Norwich V Saints Post match despair...

saint lard

I thought we had turned the corner after the Arsenal win but that appears to have been just a false dawn the number of chances we created today and at West Ham we should at least have got four points from those two games. I don't know what the answer is and I am starting to wonder if Koeman, players and training staff do either.

When Victor gave away the stupid free kick, I said to my son, for gods sake take Victor off NOW and put Harrison Reed on.

Head in hands when Vic gets sent off.

Then we take over 5 minutes to make the changes in which time they score!

I am usually a positive poster, but today I was so angry at RK decision making

I thought we played pretty well to be honest and were in total control up until the Wanyama red card. We passed it better than I have seen for a while and won a lot of second ball. Tadic and Bertrand posed a real threat down the left and Martina, who was strong throughout (showing how weak Soares is) offered great width on the right.

We didn't create loads, but Norwich had a lot of men behind the ball, so not easy. Wanyama will obviously be blamed for the defeat, and boy was it a stupid red, but in addition to that you have to look at the absolutely woeful finishing by Long when one on one with the keeper. At this level you have to be taking those sort of chances. And that's our problem, we just don't have enough quality in the striker department.

Norwich looked a poor side. Maybe we made them look like a poor side, but having done so we need to be winning that game. For me, we should have won the last two games, so it's very frustrating.

This is the game I watched...Norwich crowd were dire is all I'd add.

Sat on the train home trying to be objective , but it's ****ing hard.

2 poor sides , but one had every single player doing all he could for the cause and we had 2 or 3 going through the motions & one shamefully unprofessional on the pitch & one off it . Steve Davis worked his socks off today , can Tadic say the same? JWP looked like he was playing in his slippers & the centre halves shakey again . I thought Bertrand was poor .

Complete lack of mental strength to concede when their tails were up like that . Classie nutmegged by a big lump , shocking . Worrying signs that Jose is tipping over the hill imo .

**** blaming the board , The buck stops with Koeman . Tadic, VvD, Classie are his signings , he picks the side dictates the tactics , makes the substituations ( poor again today) . If we don't match his ambitions or if he thinks we're not big enough or spending enough he can **** off , and we will get someone else in .

I don't mind losing , **** me I'm used to it being 50 , but give all for my club . Too many prima donnas , and I don't see Ron kicked their arses

no matter how people try and justify it, long is a long way off from a £12m striker.

The bloke is all effort and no skill, composure or finesse. Chances to goals ratio must be absolutely shocking. Glaring miss against Palace, glaring miss today, 2 glaring misses against Arsenal (didn't see Wham but sounds like there was one there too). Sadly it simply is not good enough to put in all action displays and then **** up all the chances your hard work earns you.

2 poor sides , but one had every single player doing all he could for the cause and we had 2 or 3 going through the motions & one shamefully unprofessional on the pitch & one off it . Steve Davis worked his socks off today , can Tadic say the same? JWP looked like he was playing in his slippers & the centre halves shakey again . I thought Bertrand was poor .

Complete lack of mental strength to concede when their tails were up like that . Classie nutmegged by a big lump , shocking . Worrying signs that Jose is tipping over the hill imo .

**** blaming the board , The buck stops with Koeman . Tadic, VvD, Classie are his signings , he picks the side dictates the tactics , makes the substituations ( poor again today) . If we don't match his ambitions or if he thinks we're not big enough or spending enough he can **** off , and we will get someone else in .

I don't mind losing , **** me I'm used to it being 50 , but give all for my club . Too many prima donnas , and I don't see Ron kicked their arses

I can't agree about Davis thought he was very poor today.

Yes - refused to travel for their CL qualifier in Sweden ahead of his move here.

But it's ok cause he did that to join us and not leave us. Obviously.

It is what it is.

what I do find funny with stuff like this is when Les Reed comes out and states that we scout players for a very long time before they come to saints. We check that not only are they good enough to start (with youth team players filling the gaps) but they have the right temperament and values for the 'southampton way'

:lol:

I agree Chez.

We're having one of those spells were not alot goes for us, we not exactly being smashed during our defeats, mostly losing by the odd goal and looking the equal of Man City and Spurs when we played them IMO. We nearly got back to 2 - 2 against city before they got their 3rd and we had a bad 5 mins against Spurs. If we had converted a few more chances and cut out some defensive mistakes the whole situation would be so much better, but you don't get points for being 'nearly' men. and as for the Westham goals u know when the football gods are against you. Today it was definately a mistake to not replace Wanyama after 60 mins with his yellow card and Mane coming on at the same time after serving 60 mins punishment!!

I think that we have the players and manager to be comfortably in the top 8 of the league but the team spirit doesn't seem as good this season which in the past has made the team better then the component players, RK needs to find a way to get the players firing again.

My fear is that losing these winable games gradually saps confidence more and more into a downward spiral which gets increasingly diffucult to pull out from. I was hoping that it had changed after the Arsenal mtch and the 1st half v Westham.

I would also like to see our youngsters being given more of a chance at least on the bench ready to come on as Reed did today, I'm not sure that a succession of relatively cheap foreign players with little allegiance with saints is the way forward whilst blocking progression. This shouldn't be the Southampton Way.

Come on you Saints, next 3 matches at St Marys lets put in Arsenal match performances and turn this season around.

Don't log onto these boards anymore because of the crap some people write, it's good to see some people still have some common sense though!!

Two good posts and how I see it

Don't log onto these boards anymore because of the crap some people write, it's good to see some people still have some common sense though!!

Two good posts and how I see it

what do you expect? we have LOST 7 of the last 9.....not just won once in the last 9 with a few draws. but LOST 7 of 9

that is more than just a spell.

Not that long ago at The Dell, fans would be going mental about it.

We played fantastically against Arsenal using the good old 4-4-2 which RK seems to hate.

So we resort to 4-5-1 again and struggle.....

Why do we keep f...ing about with the formation, when something works?

Long with Mane playing off of him. Tadic on the left, davis right, and select 3 from 4 of our undynamic defensive non goal scoring midfielders. JWP/Clasie/Vw/Romeu with a grand total of 1 goal between them this season. It is the way to go against poor sides like Norwich. We are so bloody defensive minded away from home. That comes from the manager? We should be going for teams like Norwich, they were crap at St Mary's, and we treated them with too much respect. We always treat teams away with too much respect. We have become negative and unadventurous this season (Arsenal/Chelsea games excepted).

We struggle to convert chances. We knew that last year and the year before. Our chances to goals ratio is pants. I thought signing Juanmi in the summer was a step in the right direction - the guy has never started a Prem game for us. Why sign him if he doesn't play?

January is the wrong time for signing players. Who is going to sell a decent striker half way through the season? At best they will be overpriced...The summer is the time for transfer business, so new signings get chance to have a pre-season with their new team, and a chance to gel. The club that bit very wrong if we are crying out for a striker now....

People keep saying Charlie Austin. He was injured again yesterday and didn't make the squad. He is injured a lot this season. He has said he won't leave in January because he is up for a huge move in the summer on a free. We wouldn't stump up the wages the would he would want anyway - as I believe RK said - he is too expensive. Also, if he is such a dead cert sure fire success, why did no one sign him in the summer.....?

So where do you find a 12 goal striker in January that a team will sell? Over to the experts here....and hopefully at the club!

I don't think we will be relegated. I believe we will finish mid-table. We just need the manager to know his chosen starting 11 and stick with it, and not keep tinkering every game.

Bring in the youngsters people keep saying on here - you'd like to think that the coaching staff who see these players every day in training know best here. Hence they are not in the first 11, or even the squad usually. If the team are struggling the last thing a young player needs is to be thrown in with the weight of expectation on their shoulders. Targett got a run earlier in the season, and we all saw that he is not a patch on Bertrand, and were all very relieved when RB got back from injury.

The line up today was just so negative and slow, against Arsenal we were the opposite! Formation is the difference, players are the same. Be positive RK, go after teams, don't sit back and respect them. Norwich and many of the others are not to be feared!

Go for it. COYR!

Mark

We played fantastically against Arsenal using the good old 4-4-2 which RK seems to hate.

Long with Mane playing off of him. Tadic on the left, davis right, and select 3 from 4 of our undynamic defensive non goal scoring midfielders. JWP/Clasie/Vw/Romeu with a grand total of 1 goal between them this season. It is the way to go against poor sides like Norwich. We are so bloody defensive minded away from home. That comes from the manager? We should be going for teams like Norwich, they were crap at St Mary's, and we treated them with too much respect. We always treat teams away with too much respect. We have become negative and unadventurous this season (Arsenal/Chelsea games excepted).

We struggle to convert chances. We knew that last year and the year before. Our chances to goals ratio is pants. I thought signing Juanmi in the summer was a step in the right direction - the guy has never started a Prem game for us. Why sign him if he doesn't play?

January is the wrong time for signing players. Who is going to sell a decent striker half way through the season? At best they will be overpriced...The summer is the time for transfer business, so new signings get chance to have a pre-season with their new team, and a chance to gel. The club that bit very wrong if we are crying out for a striker now....

People keep saying Charlie Austin. He was injured again yesterday and didn't make the squad. He is injured a lot this season. He has said he won't leave in January because he is up for a huge move in the summer on a free. We wouldn't stump up the wages the would he would want anyway - as I believe RK said - he is too expensive. Also, if he is such a dead cert sure fire success, why did no one sign him in the summer.....?

So where do you find a 12 goal striker in January that a team will sell? Over to the experts here....and hopefully at the club!

I don't think we will be relegated. I believe we will finish mid-table. We just need the manager to know his chosen starting 11 and stick with it, and not keep tinkering every game.

Bring in the youngsters people keep saying on here - you'd like to think that the coaching staff who see these players every day in training know best here. Hence they are not in the first 11, or even the squad usually. If the team are struggling the last thing a young player needs is to be thrown in with the weight of expectation on their shoulders. Targett got a run earlier in the season, and we all saw that he is not a patch on Bertrand, and were all very relieved when RB got back from injury.

The line up today was just so negative and slow, against Arsenal we were the opposite! Formation is the difference, players are the same. Be positive RK, go after teams, don't sit back and respect them. Norwich and many of the others are not to be feared!

Go for it. COYR!

Mark

I thought that we did 'go for it' today in the first half and looked more like the home team.

I thought that we did 'go for it' today in the first half and looked more like the home team.

You have reminded me of the point I meant to make but forgot!

We have become (other than against Arsenal) a one half team. We can only seem to string one decent half together - usually the first.

Man U, Leicester, Bournemouth, Norwich, West Ham great first halves, disappointing second halves. Why? We just don't seem fit enough. Certainly not as fit as under Pochettino's management spell. We are nowhere near fit enough IMHO. Watch Bournemouth play - they go flat out the whole match. We don't. Why?......

Wanyama should be immediately dropped to train with the kids until he either gets his head sorted out and decides he's a Saints player or he f*cks off.

Same for Mane - he was on the bench through his own actions and the team paid the price for it.

Koeman needs to find an answer damn quick.

F*ck the cup, we need to concentrate on the league and simply be better than three other teams. So far we've drawn against two of the teams currently in the relegation zone- simply not good enough. The board have to take action immediately and ensure Koeman has every resource he needs to keep us up.

Have to agree with you view and go add we have no midfield combo. Koeman doesn't know his best midfield.

You have reminded me of the point I meant to make but forgot!

We have become (other than against Arsenal) a one half team. We can only seem to string one decent half together - usually the first.

Man U, Leicester, Bournemouth, Norwich, West Ham great first halves, disappointing second halves. Why? We just don't seem fit enough. Certainly not as fit as under Pochettino's management spell. We are nowhere near fit enough IMHO. Watch Bournemouth play - they go flat out the whole match. We don't. Why?......

Maybe we are also a bit naive how we play, with us pushing forward the other team just sit back and snuff out our final 3rd play.

Kasper Schmeichel said a few weeks ago that Leicester success (so far) was in part due to them (words to the effect of) 'sitting back and letting the other team have possesion until it breaks down and then counter on the break'. Some of our goals against Arsenal were of this ilk, so we do have the speed of attack in the right situations. Our play seems so predictable and slow a lot of the time that the opposition just pack the final 3rd and we rarely find a way to unlock them, and when we do we miss goal chances or make the wrong pass or shoot decision many more times than we should.

I thought Bertrand was poor .

Really? I thought he got up and down the line well and was our best attacking threat. Maybe that left a few holes, but with two holding midfielders he is meant to get forward. the volley he went for was shanked, but he did terrific to get into that position.

On a positive note Reed played well.

Absolutely. I don't wanna join in any Ronald-bashing but I really don't see why he's not been involved too much since the Newc away game last year, does the simple things well and deserves a good run IMHO. Did more in 11-odd mins today than Victor all season, Arse aside.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Really? I thought he got up and down the line well and was our best attacking threat. Maybe that left a few holes, but with two holding midfielders he is meant to get forward. the volley he went for was shanked, but he did terrific to get into that position.

Seemed almost to be playing left-wing for large swathes of the game, with Clasie covering at LB :-s

Did get forward well, but his deliveries were poor compared to what he was serving up regularly last season... does seem to be a touch of 'England-itis' with him as we've seen with the likes of Lallana, Clyne et al before him...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

He got into some decent positions but repeatedly and wastefully hit the first man. His corners were more of a threat.

The reaction after their goal was telling, heads down, shuffling back to their positions. No player was cajoling, encouraging or scolding the others.

If this team gets into a relegation dogfight do they have the grit to get out? I don't think so.

Lost 7 of 9 and beaten by a poor Norwich team. Our form is relegation standard.

Could only listen to bits of the game on Solent but it sounded like another case of failing to take chances, losing grip after a dominant period and the added problem of the red card. Is that about right?

We had dominant spells. But only really two chances. Long has to score and a header he put to the ground which bounced up and the keeper turned over.

Clasie had a decent shot from distance and Bertrand shanked a volley in a good position.

But we never tested their keeper in the whole 2nd half, again.

But they also shanked a couple of very good chances in the 1st half when VvD was all over the place

We just never looked like scoring and just regressed more and more in the 2nd half.

Koeman never looked like changing but did, not when Vic was sent off but after they scored.

Those changes needed to have happened way earlier.

It was like everything we did very well against Arsenal was thrown in the bin

Edited by Batman

what do you expect? we have LOST 7 of the last 9.....not just won once in the last 9 with a few draws. but LOST 7 of 9

that is more than just a spell.

Not that long ago at The Dell, fans would be going mental about it.

You fill up page, after page on here with your dross regardless, it doesn't matter how well we're doing.

Why was Mane late for the meeting anyway? I have heard the argument that there is never an excuse for being late but that is clearly ******. What do you do if someone carts their Ford Escort in the middle lane of the M27 and there is a 5 mile tailback to contend with? Leave half an hour earlier? Every time? Do me a favour. If we knew why Mane was late it would enable us to be a bit more objective over the decision to bench him.

Why was Mane late for the meeting anyway? I have heard the argument that there is never an excuse for being late but that is clearly ******. What do you do if someone carts their Ford Escort in the middle lane of the M27 and there is a 5 mile tailback to contend with? Leave half an hour earlier? Every time? Do me a favour. If we knew why Mane was late it would enable us to be a bit more objective over the decision to bench him.

The meeting was today at Norwich according to Ronald, two hours before kick off. Its really difficult to see any reason why he was late, he was already at the team hotel or training base or whatever. I think they travelled yesterday, two hours before the match he wasn't still on the M27 or in Southampton.

This. If Wanyama wants out, let him go and get someone better in quick.

Only if we get a good offer. Otherwise, that would just be rewarding his petulance.

On the way back now. Still pretty annoyed to be honest. Real low point and I would say the first time I'm actually pretty worried for this season. We looked every bit the lower - mid table team today that we are and very few signs of the team we were last season at all.

Mane. If he was late and keoman was sending a threat then fair enough. But we were crying out for him from about 25 minutes. We had nothing in attack at all, which made our missing chances even more annoying, and let's face it, is a massive trend in our matches nowadays.

As always, we did absolutely zero in the second half. Literally nothing at all. It was so poor it was untrue

Wanyama. Get rid. Had enough of him now, and not just on this game alone. He's been pretty naff all season and seems to have so much less of an impact

Stek - 6. Didn't have to do much and no chance for the goal

Martina -6. solid, very unspectacular.

Fonte - 7. Decent game

VVD - 7. handled their big guy well.

Bertrand 8. Probably our best attacking threat

Ward-Prowse - 5. Honestly don't know what he does anymore.

Clasie - 7. Really decent game.

Wanyama - 5. Muppet.

Davis - 6. Really quiet by his standards

Tadic - 6. Pretty anonymous.

Long 6. Tried hard, can't fault him that. No support at all.

5 is too generous for that shit Wanyama (agreed with the muppet part). I'd give him 1/10. And let him rot in the reserves for at least the next 10 matches (unless Arsenal make an offer we can't refuse).

We are in deep, deep sh*t....

Whilst I agree that we are really struggling and are currently looking as bad as anyone in the league bar Villa...to say we are in "deep, deep ****" when we are 7 points clear of trouble is a little bit OTT

Go for it. COYR!

Mark

Well yes.. Koeman has the temerity to get things right and goes and changes things around. Too clever at times, just too damn clever.....

Up shît creek, but we still have a paddle somewhere in the boat, if only we can find it.

The trouble is that it's bloody difficult to paddle when you've got one hand holding your nose on account of the smell of the shît in close proximity.

(How long can we keep the analogy going?)

He was our best player IMO. Not saying he was great, which doesn't reflect well on anyone else, but he was the only one of our midfield to come out with any credit.

Not imo. Clasie was much better than him first half .

Could only listen to bits of the game on Solent but it sounded like another case of failing to take chances, losing grip after a dominant period and the added problem of the red card. Is that about right?

Yes but from the hysteria on this forum you would never believe it

We do have some posters who post correct reviews of the game thankfully