Zlatan ......

Yorkshire Saint

Not exactly fitting the mo the club seems to go after or the club that Zlatan would play for, but considering Leicester City are Premier League champions I'm not going to rule it out.

Would be hilarious to be honest, but hey if it made Koeman and few other stay, and potentially even attracted other more long term players then yeh for a year £300k a week would be worth it.

It would be good business even just for a season. If Southampton had had a 20 goal plus striker for either of the last couple of seasons, they would have challenged for the title.

Mane will be a 20 goal plus striker next season. He'll probably finish this season on 15 but he's improving all the time and remember he's been played out wide for a lot of games.

Mane will be a 20 goal plus striker next season. He'll probably finish this season on 15 but he's improving all the time and remember he's been played out wide for a lot of games.

That'll be handy for whoever he signs for then.

How many players would we have to get rid of to be able to pay him £300k a week without breaking FFP rules??? Only reason I can think he'd come here is if he fancies a real challenge at winning a league and wants to prove he's the best. Can't see it though :lol:

The funniest thing will be that 50% of those posting are gonna look right embarrased when it either happens or does not happen. Friendships can often overcome any number of issues such as wages etc so I'm not ruling it out but would be as surprised as the Keegan signing if it does come off. Like others have sensibly said, the biggest concern is whether he would actually help or hinder dressing room harmony. Most clubs can handle (and possibly need) one massive ego.

Actually it's 2 people, who look mildly daft already because it isn't going to happen.

If I am right I am bagging ITK status, life time membership.

I have been told by someone close to the Italian media and a Juventus s/t holder that Zlatan Ibrahimović has agreed a summer move to Southampton - on the basis of his exceptional relationship with Ronald at Ajax. Wage structure to be demolished in line with new TV revenue.

If I am wrong hey who cares I loved hearing it.

As much as I would like to believe this why would someone close to the Italian media and a Juventus season ticket holder be privy to this info and no one else?

As much as I would like to believe this why would someone close to the Italian media and a Juventus season ticket holder be privy to this info and no one else?

Because he's actually Heading for Italy....no where else,but Italy.

Unfortunately.

How many players would we have to get rid of to be able to pay him £300k a week without breaking FFP rules??? Only reason I can think he'd come here is if he fancies a real challenge at winning a league and wants to prove he's the best. Can't see it though :lol:

The "big" clubs seem to be ignoring them and taking the slap on the wrist.

That said, I'm in the Not Going To Happen camp here.

He has close links at board room level at Juventus predominantly through the media - by all accounts they made an enquiry for the player and this was the answer, I am seeing the guy tomorrow so will ask questions. I joked and said well I thought you (Juventus) were after Pelle but they are 50/50 on this one, some love the idea, some hate it from the terraces to the boardroom.

I'm sure it's rubbish to, but like some have said, it has an air of legitimacy in the link with Ron and the guy who told me I have known for years and he has always been genuine and never really cared to talk about Southampton so I don't question he is passing something he believes to be true on.

It's there to be shot down I know, but does it really matter.

Could your Italian friend at least of made up a slightly more plausible rumour?

As I say he would have no reason for this. I'd rather the thread was not closed only because if there is just one ounce of truth I'd like to say I was ITK ha ha !

I just think about the extra TV money, the Sneider rumours.... The Koeman link .... Maybe just maybe ...

"Spot on"? The guy has won 13 titles in the last 14 seasons. At the age of 34, this year, he has scored 45 goals in 48 games and has 16 assists.

He is not a **** Andy Carroll.

I think the point that some are making (including me!) is not that he is sh#t, rather that he is very expensive and potentially disruptive !

All academic as it ain't gonna happen anyway !

Update:

- Contact with all the major clubs and Zlatan unfruitful, all the major managers have previously sold him. Van Gaal, Mouriniho, Pep, Ancelotti, Conti - he wants to come to England but options are not as wide as some may think.

boooooommmmmm I'm loving this, its like buying a lottery ticket, you pay the money to dream about it coming true and this my friend is my football lottery ticket.

zlatan-koeman-kampioen.jpg

Update:

- Contact with all the major clubs and Zlatan unfruitful, all the major managers have previously sold him. Van Gaal, Mouriniho, Pep, Ancelotti, Conti - he wants to come to England but options are not as wide as some may think.

When did he play for van Gaal or Conte?

When did he play for van Gaal or Conte?

Often known for his direct comments, Paris Saint-Germain striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic has played under Louis van Gaal at Ajax who was working as a technical director for the club back in 2004. A decade later now, the two don’t seem to be the best of friends, at least that is what Ibrahimovic believes.

Following is an excerpt from his autobiography I Am Zlatan:

We headed to a training camp in Portugal and, by that time Beenhakker had resigned as director and was replaced by Louis van Gaal. Van Gaal was a pompous ass. He was a little like Co Adriaanse. He wanted to be a dictator, without a hint of a gleam in his eye. As a player, he'd never stood out, but he was revered in the Netherlands because, as a manager, he'd won the Champions League with Ajax and received some medal from the government.

Van Gaal liked to talk about playing systems. He was one of those in the club who referred to the players as numbers. There was a lot of Five goes here and Six goes there, and I was glad when I could avoid him. In Portugal, I couldn't escape. I had to go in for a meeting with van Gaal and Koeman and listen to how they viewed my contribution in the first half of the season. It was like a performance review with grades, the kind of thing they loved at Ajax. I went into an office there and sat down in front of van Gaal and Ronald Koeman. Koeman smiled. Van Gaal looked sullen.

"Zlatan," said Koeman, "you've played brilliantly, but you're only getting an eight. You haven't worked hard enough at the back."

"Okay, fine," I said, wanting to leave.

I liked Koeman, but couldn't cope with van Gaal, and I thought, Great, an eight will do me. Can I have a break now?

"Do you know how to play in defence?" Van Gaal was sticking his oar in, and I could see that Koeman was getting annoyed too.

"I hope so," I replied.

Then van Gaal started to explain, and, believe me, I'd heard it all before. It was the same old stuff about how Nine—that is, me— defends to the right, while Ten goes to the left, and vice versa, and he drew a bunch of arrows and finished with a really harsh "Do you understand? Do you get all this?," and I took it as an attack.

"You can wake up any of the players at three in the morning," I said, "and ask them how to defend and they'll rattle it off in their sleep: Nine goes here and Ten goes there. We know that stuff, and we know you're the one who came up with it. But I've trained with van Basten, and he thinks otherwise."

"Excuse me?"

"Van Basten says Number Nine should save his strength for attacking and scoring goals, and, to tell the truth, now I don't know who I should listen to, van Basten – who's a legend – or van Gaal?" I said, putting special emphasis on the name van Gaal, as if he were some completely insignificant figure.

And what do you reckon? Was he happy?

He was fuming. Who should I listen to, a legend or van Gaal? "I've gotta go now," I said, and got out of there.

Re conte, I believe there is some history between him at Juventus or Milan, but I may be wrong.

Apparently Man City were very interested but Pep pulled it, Van Gaal no chance as above etc etc.

I'm not sold on this story myself but there is some logic and **** the bed I'm happy to hang myself on 1% of truth in this to be the golden balls of ITK

Re conte, I believe there is some history between him at Juventus or Milan, but I may be wrong.

Apparently Man City were very interested but Pep pulled it, Van Gaal no chance as above etc etc.

I'm not sold on this story myself but there is some logic and **** the bed I'm happy to hang myself on 1% of truth in this to be the golden balls of ITK

Thanks for putting your neck out and letting us know what you've heard. You don't come across as as bullshi**er and I would love for this rumour to be true, but after hearing a lot less incredible rumours on here over the years that have never materialised I have to be sceptical, but thanks for sharing, and if you are proved to be right I'm sure you will be given rhe freedom of Saintsweb.

Edited by Saint Billy

Thanks for putting your neck out and letting us know what you've heard. You don't come across as as bullshi**er and I would love for this rumour to be true, but after hearing a lot less incredible rumours on here over the years that have never materialised I have to be sceptical, but thanks for sharing, and if you are proved to be right I'm sure you will be given rhe freedom of Saintsweb.

Thank you - take note all, you can start a thread , sceptically, discuss it, disagree and not start falling out #we march on

This is a great rumour (or wind up!): it's got that 'wow' factor to help make us WANT it to be true, and just enough in the way of plausible links (RK, Z's stated desire to come to the Prem) to support it.....

...but surely not. I mean: REALLY?!

He's not in keeping with the type of player we go for now....the wages would surely break us under FPP....Plus breaking the wage structure for one player isn't 'the Southampton Way'.

And yet.......we are trying to raise our global profile....it might show the extra ambition RK/VW etc need to stay longer....we know there have been talks about a 'new 5 year plan'. So maybe.

Whatever. Gonna be a great rumour to follow this summer.

Who is staking out Ocean Village for boats? And does anyone want to be the earlobe spotter?

He would be coming for 1 yr by all accounts as they reckon he will join Beckham's MLS team the following year.

Maybe he will treat this like a sabbitical and maybe lower his cash for 1 season as he has been paid more money than god over the last 4-5yrs and will no doubt rake in the MLS cash as well.

He would be coming for 1 yr by all accounts as they reckon he will join Beckham's MLS team the following year.

Maybe he will treat this like a sabbitical and maybe lower his cash for 1 season as he has been paid more money than god over the last 4-5yrs and will no doubt rake in the MLS cash as well.

I can't believe he could possibly need more money than he already has, so that's an excellent point.

Still can't see this happening though.

Not that I believe this will happen even for a split second, but I honestly wouldn't want him here.

Apart from the fact I think he is a little overrated, he would be poisonous to team harmony and cost an insane amount of money, even if it was just for a year. His ego wouldn't fit inside SMS. I'd much rather we built a team of younger dynamic players who have more hunger and are only likely to improve.

I wouldn't want Suarez or Costa here but that's different as they're C**ts. With all the depressing threads about players being sold over the past few seasons I'm willing to entertain this purely for the cool factor! Rather have someone who is genuinely world class who could score 30 goals and who openly admits they are only here for one season, than some random player who pretends they love the club but really are here purely to further their career and pick up their pay cheque.

Its unlikely in the extreme that this would happen.

However... Leicester did just win the league.

Anyway. One thing I am puzzled by are the people who keep saying he would be bad for the team and a bad influence. If he comes for a one year stint between going to the MLS, I don't understand why he would be a bad influence. He would want to show off his best in the PL, which is somewhere he has never played and would want to leave a positive impression surely. That would be the whole point of him playing here for a year. If he couldn't be arsed, then he wouldn't bother coming, so I think that's unlikely. In terms of him having a negative impact on the team... really? Would it not be a very positive impact for a player of that caliber, with that experience, to play with the team for a season as essentially a mentor? It might help us hold on to e.g. Mane and Wanyama (at least for another season) and it would for sure, improve our standing in terms of the caliber of players we could attract, if they saw that Ibrahimovic would play for us. But I can only see this as a positive thing. They would learn a lot off of him, they wpuld hear about playing in Europe and I think it would be a brilliant experience for them. It is not like Osvaldo, where we are supposed to be his new home for good and he feels he is better than us. This is someone playing with the team for a season almost as a guest I suppose, someone who is of far higher quality than Osvaldo, and at the end of the day, if it didn't work out and he does sack it in in terms of attitude I fail to see what that will do to the rest of the team. But as mentioned above, I think it highly unlikely, since that would defeat the whole point of him coming here.

I think it would be amazing for the team, the players and the club, and it would also very probably help keep hold of Koeman and other key players and would help attract high quality players in the future. I do not see the downside and I don't think there would be an attitude problem because if he thought we were beneath him etc then he wouldn't come.

This is a great rumour (or wind up!): it's got that 'wow' factor to help make us WANT it to be true, and just enough in the way of plausible links (RK, Z's stated desire to come to the Prem) to support it.....

...but surely not. I mean: REALLY?!

He's not in keeping with the type of player we go for now....the wages would surely break us under FPP....Plus breaking the wage structure for one player isn't 'the Southampton Way'.

And yet.......we are trying to raise our global profile....it might show the extra ambition RK/VW etc need to stay longer....we know there have been talks about a 'new 5 year plan'. So maybe.

Whatever. Gonna be a great rumour to follow this summer.

Who is staking out Ocean Village for boats? And does anyone want to be the earlobe spotter?

Very well said

IF I was to buy in to the fact he may come to PL for one season and none of the 'traditional' top 6 want him, I can't think of any reason for him not to join Leicester. They would also have plenty of space under the 'salary cap' of FPP, and while they are living the dream this would be a cherry on top!

Is this one of those rumours that in a few years we can put in the filing cabinet alongside Bierhoff, Adebayor etc?

I'll give this the same odds as pre-season Leicester winning the league 2015. Mind you... That happened...