Defectors Watch

adrian lord

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/04/2023 at 19:25, SotonianWill said:

bertrand and vestergaard (got subbed after 11 mins) both starting for Leicester tonight. Leicester u23s that is. 

Leicester U23s must be really desperate if they let Vestergaard play 11 minutes for them. Surely they could have got someone better from the crowd, even if it was only 2 men and a dog.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 21/05/2023 at 10:54, Dr. Kucho said:

Former Saints loanee goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg is retiring today after the last match of the season. He is backup goalkeeper at Ajax but hasn’t played for ages. 

He was shit, the silver lining when Koeman left was taking him to Everton.

16 hours ago, Barsiem said:

Do we have a thread for players we tried really hard to sign but didn't??  If so then whoops this post should be in that thread.  We tried very hard to sign Quincy Promes about 5 or so years back... Looks like we dodged a very big bullet by failing to land him

https://twitter.com/DeadlineDayLive/status/1663591111665893377

Didn't Jhon Viafara get nailed for cocaine smuggling as well? If I had a dime for every time a footballer linked with Saints got done for international drug smuggling I'd have two dimes which isn't a lot but it's weird it happened more than once. 

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Barsiem said:

Do we have a thread for players we tried really hard to sign but didn't??  If so then whoops this post should be in that thread.  We tried very hard to sign Quincy Promes about 5 or so years back... Looks like we dodged a very big bullet by failing to land him

https://twitter.com/DeadlineDayLive/status/1663591111665893377

Besides the cocaïne smuggling, Promes has also been charged with stabbing a family member at a party in Abcoude (just south of Amsterdam). Ajax quickly sold him after that and since then he hasn’t left Russia. Rumours going round he is trying to get Russian citizenship so he can avoid a prison sentence. 

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

Jake Hesketh has signed for Sholing which is incredible for them. 

I can't work out which is greater: The calibre of signing for Sholing, or the fall from grace for Jake.

• Like 1

Just now, kenneth_kenobi said:

Josh Sims scored winning penalty for Ross County in Scottish Premiership relegation/promotion playoffs

Just got there before me  KK. 

I watched  lot of the game, without being harsh generally a lamentably poor standard of football, even our lot would have had a good chance of winning :). Josh Sims actually looked ok, CDAJFU?

46 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

We could do a lot worse than re-signing Toby. Surely he would be interested in a return now his PL playing days are behind him.

Literally just won the league with his hometown club so yeah playing away to Preston North End and Bristol City in the English second tier is the obvious next step for him.

• Haha 2

I saw a stat, on twitter so a massive pinch of salt needed, that since his return to the dutch league, Tadic has won player of the season every single year.

There were genuinely idiots that support our club who didn't rate him. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/06/2023 at 09:22, Dr. Kucho said:

Cautionary tale there. Can only hope that he gets support to address them enough to get to a better place, and be better able to deal with things.

51 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Fair play to him, been fantastic this season for Besiktas and we missed him,  no doubt about that. Great bloke, gives his all, deserves another chance in the premier league IMO. 

I hope he has a really good season back in the Premier League.

6 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Fair play to him, been fantastic this season for Besiktas and we missed him,  no doubt about that. Great bloke, gives his all, deserves another chance in the premier league IMO. 

I know what will happen, we'll become the fans of other clubs that told us repeatedly how good he was because all we'll see are the highlights where he runs past someone once or scores a worldly every 15 games, without seeing the dozens if not hundreds of clips of him cutting back and playing it back to the fullback or just giving it away. 

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Agreed. Was given the poison chalice of being Mane's replacement. 

Got dogs abuse when he was arguably one of the last to deserve it. Is it any wonder he lost confidence.. It must be fucking horrible to be a player at St Marys the past 3-4 years. 

It's have been interesting to have seen how he'd have developed under someone like Poch or Koeman, where there was a feel good feeling at the club.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...