Klopp - Early leavers

Saint Garrett

For some people being at the football just seems a chore, don't make any noise, rush out of the ground as soon as they can, almost just going out of habit as much as anything else I guess.

This is it for me. I'm not going to berate people for doing so but it's bizarre. I'm sure plenty of people do have genuine reasons but thousand upon thousand?

The disturbances and the flattening of the atmosphere affect the enjoyment of others so I do understand why people get frustrated.

That would certainly have an effect in my opinion. Taking an age to get over that bridge is a pain in the jacksie.

I don't think it's ever taken me more than 3 or 4 minutes to get up the stairs and across the bridge. How impatient are we becoming?! If it's that much of a problem you can always go past the stairs, through the first underpass you see and come out just a little up the road from the bridge's exit.

Interesting that the article highlights the correlation between price of ticket and likelihood of leaving early. There's a piece in the book "Freakonomics" which is similar - about how people are late to pick their kids up from childcare, and when they are charged $5 when they are late, the number of late parents actually increases.

I wonder if ticket prices being so expensive has shifted the mindset of the supporter so that there is now greater entitlement to feeling entertained, and less a sense of privilege to be part of something.

I don't think it's ever taken me more than 3 or 4 minutes to get up the stairs and across the bridge. How impatient are we becoming?! If it's that much of a problem you can always go past the stairs, through the first underpass you see and come out just a little up the road from the bridge's exit.

It's not just the five minutes, it's the five minutes to shuffle down the stairs of the stadium if you are sat at the back and then actually getting home etc, traffic being awful if you have driven. It's not really for me or you to comment on what someone else finds annoying. If someone has paid a few quid for a ticket and wants to leave a bit early because they find waiting in a near stationary crowd of farting people for 10-20 minutes irritating then it's entirely their choice.

One of he worst things about football these days, easily top 5. It barely ever happened at the Dell apart from a very small number, and if it ever happened on the level we see every week these days it was because the team had been **** and it was a demonstration of your displeasure. Everyone is entitled to support how they want but this is one of the worst things any fan can do when a game is just 90 minutes long and staying for the whole thing was once the norm.

I wonder how many of those who criticise people for leaving a couple of minutes early are the same people who leave their seats 5 mins before half time and get back 5 minutes into second half all so that they can get a pint or two of gnats ****. Or if all those sanctimonious people who complain when someone leaves early don't do this, why are these people who miss 5 mins either side of half time not criticised in the same way?

As it is, I don't really care what people think, and I'll leave whenever I want to. Just like I won't criticise those who do want to leave to get a pint (just something I wouldn't do myself).

I wonder how many of those who criticise people for leaving a couple of minutes early are the same people who leave their seats 5 mins before half time and get back 5 minutes into second half all so that they can get a pint or two of gnats ****. Or if all those sanctimonious people who complain when someone leaves early don't do this, why are these people who miss 5 mins either side of half time not criticised in the same way?

As it is, I don't really care what people think, and I'll leave whenever I want to. Just like I won't criticise those who do want to leave to get a pint (just something I wouldn't do myself).

That's annoying as well, but its not the same quantity. Look around St Marys on the 89th minute of the next home game and its well over a third empty, that's ridiculous.

Both equally bad.

But just thinking "I'll do what I like" indicates a lack of consideration for others and for the team. The number of people who get up to leave early either before half time or 90 minutes then notice something interesting happening on the pitch and stand blocking the view of others is very annoying after disrupting a dozen or so people maybe by trying to get out of their seat. One of the down sides of all-seater stadia. Don't have a problem if people want to leave early, some have got very genuine reasons, but they should crawl out on hands and knees so that they are inconspicuous. :)

Support through thick and thin, with vocal support that lets the team know you give a toss, and until the end regardless of whether your wife has told you you've got dinner on the table waiting, or a sales meeting update you desperately need to wake up early for. If a football team is always your first love, it deserves to be treated as such for the just over 20 times a home match happens out of 365 days a year. Anything else is faking.

Any chance someone could do a search and link the 10-odd other times we've discussed this? :D

Probably going to be fairly tricky as it usually starts in a match thread.

FWIW I don't give a toss if people leave early as long as they don't make me move to do it, and the last time I actually left early was when our 3rd goal went in against Everton on the weekend before Christmas last season, as I had two hours to get to a family meal in South Wales - and with that one we were prepared to stay right to the end but the 3rd late on clinched it and there was no point sticking around.

What if they are one and the same?

My take on it is that if you want to leave early, fine, but just get on with it. The thing that REALLY ****es me off these days is the number of people who "leave" (i.e. go from their seats) and then stand in the aisle all the way down the stand because, actually, they weren't leaving at all, they just wanted to move nearer the exit, and then you're getting in people's way.

Those would be the people who don't want to leave early but really have to be somewhere, it was also me almost every midweek home match of 2001/2.

Also having seen the queues up the Avenue from London Road most Saturday 3pm kick offs even in the Championship I can sympathise with wanting to get away as quick as possible.

Fortunately having sorted our own parking issue I don't have to worry about it any more and I'm in the "home in 20 minutes" club even if I wait. :)

Any chance someone could do a search and link the 10-odd other times we've discussed this? :D

Probably going to be fairly tricky as it usually starts in a match thread.

FWIW I don't give a toss if people leave early as long as they don't make me move to do it, and the last time I actually left early was when our 3rd goal went in against Everton on the weekend before Christmas last season, as I had two hours to get to a family meal in South Wales - and with that one we were prepared to stay right to the end but the 3rd late on clinched it and there was no point sticking around.

I'm sure there will be certain occasions where leaving early is a necessity. I've had to once during an evening game where I got a train and if I didn't make the last one out I wouldn't have got home as an example, but there are some who leave early every game regardless of what's going on which I find a bit bizarre to be honest.

Support through thick and thin, with vocal support that lets the team know you give a toss, and until the end regardless of whether your wife has told you you've got dinner on the table waiting, or a sales meeting update you desperately need to wake up early for. If a football team is always your first love, it deserves to be treated as such for the just over 20 times a home match happens out of 365 days a year. Anything else is faking.

cooper.gif

I'm sure there will be certain occasions where leaving early is a necessity. I've had to once during an evening game where I got a train and if I didn't make the last one out I wouldn't have got home as an example, but there are some who leave early every game regardless of what's going on which I find a bit bizarre to be honest.

Let's put it like this, I shan't be hanging around at the final whistle of Barnet v Newport on December 26th with Saints v Arsenal kicking off at 19:45. :o

Personally I don't see what super important commitments the thousands of people who leave early can all have on a Saturday at 5pm. As said before there will always be a few who really have to be somewhere but the fact is a ridiculous number of fans are streaming for the exits with loads of the game still left.

Those would be the people who don't want to leave early but really have to be somewhere, it was also me almost every midweek home match of 2001/2.

The aisle between blocks 40 and 41 is literally full of people for the entire duration of injury time, that must be at least 100 people just stood in the aisle not going anywhere. They are in absolutely no rush to go anywhere at any point. If they were that bothered about getting out first, they'd either move their season ticket nearer to the front (plenty available down there) or squeeze in next to someone near the exit - that way, they actually do make a quick getaway.

That's a moving speech but if you love Saints more than your family and prioritise it over your job then you're a bit mental.

It's one of the many things that depresses me about English football fans. Of course a few people will have genuine reasons for leaving early but the sheer amount of people who do is just pathetic. If you really can't be arsed to stay and support the team for the full match then why bother coming at all?

It disturbs everyone who is still trying to watch the game, and it absolutely kills any atmosphere at the time in the game when the team will often need it most. 30,000 roaring the side on or half the ground emptying in apathetic silence? It has to have an effect on the players. Well done Klopp for calling out the Scouse fans.

I do a 140 mile round trip for every home game and don't leave early. I really don't understand those that do and live in the city. I mean even with traffic the furthest edges of Southampton are never more than a half hour drive.

It makes no sense at all to me to come and support your side but leave ten mins early whatever.

I mean if I can manage a train ride of over an hour for every game (plus a walk to the station and or pub) but stay till the end why the hell cant you!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a moving speech but if you love Saints more than your family and prioritise it over your job then you're a bit mental.

Feel free to point out the bit where I said I prioritised saints over my family. Go on, please do.

And my concern is that all the I don't care, atmosphere doesn't matter brigade means saints fans are sleep walking into become Arsenal fans. And anything to suggest otherwise is apathetic in itself.

Feel free to point out the bit where I said I prioritised saints over my family. Go on, please do.

Well here to be honest, unless I've misunderstood. :?

If a football team is always your first love, it deserves to be treated as such.

And my concern is that all the I don't care, atmosphere doesn't matter brigade means saints fans are sleep walking into become Arsenal fans. And anything to suggest otherwise is apathetic in itself.

Feel free to point out the bit where someone said, "I don't care, atmosphere doesn't matter." Go on, please do.

So pathetic how precious people feel about their ritual and ways to watch. If someone wants a pint at half-time they leave early. I feel more sorry for the sad fckers who sit in their seat all through ht.

I feel rather sorry for the "sad fckers" who would lower themselves to drink the utter pîss served up as beer just for the sake of having a beer. Never quite understood the mentality of that. If it was decent beer then maybe. (But having said that, I've never really understood the "sad fckers" who drink lager in pubs as it is obvious they have zero taste, so maybe they don't mind buying over priced gnats pîss at half time).

Well here to be honest, unless I've misunderstood]

You've massively understood. Football team being first love does NOT in any way state they are prioritised over family. Read it again.

Feel free to point out the bit where someone said, "I don't care, atmosphere doesn't matter." Go on, please do.

That's a common theme that comes up, hey, it's even written a few times in this thread, not a 'you said or anyone said'. Hope that makes sense.

Anyway, instead of picking on semantics, let's get to some arithmetic.

For just 40 hours a year (bar cup runs) out of 8,760 hours (except for leap years just in case the pedants want to jump on a single point) it would be great if fans stayed until the end of a match and committed themselves to being an active fan instead of a passive one that is making the atmosphere at St. Mary's worse than it could be.

X

For just 40 hours a year (bar cup runs) out of 8,760 hours (except for leap years just in case the pedants want to jump on a single point) it would be great if fans stayed until the end of a match and committed themselves to being an active fan instead of a passive one that is making the atmosphere at St. Mary's worse than it could be.

I'm completely with you on that, it would be fantastic if everyone stayed to the end, the whole ground sung their hearts out and made more noise than Partizan Belgrade playing Hajduk Split.

However, that's just not going to happen. For many people watching Saints isn't a religion, it's just part of their social routine; along with playing squash and taking the kids to the park. You can't be angry at people for that.

So pathetic how precious people feel about their ritual and ways to watch. If someone wants a pint at half-time they leave early. I feel more sorry for the sad fckers who sit in their seat all through ht.

Message board gold, moaning about people Knocking others, then knocking others themselves.

Lets face it most people who leave early are not going anywhere special, what do they really need that half an hour for. People should just chill out and stroll home what are we all rushing for.

I feel rather sorry for the "sad fckers" who would lower themselves to drink the utter pîss served up as beer just for the sake of having a beer. Never quite understood the mentality of that. If it was decent beer then maybe. (But having said that, I've never really understood the "sad fckers" who drink lager in pubs as it is obvious they have zero taste, so maybe they don't mind buying over priced gnats pîss at half time).

I drink the cider - slightly better

Message board gold, moaning about people Knocking others, then knocking others themselves.

Lets face it most people who leave early are not going anywhere special, what do they really need that half an hour for. People should just chill out and stroll home what are we all rushing for.

Retaliation young man

Both equally bad.

But just thinking "I'll do what I like" indicates a lack of consideration for others and for the team. The number of people who get up to leave early either before half time or 90 minutes then notice something interesting happening on the pitch and stand blocking the view of others is very annoying after disrupting a dozen or so people maybe by trying to get out of their seat. One of the down sides of all-seater stadia. Don't have a problem if people want to leave early, some have got very genuine reasons, but they should crawl out on hands and knees so that they are inconspicuous. :)

And lick my boots on the way past ;)

Have any of you early leavers ever missed a goal?

I only ever left a game early once. It was a 2-2 draw away at Fulham and I didn't get to see any of the goals! I'd had a few pints before the game and as the game was a bit crap, I headed off early at half time for a **** and as I got to the concourse I heard the cheer as Fulham scored. Back for the second half, I was in the ground when Svenssen scored an own goal but due to our position in the upper tier, I couldn't see the goal line so didn't see the goal! After that, depression set in due partly to the early beer consumption and the fact that we were 2 down and playing crap so I left early on the basis that I was going to a mates birthday party that evening so thought I might as well get there on time. As I left the ground I heard a cheer from the away end as Beattie scored and as I got to the station, I heard another cheer as we equalised on 90 minutes. I've never left a game early since. [emoji1]

I only ever left a game early once. It was a 2-2 draw away at Fulham and I didn't get to see any of the goals! I'd had a few pints before the game and as the game was a bit crap, I headed off early at half time for a **** and as I got to the concourse I heard the cheer as Fulham scored. Back for the second half, I was in the ground when Svenssen scored an own goal but due to our position in the upper tier, I couldn't see the goal line so didn't see the goal! After that, depression set in due partly to the early beer consumption and the fact that we were 2 down and playing crap so I left early on the basis that I was going to a mates birthday party that evening so thought I might as well get there on time. As I left the ground I heard a cheer from the away end as Beattie scored and as I got to the station, I heard another cheer as we equalised on 90 minutes. I've never left a game early since. [emoji1]

My mate Kev, no longer with us, a bit ****ed at Charlton away, was texting as we scored, he missed the goal and he was concentrating on texting so much he didn't notice the celebrations. He didn't really believe we had won until he saw it confirmed in writing.

I must apologise in advance. Having said that I haven't left a game early since 2003, I do need to leave about 15 minutes early during the Stoke game as I'm going out that night and have to be in P****mouth of all places by 7pm via home first. I can provide a note from my mum if necessary.

Talking of leaving early ... There are a group of 4 or 5 people in the middle of the row I sit in who leave 5 minutes early during every game and as there are a few of them it takes even longer for them to get past particularly when the front one always slows down to say goodbye to his mates that sit in the row behind. They don't even wait for a break in play. Bit annoying.

I will never understand why people get angry about other people leaving. I normally stay till the end but on the odd occasion when I do leave early it's entirely my choice. If they name the stadium easier to exit then everyone would stay.

The Easier To Exit St Mary's Stadium? I thought Friends Provident was bad.

I guess everyone has the right to leave early if they wish, however being at the end of an aisle I miss a good proportion of the last part of a game because a bunch of knoobs decide to drift slowly to the exit. There are not enough exits - perhaps there should be exits at the rear of stands also so the top half can exit that way which would share out the flow.