Harrison Reed - Official: Signs for Fulham

washsaint

Or another way of looking at it is the quality isn't the same as it was (chambers/shaw). And we've moved up a notch.

Possibly, but we didn't sign anyone to push Shaw down the pecking order when he first came into the squad, which we quite easily could have done when we were promoted with Danny Fox as first choice. That gave him an opportunity to grow into the team which Reed hasn't been afforded: the 'pathway', as the club puts it.

The coaches know what their qualities are better than us, but I do think signing two new central mids when only one has left locks Reed out unfairly when he's shown himself to be more than capable.

Same with Sam Gallagher, who was knocking on the door of the first team under Pochettino but, albeit partly through injury/bereavement, isn't anywhere near it under Koeman.

No football fan cares that much as long as the team's doing well, but it is rather a shame.

Edited by DuncanRG

Reed isn't ill disciplined? You missed the u21 final then! The World Class Morgan wasn't exactly squeaky clean was he.

What's (the not world class) Morgan got to do with a comment about Romeu!? Odd.

Possibly, but we didn't sign anyone to push Shaw down the pecking order when he first came into the squad, which we quite easily could have done when we were promoted with Danny Fox as first choice. That gave him an opportunity to grow into the team which Reed hasn't been afforded: the 'pathway', as the club puts it.

The coaches know what their qualities are better than us, but I do think signing two new central mids when only one has left locks Reed out unfairly when he's shown himself to be more than capable.

Same with Sam Gallagher, who was knocking on the door of the first team under Pochettino but, albeit partly through injury/bereavement, isn't anywhere near it under Koeman.

No football fan cares that much as long as the team's doing well, but it is rather a shame.

To be honest, Shaw was on a different level. It didn't take him too long to knock Fox out of the team, which he eventually did. Whilst Reed and Targett look decent players, they don't look at the same level as Shaw for e.g, and they're a lot older too.

You'll get stellar crops through, and then not so good crops of players. I don't think Reed is a bad player, but he's not amazing. Solid, but unspectacular. Same as Gallagher really, not the most exciting crop.

To be honest, Shaw was on a different level. It didn't take him too long to knock Fox out of the team, which he eventually did. Whilst Reed and Targett look decent players, they don't look at the same level as Shaw for e.g, and they're a lot older too.

You'll get stellar crops through, and then not so good crops of players. I don't think Reed is a bad player, but he's not amazing. Solid, but unspectacular. Same as Gallagher really, not the most exciting crop.

Reed is the best player to have come through our academy according to Uncle Les. Interesting comment to make about a player who is being shown little confidence when it comes to first team opportunities. Always thought that was an interesting yet slightly strange comment.

It wouldn't take Reed long to take the place of an underperforming player either, this is my point! He's got Romeu, Wanyama, Clasie, Davis and arguably Ward-Prowse in front of him while Shaw only had Fox. Shaw may not have made the team at all that year if we'd signed a left back to match the quality of Clyne. His talent wouldn't have changed, but his ability to develop it would have been stifled.

Whether Reed or others are that class or not I have no idea, but we'll never find out if they don't play. That said, Derby are a good side and it would be great for Reed if he could play regularly.

It's also worth noting that Reed's position is one of the hardest for a youngster, while Shaw and Chambers played in the easiest.

Edited by DuncanRG

Strange how people see the game differently from each other. Not just slightly, but massively so. I thought, like some others, that Romeu looked good last night. Agree with Give it to Ron, that he was our best player last night - I know that that is subjective, but he looked calm and assured there. I think that he might be a really good signing. His only "crime" might not be that he isn't Morgan, but that he isn't English like Reed.

Well for me personally he's played one and a half games and probably should have been sent off twice. So his cattermole vibes aren't impressing me much.

Didn't think he was particularly special on Thursday. Once again it was centre mids going walkabout that gave them a goal.

Miles off Cork let alone Morgan imo based on admittedly small sample of games. Personally its not the issue that he's foreign, but just being better than Davis who isn't a defensive mid isn't a cause for wild celebration in my eyes.

Good post . My thoughts exactly.

If the club thought Gallagher and Reed were good enough to be front line players then we wouldn't sign others to "push them down the pecking order". That is the entire point of the academy.

It's pretty obvious that Gallagher is not good enough and probably won't ever be. Reed I thought was going to come through this season but I expect the club aren't quite seeing it yet.

We're not in League One any more, and players like Shaw will continue to be the exception - he is the only one of our youngsters who has come through in the Premier League for us since Wayne Bridge. It's rare.

If the club thought Gallagher and Reed were good enough to be front line players then we wouldn't sign others to "push them down the pecking order". That is the entire point of the academy.

It's pretty obvious that Gallagher is not good enough and probably won't ever be. Reed I thought was going to come through this season but I expect the club aren't quite seeing it yet.

We're not in League One any more, and players like Shaw will continue to be the exception - he is the only one of our youngsters who has come through in the Premier League for us since Wayne Bridge. It's rare.

Don't Bale, Theo and Ox count?

Well for me personally he's played one and a half games and probably should have been sent off twice. So his cattermole vibes aren't impressing me much.

Didn't think he was particularly special on Thursday. Once again it was centre mids going walkabout that gave them a goal.

Miles off Cork let alone Morgan imo based on admittedly small sample of games. Personally its not the issue that he's foreign, but just being better than Davis who isn't a defensive mid isn't a cause for wild celebration in my eyes.

No it wasn't centre mid going walkabout it was a crap header into a place you shouldn't! Why keep on about Cork he also had some rubbish games and took longer than the 1.5 games you have given Romeu!

Admit it you have just decided you don't like him because he is not Morgan or Cork . To compare him to Cattermole is ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many times have you actually seen Gallagher play?

Despite the claims on here we did try and sign a left back in our first season back. The deal for Buttner was so far down the line the deal agreement was announced on the Arnhem website and Buttner was openly talking in the press about how excited he was to come here. The deal then feel through and Man U nipped in, but the fact we tried to sign him in the first place suggests saints weren't confident Shaw was either ready or able to make the step up at that time, he hadn't actually played a league first team game before we got to the premier league. fox started the season as first choice but it was clear he was out of his depth. To a certain extent we got a bit lucky and Shaw was able to make the step up. It's pretty clear those at the club didn't see him as first choice left back when the season began otherwise they'd have started him as it and not tried to sign another one.

So despite people thinking we are doing everything possible to block 'the pathway' for youngsters what we don't do is throw them into the first team and let the sink or swim. Any player that wants to be a regular in the starting line up now will have to be top half premier league standard and at or not far off international level, as we can field a first team of international players now. So that's the challenge for the and clearly means the pool of players coming through is going to be smaller. If we want them to stay with us then The challenge we have is producing players of that level but not good enough so they get snapped up by the top 6 clubs the minute they break into to the side.

T

No it wasn't centre mid going walkabout it was a crap header into a place you shouldn't! Why keep on about Cork he also had some rubbish games and took longer than the 1.5 games you have given Romeu!

Admit it you have just decided you don't like him because he is not Morgan or Cork . To compare him to Cattermole is ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No it wasn't it was the fact the midfield decided to congregate in the bottom corner for a town meeting and left their centre mid in acres of space when the clearance came out of the box.

Don't see why comparing him to another similar defensive mid in cattermole ridiculous?

Cork certainly didn't take time to settle, it was apparent immediately how good he was.

My issue is that if we are going parachute in this type of player they should be better than the academy player they are blocking.

I'm not seeing that yet, where it was completely obvious in Morgan/cork's case.

T

No it wasn't it was the fact the midfield decided to congregate in the bottom corner for a town meeting and left their centre mid in acres of space when the clearance came out of the box.

Don't see why comparing him to another similar defensive mid in cattermole ridiculous?

Cork certainly didn't take time to settle, it was apparent immediately how good he was.

My issue is that if we are going parachute in this type of player they should be better than the academy player they are blocking.

I'm not seeing that yet, where it was completely obvious in Morgan/cork's case.

It was so immediately apparent that it only took us three years to make our minds up after his loan ended.

I think a loan move to a Championship team that is expected to be challenging for promotion, is a good and sensible step in a young players development.

We can't expect players to go from under 21's and a handful of Prem appearances straight into a Prem starter. Players who can do that are the exception, not the norm.

If you look at the likes of Chelsea and even maybe Man U, they have a clear step in their development process where a player goes out on loan.

I would rather send a player out on loan than have him struggle in our team and have his confidence shredded.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Reed is the best player to have come through our academy according to Uncle Les. Interesting comment to make about a player who is being shown little confidence when it comes to first team opportunities. Always thought that was an interesting yet slightly strange comment.

I don't understand what you mean. Reed's pathway to the first team is clear as far as I can see. Wanyama's contract hasn't and won't be renewed as the board have already got sweaty palms over next summers sales.

Spot on as per usual Mr Fry, seen enough of Gallagher and Reed to form an opinion now, Gallagher for me doesnt look good enough for the level we are aiming at, certainly isnt ready to feature yet, best thing the club can do is get him some game time at a reasonable championship club and see what develops.

Reed certainly can do a job but he isnt reliable for the game Koeman wants to play full time, he just isnt expansive enough yet. Again get him to the right club and he may well develop into a tidy little player but he isnt there yet. Its only really Targett and JWP that look ready right now from the academy, and Im not completely won over by Targett yet.

Christ, without mane and in that formation the team even on paper looks like relegation battlers. Awful. Some really poor decisions from koeman this season. How do long and Davis keep getting in?

Playing into watfords hands. Please take a cb off and put Rodriguez or juanmi on.

No tadic, jwp, mane or Ramirez makes creating anything wo unlikely. Can't believe we're not in for a decent creative player.

I expect he'll do that on 60 minutes when the oppo are tired.

• 2 weeks later...
It was so immediately apparent that it only took us three years to make our minds up after his loan ended.

wasn't that because our favourite smarmy big nosed cant was managing watford at the time and stole him on loan for the second half of the season due to his relationship with chelsea and the player?

Do the Championship still have the emergency loan window thing that opens next week?

I didn't think Reed would go and I am pleased he hasn't. I'm hoping he may have played himself into the first team by the end of the season, in advance of Victor being flogged to Tottenham next summer.

Where are Derby getting all their money from? £10m spent today on players. Have clubs seen the ease at which QPR had their fine drastically reduced and now decided to spend regardless?

Yeah, what is with that? They've spent about £20m in the window. £10m on two today, Ince was signed for around £6-7m, and they've added a few other's I can't remember right now. Quite ambitious, especially with the new manager they have who is also apparently on a decent wedge. This is obviously the gamble of all gambles.

Also, the Bradley Johnson move is odd. Norwich's player of the season last year, 16 goals from midfield, vice captain, loved by Norwich fans. They've bemused that they've let him go and not replaced him. Money talks there I guess, £7m!

Yeah, what is with that? They've spent about £20m in the window. £10m on two today, Ince was signed for around £6-7m, and they've added a few other's I can't remember right now. Quite ambitious, especially with the new manager they have who is also apparently on a decent wedge. This is obviously the gamble of all gambles.

Also, the Bradley Johnson move is odd. Norwich's player of the season last year, 16 goals from midfield, vice captain, loved by Norwich fans. They've bemused that they've let him go and not replaced him. Money talks there I guess, £7m!

Maybe because he didn't cut it last time they were in the Premier League? I can't remember how well he did but they did go down.

The new TV deal kicks in next season so some of the bigger Championship clubs (Derby, Middlesbrough) are spending big this season in the hope of getting a slice of that £££ next season. I suspect that those clubs relegated into the Championship at the end of this season will receive an awful lot of money in parachute payments next season, so getting promoted will be even harder from then on.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't understand what you mean. Reed's pathway to the first team is clear as far as I can see. Wanyama's contract hasn't and won't be renewed as the board have already got sweaty palms over next summers sales.

Do you really think that the club would rather sell Vic than keep him?

Nightclub in Worthing???

What do they do there, have Horlicks raves, watch Strictly Come Dancing all night and then have a snooze?

:lol:

We even have modern sh*t n' stuff.........like internet.

Anyway, Harrison is a Worthing lad and likes a mug of Horlicks or two. Apparently.

Reed ...like several others in U21's .... have proven themselves at that level, and even been tried (if not tested so much) in the Prem.squad.

The next step is harder. If they are to be considered "serious contenders" for first team selection, they need more experience. Matty Targett DAJFU, but he's no Bertrand.

Loan-outs depend on a number of things; but namely a club willing to give them a real chance of real game time at another level.

Turnbull and Stevens were both regulars (on merit) in Swindon's side last season and they narrowly missed promotion to the Championship.

Turnbull is still there as a regular, but Stephens gets only an occasional few minutes as late sub. at Middlesbrough and often doesn't even make the bench.

In his defence, it should be said that 'Boro are doing well in the Championship with much more experienced players so that doesn't help his progress just now.

Likewise Sam Gallagher's injury / personal problems have set him back since 2014, but hopefully he'll get more game time at MK Dons (let's face it they need it).

as this thread is about Harrison Reed ...he seems more popular with fans than he does with Koeman, but then again he's got a lot of competition to overcome, and might only get game time if (heaven forbid) ....we had a major injury crisis like last winter. He really does need a loan out, because if he is to be seriously considered for the first team then he needs more than U21 outings against teenagers. He will undoubtedly develop...in 2 or 3 years, but what to do with him until then?

In my mind....there are serious issues about his disciplinary / behaviour, and it's not only his hair-colour that reminds me of Paul Scholes and although he may be a very nice guy off the pitch - so too were Scholes ....and David Prutton :scared: Reed really needs to pay attention to this. Red cards potentially indicate big trouble.

Maybe if he likes Worthing so much ...a few months with Brighton's up-and-coming squad could be a benefit to him?

If the tales about his being out on the razzle dazzle are true, then someone in the academy, perhaps, LR and RK need to have a sensible chat with him as he is probably flirting with going off the rails. Young man played a few times in the first team and acquitted himself well yet doesn't seem to be able to grab a regular position. It must be pretty frustrating and a recipe for a "whats the point attitude".

Be a shame to let a nipper like that, who has never looked phased or out of place in the 1st team games he has been tossed into, just fizzle out.

Great cross field 30 yard diagonal run and cracking first time shot in off the far post from outside the area v Reading in last U21 game. Yet to be replicated by JWP or Davis.

I know his goal was good but his overall play against Reading wasn't great, I thought he gave the ball away even when not under any pressure and I was of the opinion that I wouldn't feel confident with him in the first team.

From The Secret Footballer:

One player who I really like is Harrison Reed. Another 20-year-old English midfielder with abundant determination and bags of energy currently being kept out of the side by Ward-Prowse, another English midfielder.

When was the last time that happened at a top English club?

About a month ago, I took a call from the chief executive of a top-half Championship club asking me what I thought of Reed and whether or not the club should try to get him on loan.

I told him that I was surprised that he was available for loan. “He isn’t … yet,” came the reply. I wasn’t surprised, he won’t be. Not to the Championship, anyway.

And behind Ward-Prowse and Reed, there are other stars in the making at St Mary’s Stadium, English ones for that matter.

Sam McQueen, Jake Flannigan, Dominic Gape, Jason McCarthy and Matt Targett are all ready to come through and play professionally at one level or another. It’s impressive and predictable.

http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/articles/the-secret-footballer/28604/jose-mourinho-suffers-and-spouts-rubbish-after-creating-his-own-problems/#slide-2

I think it would be good for him to go out on Loan to a decent Championship side for a few months provided he plays, for me he has reached a point in his development where some real game time in competitive matches will really bring him on.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Harrison Reed