Confirmed - Pierre Højbjerg Signs

Saint Garrett

Since we're all at the "hashing out YT videos" stage, i thought I would share a bit of digging into this >

Interviewed in Danish after a match, very emotional. They've just won a home euro2016 qualifier over Serbia, 2-0, at that point, looking quite like they were safely qualified with a win on the road a couple days later in Armenia.

(the Danish national side don't travel well to FSRs and the Balkans, though, and drew 0-0 (crap game!) and then an 0-1 away to Portugal kept them out. I thought both results were hard on Denmark, though I will confess I was only watching online as best i could at work and not giving my full attention. Certainly wasn't watching for Hojbjerg in particular in any of the DBU games i saw.

Anyhow, Even in Danish, the interview is worth watching, he seems supremely committed. I dug up this translation.

REP: Are we ready? Pierre, you have to briefly explain the tears down your face

PEH: Yeah, it's delightful.. We deserve it, we've worked extremely hard, and I'm clapped-out.

REP: Regarding today's performance, what are you most proud of?

PEH: We are real men. We stand united, we have the Danish culture in our blood.. We fight, we have teamspirit spirit, and we have the entire stadium cheering for us.

REP: So why exactly are you being this emotional?

PEH: I'm beyond my own limits, the fact that we win on this stage..

REP: Second half looked 45 minutes of survival, was it the same palying on the pitch?

PEH: Yeah, it was rough, man. They are organized, and they play well, and.. They made the game hard for us, and they have some great individual players, but so do we.. Holy ****

REP: What does it mean to you that one of your long time friends Yussuf Poulsen (scoring the first goal) has such a major impact on the outcome of the game?

PEH: Yeah, it's just very touching.. Yeah.. Yeah..

Anyhow, to watch, you'd think they'd just lost a gut-wrencher. I like to see his pride in the national side, for sure. He also seems to have acquitted himself extremely well at Augsberg and the Schalke move seems to have been not the smartest landing spot for him. But the fact that he closed out their season more on the pitch than not -- as they solidified their Europa League spot -- is a plus.

Have a feeling he's going to be a great player for Saints. Denmark are my #1 national side (family always hosted Danish exchange students when I was growing up) so I am of course just unbelievably psyched.

How do you rate Pione Sisto? If we're getting Danish Hojbjerg we might as well try and get Sisto in as well as Mane replacement seeing as we needed an extra winger before Mane left so Redmond and Sisto would be good additions IMO

He is very one footed , i just watched the first 3 mins of the video and the ball never even touches his left foot .......not overly impressed TBH

He was playing for Bayern Munich. They were so dominant the only way they could make their domestic games competitive was their players agreed to only use only one foot. We're a 6th/7th place side, he'll be allowed to use them both for us.

BTW some of his one touch (one foot) control of long balls hit to him was superb

As long as no none expects him to use his left foot, it looks like. Nevertheless he thinks quickly.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, that highlights reel needs to be taken in the context that he was playing out wide in that game, which isn't his natural position. I saw a few of his previous appearances for Bayern a couple of years ago, and while his right foot is certainly his natural side, he's perfectly capable of using his left foot as well.

Genuinely quite excited by this signing :)

He is very one footed , i just watched the first 3 mins of the video and the ball never even touches his left foot .......not overly impressed TBH

I thought that too . Huge fee for someone who doesn't really seem to do much .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

This quote really is the ultimate proof, if any more was needed, that your sole aim is to wind people up

Not at all . As has been mentioned that video doesn't appear to give an accurate indication of what he can do . I'm hoping he is capable of a lot more . We really need a leader in the midfield role

Are you basing that comment on the youtube video?

Yes . I don't tend to get too excited based on players videos anyway . Even Clasie looked good on his .

I am hopeful based on a few fans who have seen him play but until I see for myself I won't get excited .

Yes . I don't tend to get too excited based on players videos anyway . Even Clasie looked good on his .

I am hopeful based on a few fans who have seen him play but until I see for myself I won't get excited .

Reading up on the player and fans comments from the clubs he has played for he seems a great talent at the age of 20. It also seems he feels he can develop more as a player and wants to go to a club that can do that. We do seem to be getting a reputation for improving players.

Reading up on the player and fans comments from the clubs he has played for he seems a great talent at the age of 20. It also seems he feels he can develop more as a player and wants to go to a club that can do that. We do seem to be getting a reputation for improving players.

Coming from the German league is a plus too seeing as its more similar to the EPL .

Scout report from Benfica forum who spoke with Bayern after they thought they were getting him as part of the Sanches deal.

http://www.planetbenfica.co.uk/news/scout-report-pierre-emile-h%C3%B8jbjerg

Playing style

He is an all-round midfielder, who contributes to his team both in attack and defence. As such, he can be played in a double pivot alongside a more defence-minded midfielder, or in a more dynamic midfield of three. Playing against Dortmund as a wing-back, he showed that he is versatile too.

Player comparisons

He was the youngest player in Bayern’s treble-winning squad of 2012/13, and was regarded as the heir apparent to Bastian Schweinsteiger. He is a multi-talented midfielder, so the Schweinsteiger comparisons are valid, but for me, he is a mixture of Owen Hargreaves and Michael Ballack. Like both of these players, he can operate in multiple positions and is technically very gifted.

Edited by Convict Colony

It seems that that might well be our reputation. Bit of a double edged sword as we are seen as a stepping stone and when the step is taken, it seems to cause a lot of angst for many.

However, this chap is showing a level of pragmatism that is sorely lacking, let alone from someone his age.

When Clasie was being rumoured to sign I watched a few full 90 minute games with him playing in and said (with the caveat that he should be given time) that I thought that he lacked the physicality or the fitness for the Prem and that I could see him being off the pace and hence anonymous, with the game largely passing him by. At the time I was shouted down by people who were hyped up about his signing. This season will tell us whether he can adapt I think. I fear not.

I'm more optimistic about Højbjerg. I fact, with him signing I wouldn't be surprised to see Clasie leave to go back to Dutch football.

Bit worried about all those yellow planes in a massive pile up!

That pile up is because of all the megastar footballers flying in to sign for Everton.

First footballer based pile up at an airport in the country. I doff my hat to them. Another first.

When Clasie was being rumoured to sign I watched a few full 90 minute games with him playing in and said (with the caveat that he should be given time) that I thought that he lacked the physicality or the fitness for the Prem and that I could see him being off the pace and hence anonymous, with the game largely passing him by. At the time I was shouted down by people who were hyped up about his signing. This season will tell us whether he can adapt I think. I fear not.

I'm more optimistic about Højbjerg. I fact, with him signing I wouldn't be surprised to see Clasie leave to go back to Dutch football.

Wonder if RK will be back in for him? That surely would speak volumes about how he is seen.

I don't yet know what the German research team have done with him for FM17, but in FM16 he had a potential ability significantly above any other Saints player.

Youtube "highlight" videos can be derided, the ones that show every touch in one match give a better idea. Here he is as an 18 year old playing out of position wide on the right for Pep's Bayern in the German Cup final vs Dortmund...

His range of passing is a lot more impressive than Wanyama's.

The best thing to come of this signing is discovering the 'RAC mix' of Blue jeans by Lana Del Rey, great track.

Tbh i don't know but now Ronald is no longer here he is happier.

And to answer Jai. Yeah expect he will fly out to meet up with them.

Thanks again. It'd be a huge blow if we lost Tadic as well as Mane. Hopefully now Koeman's gone he'll be happy to stay...

Paul Merson is gong to have fun with that one. Looks an exciting prospect.

Velkomst, my bacon eating, Lego loving friend. Let's take him out on the town for a night of good old fashioned rape and pillage.

Danes don't eat a lot of bacon. They sell it all to us. #dullbuttrue