City Build Up Thread

Wiggles31

Completely disagree. Perfect for Saints IMO, let them celebrate that all week. They're a top side but they just don't show the right mentality and focus away from home in the league. Looks like the classic back down to earth with a bump scenario.

They showed plenty of frailties in that game and really struggled to breakdown 10 men until the last few minutes. Keep Aguero quiet and we'll win. He's brilliant, but we have dealt with him ok at home the last couple of seasons. He only managed 1 goal against Gazzaniga which should embarrass him.

do you really think they will be 'celebrating' that win all week?

theses are the champions. they dont become champions twice in 3 seasons by 'celebrating' wins all week

we will have to be at our very best to get anything on sunday. if we show up, I fancy us to get at least a point. I cannot see us keeping a clean sheet mind so we will have to be far, far less wasteful in the final 3rd than we have been in the last couple of games

How the heck are we going to stop Aguero, it just isn't possible. I fear we're in for a thrashing after tonight's City morale booster. Prepare for a drubbing chaps. Most pessimistic I've been all season. 0-4 if we're lucky, sorry Ron but can't see how we'll ever get the ball off them.

of course the other side of the coin is they couldn't beat QPR............

City are beatable if you cut off Aguero's supply. The rest of them are nothing special.

Bayern mugged themselves tonight, City were down and out before Bayern tossed the game away, a game that didn't mean anything to them anyway.

Schneiderlin\Wanyama\Cork + our defence will not be giving them the kind of freebies Bayern did tonight.

City are beatable if you cut off Aguero's supply. The rest of them are nothing special.

Bayern mugged themselves tonight, City were down and out before Bayern tossed the game away, a game that didn't mean anything to them anyway.

Schneiderlin\Wanyama\Cork + our defence will not be giving them the kind of freebies Bayern did tonight.

We've come along way since Rochdale did the double over us

Hopefully we'll also keep 11 men on the pitch for the full 90. And have Andy Townsend Silenced.

Hopefully we'll also keep 11 men on the pitch for the full 90. And have Andy Townsend Silenced.

Not just me that noticed the 'get in!' when aguero scored the winner then. It's bad enough when he does that stuff commentating on the England matches.

We need to start this game brightly at a high tempo and get at them in the first 15 mins. They will want to control the game at their pace which we must not let them do.

Davis returning (someone mentioned on the other thread) is a huge boost. Really missed him on Monday. What a signing he was too by the way! Massive player for us these last two seasons.

No, but having watched them closely for several years, they frequently don't turn up in away games. That still means we have to play well to win, but the fact is we aren't such a big game as Bayern Munich, they won't have given us any thought until tomorrow at the earliest and have a lot of egos who think they will beat us without maximum effort. It doesn't take a genius to see. Sometimes they get away with it, sometimes they don't, but there is nothing to be afraid of with them.

Yes you give Aguero a chance he'll probably take it, but you shouldn't be letting anyone get clean through at this level anyway. You can't see us keeping a clean sheet because you've just seen Aguero score three and your opinions rarely stretch back further than an hour. We've been very tight at the back this season so if anyone can keep a clean sheet against them maybe it's us.

Again, QPR were all over them and really should have won. It's a very difficult game for City and they can't just come and sit back. They've failed to beat us twice at SMS so far with what I'd consider better City teams and lesser Saints sides. Will be a fascinating game.

I can't see us keeping a clean as They have the best striker in the league and the team who are 3rd are good enough to score 1 goal at our place

Don't be such a pompous, boring ****

Edited by Batman

Clive T - 'a completely different Man City side will turn up at Southampton now' and 'this result may kick start their season' doesn't paper over that their defence is shocking at the moment. Don't know why but Zabelata a shadow of ten player last season. Kompany is a media darling but has also been prone to some howlers and always seems frustrated with colleagues.

Really hard to predict as if they play their best of course will be hard to live with but they haven't been at their best many times.

Last night one player got them out of it with what were gifts. Bayern weakened 10 men with nothing to play for gave them a lesson.

Yes it'll be a tough match but we can get a result. Bayern ran rings round them with slick fast passing and movement and only lost because of casual lapses.

We mustn't stand off them and slip into slow sideways build-up. Their defence is suspect against pace and direct attacks.

Then cut off the supply to Aguero (Morgan and Vic take note), attach Toby to Aguero with leg irons and job done.

I think saints will really be up for this and have probably had their eye on it for some time. It's the first real challenge and test of our top 4 credentials. A win will really beef up our challenge and give us huge confidence going into the next games. However, a defeat won't be the end of the world. I'd take a draw.

City beating Bayern could be a blessing for us. It keeps the distraction of the Champs Lge going a bit longer.

My concern is our last few performances have started to tail off a bit, but I'm putting that down to the way teams have played negative football against us. City certainly wont, they will come for the win and wont be scared to cross the halfway line. This will make the game more open, then we'll see what we're made of.

Not sure if a City win was good or bad for us but, Bayern did not have to win the game and they had 10 men for most of the match.

One thing is for sure though, we need to put in a much better display than we did against Villa.

Aguero was the difference for City, apart from him they looked ordinary.

I think saints will really be up for this and have probably had their eye on it for some time.

Chatting with a group of Villa supporters on the way back to the car on Monday night, their consensus was that we played with an eye on the the City game. They were very well aware of our upcoming fixtures.

That was not how I saw it, but it is interesting to see how other supporters see things.

City beating Bayern could be a blessing for us. It keeps the distraction of the Champs Lge going a bit longer.

My concern is our last few performances have started to tail off a bit, but I'm putting that down to the way teams have played negative football against us. City certainly wont, they will come for the win and wont be scared to cross the halfway line. This will make the game more open, then we'll see what we're made of.

My thoughts exactly.

Typical media getting carried away - they beat a team that had been down to ten men since the half an hour mark 3-2 due to defensive mistakes...it was hardly the performance of the season was it?!

We're capable of howlers, to be fair.

Hardly fair. We've conceded 6 goals in the league this season and no howlers unless you count the goal Villa scored. I honestly think if Fraser had not hesitated he would have blocked that and many would being saying how brilliant it was. One poor decision in half a season aint too bad.

Personally I don't like seeing keepers taking that sort of risk. Looking at the positive on that move (!) I was impressed how in control Toby was. He had the striker covered but quickly stepped aside when he saw Fiorster was committed. Then when he realised the danger he got back to cover the line and was only inches from a world class clearance. We have to hang on to that guy if we can!

Hardly fair. We've conceded 6 goals in the league this season and no howlers unless you count the goal Villa scored. I honestly think if Fraser had not hesitated he would have blocked that and many would being saying how brilliant it was. One poor decision in half a season aint too bad.

Personally I don't like seeing keepers taking that sort of risk. Looking at the positive on that move (!) I was impressed how in control Toby was. He had the striker covered but quickly stepped aside when he saw Fiorster was committed. Then when he realised the danger he got back to cover the line and was only inches from a world class clearance. We have to hang on to that guy if we can!

Yeah i was impressed by Toby in that moment too, which is why conceding was so disappointing. He had Agbonlahor covered & there was no need for Forster reckless charge out. Doubt we'll keep hold of him, so i'll just hope we make the most of him while he is here.

Edited by Baird of the land

How can anyone take seriously someone who is referred to as The Goat and more importantly does not know the difference between there and their:

I've seen enough to know Southampton will not sustain there good form

I hope we prove this "footballing expert" wrong. Still, if he watched us on Monday he will probably be as bemused as most other people about how a team that plays as **** as that is 2nd in the PL.

How can anyone take seriously someone who is referred to as The Goat and more importantly does not know the difference between there and their:

I've seen enough to know Southampton will not sustain there good form

I hope we prove this "footballing expert" wrong. Still, if he watched us on Monday he will probably be as bemused as most other people about how a team that plays as **** as that is 2nd in the PL.

I am always amazed why such people like Shaun Goater, Steve Bull and the ex Pompey 'keeper Knight (and others of a similar ilk) get recognised with Honours and yet MLT gets nothing for all his profile and good works.

Separately, apart form the late defensive errors, I thought Bayern were top class last night, managing to out possess an expensively assembled City side for all the game with only 10 men.

it shows the level we would have to step up to IF we were to make the Champions League

As I saw it too. Only worry is whether CBs will lose a bit of confidence in FF