City Build Up Thread

Wiggles31

Southamptons form is dipping as expected and they are beginning to struggle as we saw in their snatching a late equaliser at Villa. Errors are starting to creep in at the back as we say Monday night and their once rock like defence is starting to look shaky. Man City are due an away win after some patchy form and have such fantastic players they have to click sometime and I think they will on Sunday.

Dorkish prediction Southampton 0 City 4

The thing I'm most looking forward to about this game – in fact, all of the so-called difficult games – is the inevitable writing off of Southampton if we don't get a good return of points. The likes of Man Utd can let in five against newly promoted Leicester without instantly turning into a small team, but if Saints lost against the reigning champions we'll be dismissed as idealistic dreamers, who dared to believe they could cut it at the top. Our season will be over. Nobody will consider that we lost just because … well, that's football, and every team loses eventually. If we lose, it will be because we're not good enough to compete with the big boys and nothing else. I'm really looking forward to that reaction. Not. Here's hoping for a win so we can avoid all that c**p.

Play that team again and we will get murdered. What was Koeman thinking?

You could see what he was thinking it just didn't work. It was always a game where we were going to have a lot of the ball so didn't need 3 defensive type midfielders. If Davis or Ward Prowse were fit they've have started where Long did. It was quite obvious he wanted to get at their patched up back four from the off, try and get an early goal and shatter their fragile confidence. If we'd have scored early we could have had a hatful. As it turned out we were well on top the first 25 minutes, without really creating anything then gave away a sloppy goal from a long punt upfield. As others have said on Sunday it's the game to play cork in a Midfield 3 and he won't use that tactic.

Let's hope Davis is back.
Agreed, and our more familiar formation and winning tactics

If we are serious about fourth place (can't believe I'm writing that!) a win v Utd is more important than v City, but a win against City would be a massive statement and confidence boost going into the next months fixtures, COYS!!

Forster

Clyne - Fonte - Alderweireld - Bertrand

Davis - Wanyama - Schneiderlin

Tadic - Pelle - Mane

Subs: K.Davis, Gardos, Yoshida, Cork, Reed, Long, Mayuka

Saints 2 (Pelle 24, Long 77) Man City 2 (Aguero 6, Lampard 90+3)

Lottery Numbers: 2,18,21,26,30,39

This could be almost anything, I don't particularly 'fear' their attackers, I obviously respect them (and they are a big step up from most of those we have faced this season) but we have a very good back 6 and they have the stats to prove it. Could it be time for FF to step up and pay back for last night's howler? (or will he shrink further into his sometimes nervy paralysis? Guess we'll know quite a bit more about FF after this game). We can match them in the middle f'sure, can we score against their unpredictable back 4 and their often good/sometimes awful keeper? Guess it comes down in part to which City team turns up and after last night's reality check hopefully we can turn up and get back on our previous performance levels. I'll go for a nervy 1-0 with us scoring in the last 10 minutes and then holding on.

This could be almost anything, I don't particularly 'fear' their attackers, I obviously respect them (and they are a big step up from most of those we have faced this season) but we have a very good back 6 and they have the stats to prove it. Could it be time for FF to step up and pay back for last night's howler? (or will he shrink further into his sometimes nervy paralysis? Guess we'll know quite a bit more about FF after this game). We can match them in the middle f'sure, can we score against their unpredictable back 4 and their often good/sometimes awful keeper? Guess it comes down in part to which City team turns up and after last night's reality check hopefully we can turn up and get back on our previous performance levels. I'll go for a nervy 1-0 with us scoring in the last 10 minutes and then holding on.

We might have a few more clues on the answers after their game tonight, if they get dumped out of Europe there may well be a reaction one way or t'other.

Short of an earthquake at Stamford Bridge, no-one stands a chance of catching Chelsea, so Citeh are a team to beat ...if we are serious about finishing " top four ".

We need alternatives to seeing Pelle double-marked, so Long should be selected, and providing we can defend as well (as we have done), we should get a result, but a draw wouldn't be a disgrace, either.

Edited by david in sweden

You could see what he was thinking it just didn't work. It was always a game where we were going to have a lot of the ball so didn't need 3 defensive type midfielders. If Davis or Ward Prowse were fit they've have started where Long did. It was quite obvious he wanted to get at their patched up back four from the off, try and get an early goal and shatter their fragile confidence. If we'd have scored early we could have had a hatful. As it turned out we were well on top the first 25 minutes, without really creating anything then gave away a sloppy goal from a long punt upfield. As others have said on Sunday it's the game to play cork in a Midfield 3 and he won't use that tactic.

Spot on. Only decision is who to start out of long and mane. Just for his pure unpredictability I'd probably go with mane.

Davis probably only just missed out last night, he was a doubt after all. Showed how much we miss him too. Get him back in that midfield 3 with Morgan and Victor and drop one of Long or Mane to the bench. Would love to see Long running at Demichelis off Pelle's knock downs and hold up play, also would this be the first time Wanyama would come up against Yaya? very much looking forward to that if so!

My team:

FF

NC JF TA RB

VW MS SD

SL GP DT

bench: KD, FG, SM, JC, MY, HR, MT

If we have any aspirations of winning the league this is must win we cannot afford to drop further behind Chelsea!

We have no aspirations of winning the league.. That's why, for us, this game is kind of like ''pressure is off''. We accumulated 26 points after 12 games, that's bloody remarkable to be honest. Let's just go into this game and see what happens, if we lose, we lose. We've given ourselves a huge platform to full back on to ensure we can still be in the top 6 hunt.

The extra 2 days rest worked well last night.

Ah but there it was the same for both teams except that we have about a milllion internationals and they probaby have about 2. Looked to have had a distinct effect on both

Mané and Long actually, don't know how much Long played in the 2 Irish games though but Mané played twice. Citeh play tonight in a game they must win, won't be easy and they might get knocks, either to their pride or their physical integrity or both which might be handy. Nasri first I hope, dangerous little crapper..

Edited by Window Cleaner

Forster

Clyne - Fonte - Alderweireld - Bertrand

Davis - Wanyama - Schneiderlin

Tadic - Pelle - Mane

Subs: K.Davis, Gardos, Yoshida, Cork, Reed, Long, Mayuka

Saints 2 (Pelle 24, Long 77) Man City 2 (Aguero 6, Lampard 90+3)

Lottery Numbers: 2,18,21,26,30,39

Apart from the lottery numbers, for which thanks, its really useful to have the time of the second Man C goal as the team now know they have to keep possession during added on time to change the outcome.

This. Fair play to Roko for trying to adapt even if it did not work. We did look a tad unbalanced but Villa's gameplan (credit due it worked for them dull as it was!) caused us issues.

Quite fancy our chances in this one, infact I fancy our chances against all the big boys at SMS - bar Chelsea.

Citeh aren't all that, they have their weaknesses and we can exploit them.

If we can make sure that Aguero doesn't get any service they will have lost a huge amount of threat.

Would say drop Mane after that performance against Villa but he might get more joy against a more attacking full back.

He's clearly going to be a hit and miss player.

Hope Davis is fit for this one.

I'd say Shane Long was just as poor as Mane. We definitely need to go back to 3 in midfield and one of the 2 back on the bench. Hoping they get properly roughed up by Bayern tonight. 5-0 or so.

Truly amazed that it hasn't sold out, even with Citeh surprisingly failing to sell out their allocation.

A sure sign that ticket prices come into play for many people when the game is on The TellyBox. Wonder if it wasn't on Sky whether it would have sold out?

I think somebody mentioned on The Villa build up, maybe Live TV games sould be reduced entry fee and any gate revenue subsidised by the crazy TV revenue.

Edited by ericofarabia

Truly amazed that it hasn't sold out, even with Citeh surprisingly failing to sell out their allocation.

A sure sign that ticket prices come into play for many people when the game is on The TellyBox. Wonder if it wasn't on Sky whether it would have sold out?

I think somebody mentioned on The Villa build up, maybe Live TV games sould be reduced entry fee and any gate revenue subsidised by the crazy TV revenue.

Well if it wasn't on a Sunday and now clashing with my sons tyro league game there would be two more there.

They look so mentally weak. Defence panics, outmuscled on crosses.

Wont be happy with anything but a win really. Hope they come back to beat Bayern, then enjoy the praise and get complacent yet again.

We weren't great last night against Villa, City are playing one of the top 3 teams in the world tonight. We will more than likely lose to City, but a draw or better would be an absolutely incredible achievement.

We weren't great last night against Villa, City are playing one of the top 3 teams in the world tonight. We will more than likely lose to City, but a draw or better would be an absolutely incredible achievement.

On the other hand they haven't beaten us at home the last two seasons and we are (arguably) a better team this season and they are (arguably) not as good as the last two seasons. I'm more confident of getting a result against city at home than I am of Arsenal away.