Dusan Tadic

Saint Charlie

Anybody remember the film 'Moneyball'.

Don't replace the player, replace and improve the sum contribution.

Moneyball is about finding abilities undervalued by the market and purchasing players with those abilities cheaper than the players you lose / sell for higher money.

It has also never (yet) been proven to work in football, a sport where there are far more dynamics to it than statistical analysis.

The nearest football has got to it is the concept that you sell high and have sophisticated scouting / recruitment techniques that allow you to identify potential and you have an environment where it can flourish which allows you to purchase talent cheaper than you sell it. But every club in football tries this anyway (and did so before Billy Beane made Moneyball famous at Oakland) - the difference is that only a few succeed at it over a decent period of time.

The Sun Football ‏@TheSunFootball

Southampton to open contract talks with Dusan Tadic - to fend off interest from Schalke

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/premierleague/1465019/southampton-in-new-contract-talks-with-dusan-tadic-as-schalke-hover-for-the-serbian-star/?CMP=spklr-_-Editorial-_-TWITTER-_-TheSunFootball-_-20160719-_-Football-_-520083350

His agent Ian Anderson said: “As yet, no agreement about a new contract has been agreed or refused, but talks are scheduled for this week and we’ll see how that goes.

“I’m aware of speculation of possible interest in Dusan from elsewhere, but he is under contract and we’ll see what unfolds at Southampton.”

Everton have kept tabs on Tadic along with Schalke, who are looking at replacements in case Leroy Sane joins Manchester City.

Hard to believe that Everton would be interested or he'd want to go there considering the rumours about his strained relationship with Koeman.

If we were that bothered about improving, we would stop selling our best players to our direct rivals....

It isn't often discussed whether we should only sell to teams who are not our direct rivals, but that would probably mean we only sell to non Premier League clubs since anyone can beat anyone these days. That could mean we don't sell to the highest bidder, which would be an interesting business v success on the field plan

The rumour I saw on one of the aggregator sites on my phone (not this 'ere desktop) was Rafa Silva from Sporting Braga. The Portugal connection makes sense (2+2=5) as he was in the Euro squad alongside Jose and Cedric and he's an attacking midfielder who can play wide? Any opinions?

The rumour I saw on one of the aggregator sites on my phone (not this 'ere desktop) was Rafa Silva from Sporting Braga. The Portugal connection makes sense (2+2=5) as he was in the Euro squad alongside Jose and Cedric and he's an attacking midfielder who can play wide? Any opinions?

I think Fonte mentioned him as a possible recruit a short while back! Or was that Joao Mario?!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

..... v.g on assists......looked good as part of the Pellé /Mané set-up ...(oops :blush:) ....but now perhaps won't be such a good fit for the new Puel strategy.

Forecast.....still just 27.......current international for Serbia.....+2 good seasons with Saints......bought for £11 million (?)....so maybe £18-20 million?

Who knows?

..... v.g on assists......looked good as part of the Pellé /Mané set-up ...(oops :blush:) ....but now perhaps won't be such a good fit for the new Puel strategy.

Forecast.....still just 27.......current international for Serbia.....+2 good seasons with Saints......bought for £11 million (?)....so maybe £18-20 million?

Who knows?

With the money being banded about for bang average players I'd be hacked off if we let him go for less than £25m - he's better than Wijnaldum overall IMO

• 2 months later...
That did look pretty record-breakingly offside to me. Can anyone explain what I missed?

Not even close to David Silva against us in that game J Rod got injured. You could have driven a car through the space between him and the last man. Seem to remember Owen thinking it was onside too.