Defectors Watch

adrian lord

A disjointed mess is a massive exaggeration though, they're still in a decent position and will do ok. To suggest they will finish above us is hardly negative, they will probably finish 6th and us 7th. I would be interested to know where you think we will finish this season

Our start has given us a platform for a Top 6 finish, 5th or 6 - which I believe we will manage to achieve. I didn't think that at the start of the season, but there's something different with us this year. I can sense something happening.

It's not an exaggeration, just watch them. Listen to their fans. They are a rabble, horrible to watch, no cohesive play, no pattern, nothing. They'll get the odd result here and there, but Top 10 at best for them I reckon. They lack proven quality anywhere apart from GK.

Blimey, a Poch team won after going behind, there's a first !

Before the game he was moaning that the fans and "people in the club" wanted him to play Harry Kane and implying they didn't know what they were talking about. That'll be two goals in two games Kane.

of course, had we done that, it would have been a 'sign of a good side is winning when not playing well'

even spurs fans aren't that blind looking on the forums they think they are playing s hit and got pretty lucky. I guess our game against villa in a couple of weeks will be a good marker on how we compare to spurs then..

of course, had we done that, it would have been a 'sign of a good side is winning when not playing well'

No Saints fan, on the back of the same p iss weak run that Spurs have been on, would have said that, even the most mental optimists.

Except they ended up winning, we can keep claiming MP is **** and has no plan b, they will still finish above us

Spurs should finish above us. They were one of the favourites for top 5 and would be with or without Mopo. We were one of the favs for relegation.....

Theyve had a poor start and anything below top 5 will be a failure for Spurs and Mopo.

A disjointed mess is a massive exaggeration though, they're still in a decent position and will do ok. To suggest they will finish above us is hardly negative, they will probably finish 6th and us 7th. I would be interested to know where you think we will finish this season

Interesting - why do you think that (apart from natural pessimism)?

The testimony of the biggest lying, cheating, disloyal swine ever to have worn a Saints shirt. Never have I read a more despicable uttering from a former Saint. I pray that Karma will really have it's day with this barsteward.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/lovren-reveals-desire-for-liverpool-transfer-one-of-the-biggest

To be fair to the nob he's doing everything he can possibly think of to get the fans off his back who are (rightly) starting to turn on him.

Just think though, we turned a good profit on him (and then gave most of it to Hull). He is the one that I am enjoying his struggles the most and I am looking forward to his time vs Real, where I hope that they don't give up at half time and really spank them 8-0. But being more serious, I am living in the past where there was still some honour in the world. Lovren's behaviour shows him up for what he is. He is not unique and this is modern football - it's just that in this case, we were the club that got trodden on. He did well last season, but at White Hart Lane, there was a serious exposure of his frailties that seemed to creep in post injury. Maybe that was towards the end of the season when his mind was already elsewhere or maybe I am rewriting things.

I would love to know the dealings between him and Liverpool, and when that all started. (Also when Lallana was tapped up.) Just for curiosities sake as well as reinforcing my feelings on how morally corrupt football is these days.

Spurs should finish above us. They were one of the favourites for top 5 and would be with or without Mopo. We were one of the favs for relegation.....

Theyve had a poor start and anything below top 5 will be a failure for Spurs and Mopo.

Bookies put them behind us though so we are favourites to finish above them.

The testimony of the biggest lying, cheating, disloyal swine ever to have worn a Saints shirt. Never have I read a more despicable uttering from a former Saint. I pray that Karma will really have it's day with this barsteward.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/lovren-reveals-desire-for-liverpool-transfer-one-of-the-biggest

he'd like to end his career there. he's going the right way about it.

He is desperately trying an LFC positive PR frenzy to save face with the most impatient (and deluded) fan base in British football. Failing miserably on and off the pitch, and long may that continue!

MOTD2 didn't think so.

They referred - with highlights - on several occasions to his poor positional play.

I thought he had some good moments, usually for tackles and blocks, but most certainly some very poor positional play.

He needs a leader alongside him to talk him through his game and there wasn't one in the Man Utd defence until Carrick(!) come on and played there, but even then he was on the right of the two.

MOTD2 didn't think so.

They referred - with highlights - on several occasions to his poor positional play.

the lad did ok but looked very uncertain every time he got the ball. Certainly lacking in self belief. No conviction in his play.

not at all the player that has just cost your team £30m.

I only wish there was some way the Club could use his statements in the media what he did to leave, to take him to the cleaners in the court. This is not Croatia and he shouldn't get off the hook for declaring such behavior.

the lad did ok but looked very uncertain every time he got the ball. Certainly lacking in self belief. No conviction in his play.

not at all the player that has just cost your team £30m.

They bought the player, but they can't buy the team spirit, the cohesion, or the belief of the team that helped him become such a good player.

Chambers is the only player who looks anywhere near as good as last season so far, and I think that our team spirit and cohesion plays a huge part in that.

A good team is way more than the sum of its parts. Teams buying our 'parts' are finding that out. They can (and in Shaw's case, I'm sure will) still be excellent players, but unless you've got a free role up front, most players need to work with their teammates to get the best out of each other and themselves. We've clearly got a fantastic culture and belief in our club that helps that... others have tried to buy it from us, without realising what the real source of our success is.

I maintain a small interest in this thread now, but I've got to say, I'm really not arsed anymore.

But please, don't let me stop the rest of you. This thread should be required reading for any player thinking of doing the offs :)

I've never been bothered about the specific players and seeing how they do, however I am far more interested in the wider dynamic of how players integrate into their teams (or not) and how much of that is down to the player, and how much the club they join.

Along with some of our players, there are other high profile examples down the years - Fernando Torres one of the best - of clearly good players simply not delivering at new clubs - and indeed whole clubs failing to perform despite supposedly good signings.

Hence why I think what we've got at Southampton at present - irrespective of specific manager or players - is quite special, and rare.

I've never been bothered about the specific players and seeing how they do, however I am far more interested in the wider dynamic of how players integrate into their teams (or not) and how much of that is down to the player, and how much the club they join.

Along with some of our players, there are other high profile examples down the years - Fernando Torres one of the best - of clearly good players simply not delivering at new clubs - and indeed whole clubs failing to perform despite supposedly good signings.

Hence why I think what we've got at Southampton at present - irrespective of specific manager or players - is quite special, and rare.

By the same token, I find Liverpool fascinating. They sold one player, and one player retired and everything seems to have gone backwards. OK Suarez was top quality and Carragher had the desire and leadership skill set. But even so, I can't understand what they have done. They like to claim it is different from Spurs, but that's exactly what it looks like. Sell a world class player and replace with numerous good & overpriced ones, some who will look to not be very good after all.

By the same token, I find Liverpool fascinating. They sold one player, and one player retired and everything seems to have gone backwards. OK Suarez was top quality and Carragher had the desire and leadership skill set. But even so, I can't understand what they have done. They like to claim it is different from Spurs, but that's exactly what it looks like. Sell a world class player and replace with numerous good & overpriced ones, some who will look to not be very good after all.

But Carragher played no part in their "success" last season, it was all about Suarez and Sturridge, both now unavailable and they're distinctly average, makes sense, when you truncate a side of players capable of scoring nigh on 60 goals a season then you are ferked for not only did they score a lot they got hauled down in the penalty box a lot as well and Gerrard scored 12 penalties or something.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Yes that's part of it, but they had a shaky defence last season that really should have been plugged. Obviously signing Lovren was an attempt to. But granted, the attack - replace Suarez with Lambert and Balotelli, and recall Borini??? Maybe it wasn't envisaged that Sturridge would be off games for so long. (I also worry about that with Saints - if Pelle.....)

But Carragher played no part in their "success" last season, it was all about Suarez and Sturridge, both now unavailable and they're distinctly average, makes sense, when you truncate a side of players capable of scoring nigh on 60 goals a season then you are ferked for not only did they score a lot they got hauled down in the penalty box a lot as well and Gerrard scored 12 penalties or something.

Even with just Sturridge they looked fine. He played the 1st 3 of the season which saw them beat us 2-1, lose 1-3 to ManCity and beat Spurs 3-0. 2 wins against strong sides and a loss to one of the best, 6 goals in 3 games. When he comes back they'll look a million times better but as it is they're impotent up front and rely on goal of the month candidates like Lallana's to get a win. I wonder what we'd look like with Pelle out, I doubt we'd be anywhere near as lethal.

I just read that... and whilst i did smirk alot..... i thought "how the f**k did we spend that kind of money on him and get away with it....

anyway for me.... its as clear as daylight that morgan,big vic and even cork as defensive type midfielders were the real reason for Lovren looking a good player... Big Vic is like a "human bus"

Just had a look at our goal scoring and assist figures for last season (incl cup games) and out of 62 Goals scored, 51 were by players who have either left - SRL, Lallana, Osvaldo, Gaston and Lovren, or not been available yet this season, Gallagher and Jay Rod. An amazing 82% of last seasons total!! This season thanks to Pelle, our midfield and Sunderland's defence ;-) we look more likely to score with every attack much more than anytime last season.

Assists we have not had the services of the players who assisted 29 out of 50 (presume the rest were defensive errors or pens/ frre kicks?)

It would seem our transfer stratedgy was far more thought out than Liverpools scatter gun approach!!