why. People can vent all they like at various individuals and at club statements, and throw insults around til January, but that achieves nothing. If we want some real answers about things, then some pressure perhaps needs to be put forward in the right manner, through local media.

Katharina's previous statement highlighted things like transparency, commitment to success etc, so I think there are fair questions to be asked now. But it needs to be done in the right way.

Once we get all the indignation and knee-jerk out of the way

Pfft I'll prob be chill about this by tomorrow or weds, and then the club will give me a whole new sale to knee-jerk about. This transfer window is the gift that keeps on giving.

Pfft I'll prob be chill about this by tomorrow or weds, and then the club will give me a whole new sale to knee-jerk about. This transfer window is the gift that keeps on giving.

To be honest, the way things are going you're probably right. Permanent indignation until the first game kicks off, and by then we'll all be watching Eastleigh. lol.

Once we get all the indignation and knee-jerk out of the way, I think there is a genuine need for local media to try their best to actually get some information out of the club about what is happening and why. People can vent all they like at various individuals and at club statements, and throw insults around til January, but that achieves nothing. If we want some real answers about things, then some pressure perhaps needs to be put forward in the right manner, through local media.

Katharina's previous statement highlighted things like transparency, commitment to success etc, so I think there are fair questions to be asked now. But it needs to be done in the right way.

We don't need any more statements Minty. We need actions now, new players and lots of them, fast. and new contracts for Fonte and Cork - that's what we need, not more waffle about how we are ditermind to keep the squad together etc. They've lied to us before and will lie to us again, no matter how we ask.

We don't need any more statements Minty. We need actions now, new players and lots of them, fast. and new contracts for Fonte and Cork - that's what we need, not more waffle about how we are ditermind to keep the squad together etc. They've lied to us before and will lie to us again, no matter how we ask.

I'm looking deeper than that. Obviously 'we' need signings but *I* want to know more about why what is happening is happening if possible. Get some background to the decisions being made as an indication of where the club is headed.

Why all the shock and uproar? We all knew both DL and CC were already gone last week?

For me it was the crass statement. Fine if he'd said "we want to create a culture off success that our best young players want to be a part of - but if they choose to leave we will demand full value for them and reinvest those funds buying equal quality". But claiming determination to keep them in the face of all the evidence wasn't just inaccurate, it demostrates a lack of undertsanding.

I'm looking deeper than that. Obviously 'we' need signings but *I* want to know more about why what is happening is happening if possible. Get some background to the decisions being made as an indication of where the club is headed.

Agree with this. Some idea of the reasoning & also our objectives...........................................

Have to say Reed's statement is the cherry on the top. Hard to know whether he believes it or whether he expects us to.

Clearly neither, he has been told what to say by the incompetent owner/board. Bloke is being undermined at every juncture, and the owner and faceless directors don't have the bottle to say anything just keep putting their fall guy forward. Really has become completely pathetic that we are now owned by a complete joke and managed with her board of incompetents. I really would not be surprised to see Ron leaving very soon, and I suspect Les may walk as well. At that point you know we are totally screwed.

very disappointed about this transfer, more so than Lovren leaving. I feel its a strange decision by both club and player. Fully believed Chambers was going to step up another level this season with us but now he's gone to keep Jenkinson company on the bench. Strange decision because, we could have gotten much more money selling at the end of the coming season and Chambers will being going to stall his development over at Arsenal. Why the rush to leave/sell??

The normal me would stay calm and wait for the replacements, but now I am seriously wondering how we are going to get at least 5 incoming in 5 weeks. Thats not including the fact that they wont have much of a preseason with the rest of the team which means we're going to have to spend the first month or so of the season integrating them into the team.

Reading Reeds statement it smells of Lowes Dutch experiment all over again!

But this time in the premier, Les believes we will be saved by Harrisom Reed, Targett , Gallagher, Ward Prowse, Isgrove, Turnbell, McQueen etc.

Would love to hear Cortese's take on this, he only wanted half the team made up of academy players and was laughed at then! Looks like it will be at least 75% academy graduates very soon!

Cortese obviously signed a non disclosure agreement on leaving! Probably the only good thing the board has achieved to date!

These were obviously the great players we had scouted who were desperate to come to our club.

They say history repeats itself I for one hope it dosent

This is absolutely mental. My optimism for next season is now nearly non existent. If jrod and morgan go we'll be left with 4 of last year's starting 11. We're f****d.

So you think vic will be happy coming back from international duty to this. Fonte, who has been annoyed by contract inaction. No wonder Davis is touted as captain. He's the only first teamer certain to be at saints come the season.

So you think vic will be happy coming back from international duty to this. Fonte, who has been annoyed by contract inaction. No wonder Davis is touted as captain. He's the only first teamer certain to be at saints come the season.

Cork with no new contract as well. That leaves us Davis and Boruc.

Anyone thought of blaming some of the players in all of this, if someone wants to leave, or won't play because they want more money or to leave a "smaller" club, theres not a whole lot they can do about it. It also seems to me that saints have said ok, lets put a stupid price tag on these players, if they go then well have enough money to buy two replacements for them, something that won't happen overnight.

For Sale:

One very well appointed and highly regarded Football Academy, excellent location in southern England, and with a magnificent annual yield of exceptional talent and financial income. A modestly-sized football club annexe is also part of the estate parcel, suitable for publicity purposes and showcasing Academy products to the market. There are some liabilities and covenants on the latter, largely related to a protected colony of tens of thousands of rare-breed 'fans' that flock to the site every 2 weeks in the winter.

POA, please contact Katerina Liebherr.

mentioned on Talksport that Cardiff are offering £35,000 a week to Fonte to step down a division and that he's not on that at Saints!?!? any idea what our Salary cap actually is??

Its all very well the club saying that if a players head is turned he can go and from the press that say Saints can't stop a player moving to a bigger club but surely money and only money is the real motivator for the move(not including SRL) If we are paying our players small wages then a player such as Fonte maybe tempted to leave us as well

Whatever credibility Lesley had, has surely been blown out of the water regarding his latest statement. It's some consolation that I'm a heroin addict, and can escape the rigours of being a modern day soccer fan.

He never had any credibility in the first place. The very idea that some people a few months ago thought he was an appropriate candidate to be a DoF is laughable.

It's a big gamble by clubs buying these young players really. I read a survey made in Sweden - yeah I know we suck at footie - but if you look at the Swedish U21 squad with the original squad of 33players 25% of these made it into to the Swedish premiership or Championship. The rest plays in lower divisions. I remember when Saints signed Prutton who was captain in the U21 and what happened to him? So for me losing these youngsters is really sad for the future but losing the "finished" product like Lovren is worse since you know what you get and with a youngster it's more a gamble.

Still I'm sick of all this departures and don't fancy a season fighting relegation - especially after having last season still Fresh in my memory : /

So please guys - start bringing quality players in to make us fans smile and believe again.

Got to admit this one is the most disappointing of the lot, you could see all the others going off to the big clubs but at 19 I'd hoped Chambers would have stuck around for another year or two.

The club must be wallowing in money at the moment.

He never had any credibility in the first place. The very idea that some people a few months ago thought he was an appropriate candidate to be a DoF is laughable.

Who thought that? Did absolutely anyone sing his praises on here?

Chambers pointing to how well Wenger has nurtured young talent, especially from Southampton annoys me. Chamberlain doesn't see to have improved since he left us (he was bloody good when he left and still is) and Walcotts progression just seems normal rather than anything exceptional.

Don't blame him for leaving. Big improvement on Sagna if you ask me.

Yeah we need to focus on keeping those players we still have. Renewed very good contracts for these 2 and clear statements to rest that no bids will even be countenanced.

How much of an inspiration are Alex and Theo to you?

Massive. Even from a young age in the academy, everyone looked up to them and everyone wanted to do what they are doing.

And there we have it. Every player in our academy wants to come through and do well, so they can f*ck off and play for someone else.

16m for some kid who has played 25 games. Thanks very much.

He looked a strong player but not dynamic enough for a fullback under this new system of RK. Will see who the replacement is before deciding whether this is a good or bad deal in the end.

16m for some kid who has played 25 games. Thanks very much.

He looked a strong player but not dynamic enough for a fullback under this new system of RK. Will see who the replacement is before deciding whether this is a good or bad deal in the end.

That's the way I see it. In isolation it's not such a strange deal but on top of all the others it looks questionable.

Whilst we are selling to clubs with genuine Champions league ambition then you could argue that we are always going to struggle to keep a player once they decide they want to go.

What worries me now is that the rest of the squad will be seeing the lack of ambition and it is now only a matter of time before the lower clubs see us as fair game. Once a player moves from saints to a team we consider our equal (midtable clubs) then we can truly see it all imploding. Personally I think the smaller clubs will be sniffing the remains of the carcass for what they can get.

Do you really see Saints as a regular Champions League place contender? We are a medium sized club who may from time to time push into places 6,7,8 and 9. How much every year would we need to spend to be a shoe-in for the chance of a regular CC spot?

I think the effort and cost would most likely be prohibitive, so the target needs to be more realistic (and the ambition tempered). People keep going on about KL having betrayed her father's vision, but at the same time keep on ignoring what the stated ambition was - to make the club self-supporting. Whatever the public statements have been about the Cortese/KL split, KT doesn't appear to have the 'ambition at any cost' bug. Cortese just got ahead (and too fond) of himself.

Having sold a vision to the players that wasn't wholly shared by KL, it is hardly a surprise that so many have been infected by the 'I want CC football and a mega pay packet' disease. When a couple of them manage to get it all the others similarly minded (not all blessed with a lot of brain) feel entitled to the same.

What's happening at the club is an epidemic and removing the infection (letting the infected players get away) is probably the only treatment. It would seem the infection really began taking hold long, long before the end of the season, and who knows what grapevine message Cortese put out when he was about to quit.

At least the club is getting in plenty of money and has a new experienced doctor with plenty of international experience and contacts who should be able to infuse fresh blood into the patient. All in all, I think Dr Ron is quite a lucky man - I don't believe for a second he wasn't briefed about the position, but no one can expect the truth of the extent of the rot to be openly discussed in public - and accusations of blame bandied around - it isn't the Swiss way.

Do you really see Saints as a regular Champions League place contender? We are a medium sized club who may from time to time push into places 6,7,8 and 9. How much every year would we need to spend to be a shoe-in for the chance of a regular CC spot?

I think the effort and cost would most likely be prohibitive, so the target needs to be more realistic (and the ambition tempered). People keep going on about KL having betrayed her father's vision, but at the same time keep on ignoring what the stated ambition was - to make the club self-supporting. Whatever the public statements have been about the Cortese/KL split, KT doesn't appear to have the 'ambition at any cost' bug. Cortese just got ahead (and too fond) of himself.

Having sold a vision to the players that wasn't wholly shared by KL, it is hardly a surprise that so many have been infected by the 'I want CC football and a mega pay packet' disease. When a couple of them manage to get it all the others similarly minded (not all blessed with a lot of brain) feel entitled to the same.

What's happening at the club is an epidemic and removing the infection (letting the infected players get away) is probably the only treatment. It would seem the infection really began taking hold long, long before the end of the season, and who knows what grapevine message Cortese put out when he was about to quit.

At least the club is getting in plenty of money and has a new experienced doctor with plenty of international experience and contacts who should be able to infuse fresh blood into the patient. All in all, I think Dr Ron is quite a lucky man - I don't believe for a second he wasn't briefed about the position, but no one can expect the truth of the extent of the rot to be openly discussed in public - and accusations of blame bandied around - it isn't the Swiss way.

A sensible post at last!

Nutshell.

We haven't had one of them for a while.