Sunderland v Saints. Build-up Thread

Lets B Avenue

He doesn't have the attacking instincts to play that position IMO apart from in games where you just want to sit back and are happy to reduce your level of attacking threat.

Not creative enough in his movement, touches or passing.

I don't think that's an entirely fair judgment. Look at his stats and yes, he's short of Davis, Mane and Tadic but not much and doesn't play with the regularity or attacking instruction of the others. I'm sure Davis' game must influence JWP and an only help his future options for us.

I don't think that's an entirely fair judgment. Look at his stats and yes, he's short of Davis, Mane and Tadic but not much and doesn't play with the regularity or attacking instruction of the others. I'm sure Davis' game must influence JWP and an only help his future options for us.

Its not a question of fair or not. In 100 games he hasnt shown a lot to suggest he can make it in the PL as an advanced midfielder who will trouble other teams.

Ask Matic, Cattermole, Surman, Yacob, Schneiderlin or Can and all would say they would prefer to face JWP as a "no10" than Mane or Davis.

He isnt that type of player. He is a deep lying playmaker who at the moment isn't strong enough or aggressive enough to play that role as a first choice unless he played in either a slower league, or in a team having 70% possession every game.

Academy players should definitely be pushed into the team, and JWP IMO has been given a lot of game time relative to his performance. But right now he isn't effective enough to be a starter in our team when everyone is fit.

Harrison Reed, not Romeu for me. Romeu will probably play though, pick up a booking in the first twenty minutes for being a slow-motion Schneiderlin and then get subbed off for JWP at half-time. Reed done a brilliant job at Toon last year and I reckon him, Clasie and van Dijk could pretty much dominate that midfield.

---------------------------------Stekelenburg

-Bertrand---------------Fonte-------------------Yoshida---------------Cedric

-------------------Clasie------------van Dijk-----------Reed

-Tadic-------------------------------------------------------------------Mane

------------------------------------Pelle

this is a really good line up if Sunderland decides to place the goal they are defending at the half-way line.

Sunderland manager Sam Allardyce:

"We have got to learn the lessons of going gung-ho. That's what we did (in last week's 6-2 defeat at Everton) - we said, we'll go and win it, and we've got to be more responsible.

"We're not in a position where we have to win our next game - we are more in a position where we must not lose it.

"If we get a point then we should respect it, because another point after that will eventually lead to a win and that breeds confidence.

"If you continue to go for a win and end up losing, then you're in a pickle."

Sounds like Big Sam's boys are going to sit back and play for the 0-0 draw to me.

Personally think JWP will be a better player than Clasie, also would prefer JWP to be playing most weeks, or he'll be off. Club needs to show it'll prioritise youth products if the standard between the player is very little IMO.

Even if it means weakening the starting 11? That's very brave. Have we got 40 points already? No, you play your strongest team, and that doesn't include JWP at the moment.

"We have got to learn the lessons of going gung-ho. That's what we did (in last week's 6-2 defeat at Everton) - we said, we'll go and win it, and we've got to be more responsible.

"We're not in a position where we have to win our next game - we are more in a position where we must not lose it.

"If we get a point then we should respect it, because another point after that will eventually lead to a win and that breeds confidence.

Sounds like Big Sam's boys are going to sit back and play for the 0-0 draw to me.

If so, I'd be tempted to play Ramirez, as he is one of our most creative players that could break down a Sunderland team set up to defend. S. Davis is undropable at the moment IMO becuase of current form, so I would slot him into the defensive midfield place, to play a more attacking game.

Stek

Cedric Fonte Van Dijk Betrand

Davis Romeu

Ramirez

Tadic. Pelle. Mane

If so, I'd be tempted to play Ramirez, as he is one of our most creative players that could break down a Sunderland team set up to defend. S. Davis is undropable at the moment IMO becuase of current form, so I would slot him into the defensive midfield place, to play a more attacking game.

Stek

Cedric Fonte Van Dijk Betrand

Davis Romeu

Ramirez

Tadic. Pelle. Mane

Got to stick with the previous starting XI, but with Romeu in for VW. If that team struggles to break down a Sunderland side set out to pinch a 0-0 (and well they might - Davis has done well to get in the goals this season but I still don't see him as anything more than a water carrier creatively) then it would be good to have Ramirez on the bench as an option with 30 mins to go.

In the airport bar on the way to Newcastle. All the ales are off so I'm having to drink horrible lager while they play Snow Patrol. This sort of bad start to the weekend can only mean we'll lose. It's barely even worth me getting on the plane now.

Bus has been parked already, and it's not even reached the car park!

Sunderland's formation this week: 6-3-1

Bus has been parked already, and it's not even reached the car park!

Sunderland's formation this week: 6-3-1

This.

But I'd like to think we're still good enough for the win. If they sit back and defend it should allow us to commit more attacking threat. 2-0 saints.

We'll shock everyone by playing well for fully 70 minutes, before letting them back in by sitting too deep and inviting pressure. Hoping for 3 goals before that point. VvD to score and get MOTM. Sunderland 1-3 Saints

This.

But I'd like to think we're still good enough for the win. If they sit back and defend it should allow us to commit more attacking threat. 2-0 saints.

I'd like to think this season we might be better at breaking down opposition who sit back and defend.

Last season we just couldn't do it, relying on opposing sides 'gung-ho' tactics to gain big wins (ref: Villa, Sunderland).

We're a bit more canny this year.

Edited by 5string
added a word, dontcha know!

Whilst I predicted the first hammering of the season last week - it really could happen at Sunderland today. If we can put together a performance of two halves we could easily get a bunch - sadly we'll probably be great for 1 half and then switch off.

2-0 saints.

Harrison Reed, not Romeu for me. Romeu will probably play though, pick up a booking in the first twenty minutes for being a slow-motion Schneiderlin and then get subbed off for JWP at half-time. Reed done a brilliant job at Toon last year and I reckon him, Clasie and van Dijk could pretty much dominate that midfield.

That said, that would mean we would have to start Yoshida alongside Fonte. :uhoh:

**** it, I'd take the risk.

---------------------------------Stekelenburg

-Bertrand---------------Fonte-------------------Yoshida---------------Cedric

-------------------Clasie------------van Dijk-----------Reed

-Tadic-------------------------------------------------------------------Mane

------------------------------------Pelle

Subs; Davis, Caulker, S Davis, JWP, Romeu, Juanmi, Ramirez.

(assuming Rodriguez, Long aren't fit)

With each post that you submit, especially after your summer 2014 outbursts, you lose more and more credibility. Are you seriously suggesting this team? No Davis even though in his best form for ages? Yoshida at CB even though VVD fit? VVD out of position in midfield? Harrison Reed to start when previously been nowhere the team? Words fails me

Its not a question of fair or not. In 100 games he hasnt shown a lot to suggest he can make it in the PL as an advanced midfielder who will trouble other teams.

Ask Matic, Cattermole, Surman, Yacob, Schneiderlin or Can and all would say they would prefer to face JWP as a "no10" than Mane or Davis.

He isnt that type of player. He is a deep lying playmaker who at the moment isn't strong enough or aggressive enough to play that role as a first choice unless he played in either a slower league, or in a team having 70% possession every game.

Academy players should definitely be pushed into the team, and JWP IMO has been given a lot of game time relative to his performance. But right now he isn't effective enough to be a starter in our team when everyone is fit.

Completely agree and saints Garrett to say we should play academy graduates even tho they aren't good enough is a joke right?

Pantilimon

Yedlin - Kaboul - Coates - Jones

Johnson - Gomez - M'Villa - Toivonen - Watmore

Fletcher

According to their forum.

They'll definitely try and pin our full-backs back.

3 points there for the taking. They haven't got that much hard tackling in the middle of the pitch. Clasie's passing from midfield could really open them up. Reckon we need Tadic on the left and Mane right to make the pitch nice and wide when we push forward.

Sunderland AFC ‏@SunderlandAFC

Sunderland XI v Southampton: Pantilimon, Jones, Kaboul ©, Coates, Yedlin, M’Vila, Gomez, Toivonen, Johnson, Watmore, Fletcher.

Sunderland AFC ‏@SunderlandAFC

Subs: Mannone, van Aanholt, Brown, Rodwell, Borini, Lens, Defoe.