Confirmed - Pierre Højbjerg Signs

Saint Garrett

I love the fact the first we hear about it is Sunday and deal is done on Monday. Wouldn't hear about it at all if the agent didn't blab.

It's what happens when you deal with a classy club, which Bayern quite obviously are.

Exactly how I read it. Not sure why others are getting their knickers in a twist.

No, we don't have the best midfielders in the league, but in terms of style and 'type' we have the best variation is what I think he was getting at.

It's because they can't/won't read what is written or put on a plate in front of them, but only see things their way.

And because the want to see and say their worst - they're proper Saints fans you see. Nary a good word to say when a good vicious dose of bile will do.

Exactly how I read it. Not sure why others are getting their knickers in a twist.

No, we don't have the best midfielders in the league, but in terms of style and 'type' we have the best variation is what I think he was getting at.

but we dont though, do we

just a daft quote that sets people off laughing

Saying we have the best pool of midfield options is very different to saying we have the best pool of midfielders.

He's taking about styles of play, not ability of players.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

this

SSN with quotes from Les Reed saying we have the best pool of midfielders to select from in the premier league (?!)

Did I hear that right?

Possibly he is suggesting that our depth is the best--i.e. our sixth midfielder is better than anyone else's sixth midfielder. Possibly, our fifth as well.

Saints fans criticising Les Reed for talking up the squad.....

Wow

Les Reed has destroyed his credibilty over anything he says. Turned into our Levy, all we care about is that he delivers. There is close to zero goodwill to him from the fans.

*sigh* so we sign this coveted young star and so many on here wants to either have a go at deliberately misinterpreting Les Reed or wheeling out the already ancient joke about Liverpool rejoicing Højbjerg joining them in 2018. Way to go Saintsweb... (yes I know, in reality most on here are not so bad, but the noisy minority is extremely loud and visible)...

Meanwhile the young man has wheeled out one of the more interesting first interviews on the OS in some time - go on, give it a read: http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/20160711-pierre-emile-hojbjerg-on-signing-for-southampton-3180194.aspx.

From what I know of Højbjerg, these are not just platitudes...

Speaks excellent English too. Also says he speaks French so can help the manager out!

Eric Black out the door?

The fact he is 20 and speaking in a non first language, plus the level of maturoty he shows is quite astonishing and an indicator off the pitch at least to English players of how to conduct yourself.

From reading Pep Confidential its clear Guardiola took an early shine to him, as much for his intelligence, tactical awareness and desire to learn as for the technical elements.

Hope he has an injury free pre season because he could be fantastic for us.

Here and only here does anyone give a flying f**k what Les Reed says about our midfield. It's a big world out there and it doesn't care about SFC, let alone what one of its employees thinks about its pool of midfielders. On topic - seems like an excellent signing.

How has a really exciting signing turned into another les Reed bashing thread? Shouldn't we be praising him for bring yet another fantastic signing into the club? Les once again proves himself to be master in the transfer market and all people want to do is pick holes in his interview. The man who after writing the coaching manual for England joined the club and has overseen our meteoric rise through the divisions, guided the ship through choppy waters 2 season ago to emerge stronger and is now planning for the next instalment of this fantastic story is still mocked and ridiculed by fractions of the fan base. For a man so vilified by fans as a clueless Buffon he seems to continually get an awful lot of things right.

To be fair the posters picking holes are the ones that most people class as trolls and idiots. I would like to think most are Intelligent enough to ignore the noise and take what is being said at face value.

To be fair the posters picking holes are the ones that most people class as trolls and idiots.

I wonder if we have the same list? :-) I couldn't possibly say who I think qualifies as that could be classed as an ad hominem attack... :-)

Perhaps Reed should stay silent? Or perhaps say he's a bit worried about our midfield and has no confidence in them now now we've lost Morgan and Wanyama..?

I love Les more

I too love Les.

On top of all the other great things he's done for our club he's just got us the youngest ever midfielder to represent Bayern in the Bundesliga (when, aged 17, he came on for Gotze) and got him on a 5 year deal. Very excited about this one. Genuinely think he could go on to be one of the best midfielders in the league.

Wow. Eloquent, intelligent and exudes confidence. Puts our young English lads to shame. Looks a class act.

That was one of them most impressive first interviews I have seen in a long time. Came across as quite genuine not just full of the usual drivel that new signings normally come out with.

Actually quite enthused by this signing

Agree with that, came across ridiculously well, especially for a 20 year old new signing from abroad, very impressive.

How has a really exciting signing turned into another les Reed bashing thread? Shouldn't we be praising him for bring yet another fantastic signing into the club? Les once again proves himself to be master in the transfer market and all people want to do is pick holes in his interview. The man who after writing the coaching manual for England joined the club and has overseen our meteoric rise through the divisions, guided the ship through choppy waters 2 season ago to emerge stronger and is now planning for the next instalment of this fantastic story is still mocked and ridiculed by fractions of the fan base. For a man so vilified by fans as a clueless Buffon he seems to continually get an awful lot of things right.

So true. My God there are some unrealistic and ungrateful types on here. There isn't a better run club, and a lot of that is down to Les.

Very impressed with how he comes across in his interview, like many have said. You can see he is determined, genuine and wants to give it his all. Can not wait to see him in the Saints shirt and kicking that ball around the pitch. Looks like he has the potential to be a fan favourite!

Les Reed has destroyed his credibilty over anything he says. Turned into our Levy, all we care about is that he delivers. There is close to zero goodwill to him from the fans.

Don't know about that; but I am waiting to see whether Redmond is the only option replacement for Mane - if he is, Uncle Les' judgement comes under question again.

I wonder if we have the same list? :-) I couldn't possibly say who I think qualifies as that could be classed as an ad hominem attack... :-)

Perhaps Reed should stay silent? Or perhaps say he's a bit worried about our midfield and has no confidence in them now now we've lost Morgan and Wanyama..?

Or maybe Reed should just say he is delighted with this signing and it gives us really great options in midfield for the new season (no need to over egg it with the PL stuff), but I guess he is not a politician. I like Les and think he is great for us, but I also know I will get a lot of stick from my non Saints supporting mates for this comment - but I can live with that!

Very good. We now need another quality striker and a back up goalkeeper.
I agree. as well as another diamond in the rough CB who would be willing to grow into Fonte's position a year and half to 2 years from now.

Don't know about that; but I am waiting to see whether Redmond is the only option replacement for Mane - if he is, Uncle Les' judgement comes under question again.
I think more certainly are coming..

Ins and Outs so far

In

Redmond £11 million

Hojbjerg £12 million

Puel

Out

Pelle £12 million

Mane £34 million

Wanyama £11 million

Juanmi £2 million

Koeman £5 million (compensation)

bought : £23 million

sold: £64 million

money still left to spend: £41 million

(we, haven't spent any of the Mane|Koeman|Juanmi money yet)

Good interview. Am I right in saying he speaks 4 languages (French, English, German, Danish)? I really like that the club makes an effort to sign and develop intelligent players because there's so much more to life than just football.

Seems pretty clear that he knows at his age he needs to play 90+ minutes each week so we could hold on to him a few years even if he proves a huge success. Welcome Pierre!