Relegated Teams - Players who would you buy from their Squads?

le_tiss

He'll be off to any of the top 10 - he is supposed to be very good and most of the Premier League want him.

It's quite heartening to see 2 English centre-backs wanted by the big clubs.

Both he & Keane are very good prospects. Interesting to note that both were developed in the championship.

Both he & Keane are very good prospects. Interesting to note that both were developed in the championship.

Could add Maguire from Hull to that list. Maybe we should be looking in the championship for talented players.

For Keane and Gibson I hope they make the right choice of club. Going to a club were they wouldn't play could harm their careers.

Could add Maguire from Hull to that list. Maybe we should be looking in the championship for talented players.

For Keane and Gibson I hope they make the right choice of club. Going to a club were they wouldn't play could harm their careers.

Perhaps we are if there's any substance to the Pontus Jansson rumours.

What a great thread to bump!!! :toppa:

Sunderland:

Pickford, Watmore, O'shea, Kone, Kirchhoff

Mid:

Fabio / Friend? Gibson, De Roon?

Hull:

Maguire, Robertson, Huddlestone? Clucas, Grosicki, Keane, Mason?

Swansea:

Siggy, Corl, Carroll, Llorente, Fer, Ki, Olsson, younger Ayew

Blimey!!! :shocked:

I realise you're probably just throwing some names out there rather than serious suggestions, but I've done my best to dismiss several of them:

Kirchhoff looked great season before last, but hasn't he been out all year? I'd be a bit hesitant after a long knee injury. Also, while he looked very impressive, he didn't strike me as particularly mobile, and therefore I think him & Romeu, while being a great defensive pair, would probably be over-defensive. Not sure if others agree, memory on Kirchhoff is a bit patchy!

Wouldn't touch Kone (though he's looked decent on occasions) or O'Shea.

Not Fabio! Friend wasn't even playing regularly for Middlesbrough, was he? Or maybe he was injured.

Not sure what Huddlestone or Keane have done to merit consideration, not fussed on Mason either. Grosicki has been good but at 28 I can't see it - think a player of that age has to be something a cut above (eg Sigurdsson).

If we signed Cork, Carroll, Fer or Ki they would surely be rotation options. Fer pops up with some goals but not sure about his all round play? Not sure Ayew has done enough to warrant a move here.

I never realised that Ben Gibson was also the nephew of the Middlesbrough chairman ... maybe I've been living in a box!

I realise you're probably just throwing some names out there rather than serious suggestions, but I've done my best to dismiss several of them:

Kirchhoff looked great season before last, but hasn't he been out all year? I'd be a bit hesitant after a long knee injury. Also, while he looked very impressive, he didn't strike me as particularly mobile, and therefore I think him & Romeu, while being a great defensive pair, would probably be over-defensive. Not sure if others agree, memory on Kirchhoff is a bit patchy!

Wouldn't touch Kone (though he's looked decent on occasions) or O'Shea.

Not Fabio! Friend wasn't even playing regularly for Middlesbrough, was he? Or maybe he was injured.

Not sure what Huddlestone or Keane have done to merit consideration, not fussed on Mason either. Grosicki has been good but at 28 I can't see it - think a player of that age has to be something a cut above (eg Sigurdsson).

If we signed Cork, Carroll, Fer or Ki they would surely be rotation options. Fer pops up with some goals but not sure about his all round play? Not sure Ayew has done enough to warrant a move here.

It was a slightly exaggerated go

Seriously

Maguire, Jak,

Siggy, Llorente, Carroll, Ayew

Watmore, Kirchhoff, Pickford,

Gibson

reality is big boys will have their pick of

Siggy, Llorente, Pickford, Gibson before we get a look in

Thought Kirchoff looked a very decent player under Sam, although perhaps not the most mobile, but he seems to have been injured most of this season so hard to tell if he is the real deal or just looked good against us at SMS.

Andrea Ranocchia, although he was only on loan at Hull. We were rumoured to be interested in him before.

Ben Gibson would be great but I think he'll only leave Middlesbrough for one of the big clubs, like Man United.

On the evidence of how he played against us, Jan Kirchoff would be an ideal replacement for Wanyama. Unfortunately, he always seems to be injured.

Thought Kirchoff looked a very decent player under Sam, although perhaps not the most mobile, but he seems to have been injured most of this season so hard to tell if he is the real deal or just looked good against us at SMS.

I think he was getting excellent reviews for most of his performances (save for his debut, which was horrific).

He'll be off to any of the top 10 - he is supposed to be very good and most of the Premier League want him.

He's also the nephew of the owner, I'm not sure he'd leave unless it's to help the club.

And Mawson at Swansea looks decent whenever I've watched them.

Keep forgetting Maguire is out of contract end of next season.

He might mirror our Redmond move from last summer.

We're certainly not short of centre-back options to target.

* Semedo

* Maguire

* Sakho

* Gibson

* Jansson

Difficult to try and rate Gibson. Boro play in such a defensive manner, he could well be found out elsewhere (Not that I'm saying we shouldn't be looking at him but probably will be overpriced - £25 has been mentioned!)

Bargain

• 11 months later...

Time to resurrect the thread once more

Had a re-read of the thread - its amazing how many of these sh*t players who weren't good enough for the Saints are now playing for teams doing miles better than us (its almost like a different manager and playing a particular system with a different team might have something to do with it ;-) rather than them being rubbish

Some of the opinion are hilarious

Jack Stephens better than Maguire and Mawson ffs

Winjanum is rubbish

etc. etc.

anyway moving on

my picks which i do understand we wont get until the big boys have had there dibs

so

SWANSEA

https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/45/Swansea-City/squad

Fabianski, Mawson, Olsson, Clucas, Ayew (J)

WBA

https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/36/West-Bromwich-Albion/squad

Foster, Evans, Gibbs, Phillips, Chadli, Krychowiak, Rondon

STOKE

https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/42/Stoke-City/squad

Butland, Bauer, Martins-Indi, Allen, Shaqiri,

As per usual answers on a postcard to BBC centre, wood lane, London W12 7RJ or on here ;-)

:o :smug: :toppa:

Time to resurrect the thread once more

Had a re-read of the thread - its amazing how many of these sh*t players who weren't good enough for the Saints are now playing for teams doing miles better than us (its almost like a different manager and playing a particular system with a different team might have something to do with it ;-) rather than them being rubbish

Some of the opinion are hilarious

Jack Stephens better than Maguire and Mawson ffs

Winjanum is rubbish

etc. etc.

anyway moving on

my picks which i do understand we wont get until the big boys have had there dibs

so

SWANSEA

https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/45/Swansea-City/squad

Fabianski, Mawson, Olsson, Clucas, Ayew (J)

WBA

https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/36/West-Bromwich-Albion/squad

Foster, Evans, Gibbs, Phillips, Chadli, Krychowiak, Rondon

STOKE

https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/42/Stoke-City/squad

Butland, Bauer, Martins-Indi, Allen, Shaqiri,

As per usual answers on a postcard to BBC centre, wood lane, London W12 7RJ or on here ;-)

:o :smug: :toppa:

No from Swansea.

Evans from Brom, but bigger clubs will want him

Butland and Shaqiri from Stoke, but again think there will be stiff competition.

To be honest harvesting players from relegated clubs never seems a great idea to me, especially in a year when the majority of the PL has been awful, so the relegated clubs have been super-awful.

No from Swansea.

Evans from Brom, but bigger clubs will want him

Butland and Shaqiri from Stoke, but again think there will be stiff competition.

To be honest harvesting players from relegated clubs never seems a great idea to me, especially in a year when the majority of the PL has been awful, so the relegated clubs have been super-awful.

Agreed. I'd rather go for some of the stars of teams that are going to miss out in the playoffs or other stars of the lower leagues. Sessegnon is obviously out of our reach but James maddison would be good. Ryan fredricks in defence maybe? Has Ben Gibson been good this year? Is Bradley Dack worth a punt for the squad?

Definitely would take Mawson, not sure about anyone else. Really not convinced by Butland, been awful this season but seems to avoid flak. Not sure we could facilitate Tadic and Shaqiri, and despite my constant criticism of Tadic I'd rather him than Shaqiri.

Traore really started firing under Pulis.

Yep, apparently he's turned him into player who has half an idea of how to play football.

As for relegated recruits, assuming Evans will go elsewhere, I would consider Matt Phillips and that's about it.

Just because I can't see any players who a) we could get ahead of other teams without paying over the odds and b) even if they are better than what we have, I'm not sure they are so obviously better than we should go for them ahead of alternatives from abroad.

Evans and Shaqiri the only 2 I would like us to sign and would improve our starting 11 imo.

Although I wouldn’t be against these and think they’d improve us as a squad:

Stoke:

Ndiaye

Allen

West Brom:

Rondon

Jay (won’t happen I know)

Gibbs - to replace Bertrand.

Swansea:

Ayew’s

Mawson

Would take the keepers from all 3 to replace Forster, but I doubt they’d join to play second fiddle to Alex and it’d be very harsh to drop him.

No-one want to take a punt on Kevin Wimmer, ex-Tottenham? Going cheap? Asda cheap.

Certainly not. Wasn't good at Spurs, inexistant at Stoke, back to whatever continental league he came from methinks.

What can possibly be the point of a CB who's weak in the air and can't tackle?

I have it on good authority that Pickford (and Keane) are off to Everton, annoyingly my two first choice signings for this window. I'd definitely be happy with Siggurdson and Maguire though
Nice to see I was ITK for once. Just imagine where we'd be now if we'd signed those 4 players this season.