Harrison Reed - Official: Signs for Fulham

washsaint

Why do you think that? Koeman has involved Reed with the first team (at training and matchdays) a lot more than most other 20 year old central midfielders in the Premier League.

Choice or necessity? Koeman's been a bit sniffy about Reed's distribution. Decent player with room to grow - never let us down when he's been asked to fill in. Loan would be a good idea at a club that's strong on youth development.

Edited by shurlock

Why do you think that? Koeman has involved Reed with the first team (at training and matchdays) a lot more than most other 20 year old central midfielders in the Premier League.

Not speaking for Batman here but Ronald has always seemed hesitant to put Reed in there from the start on match days even when we are short due to injuries/suspensions. Last year it happened when he played Toby there instead when we were missing Vic or Morgan and at the start of this season he has played Davis back there as well when Reed has been available.

The fact that this is not the natural position for either player while it would be for Reed suggests that Koeman thinks he still isn't first team ready. What other clubs do with their 20 year olds is irrelevant to Reeds position. The fact that Romeu has been signed to bolster that position and is seemingly set to go straight ahead of him in the pecking order also supports the theory that he is not highly rated. When Clasie returns from injury he will be fourth choice - 5th if Koeman prefers Davis there so you can see why he might want to go on loan to get game time.

Wouldn't have lost 3-0 on Saturday if Reed had played instead of Long, Tadic or Davis.

IIRC, many on here had him down as MOTM when we beat them 3-0 in December and that was without either Morgan or Vic, though we also went 5-3-2/3-5-2 that day.

He's better than Clasie at the moment IMO. Arguably better than Davis in the DM role also.

Must be something that Ronald doesn't rate in him at the moment.

As Clasie currently has in leg in plaster, I would hope he is.

Apart from that, are you really suggesting he is a better option than a fit Clasie, who has played at the WC finals for Holland ?

Just to highlight why I think Koeman doesn't think Reed is first team ready - Reed started only 5 Prem games for us last season...

Everton (Home) - Won 3-0 - Neither Morgan or Victor were playing. Played more of a 5-3-2 formation.

Newcastle (Away) - Won 2-1 - None of Morgan, Victor or Toby played.

Swansea (Home) - Lost 1-0 - Neither Morgan or Toby played.

West Ham (Home) - Drew 0-0 - Neither Morgan or Toby played.

Leicester (Away) - Lost 2-0 - Only Morgan was missing.

So in total 2 wins, 1 draw, 2 losses, 2 clean sheets. Out of the 3 other players who had been played in the CDM position that season - Victor/Morgan/Toby - at least 2 of them were missing in the games Reed played with the exception of the loss to Leicester when Morgan still wasn't available and Reed would have been the obvious replacement (note: Cork played in no games with Reed last season either which is why he wasn't included in the above stats).

Basically we had to be missing at least 2 players (3 if you include Cork) before he was given a chance with one of them potentially being a CB who would have been given the nod ahead of him if available. With Clasie and Romeu now being brought in and Koemans seeming preference for playing Davis (whether out of position as a CDM or changing formation so a second CDM isn't needed) it suggests to me that Reed isn't in line for a lot of game time even though his was a position where we needed depth the most.

My point was that Clasie doesn't look physically ready yet, although I've only seen very little of him. To play DM you have to be able to put yourself about, I'm not sure Clasie has that in him, although I'm eager to see. It will be interesting to see what happens when everyone is fit in the midfield, especially if Romeu makes a good impact over the next few games.

If Davis plays as a CM, then we have to play 3 CM's as he's not good enough defensively for him to play as a DM with Mane/Tadic/JRod as the player in behind the striker.

Could we play the below...would it be too defensive? Would Davis be a better "link" than Clasie?

-------Romeu---Wanyama--------

-------------Clasie-----------------

Tadic-------------------------Mane

-------------Pelle-------------------

My point was that Clasie doesn't look physically ready yet, although I've only seen very little of him. To play DM you have to be able to put yourself about, I'm not sure Clasie has that in him, although I'm eager to see. It will be interesting to see what happens when everyone is fit in the midfield, especially if Romeu makes a good impact over the next few games.

If Davis plays as a CM, then we have to play 3 CM's as he's not good enough defensively for him to play as a DM with Mane/Tadic/JRod as the player in behind the striker.

Could we play the below...would it be too defensive? Would Davis be a better "link" than Clasie?

Oh he must be able to "put himself about" number of yellow cards he got last season would tell you that, it might also suggest to you that he doesn't do it particularly well...then again all DMs get yellow cards by the packet.

Perhaps you missed the last bit, the conclusion. You were going to highlight why Ronald does not think Reed is ready.

Ok bad choice of wording on my part. I can't speak on Koemans thoughts on Reeds abilities or why he wouldn't think he'd be ready but I think what I put clearly shows that Koeman believes there are a number of players ahead of him at the moment.

Think I should also be careful when I say how Koeman 'Rates' him and similar. Just because he hasn't given him much game time doesn't mean he thinks he's a bad player just that he prefers other options currently. He's got plenty of time to improve which is why a loan away if he's not gonna get much time here is a good idea.

I've seen people post a line-up like this on here before, which always struck me as weird. Clasie has always been the most defensive of the defensive midfielders at Feyenoord and the dutch national team. He's rarely gotten to the opposition box in his play so far.

Don't get me wrong, it might turn out great, he has good distribution and a decent shot, but he's never played there or in a similar role before.

I've seen people post a line-up like this on here before, which always struck me as weird. Clasie has always been the most defensive of the defensive midfielders at Feyenoord and the dutch national team. He's rarely gotten to the opposition box in his play so far.

Don't get me wrong, it might turn out great, he has good distribution and a decent shot, but he's never played there or in a similar role before.

i'd not take suggested line-ups any too seriously if I were you, people just make them up and fit their personal favourites or some costly player in any old where without taking in to consideration his attributes or previous experience. FM is the bane of our age.

He has more assists than our other Dmf's that was my reckoning any ways!

In Dutch football..we all saw just how mediocre their better teams are when we played Feyenoord and Vitesse.

I mean Memphis was the bee's bollorks at PSV but he looks a bit average for Utd so far.

Yet Tadic and Pelle looked mustard first half of last season?

I think mostly it's out of blind hope that he'll create more there than the current incumbents in that position. From his cameo last weekend, I'd be surprised if Romeu lost his place alongside VW any time soon - he seems to have a combination of physical presence, concentration and reasonable mid-range passing that make him a bit of a cut-price Schneiderlin. Clasie on the other hand has a reputation for hard work, defensive tenacity & excellent passing that at least, on paper, make him sound like an upgrade on our current first choice 3rd CM, who has the hard work but not the passing quality. It doesn't happen often, but occasionally players do get signed with a different position in mind (e.g. when Man Utd signed Anderson he was being hailed as the new Ronaldinho, but they converted him into a defensive midfielder).

Disappointing if true but its clear Koeman won't give him a proper chance, so its probably best he gets away.

Hopefully Clasie gets fit soon as i'm no fan of the mediocre Romeu in that role.

Mediocre? He was our best player last night his only crime is he is not Morgan. Written off after 1.5 games brilliant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disappointing if true but its clear Koeman won't give him a proper chance, so its probably best he gets away.

Hopefully Clasie gets fit soon as i'm no fan of the mediocre Romeu in that role.

Well done on giving him one entire match.

Strange how people see the game differently from each other. Not just slightly, but massively so. I thought, like some others, that Romeu looked good last night. Agree with Give it to Ron, that he was our best player last night - I know that that is subjective, but he looked calm and assured there. I think that he might be a really good signing. His only "crime" might not be that he isn't Morgan, but that he isn't English like Reed.

Reed is a cracking little player. As neat and tidy as Romeu looked last night I cannot see what he offers that Reed can't. Strange business.

Well for one thing it finally looks like we have a centre mid that can shoot. I also think he had a good game and it wasn't easy for him as all we did was launch it

Everyone slating Romeu.. He was solid last night, didn't put a foot wrong and it's only his first real game after training with the team. He's quite clearly not Morgan or on his level otherwise Chelsea wouldn't of let him go for 5m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd agree with that. We are not going to fill Morgan's boots anytime soon, but this guy could get close enough.

Don't think you really understand do you. Romeu looks very good (better than expected when replacing a top class player who has left), and he and Clasie will both (eventually) be in the team.

Strange how people see the game differently from each other. Not just slightly, but massively so. I thought, like some others, that Romeu looked good last night. Agree with Give it to Ron, that he was our best player last night - I know that that is subjective, but he looked calm and assured there. I think that he might be a really good signing. His only "crime" might not be that he isn't Morgan, but that he isn't English like Reed.

Romeu was probably our best player last night. He also changed things massively on Saturday when he came on. Not bad for someone straight in the team. He will probably never completely replace Morgan, people need to understand that Morgan is really a world class player, there are not many of his standard around so how can you replace, but Romeu is not too shabby. Only down side is that he has picked up 2 yellows already, though to be fair neither were warranted. Picking up a yellow early in a game does have a detrimental effect, having to play with a bit of caution subsequently. Will be good to see him play without a card hanging over his head. That said Morgan was not exactly unfamiliar with cards of various colours. It goes with the territory.

Romeu was probably our best player last night. He also changed things massively on Saturday when he came on. Not bad for someone straight in the team. He will probably never completely replace Morgan, people need to understand that Morgan is really a world class player, there are not many of his standard around so how can you replace, but Romeu is not too shabby. Only down side is that he has picked up 2 yellows already, though to be fair neither were warranted. Picking up a yellow early in a game does have a detrimental effect, having to play with a bit of caution subsequently. Will be good to see him play without a card hanging over his head. That said Morgan was not exactly unfamiliar with cards of various colours. It goes with the territory.

As good as Morgan was for us, I think World Class is pushing it a bit. He is still not a shoe-in with the French side. Players that good, Zidane for example, are the first name on the team sheet. Maybe he will eventually become World Class but at his age I think it is unlikely. Quality player clearly though.

A real shame the academy boys are being farmed out again. Doesn't seem as important to Koeman as it did previous managers.

Or another way of looking at it is the quality isn't the same as it was (chambers/shaw). And we've moved up a notch.

As good as Morgan was for us, I think World Class is pushing it a bit. He is still not a shoe-in with the French side. Players that good, Zidane for example, are the first name on the team sheet. Maybe he will eventually become World Class but at his age I think it is unlikely. Quality player clearly though.

You say that but judging by what theit manager says about playing for big clubs, it's that fact that he 'isnt the first name on the team sheet' rather than his ability

Well for one thing it finally looks like we have a centre mid that can shoot. I also think he had a good game and it wasn't easy for him as all we did was launch it

He had a good first half but faded second. Whilst he likes a pop from a range where he's unlikely to score , he's ill disciplined. His yellow was harsh but the tackle didn't need to be made. He pushed his luck after that and was very lucky to stay on. The ref played an advantage rather than blowing up in the second half when he hauled the man down. Had the ref blown it was a certain second yellow. Don't get me wrong, he looks decent but I'm not persuaded that he offers more than Reed could .

He had a good first half but faded second. Whilst he likes a pop from a range where he's unlikely to score , he's ill disciplined. His yellow was harsh but the tackle didn't need to be made. He pushed his luck after that and was very lucky to stay on. The ref played an advantage rather than blowing up in the second half when he hauled the man down. Had the ref blown it was a certain second yellow. Don't get me wrong, he looks decent but I'm not persuaded that he offers more than Reed could .

Reed isn't ill disciplined? You missed the u21 final then! The World Class Morgan wasn't exactly squeaky clean was he.

He's at ManU now, he will be. You underestimate the man.

You say that but judging by what theit manager says about playing for big clubs, it's that fact that he 'isnt the first name on the team sheet' rather than his ability

World Class is players like Ronaldo, Messi, Zidane etc. Morgan doesn't sit in with that type of player yet. Being at Manchester United might help his cause but you can hardly be World Class if you are not a regular for your national team.

World Class is players like Ronaldo, Messi, Zidane etc. Morgan doesn't sit in with that type of player yet. Being at Manchester United might help his cause but you can hardly be World Class if you are not a regular for your national team.

Essentially there you said only two players of this generation are world class and thats it.

Reed is a cracking little player. As neat and tidy as Romeu looked last night I cannot see what he offers that Reed can't. Strange business.

He'll need plenty of game time under his belt as I think he'll play a lot more next season when the next batch of Saint leavers go (i.e Wanyama).

It will be interesting to see where Clasie will play as a few have put him in front of a DM pairing... will he be the transition player with his accurate passing turning defence into attack?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Harrison Reed