Utd Build Up Thread

Wiggles31

I think one of the most depressing things about this season, (Just to give some perspective, my prediction has been that we finish 12th-14th), is that we probably aren't going to trouble or give much of a bloody nose to any of the big clubs as we have done for the past two-and-a-half seasons.

We're in the Aston Villa/Newcastle-ish kind of bracket of being just about good enough to stay up, but simply having too weak a squad to not be effortlessly brushed aside by the big four/six.

I wouldn't be remotely surprised if we don't get a win in any of our matches against the big four. I'd be happy eking out a point or two here and there.

I think one of the most depressing things about this season, (Just to give some perspective, my prediction has been that we finish 12th-14th), is that we probably aren't going to trouble or give much of a bloody nose to any of the big clubs as we have done for the past two-and-a-half seasons.

We're in the Aston Villa/Newcastle-ish kind of bracket of being just about good enough to stay up, but simply having too weak a squad to not be effortlessly brushed aside by the big four/six.

I wouldn't be remotely surprised if we don't get a win in any of our matches against the big four. I'd be happy eking out a point or two here and there.

Thanks, ScepticalStan.

One thing that definitely won't be happening is us being "effortlessly brushed aside". Koeman will set us up very hard to beat. Our problem will be the same as last year, creativity in the final third.

Can see nothing more than a 1-3 loss on current form. There's always a chance to turn the form around, but if we can't score against a poor WBA then Utd are going to walk all over us. I would play Wanyama and Romeu together as DM's. Davis is an enigma as he can be good, but if we want something from this game we REALLY need to have someone more creative and with some form of goal threat.

Can see nothing more than a 1-3 loss on current form. There's always a chance to turn the form around, but if we can't score against a poor WBA then Utd are going to walk all over us. I would play Wanyama and Romeu together as DM's. Davis is an enigma as he can be good, but if we want something from this game we REALLY need to have someone more creative and with some form of goal threat.

I think we have to focus on shutting them out, and then look for one on the break or from a set piece with Mane/Pelle. Tadic is more than capable of creating something and Mane can create something out of nothing. Keep a clean sheet and see what happens.

The thing about WBA is they played with 10 men behind the ball happy to let us have the ball and then shut down any space in the final third.

Man u won't play that way against little old Southampton so I actually think we have more chance of scoring next week. Might not win be I expect it to be a better game than WBA game with both sides wanting to play.

I like him, I think we're a better side when he plays, you just need to get the balance right around him, he's not going to win a game on his own, but he can certainly help not lose it.

More than happy for him to start the majority of games, even if he doesn't stay on. IMO him and JWP are fighting for one place, it's when they both play where we seem to have a problem.

I don't think he is the same player of a couple of years ago. Seriously average for a player in such a key position.

Don't think he will play much when Clasie is fit.

----------------- Steklenberg -------------------

Cedric ---- Fonte --------- VvD ------ Targett/Bertie

-------- Wanyama ------- Romeu --------------

--- Mane ---------- Juanmi ------------- Tadic ---

--------------------- Pelle -----------------------

I like that. but for some reason, Juanmi cant get a look in.

Be amazed if ron all of a sudden throws him in from the start

It is odd that Juanmi hasn't been used more. He has always looked very tidy and composed in the short appearances he has made.

I doubt he will start this weekend (probably Wanyama, Romeu and JWP in midfield is my guess) but hopefully he gets a start against MK Dons and makes himself un-ignorable.

I would go with:

Stek

Cedric - Fonte - VVD - Yoshida

------Wanyama---Romeu----

--------------JWP------------

Mane--------------------Tadic

-------------Pelle-------------

Bench: Gazza, Targett, Caulker, Davis, Juanmi, Long, Jay Rod

It is odd that Juanmi hasn't been used more. He has always looked very tidy and composed in the short appearances he has made.

I doubt he will start this weekend (probably Wanyama, Romeu and JWP in midfield is my guess) but hopefully he gets a start against MK Dons and makes himself un-ignorable.

An opinion from a player is that he is very talented and will be a huge success for us, but isn't yet strong enough physically for the PL. Seeing him day in day out gives a better picture than any of us here have. I suspect the League Cup followed by longer periods on as a sub will be the route that the club take to get him to the level they believe he needs to be at. He is very highly regarded though.

An opinion from a player is that he is very talented and will be a huge success for us, but isn't yet strong enough physically for the PL. Seeing him day in day out gives a better picture than any of us here have. I suspect the League Cup followed by longer periods on as a sub will be the route that the club take to get him to the level they believe he needs to be at. He is very highly regarded though.

That is good to know. Was thinking it was a Les signing that Koeman wasn't happy with. Hope he gets his chance.

This. Finish the season between 18th and 14th.

We won't play 4-4-2 and I'd be shocked if we played 4 such attacking players. It'll be Pelle and 2 out of Mane, Tadic and J-Rod I would've thought.

------------Stek

Cedric Fonte VVD Bertrand(Targett)

--Wanyama ---Romeu

------------Davis

Mane-----------------Tadic

------------Pelle

I do wonder how much of Romeu's dropping in favour of Vic, was trying to assimilate him back into the squad after his head going missing for a while? OR/JWP vs Norwich worked well, admittedly against 10 men, as JWP's being a little deeper helped and his passing and distribution seemed better than in past games.

I also expect after the CL game that Man U have, for the press to start bringing out the rivalry stories between LvG and RK. Nothing like bigging this up to try and sell the televised game.

I do wonder how much of Romeu's dropping in favour of Vic, was trying to assimilate him back into the squad after his head going missing for a while? OR/JWP vs Norwich worked well, admittedly against 10 men, as JWP's being a little deeper helped and his passing and distribution seemed better than in past games.

I also expect after the CL game that Man U have, for the press to start bringing out the rivalry stories between LvG and RK. Nothing like bigging this up to try and sell the televised game.

With Virgil at the back i'm not sure we need to Ward-Prowse distribution, he seemed capable of pinging the ball around and was looking for the full backs making runs.

i'm surprised this game hasn't sold out yet - have seen it mentioned that Season ticket holders cannot buy additional tickets which may explain that partly. I can't see there being many games this season when the season ticket buy back option will be available.

Well you'd hope that we're not in the Newcastle'ish bracket, a truly awful side defensively.

When you look at the dross we have played bar Everton, we are going to have to get some points versus United, Swansea and Chelsea to avoid being in the bottom 5 after 8 games. So definitely havent capitalised on playing 4 poor sides in the first 5 games.

We have the players to do it though.

Would go with Wanyama, Romeu and Davis with Mane and Tadic either side of Pelle and good attacking sub options.

When you look at the dross we have played bar Everton, we are going to have to get some points versus United, Swansea and Chelsea to avoid being in the bottom 5 after 8 games. So definitely havent capitalised on playing 4 poor sides in the first 5 games.

We have the players to do it though.

Would go with Wanyama, Romeu and Davis with Mane and Tadic either side of Pelle and good attacking sub options.

Actually it would be kind of nice if this is our **** period followed by a really strong end to the season. Last couple of seasons we've started well and the end of the seasons have become a bit of an anti climax as we've faded. Wouldn't mind trying the other way out and finishing the season strong.

Actually it would be kind of nice if this is our **** period followed by a really strong end to the season. Last couple of seasons we've started well and the end of the seasons have become a bit of an anti climax as we've faded. Wouldn't mind trying the other way out and finishing the season strong.

Indeed. Although come April the likes of Mane, Wanyama, Martina etc may become unsettled by where they will play next season.

We definitely need to improve though now we will face some decent sides.

Won't happen due to the nature of our selling policy.

If last year's Champions League outsiders managed to put in 5 insipid away performances at the end of the season despite the possibility of getting into Europe's Premier club competition, I can only imagine what this year's lot are going to be like with nothing but upper mid-table honours to play for and a pending transfer to not get injured for.

Dont get why some are including Bertrand in there desired/predicted line ups? He only returned to full training on Monday and has had no preseason. At least 2-3 weeks away from being match fit for PL assuming he features for u21's and in Lge Cup during that time.

Incidentally I think it was odd that he had operation at the end of June given it was on both knees which must have been known about for a while by both player and club. I can only think he didnt want to pull out of England squad and slip pack down the pecking order.

----------------- Steklenberg -------------------

Cedric ---- Fonte --------- VvD ------ Targett

-------- Wanyama ------- Romeu --------------

--- Mane ---------- Davis ------------- Tadic ---

--------------------- Pelle -----------------------

Subs: Gazza, Bertrand/Yoshida/Caulker*, JWP, Juanmi, Long, Jrod

(*2 out of 3 depending on Bertrand's fitness)

I'll be interested to see if we play a more attacking front 4 to try and give Morgan something to think about (if selected). We've seen Rodriguez through the middle already, can't see why Mane/Rodriguez/Tadic would be a problem if Romeu/Wanyama sit.

Could also Yoshida-up the LB position, though Targett was fine on Saturday and he actually came on for Cedric when it became obvious that Cedric wasn't able to get forward anyway so we may as well use a more defensive player.

Would really prefer Jrod to start. Once he gets confident (as he 2 seasons ago) and starts running at defences he's a real threat. Would love to see that against what is still a weak back four for United.

Sent from my D2403 using Tapatalk

dont they have a very good defensive record though?

Unfortunately with Man U playing CL match tonight in Holland and our game not till Sunday, no advantage gained for us unless PSV turn into a bunch of cloggers instead of Cloggies, and crock a few Utd players!! It's probably as quick to get to Eindhoven as it Southampton!!

Presumably once they've played their match tonight, the press can get their teeth into The LVG V Koeman rivalry again. Hopefully Koeman will be trying extra hard to get one over on the obscenely large foreheaded gimp.

Smalling has been the best CB in the league, and I can't name two full backs better than Darmian and Shaw currently

Disagree, but either way I think getting Rodriguez running at defenders is crucial to us going forward this season

Disagree, but either way I think getting Rodriguez running at defenders is crucial to us going forward this season

But has Rodriguez looked likely to do that in any of his appearances so far this season?

I'd rather have an attack of Mane, Pelle and Tadic, with link-up from Davis.

But has Rodriguez looked likely to do that in any of his appearances so far this season?

I'd rather have an attack of Mane, Pelle and Tadic, with link-up from Davis.

Rodriguez always gives the impression of thriving off confidence. Would like to see if he could get that through a sustained run in the starting line up