Utd Build Up Thread

Wiggles31

How long do you keep playing someone who isn't performing to the best of their ability if there are other players who could do a better job in the squad?

That's a difficult question. He needs ten games or so before he can start to get back in the groove but during those games he is going to miss a few chances.

My daughter just showed me a clip of the tackle and jeez that was a bad tackle : /

Got to feel sorry for the lad.

But was it a bad tackle?

The injury sounds awful but it seems to have been a robust but fair tackle. Sometimes it is easy to forget now that things are more sanitised, that football is a contact sport and thankfully these type of injuries aren't too common.

I'm sure we can show him our support with a chorus of his old song. Truly horrible injury for the lad. I'm glad we don't have to play against him but not in these circumstances.

The one we sign for Shane Long now...?

This is one of the considerations when selling a teenager for large money.... Not nice at all.

I think it's safe to say that if we'd kept him he wouldn't have broken his leg V PSV tonight. It's not like it was an underlying injury just waiting to happen.

Why does it matter? It's not like he would have much else to do.

I'm still trying to work out if it was him or a PR rep and what the protocol was - you'd expect a double leg break to be taken to a hospital or private clinic, but Van Gaal said he was "crying in the dressing room" which must have been after the match.

So he didn't leave the stadium, which may be fair enough as UEFA Elite stadia probably have some top medical facilities in them. They may even have wanted him to travel back with the team. Being still in the area near his possessions kind of explains how he was able to get his phone, but doesn't really cover the stuff about being in screaming agony yet coherent enough to tweet, or at least possibly dictate a tweet which seems a fair bit more intelligent than his usual output.

Fortunately there's already a thread about this.

I'm still trying to work out if it was him or a PR rep and what the protocol was - you'd expect a double leg break to be taken to a hospital or private clinic, but Van Gaal said he was "crying in the dressing room" which must have been after the match.

So he didn't leave the stadium, which may be fair enough as UEFA Elite stadia probably have some top medical facilities in them. They may even have wanted him to travel back with the team. Being still in the area near his possessions kind of explains how he was able to get his phone, but doesn't really cover the stuff about being in screaming agony yet coherent enough to tweet, or at least possibly dictate a tweet which seems a fair bit more intelligent than his usual output.

He was taken to St Anna Ziekenhuis hospital ahead of the Club flying back to Manchester [source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34268531]

He was taken to St Anna Ziekenhuis hospital ahead of the Club flying back to Manchester [source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34268531]

Any idea how long after the match that happened? Seems weird to me that he'd get carried off in the first 20 minutes and still be around to be upset in front of the manager (unless that was half time). He sure as hell didn't walk to get his gear from the changing room either, so guessing his representative(s) got all that together for him.

I can just see parks players getting loaded into the ambulance yelling instructions about which jeans their mobile is in...

Clattenburg as ref & Friend as 4th ref on the line doesn't bode well.........................................................

Therefore 2-1 to the rags unfortunately.

Think we have won a maximum of 2 games when he is in charge. Some great stats you can find on the Web of our first season back in the PL that suggest him & Howard Webb made more mistakes in favour of opposition than is within the standard deviation of what you would regard as normal. In other words, it questioned their neutrality to Saints.

He was absolutely shocking at Stoke last season too.

So Blind at left back I guess? Disrupts the whole defence, maybe Rojo in. We can get at them. Hope he leaves Schneiderlin out again, that'd help.

Just don't want to see us letting Rooney find form. They have attacking options but not hugely convinced by any so far.

Rooney's nursing a dodgy hamstring, if he gets through the warm up we should spend 10 minutes "accidentally" miscontrolling balls for him to stretch for. Though if Martial's pace is the alternative maybe we'll be better off just letting him harumph around the place.

I think Man Utd will manage their way to a win. We'll have our chances but I am not convinced we'll take them - if we were in better form in front of goal I'd fancy us more. Does anyone know what our chance conversion rate is like compared to the rest of the league?

We're third in shots taken, you don't really need much more data to work the rest out for yourself!

(Though as it happens I am plugged Whoscored.com data into a spreadsheet for a second).