Morgan's head gone- Update: It has been re-attached

Chez

I'd sell him, I wouldn't have any problem with the club or RK if we did that.

Clearly doesn't want to be here and I don't see anyway back for him.

How do you motivate someone to play in one of the best leagues in the world when he can't even be motivated to train!!

There's two ways of thinking here.

Keep him like we said we would, as the message it sends out if we go back on our word and sell him is poor, it shows we don't keep promises.

However keeping him and playing him over players like JWP also sends out a bad message. That hard work and commitment isn't rewarded with a starting place, you can stamp your feet and treat the club with contempt but you'll still start on a Saturday over players who've kept their head down and worked hard.

Morgan has put the club in a **** position, as have the previous 3 players (chambers, Lovern, Lallana) who demanded a move and stamped their feet because they weren't going to get their way.

I was just as ****ed off with the club when the selling started but I don't see the alternative? Let these players act this way and hope they change their mind? What example does that set for the rest of the squad? What would that do for morale? Arguably allot worse than it has by selling them.

Their professionals, yet Morgan and the others haven't acted that way. Regardless of how he now plays on the pitch. Morgan was right, 6 years destroyed, not by the club but by his petulance!!

It's admirable that the club are trying to stick to their word but it's pointless, he'll leave either way.

Sell and re-invest

I'd sell him, I wouldn't have any problem with the club or RK if we did that.

Clearly doesn't want to be here and I don't see anyway back for him.

How do you motivate someone to play in one of the best leagues in the world when he can't even be motivated to train!!

There's two ways of thinking here.

Keep him like we said we would, as the message it sends out if we go back on our word and sell him is poor, it shows we don't keep promises.

However keeping him and playing him over players like JWP also sends out a bad message. That hard work and commitment isn't rewarded with a starting place, you can stamp your feet and treat the club with contempt but you'll still start on a Saturday over players who've kept their head down and worked hard.

Morgan has put the club in a **** position, as have the previous 3 players (chambers, Lovern, Lallana) who demanded a move and stamped their feet because they weren't going to get their way.

I was just as ****ed off with the club when the selling started but I don't see the alternative? Let these players act this way and hope they change their mind? What example does that set for the rest of the squad? What would that do for morale? Arguably allot worse than it has by selling them.

Their professionals, yet Morgan and the others haven't acted that way. Regardless of how he now plays on the pitch. Morgan was right, 6 years destroyed, not by the club but by his petulance!!

It's admirable that the club are trying to stick to their word but it's pointless, he'll leave either way.

Sell and re-invest

If we sell now, we won't get full value as Spurs and Arsenal will think they can get him on the cheap. If they offer full value, then fine. If not then keep him at least until January.

Personally, I'd be amazed if he A) Plays at Anfield (not had a minute's pre-season in a Saints shirt) and B) is still a Saints player come September 1st.

I resigned myself to him going ages ago, once Spurs meet the asking price I don't doubt for a second he will be gone. Koeman does not want people who don't want to be here in the squad.

I would tell him you can go if someone coughs north of twenty million. Cash. No tommy forecast swaps. Cash. Not dreamland add ons. Cold hard cash.

i would then tell his agent, spurs, arsenal and the press. Any bid we then received, I would make public - this transfer I would do in the open.

if someone doesn't come in for you at that price then they obviously have a lower sense of your worth than you do sunshine.

I would tell him you can go if someone coughs north of twenty million. Cash. No tommy forecast swaps. Cash. Not dreamland add ons. Cold hard cash.

i would then tell his agent, spurs, arsenal and the press. Any bid we then received, I would make public - this transfer I would do in the open.

if someone doesn't come in for you at that price then they obviously have a lower sense of your worth than you do sunshine.

To be fair, that sounds a lot like the stance they took with Lallana, Lovren et al.

If he trains and plays, I hope we all forgive him immediately, back him heartily, get the best out of him, praise Koeman for his man management and cheer the whole team on, what is the point of a grudge? That is what he is doing now. If he gets over it, so must we, immediately.

As the 12th man parody of Tony Grieg once said, "a grudge is just somewhere to park your car"

I must confess that Koeman is coming out as hard as nails. Players have been crying out for clarity and leadership and shouldn't grumble if they get it.

Edited by St Chalet

It makes you wonder about Pochettino's judgement.

He has taken a job where a 5th place finish is failure, Spurs have a divine right to Champions' League football, it is their destiny etc - so he has to take a fairly ordinary squad above Man Utd and Liverpool.

Now he thinks he can buck the trend of the huge fees our players have raised and can buy Morgan at half-price. :o

I look forward to seeing him fail, on all counts.

He has taken a job where a 5th place finish is failure, Spurs have a divine right to Champions' League football, it is their destiny etc - so he has to take a fairly ordinary squad above Man Utd and Liverpool.

Now he thinks he can buck the trend of the huge fees our players have raised and can buy Morgan at half-price. :o

They have a dicky first few games and Levy will get twitchy, 2 bellends who are made for each other

To be fair, he's stated he aims to get Spurs to the CL but this season is a rebuilding one IIRC.

I'm with you there. To be honest, I am a little petulant, and want to see all our ex players fail except those that have moved on to clubs below us, where I hope that they prosper.

They have a dicky first few games and Levy will get twitchy, 2 bellends who are made for each other

Doubt they'll sack him, but i do find the targets at that club very strange. They have the 5th/6th best squad and they have the 5th/6th biggest resources. I fail to see how they can better that on a consistent basis, and if they do finish outside the top 4 then you're likely to get sacked.

MP went for one reason only - £££££

Doubt they'll sack him, but i do find the targets at that club very strange. They have the 5th/6th best squad and they have the 5th/6th biggest resources. I fail to see how they can better that on a consistent basis, and if they do finish outside the top 4 then you're likely to get sacked.

MP went for one reason only - £££££

Supposedly we matched Spurs offer though? I think he went for the team to be fair, not for money for the reason stated previously and it sure wasn't for the stable and healthy work environment.

It amazing how your heart can come around when your head realises you've got no ****ing choice. :)
he has a choice it depends how far he wants to go. I get the impression that. MS is more intelligent than most footballers and can see he may ruin his reputation and even future. I expect that if he has had a change of heart the club have given him the green light for a move in Jan

To be fair, he's stated he aims to get Spurs to the CL but this season is a rebuilding one IIRC.

Wasn't the least season a rebuilding one? And the one before. It might possibly be understood by Poch that he has the breathing space of a season in which to rebuild, but I suspect that Levy and the fans will expect more from him, as they seem to believe that they are a bigger club than they actually are.

Personally, I'd be amazed if he A) Plays at Anfield (not had a minute's pre-season in a Saints shirt) and B) is still a Saints player come September 1st.

I resigned myself to him going ages ago, once Spurs meet the asking price I don't doubt for a second he will be gone. Koeman does not want people who don't want to be here in the squad.

The problem is that Spurs do not have £20+m to spend at the moment without offloading some of their fringe players - And so far they have not done that either.

It was a cheeky bid from Spurs, perhaps playing on the precedent set by others going and Morgan pushing the exit door, but so far it has been roundly slammed in their faces - Which I am pleased about.

Supposedly we matched Spurs offer though? I think he went for the team to be fair, not for money for the reason stated previously and it sure wasn't for the stable and healthy work environment.

5 year contract worth 15 million plus bonuses? i'd be very surprised if we were in a position to offer him that

If only the club had taken this stance with some of the other players

And therein lies one of the problems we've experienced this summer. It's a little too convenient to suddenly decide Morgan is invaluable to the Club and can't leave any more than Lovren or Lallana was. Unfortunately for Morgan it was his finger Ralph grabbed hold of to stick in the dyke.

The problem is that Spurs do not have £20+m to spend at the moment without offloading some of their fringe players - And so far they have not done that either.

It was a cheeky bid from Spurs, perhaps playing on the precedent set by others going and Morgan pushing the exit door, but so far it has been roundly slammed in their faces - Which I am pleased about.

Tell them give us Kaboul, Dembele and Holtby + 10m and they can have him.

I had a dream in which Schneiderlin played for us and deliberately lost the ball, leading to a goal for the oppo. Hope his sulking doesn't come to that. But to be honest, in this depressing age of toys out the pram player power, we don't have much of a leg to stand on if he wants his move, Kreuger threat or no. Best I could hope for is he goes to Arsenal, not a club I detest, Spurs.

he has a choice it depends how far he wants to go. I get the impression that. MS is more intelligent than most footballers and can see he may ruin his reputation and even future. I expect that if he has had a change of heart the club have given him the green light for a move in Jan

I don't think any club would make promises like that to a contracted player...that's as bad as giving in today and telling him his tantrums will be rewarded.

It seems that most of the press are on our side. Talksport this morning, Brazil and that rugby chap and some other pundit, said it was about time clubs took this sort of stance and that £30k per week, which he was happy to sign up for last season, wasn't exactly peanuts. One of the other aspects that I find distasteful, is the way that it is a dog eat dog business. There are 20 teams in the PL with another, say 10 that make up the various positions through relegation/promotion - so a relatively small number, where there is no solidarity what so ever. We are just as bad as everyone else, we get shat on, we **** on the people below us. I am sure Paul Lambert feels that we have behaved in a similar manner regarding Vlaar as Spurs have with our players, although it seems that we have not put a bid in for him.

My dream is for RK to work some magic this season and to deliver one big **** off to the press, the detractors, the ex-manager and ex-players.

CB Saint:

So the message you'd send out to any other club and all of our players current and future, is that if you don't wish to honour your contract, just throw a strop and the club will let you go? And if the amounts received for other players was deemed to be extreme compared to their realistic values, you'd accept just £20 million for one of the best midfielders in Europe? He is far more difficult to replace than Lallana, Lovren, Lambert or Chambers, so anything less than an amount that would make the buying club wince is not enough. £30 million should be the lowest amount, bearing in mind that we don't need the money and would rather keep the player, as it is unlikely that we would be able to find a comparable replacement that easily.

But even at an eye-watering fee, I'd still be worried that the message gets across that regardless of the Chairman stating categorically that a player isn't for sale, that we would be prepared to renege on that position and make ourselves look foolish and set the guidelines for every other player at this club and indeed elsewhere.

As the 12th man parody of Tony Grieg once said, "a grudge is just somewhere to park your car"

I must confess that Koeman is coming out as hard as nails. Players have been crying out for clarity and leadership and shouldn't grumble if they get it.

We don't know that for fact do we? For all we know he could be a wimp talking tough to the press but soft as candy in one-on-one relationships. Why wasn't he out there on Saturday otherwise?

And therein lies one of the problems we've experienced this summer. It's a little too convenient to suddenly decide Morgan is invaluable to the Club and can't leave any more than Lovren or Lallana was. Unfortunately for Morgan it was his finger Ralph grabbed hold of to stick in the dyke.

Perhaps they decided much earlier about the players they wanted to keep and those that they were prepared to let go???

I get the impression they were fine with Shaw Lalanna, Ricky and Osvaldo moving on not sure they wanted either Lovren or Chambers to go though!

Chambers is my odd one out, it seemed to go through with v.little fuss but you'd think he was the least entitled to a move + would look the biggest helmet if he kicked off in press after only 20 games. I'm probably marking that down as we wanted to sell, for whatever reason.

Chambers is my odd one out, it seemed to go through with v.little fuss but you'd think he was the least entitled to a move + would look the biggest helmet if he kicked off in press after only 20 games. I'm probably marking that down as we wanted to sell, for whatever reason.

Perhaps we had a pre-defined sum of money that we wanted to obtain and took the shortest route to that objective. Who knows what the reasoning behind it all really is/was.

However there is one no doubt coincidental occurence...the sales ended (or so they say) and so did Hofstetter....reputed as an expert in corporate finance and part time attorney,

Edited by Window Cleaner

It's funny that he wants to play for Spurs, when it seems Spurs value him so little. If I were him, I'd take a £10m bid for my services as an insult.

yeah there's that, but also, how would the club look if we accepted 10m for him? He's one of the best midfielders in the epl. 10m is a joke figure. We would look stupid and it would be the daftest transfer of the lot.

I wouldn't let him go for less than 25m, but I'd want closer to 30m.

yeah there's that, but also, how would the club look if we accepted 10m for him? He's one of the best midfielders in the epl. 10m is a joke figure. We would look stupid and it would be the daftest transfer of the lot.

I wouldn't let him go for less than 25m, but I'd want closer to 30m.

out of interest it's 10 million+ Chichires+Holtby....that was the last known (or reportedly so) offer. That's about 20 million £ in all, but we didn't want Chichires or Holtby, they're probably over our pay scale as it stands. So instead of signing Chichires for say the 35K/week that he'll be getting a Spurs we pursue the signing of his old oppo Gardos who'll be happy with less than half of that sum as he's coming directly from Roumania.

This problem was started when Cortese left and his mate decided to go too. The favourites made a pact, now all but him have gone. It looks certain that all were tapped up. We really had to offload them. This crisis with Schneiderlin is being pushed from outside, to get the player on the cheap. A £10m bid is ridiculous. He is not for sale unless a huge bid is made. Spurs won't do that. As far as I'm concerned he'd be better advised to play and entice a huge bid, otherwise he won't be sold, not be paid and disappear from international football.

out of interest it's 10 million+ Chichires+Holtby....that was the last known (or reportedly so) offer. That's about 20 million £ in all, but we didn't want Chichires or Holtby, they're probably over our pay scale as it stands. So instead of signing Chichires for say the 35K/week that he'll be getting a Spurs we pursue the signing of his old oppo Gardos who'll be happy with less than half of that sum as he's coming directly from Roumania.

oh, I didn't know that.

This problem was started when Cortese left and his mate decided to go too. The favourites made a pact, now all but him have gone. It looks certain that all were tapped up. We really had to offload them. This crisis with Schneiderlin is being pushed from outside, to get the player on the cheap. A £10m bid is ridiculous. He is not for sale unless a huge bid is made. Spurs won't do that. As far as I'm concerned he'd be better advised to play and entice a huge bid, otherwise he won't be sold, not be paid and disappear from international football.

On tapping up... Woy Hogdson just on SSN stating that he told Shaw that if he moved to Manure it would be a tougher training regime than Soton. I don't think we should welcome Hodgson at SMS.

Chambers is rumoured, along with Shaw to have a release clause. The ease of his move despite our need for rb and cb cover is consistent with that.

Perhaps we had a pre-defined sum of money that we wanted to obtain and took the shortest route to that objective. Who knows what the reasoning behind it all really is/was.

However there is one no doubt coincidental occurence...the sales ended (or so they say) and so did Hofstetter....reputed as an expert in corporate finance and part time attorney,

Where do get that he was a corporate finance expert from? All that I have read on him is that he was an expert on company law and corporate governance.

It wouldn't surpise me though that he fell victim for opening his big mouth and planting his foot firmly in it regarding his statement that the new board had inherited a difficult financial situation, even though he qualified that by saying that it did not necessitate us selling any players. Naturally the press didn't take any notice of that part of his statement, but he should have anticipated that.

Chambers is rumoured, along with Shaw to have a release clause. The ease of his move despite our need for rb and cb cover is consistent with that.

If there was a release clause it would be reported and Saints would confirm it. It would be in our interest to disclose it.

Perhaps they decided much earlier about the players they wanted to keep and those that they were prepared to let go???

So you don't think Ralph had any discussions with the Spurs officials who gave him corporate hospitality for the day / night whilst in Toronto recently?

They didn't have release clauses. The club would have told us all after all the flak they have got over all if this

The rumours exist on here. Sooner or later it will get mentioned enough on here it will start to become some sort of fact

I'm genuinely surprised how many here would let Morgan leave. The point that's missing from the discussion is that the club's and Krueger's reputations are on the line on this one. Krueger couldn't have been more black and white. If someone can still wrangle a departure after the categorical statements he made, it will come back to bite in the future, time and again. Letting him go to Spurs seems especially mad. I strongly believe it's worth holding the line here, even if it means we get no money, and Morgan doesn't play.

The truth is, IF we hold the line I'm pretty sure he will be playing soon enough. Comments like "there's no point in him being here if his head isn't in it" seem to assume that people don't change. Once Morgan is looking at 5 months till next transfer window, I have no doubt he'll buckle down and start training properly. And there's plenty of ways the club can help nurture that. Maybe offer him a bonus for matching last season's amazing stats on interceptions, etc. Or just give him time with Jose, who seems genuinely to like him and want him to stay.

We should not give up on Morgan. In fact, I really don't think it's a sane option to let him go at this point. January, maybe... if an amazing offer comes in, and it's clear we're strong enough without him. That would not under cut Krueger at that point.

I personally hope he stays, comes on as sub at Liverpool. That sends all the right messages: You can't start because you haven't played enough with the team. But still, we're going to give you a chance to be a hero.

I'm genuinely surprised how many here would let Morgan leave. The point that's missing from the discussion is that the club's and Krueger's reputations are on the line on this one. Krueger couldn't have been more black and white. If someone can still wrangle a departure after the categorical statements he made, it will come back to bite in the future, time and again. Letting him go to Spurs seems especially mad. I strongly believe it's worth holding the line here, even if it means we get no money, and Morgan doesn't play.

The truth is, IF we hold the line I'm pretty sure he will be playing soon enough. Comments like "there's no point in him being here if his head isn't in it" seem to assume that people don't change. Once Morgan is looking at 5 months till next transfer window, I have no doubt he'll buckle down and start training properly. And there's plenty of ways the club can help nurture that. Maybe offer him a bonus for matching last season's amazing stats on interceptions, etc. Or just give him time with Jose, who seems genuinely to like him and want him to stay.

We should not give up on Morgan. In fact, I really don't think it's a sane option to let him go at this point. January, maybe... if an amazing offer comes in, and it's clear we're strong enough without him. That would not under cut Krueger at that point.

I personally hope he stays, comes on as sub at Liverpool. That sends all the right messages: You can't start because you haven't played enough with the team. But still, we're going to give you a chance to be a hero.

Yes, I think this is a sensible approach and one which could pay dividends with regards to hanging on to our players in the future, especially if things turn out well for Morgan at Saints and not so well for our ex-players at their new clubs.

Granted there’s a few ‘ifs’ there, but you never know – a lot of things can change in 5 months, especially in the world of football.

I agree totally with your opinion. Although some of his mates have departed for what they consider to be pastures greener, there are several others who I hope will be considered by him to be friends who are still here. It is just Lallana who has left from the midfield of which he was the kingpin. That midfield is arguably stronger with the additions of Tadic and Taider and he has an opportunity to impress further with his contribution to it. Champions League football is not available with Spurs and his mates have gone to Liverpool and United. His favourite manager is with Spurs, but for how long? What does he do if he signed for Spurs and then Pochettino was sacked after 6 months? Where does he see himself in a year or two? Spurs are unlikely to the extent of his ambition. In the unlikely event that Pochettino does a good job there, he would probably only use them as a stepping-stone to higher things, as he used us. Why shouldn't schneiderlin be pursuaded to enhance his prospects here with us for another season and then make the career jump to one of the major European clubs?

If he had so much respect for Pochettino, I wonder why Koeman shouldn't be able to influence his decision with his considerable experience with some of the World's top clubs.

This afternoon Talksports Hawkbee and Jacobs had one of the top Football Agents with 20 years experience on their program. I'm hoping it will be available online so everyone can listen. He answered everything on the Schneiderlin situation.

1)The Club are perfectly within their rights to enforce a contracted player to stay.

2) He said no reputable agent would ever advise his client to act in the way Morgan has done. He admitted there are agents with no scruples, only interested in earning their commission at ever turning of a players career.

3) Having made their stand on Morgan not leaving they have to maintain it and would lose all creditability within the game were they to cave in.

4) If he hasn't done so already Morgan risks ruining his career, reputation if he doesn't honor his contract and creates a standoff.

The agent related that Morgan was most likely tapped up by people with an agenda and doubts it would have been his advisers. That there is without doubt a media campaign being fed by interested persons or club and it was up to Saints board to deal with it.

Unfortunately I can't recall all he discussed but as supporters we should get behind Morgan and make him quickly see why staying at the club is the best way forward. I'm hoping others have heard the program or the recording will appear online.