Defectors Watch

adrian lord

I love this post on RAWK: "Just look at that. Three previous second place finishes, followed by a collapse. It's a vicious cycle we're in. Low..low..low..low..HIGH..low..low, and it's because our player recruitment has been woeful. We don't keep our top players, because we're not ambitious enough as a club."

Wonder what Adam, Rickie and Dejan think about that :lol:

I'm not one for rejoicing in the misfortune of our past players so I've read very little of this thread.

I just wanted to say how sad it is to see that Liverpool don't have a damn clue how to use Rickie.

In life (ie the big bad world), I would agree with you. But this is football, and we have been jilted by a number of people. I am not one for going into "but we can still be friends" once we have been shafted, so take immense and very puerile pleasure that some are struggling. Lambert I do feel a little sorry for, but then, he isn't a naive fool so he surely knew what he was letting himself in for. Hard to turn down, but it was his choice. The only one that I do feel sorry for, is Shaw, as he isn't the brightest spark and probably quite malleable. However, I do think that he'll come good, and I do realise that this is more about those that joined L'pool and Spurs.

And that quote from Lovren questioning our ambition in order to engineer his move....because it was so disingenuous, I think he takes pride of place in my puerile desire for him to fail. In the real world, I wouldn't really care, but this is football.

Since Liverpool is on TV every damn week here in the US, they get to be the team I make a point to sit, watch, and root against.

Saints are on TV every damn week too. At least on every cable and satellite provider I'm aware of. You must be using an aerial or summat?

I feel so sorry for Rickie. He is a genuine Southampton legend, and as much as we love him, we all know how good he was - good enough for us and a fair number of teams in the Premier League, but not a 'title-challenging' striker. Even whilst he was with us he was becoming more of a creative attacking midfielder; the fact that Rodgers has listened to the media and England and decided that he's a target man to come on with 10 minutes to go to grab a goal is sad to see. I would be over the moon to see him back with us before the end of his career, even if he only gets the odd cup game.

And that quote from Lovren questioning our ambition in order to engineer his move....because it was so disingenuous, I think he takes pride of place in my puerile desire for him to fail. In the real world, I wouldn't really care, but this is football.

Some will recall a tweet/instagram post from 'Equinox' barbers to Lovren days after the season ended saying their farewells to him and that he would be missed. People quickly jumped on it and the barbers backpedaled by saying he will be missed while he's at the World Cup. In short, he chose to move before the exodus even happened which contradicts his statement that he'd be glad to stay at Southampton had they not started selling.

Funny that he would complain about ambition, yet join a team which had just sold one of the best strikers in the world.

Is it just me, or can anyone else see Lallana somewhere like Newcastle season after next? Either reunited with Pardew, or off to promoted Norwich to try and recreate that feeling of being loved/relevant at a small family club.

8 minutes later...

Ok, I visualised Lallana signing for Norwich in my head but it wasn't enough. Into microsoft paint I went to try and capture the moment. Nobody can tell me they can't see this kind of step happening within a couple of years....

8yyexz.jpg

I'm not one for rejoicing in the misfortune of our past players so I've read very little of this thread.

I just wanted to say how sad it is to see that Liverpool don't have a damn clue how to use Rickie.

I never understood why Liverpool wanted Rickie he was the total opposite of the sort of forwards they played with last season. He could have done a good job for a lot of lower to mid-table PL sides it's sad to see his career going out with a whimper like this.

Let's not forget that if they didn't leave we couldn't have moved on to be the team we are this season. I know this is hind sight and I was not unhappy with pochettino last season but the thought of him managing us now having seen how we play this season genuinely fills me with dread.

Of the players that left, the losers are Lovren,Lallana and Lambert. At least Lambert has gone home and at this stage of his career maybe not the worse situation. Lovren has been found out as not the world class defender he was believing he was and lallanas place in life is to be a bit player in a big club. He is a very good player but he is not a great player. He probably has lost the most by his leaving and I bet in 15 years looking back he will know that.

Its been said that the 'dream' of the three deserters who went to Liverpool was to play for a top team. Liverpool only needed to improve on last year's performance by one place in the table, to win the championship, whereas poor little Southampton had no ambition, and if the deserters went, Saints would be losing their best three players anyway.

Since then, there is a widely held view that the three Liverpool deserters have been replaced at Southampton by better ones, the evidence being Saints' performances so far this season.

But there is another side to this coin, which is that regardless of how well Southampton are doing, Liverpool are not as good as they were last year. Maybe that is just down to the loss of one player, but there is another possibility, that the three defectors might have made Liverpool a less effective team. On the other hand, that theory is undermined because 2 of the 3 get very little game time to the extent that you wonder why Liverpool bought them in the first place. Good thing for Southampton that they did though.

Looking oh so happy together like peas in a pod

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1405[/ATTACH]

Click on image to enlarge

Alex Goring Crook ‏@alex_crook 4hr hours ago

Final point from my game this morning. Rodgers is destroying Rickie Lambert. Needs a run of games to get sharpness. Not an impact sub #lfc

Brendon Rodgers still hasn't cottoned on to the fact, that the success of Lambert and Lallana was playing them together.

As all Saints fans .....I've immensely grateful to both for their contribution to our history, but they made a decision and now they must live with it.

In this case : something like ." ....first you make it to the bench ....and then sit....and sit...and sit .. and sit ":uhoh:.

.....and then take the blame, when you eventually come on and don't win the game..... for the deadbeats who've played all of the previous 80 minutes.

I would love to know what Lovren, Lallana and to a lesser extent Rickie think when they hear our results and look at the league table. Not the bull crap for the press, Lallana's "delighted for them" quote from the other week but what they actually think, they must talk about it in training etc.

I would love to know what Lovren, Lallana and to a lesser extent Rickie think when they hear our results and look at the league table. Not the bull crap for the press, Lallana's "delighted for them" quote from the other week but what they actually think, they must talk about it in training etc.

Lovren doesn't care. He probably thinks he will be playing somewhere else next season.

Lallana is too stupid to understand the league table. He is not too hot on numbers and doesnt realise that 22 points is bigger than 14.

Lambert doesn't care. He is breathing Liverpool air and that is all that matters to him.

When I got my papers this morning the girl who served me (and is a Scouser) said "Can you get me a Saints Shirt as I want to support an ambitious team as our lot are crap and I blame Rodgers!"

"Not jumping ship are you" I replied and left the shop with a smug grin across my face.

PS. "Oh!Southampton.You're the one eh?" Echoes in my memory.

Feeling very sorry for Rogers who constantly reminds us that he lost 80% of las seasons goals last season.

With j rod out too got any idea who much of last seasons goals we have lost Brenda? Perhaps you should add those you bought from us into the last seasons missing goals tally?

IMO Liverpool have had some class managers in the past but this guy just has very little in common with them,

Feeling very sorry for Rogers who constantly reminds us that he lost 80% of las seasons goals last season.

With j rod out too got any idea who much of last seasons goals we have lost Brenda? Perhaps you should add those you bought from us into the last seasons missing goals tally?

IMO Liverpool have had some class managers in the past but this guy just has very little in common with them,

this guy has basically screwed them up by making too many changes and losing their best player.

It always takes at least a dozen games to get so many changes settled in to a team.......oh, wait, no that's not true anymore is it ? ;)

My view of Lovren, Lallana and Lambert as players and Pochettino as manager has radically changed over the last 6 months, to the point where I think they actually held us back to a large extent last year.

The issue is that I think they were ok with competent mediocrity. They didn't have the quality or single-mindedness to go back on a winning run after the Arsenal and Chelsea losses in November. 8th place was decent, but last year we could have been much better. It still annoys me a bit that we didn't finish above a dreadful Man Utd.

I think that very unfair. Do you really think we could be where we are in the first season back? I think some seem to forget that this is but our third season back.

8th was above my expectation but it's clear now that squad could've done so much more than 56 points and 2 meek cup defeats at Sunderland. Spurs and Man Utd were awful and I think we coasted from this time last year for the next 7 months. Those 4, in my opinion, contributed to that

Some will recall a tweet/instagram post from 'Equinox' barbers to Lovren days after the season ended saying their farewells to him and that he would be missed. People quickly jumped on it and the barbers backpedaled by saying he will be missed while he's at the World Cup. In short, he chose to move before the exodus even happened which contradicts his statement that he'd be glad to stay at Southampton had they not started selling.

Funny that he would complain about ambition, yet join a team which had just sold one of the best strikers in the world.

Is it just me, or can anyone else see Lallana somewhere like Newcastle season after next? Either reunited with Pardew, or off to promoted Norwich to try and recreate that feeling of being loved/relevant at a small family club.

8 minutes later...

Ok, I visualised Lallana signing for Norwich in my head but it wasn't enough. Into microsoft paint I went to try and capture the moment. Nobody can tell me they can't see this kind of step happening within a couple of years....

8yyexz.jpg

You'll get my wife wet with pictures like that...

Yeah i heard him say that, poor excuse. Surely J Rod, Lambert and Lallana must have provided about 90% of our goals last season. Luckily we have worked out how to score without them. Liverpool stupidly thought Balotelli might be the answer

My view of Lovren, Lallana and Lambert as players and Pochettino as manager has radically changed over the last 6 months, to the point where I think they actually held us back to a large extent last year.

The issue is that I think they were ok with competent mediocrity. They didn't have the quality or single-mindedness to go back on a winning run after the Arsenal and Chelsea losses in November. 8th place was decent, but last year we could have been much better. It still annoys me a bit that we didn't finish above a dreadful Man Utd.

Sorry, if you think Lallana and Lovren were holding us back last season you can't have been watching very carefully. They were both absolutely outstanding last season. I agree our squad could and should probably have put a few more points on the board last season though.

He's come a long way since he played for Newport (IOW).

That might be so but that was last season. I think if they were still with us and unless we had strengthened we would be nowhere near as good as the present team. The present team looks a quantum leap in effectiveness and quality. The £92m plus the TV income has allowed us an unbelievable chance to move forward.

Always thought Rogers was overrated and last season he hit lucky with an inform Suarez combined with the other title rivals having a mare and/or rebuilding, but even then he couldn't manage to pull it off. Lambert was a stupid buy for a club in their position and signing Ballotelli is just dumb.

IMHO He won't be around for the start of next season (which will make it even more interesting regarding those he bought!).

Not sure why Lambert is getting stick, he didn't leave for money, he left because he wanted to play for his boyhood club. It would be the same if one of use was say playing for a lower premier league team, had been there a while and been successful but then jumped at a chance to move to Saints. I hold no animosity towards him and I think it's a bit sad that a talented and genuine player like Lambert sits on the bench whilst an overpaid waster like Balotelli gets starts.

As for Lallana, always liked him as a player, don't think he handled his leaving well but we got absurd money for him. I'd have him back though because he's a quality player an d a product of our club, but like many before him he should have known that life sitting on the bench was probably awaiting him.

Bale, Walcott, the Ox, Shaw, Lallana all have left regular football where they were clearly improving and then found themselves on the bench too often and their progress stalled. Only really Bale progressed to his full potential in my opinion, Walcott is very good but I bet he'd be a lot better then he is now if he'd stayed a few more years with us getting regular games (or at least went to a decent mid table prem club). It's not too late for the Ox, but there are so many midfielders at Arsenal you wonder once they are all fit where he will fit in with Ozil, Sanchez, Podolski, Wilshere, Arteta, Ramsey, Cazorla, Walcott and Rosicky all battling it out essentially for 4 spots behind the main striker. As for Lallana well, hes not that young anymore and you could quite easily see his game stalling.

Lovren though I will enjoy his failure, he was a money grabbing bastard and whilst we got decent money for him, his conduct deserves some Karma.

Youll recall that i questioned mopo alot last season. I felt that we underachieved with him (given the squad we had)

I was never convinced by his style of football and the FA cup exit was the final straw for me.

I was delighted when he left and take a great deal of pleasure seeing him and Spurs struggle. I dont like mopo and have never liked Spurs. The combination is a delight. Just hope they dont turn it around

This

Not sure why Lambert is getting stick, he didn't leave for money, he left because he wanted to play for his boyhood club. It would be the same if one of use was say playing for a lower premier league team, had been there a while and been successful but then jumped at a chance to move to Saints. I hold no animosity towards him and I think it's a bit sad that a talented and genuine player like Lambert sits on the bench whilst an overpaid waster like Balotelli gets starts.

As for Lallana, always liked him as a player, don't think he handled his leaving well but we got absurd money for him. I'd have him back though because he's a quality player an d a product of our club, but like many before him he should have known that life sitting on the bench was probably awaiting him.

Bale, Walcott, the Ox, Shaw, Lallana all have left regular football where they were clearly improving and then found themselves on the bench too often and their progress stalled. Only really Bale progressed to his full potential in my opinion, Walcott is very good but I bet he'd be a lot better then he is now if he'd stayed a few more years with us getting regular games (or at least went to a decent mid table prem club). It's not too late for the Ox, but there are so many midfielders at Arsenal you wonder once they are all fit where he will fit in with Ozil, Sanchez, Podolski, Wilshere, Arteta, Ramsey, Cazorla, Walcott and Rosicky all battling it out essentially for 4 spots behind the main striker. As for Lallana well, hes not that young anymore and you could quite easily see his game stalling.

Lovren though I will enjoy his failure, he was a money grabbing bastard and whilst we got decent money for him, his conduct deserves some Karma.

Youll recall that i questioned mopo alot last season. I felt that we underachieved with him (given the squad we had)

I was never convinced by his style of football and the FA cup exit was the final straw for me.

I was delighted when he left and take a great deal of pleasure seeing him and Spurs struggle. I dont like mopo and have never liked Spurs. The combination is a delight. Just hope they dont turn it around

To be fair, you just came over that you had a personal vendetta against him and/or were close to Adkins so were p*ssed off?

I may be wrong though!

what %age of last season's goals did we lose?

Sorry, if you think Lallana and Lovren were holding us back last season you can't have been watching very carefully. They were both absolutely outstanding last season. I agree our squad could and should probably have put a few more points on the board last season though.

They were so much a part of what we did well. However, Lallana especially had the habit of going missing in the second half of the season, save for a few games against poor opposition (Fulham A, Newcastle H) Seeing what Tadic and Alderweireld, their replacements, have brought, has made me realise we could have done better. Lambert was definitely holding us back though

Except they ended up winning, we can keep claiming MP is **** and has no plan b, they will still finish above us

One win doesn't make much difference, they're not a team. A disjointed mess is one word to describe it.

Not entirely sure what they've got there that suggests they'll finish above us at this moment in time.

Just more negative outlook by you, which is no real surprise.

One win doesn't make much difference, they're not a team. A disjointed mess is one word to describe it.

Not entirely sure what they've got there that suggests they'll finish above us at this moment in time.

Just more negative outlook by you, which is no real surprise.

A disjointed mess is a massive exaggeration though, they're still in a decent position and will do ok. To suggest they will finish above us is hardly negative, they will probably finish 6th and us 7th. I would be interested to know where you think we will finish this season