Defectors Watch

adrian lord

Really don't care any more about Poch. If he hadn't left we wouldn't now have Koeman. The football that RK is serving up is so much more exciting than Poch's style ever allowed. At the time I thought Poch was going to be a big loss, he did well for us, and instilled a way of playing that was successful, but now you have to wonder whether RK could have achieved more with the same set of players.

I still enjoy seeing Poch lose, but its as much about my dislike of Spurs as about him now.

I couldn't agree more with you on that statement.

You expect successful teams to have enthusiastic fans - even boastful - but I never met a Spuds fan who wasn't obsessed with the 70's " Glory Glory days ", and has ignored their non-history ever since.

As many say, it is Baldini that could be the real problem at Spuds. He has wasted £100m, well not really wasted, but massively over spent on players who cannot justify their prices. The managers usually have very little input on transfers, which I don't think is ever a good thing for them.

But going back to "Anyone notice how some guy from Espanyol ended up as Spurs manager ( sorry coach ) despite never winning **** all, not being able to speak English & never finishing in a Premier League spot above 8th?" there is a certain truth in that and it was a risk for Levy to take. And because of this, I can see the pressure mounting more quickly than say that on LvG, who has achieved in his career. The camp seems a little divided into - he needs more time & he should go now. The problem with "he needs more time" is Koeman having had less time (what with being totally new to PL). The euphoric press coverage about us last season seems to have worked in our favour on the prices we achieved on player sales, but it also massively raised MP's profile, possibly to an unrealistic level. Not our problem any more, and if it causes Spids a problem, then good. Couldn't happen to a more deserving club.

And let's face it, of all the people who left and were replaced over the summer, the best replacement (so far) and the one that you would not turn the clock back for, seems to be Pochettino/Koeman. I guess though that it is still early days, but Karma's a bïtch. The longer MP struggles, I would have thought the less chance any of our players would sign for him as his job security would be more and more tenuous.

As an aside, I would love to know how hard Les and Co. tried to keep him, and knowing that Koeman has ended his contract at Feyernoord, whether they played just hard enough to get the relevant compensation out of Levy. Or whether they really did try and keep him and the (Mirror's) reports of £6m a year wages was true. The press knew he was going seemingly fed by Spuds, and no one is naive enough to totally dismiss all press reports out of hand. I think that most of us, while not wanting to lose him and grasping at straws, knew deep down (not even that deep either) when the reports started coming out, that he was off.

Spurs, one of the most badly run clubs in the EPL. I've said it before but they have a catchment area that should see them getting Man Utd levels of support (better than Arsenal yet they can't even get their ground situation soerted out) and regular champs league football yet they screw it up time and time again.

Poch is finding out exactly what a lot of us predicted, namely that Spurs are a poisoned chalice. They may look bright and shiny on the surface but underneath it's rotten. Bale papered over the cracks but now he's gone they are looking more and more like a midtable outfit.

That club will never get to where they really should be until they change their DNA. They need to tear down the 'instant gratification pay loads and buy the flashiest players' strategy to something more like SFC, invest in youth, pay big for critical players and develop the club as a resilient unit where positions can be replaced without damaging the whole club (exactly as Cortese said when Adkins went).

I'm glad I'm not a Spurs fan, with the prices they have to pay and the size of their support the frustration must be immense.

To be honest, he's inherited a lot of players....but a lot of players who simply don't fit. The problem he's had is that they spent all their money last summer, over £100m. For a club such as spurs, that's pretty much your summer budget gone for the next few years (especially when Levy is running the show!).

He's been left with a squad which is unbalanced and lopsided, no real goal scorers and an inconsistent and injury prone defence - and financially, he's not been able to do anything about it. As you notice from the summer, the only deals they seemed to be able to conclude are ones which includes a player going in the opposite direction.

When you look at the recruitment structure for us during the summer, compared to them, you can see how much more time and attention to detail we spend on signings. These guys weren't just signed based on a 2 week assessment, we're talking 18 months of scouting and monitoring. Soldado, Lamela and co were signed as marque 'big name' signings - but clearly no due diligence was done on their strengths, weaknesses or how likely they are able to adapt to the premier league. They were just sexy names who were signed for big money and would 'excite' the fans.

Those 2 signings cost spurs in the region of £60m, and neither have delivered and will probably end up moving on within time for cut price fee's. Poch is hand tied by the previous summers ****-fest, but he should have seen that from afar before getting himself all excited. He'll learn.

typical of the panic..... " let's sack the manager and then win the title next season " mindset.

When they bought in (AVC /ACV or whoever he was), he ditched all the British players and bought in all the big foreign names, without realising that the majority are /were only good in their own country and that Prem.football is another planet. Sherwood turned the boat around and brought back the home-growns, but had lost Bale. Too bad.

If Levy had any real nous ..he would have kept Sherwood a bit longer, but (unfortunately for Sherwood)....his diplomatic skills weren't nearly as good as the results he got.

He was too outspoken when telling it how it was....and now Spuds are deeper in the mire. Am I sorry ?.....Am I ****.:lol::lol::D:smug:

Possession 67:33 % yet lost 1-2

Sound familiar?

Unsurprising, saw the end of yesterday's game and they seem to have the same problem that we did at times last season, absolutely nothing at the sharp end.

All succesful PL sides have one thing in common, a striker who scores even when the side is under the cosh. Possession means nothing if there's no end product. Did he try Kane yesterday ? I know Adebayor started and Soldado finished but Kane scored 3 for them midweek didn't he? I suppose it's the Thursday/Sunday rotation again.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Yup, Kane came on after 67. You might have thought that after his hat-trick, he might have started. And Ben Davies - why pay £11m for him to be behind Danny Rose, who really is rather bad, unless MP has transformed him. I did hear on the wireless, some pundit questioning that.

Unsurprising, saw the end of yesterday's game and they seem to have the same problem that we did at times last season, absolutely nothing at the sharp end.

All succesful PL sides have one thing in common, a striker who scores even when the side is under the cosh. Possession means nothing if there's no end product. Did he try Kane yesterday ? I know Adebayor started and Soldado finished but Kane scored 3 for them midweek didn't he? I suppose it's the Thursday/Sunday rotation again.

Kane on for Capoue on 67 minutes.

Really gutted seeing how Rickie is being side stepped and the look on his face shows he's not a happy bunny. Another deflector on display for Swansea in the form of Kenwyne Jones who's been even less involved than Rickie.

Really gutted seeing how Rickie is being side stepped and the look on his face shows he's not a happy bunny. Another deflector on display for Swansea in the form of Kenwyne Jones who's been even less involved than Rickie.

Isn't Cunwyne at Cardiff?

Think you're getting him confused with Emnes?

pretty sure Kenwyne plays for Cardiff in the npc!

Pochettino says Spurs' poor form is all down to having a small pitch. Oh.

Ah, so that was the reason they haven't ever won the PL. Interesting when these excuses come out. Often in life, the initial excuses given aren't the real ones. Saint_Tony wrote that he has heard that all is not well behind the scenes, so maybe this is part and parcel of it.

Please for Lovren in a way. He knows now that he probably made the wrong choice so Karma served. Goal will do his confidence good. Maybe they should play him up front more often!!

Gutted for Lambert - its a personal nightmare for him but it was his choice!

Lallana.... ...ineffective game by all accounts but I'm surehe will come good there without ever actually warranting the price tag (bit like Lovren really).

But what has really made my week is the fact that Poch has to deal with questions from the press about Kane. 'Do you think Kane will stay because there has been talk of him being linked with Southampton'. At last people are realising a transfer from Spurs to Saints is a step up and Poch is having to fight to allay fears from his own fans.

Another thought on this "small pitch" business - surely it is a disadvantage to the away teams. Spurs play there every other week - they should be used to it. It is more difficult for teams like saints who have massive pitches to adapt their style - which is probably why we lost.

Another thought on this "small pitch" business - surely it is a disadvantage to the away teams. Spurs play there every other week - they should be used to it. It is more difficult for teams like saints who have massive pitches to adapt their style - which is probably why we lost.

It's the same size as the Dell and bigger than Highbury.

You would have thought so, hence why The Dell was such a fortress.

Ha ha! made me chuckle - the most interesting part of the article is the last bit with all the pitch dimensions in the prem:

Pitch sizes: How the top flight measures up

Team/Length/Width/Area (metres squared)

West Brom 105/68/7,140

Swansea 105/68/7,140

Sunderland 105/68/7,140

Southampton 105/68/7,140

Newcastle 105/68/7,140

Man Utd 105/68/7,140

Man City 105/68/7,140

Hull 105/68/7,140

Aston Villa 105/68/7,140

Arsenal 105/68/7,140

Burnley 105/66.7/7,004

Chelsea 103/67.5/6,953

Liverpool 101/68/6,868

C Palace 101/68/6,868

West Ham 100.6/68/6,839

Leicester 102/67/6,834

Everton 100.5/68/6,834

Spurs 100/67/6,700

Stoke 100/66/6,600

QPR 100/65.9/6,590

All sizes in metres

So ten pitches are identical in size - I was quite surprised.

Just out of interest what were the dimensions of The Dell pitch?

Ha ha! made me chuckle - the most interesting part of the article is the last bit with all the pitch dimensions in the prem:

So ten pitches are identical in size - I was quite surprised.

Just out of interest what were the dimensions of The Dell pitch?

The Premier League have tightened up on pitch measurements this season, they should all be 105 x 68 metres:

http://m.premierleague.com/content/dam/premierleague/site-content/News/publications/handbooks/premier-league-handbook-2014-15.pdf

SECTION K: STADIUM CRITERIA AND BROADCASTERS’ REQUIREMENTS

PREMIER LEAGUE RULES: SECTION K123

K.15. Unless otherwise permitted by the Board, in League Matches the length of the pitch shall be

105 metres and its breadth 68 metres.

K.16. The Board shall only give permission to a Club for the dimensions of its pitch to be other than

as set out in Rule K.15 if it is impossible for it to comply with Rule K.15 due to the nature of the

construction of its Stadium.

K.17. For UEFA Club Competitions the pitch must measure 105 metres in length by 68 metres in

breadth exactly. If for technical reasons of a construction related nature it is impossible to

achieve the required dimensions a UEFA Club Licence may nevertheless be granted provided

that the pitch is minimum 100 metres to maximum 105 metres in length by minimum 64

metres to maximum 68 metres in breadth.

K.18. A Club shall register the dimensions of its pitch before the commencement of each Season

by giving written notice thereof in Form 8 to the Secretary.

K.19. The Board may at any time require a Club to obtain and submit to the Secretary a report by

an independent expert certifying its pitch dimensions.

K.20. No Club shall alter the dimensions of its pitch during the Season without the prior written

consent of the Board.

K.21. The height of the pitch grass shall not exceed 30mm and the entire playing surface must be

cut to the same height.

K.22. Each Club shall take all reasonable steps to maintain its pitch in good condition throughout

the Season and the Board may require a Club to take such steps as the Board shall specify if

it is not satisfied that the pitch is being maintained to an adequate standard.

K.23. Each Club shall provide and maintain at its Stadium an undersoil heating system which shall

be operated to the extent necessary to procure, so far as is reasonably possible, that the pitch

is playable on the occasion of each home League Match.

The Premier League have tightened up on pitch measurements this season, they should all be 105 x 68 metres:

http://m.premierleague.com/content/dam/premierleague/site-content/News/publications/handbooks/premier-league-handbook-2014-15.pdf

SECTION K: STADIUM CRITERIA AND BROADCASTERS’ REQUIREMENTS

PREMIER LEAGUE RULES: SECTION K123

K.15. Unless otherwise permitted by the Board, in League Matches the length of the pitch shall be

105 metres and its breadth 68 metres.

K.16. The Board shall only give permission to a Club for the dimensions of its pitch to be other than

as set out in Rule K.15 if it is impossible for it to comply with Rule K.15 due to the nature of the

construction of its Stadium.

K.17. For UEFA Club Competitions the pitch must measure 105 metres in length by 68 metres in

breadth exactly. If for technical reasons of a construction related nature it is impossible to

achieve the required dimensions a UEFA Club Licence may nevertheless be granted provided

that the pitch is minimum 100 metres to maximum 105 metres in length by minimum 64

metres to maximum 68 metres in breadth.

K.18. A Club shall register the dimensions of its pitch before the commencement of each Season

by giving written notice thereof in Form 8 to the Secretary.

K.19. The Board may at any time require a Club to obtain and submit to the Secretary a report by

an independent expert certifying its pitch dimensions.

K.20. No Club shall alter the dimensions of its pitch during the Season without the prior written

consent of the Board.

K.21. The height of the pitch grass shall not exceed 30mm and the entire playing surface must be

cut to the same height.

K.22. Each Club shall take all reasonable steps to maintain its pitch in good condition throughout

the Season and the Board may require a Club to take such steps as the Board shall specify if

it is not satisfied that the pitch is being maintained to an adequate standard.

K.23. Each Club shall provide and maintain at its Stadium an undersoil heating system which shall

be operated to the extent necessary to procure, so far as is reasonably possible, that the pitch

is playable on the occasion of each home League Match.

and thanks for that too!

So we know that Pochettino won't take the opposition into account with his tactics, and will always play his way. So now the opposition is the size of the field they play on, buy still he won't bend, no way. Ignore it and play your own way. Clearly doesn't have a plan B. Well be checking out the size of pitches we lost on last year to see if we can blame that.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...uthampton.html

The suggestion that he might have any regrets about leaving Southampton clearly hit a nerve. To say he couldn't understand why the question was asked was transparent dishonesty. Sad in a way because he always appeared smart and confident when he was here but now he wouldn't look out of place selling the Big Issue.

Now Poch having a pop at Lamela, his best player so far, for going to the loo at HT! :mcinnes:

In fairness that was I think due to them letting a goal in after 7 seconds of the 2nd half, when their midfielder came on late, was out of place and got stitched up badly to let the goal scoring chance happen.