Victor Wanyama.....is the latest name

david in sweden

..to be linked with a move to ....Arsenal. It's just as though that Prem. clubs have suddenly discovered there's another club south of the River.

Now that the " cream " of last season's successful squad have gone, clubs are looking around at the scraps left over....a closer look will see that they've missed a few.

well, now it's Victor's turn for the headlines. Arsenal willing to pay £15 million - (it says.)..a modest profit, but a good deal?

IMO, whilst VW's presence on the pitch is impressive to say the least....I ask myself ....is he really that good ...and would he be a great loss?

Managers / Scouts are impressed by players who play a good match, and a goal for Celtic (v. Barcelona in CL) did his reputation no harm at all, somehow he always seems to be lacking in some way.

It's got to be down to the player and his attitude. If he wants to stay (fine), but if he's another player with a " Lovren mindset " and wants to go - I wouldn't cry.

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with this thought, but now I've nailed my colours to the mast on this one.

Even if Arsenal wanted to buy him, it really comes down to whether we want to sell him. If we don't our MO is already established. We wait until several other newspapers whip up a frenzy of other clubs supposedly wanting to buy him, then value him at a figure that Arsenal are unwilling to pay unless they get desperate to have him at all costs. When we sell him for a vastly over-inflated fee, we replace him with a better player at half the price. Onwards and upwards.

VW was impressive when he came on last weekend. Sissoko (who I think would do well here) was giving us some problems in the first half, using his pace and strength to get in some good positions. VW came on and Sissoko was largely anonymous second half, even appearing near his right back to try and get on the ball.

VW is quality, and when we signed him I expected him to end up at a top 4 club rather than us, just hope some stellar performances in the meantime will drive his price up for when he eventually moves on.

And he has seemed to have sorted out his passing a bit as well, haven't seen much of his wayward balls (s******)

Edited by Lorne Malvo

Jesus Christ - why is this forum full of absolute nutters? What are you like at home? I'm sure half of you are bi-polar.

A player linked with a club, shock. It happens, it happened a lot over the summer, it'll keep happening a lot the better we do. It's no big deal.

Which is the reaction posted which leads you to label them as nutters? As far as I can see, yours is the post that is most lacking in composure and all the others are just opinions discussing the matter raised. Jesus Christ - it's what happens on a forum.

Jesus Christ - why is this forum full of absolute nutters? What are you like at home? I'm sure half of you are bi-polar.

A player linked with a club, shock. It happens, it happened a lot over the summer, it'll keep happening a lot the better we do.

It's no big deal.

well, of course not..and TBF ...I don't really expect it to happen, but it's all good-much raking from the media, isnt it?

Davie - its just media speculation. He probably isnt good enough for Arsenal anyway.

Oh I know that Charlie, but I had a quiet morning and the idea seemed a good one to float....

(also Looks like Lovren isn't really good enough for L'pool, but that's what happens with clubs who are obsessed with winning CL, and give their managers an open cheque book...)

A player linked with a club, shock. It happens, it happened a lot over the summer, it'll keep happening a lot the better we do. It's no big deal.

which half of me did you think was bi-polar? :D or :(

Possible Arsenal have looked but VW could cost £20m minimum because Saints don't need the £ and if Wenger is going to shell out £25m he might as well bid for Morgan who is different class. Anyway, Victor's agent seems to be very active so more likely to have come from that source.

our new team has gelled more quickly than Liverpool's because our engine room, the midfield, has retained Big Vic, Morgan and Corky, it's the envy of the Premiership. Of course top clubs are going to want parts of it. As long as our new 'no sell' policy keeps the engine room together we will be ok...and if the Arse spent £50m (?) on Ozil, double it for Big Vic--or Morgan

Didn't we hear all this guff after Wanyama's interview in Kenya about 3 months ago?

Can we all just assume that all of our players will be linked with other top half Prem clubs (and Man U) and that they're all off asap from now on, then there's no reason to get upset when they do go, and we can all be pleased if they don't?

That's my new attitude to it all - just enjoy it while they're here.

Didn't we hear all this guff after Wanyama's interview in Kenya about 3 months ago?.......think you're right?

Can we all just assume that all of our players will be linked with other top half Prem clubs (and Man U) and that they're all off asap from now on,

YES quite possibly, and even some Academy starlets, too

then there's no reason to get upset when they do go, and we can all be pleased if they don't ......

.... I'm not in the least upset, but I just don't us to have dissenters in the dressing room who want to be somewhere else.

That's my new attitude to it all - just enjoy it while they're here. AGREE 100%

that about wraps it up, I guess....

Edited by david in sweden

Possible Arsenal have looked but VW could cost £20m minimum because Saints don't need the £ and if Wenger is going to shell out £25m he might as well bid for Morgan who is different class. Anyway, Victor's agent seems to be very active so more likely to have come from that source.

as for Wenger's Arsenal squad.....IMO ...I think Morgan would be a highly desireable luxury..... whereas Victor is an absolute necessity ..

• 3 weeks later...
I despair I suggest the originator of the post watches a few games. Some supporters seem to have a problem assessing players in the defensive midfield position.

I watch EVERY game possible (via TV /streaming)....but unfortunately much less live - and only when in the UK. Contrary to your assumption, I rate him vey highly, but (re-reading the OP)

..IF he is attracted to the bright lights of an established top four club and has that " Lovren want-away " attitude.. it's surely better to get to grips with the problem ASAP as bad feeling in the dressing room is an unnecessary evil, and we are better off without it. IF he were to go , we'd be looking at £20+ million, and if our scouting network does it's job replacing him wouldn't sound like an impossible task.

However, My bottom line is... . I hope he's content to stay, and that this is only newspaper talk - yet again.