Confirmed - Pierre Højbjerg Signs

Saint Garrett

Really looking forward to seeing what he can do in a Saints shirt :)

I agree. as well as another diamond in the rough CB who would be willing to grow into Fonte's position a year and half to 2 years from now.

I think more certainly are coming..

Ins and Outs so far

In

Redmond £11 million

Hojbjerg £12 million

Puel

Out

Pelle £12 million

Mane £34 million

Wanyama £11 million

Juanmi £2 million

Koeman £5 million (compensation)

bought : £23 million

sold: £64 million

money still left to spend: £41 million

(we, haven't spent any of the Mane|Koeman|Juanmi money yet)

We'll have spent some of that on new contracts for existing players.

To sell a 30 year old for £13million and buy a 21 year old for £12million sounnds like it could be good business and -more important to me- good for the team as well.

Pelle is 30 yrs and 361 days old so call it 31.

The fact he is 20 and speaking in a non first language, plus the level of maturoty he shows is quite astonishing and an indicator off the pitch at least to English players of how to conduct yourself.

From reading Pep Confidential its clear Guardiola took an early shine to him, as much for his intelligence, tactical awareness and desire to learn as for the technical elements.

Hope he has an injury free pre season because he could be fantastic for us.

You won't find many Danes who don't speak very good English.

I agree. as well as another diamond in the rough CB who would be willing to grow into Fonte's position a year and half to 2 years from now.

Ins and Outs so far

In

Redmond £11 million

Hojbjerg £12 million

Puel

Out

Pelle £12 million

Mane £34 million

Wanyama £11 million

Juanmi £2 million

Can we have the total in $hlongs next time please.

First signing interview that I've been able to watch more than thirty seconds of. Answers the tediously obvious questions really well. Seems intelligent too which is above and beyond really. Looking forward to seeing him play!

I too love Les.

On top of all the other great things he's done for our club he's just got us the youngest ever midfielder to represent Bayern in the Bundesliga (when, aged 17, he came on for Gotze) and got him on a 5 year deal. Very excited about this one. Genuinely think he could go on to be one of the best midfielders in the league.

Steady!

Jordy Clasie and Gaston Ramirez were on the recieving end of much the same hype before we'd even seen them kick a ball in the Premier League. We do players no favours methinks if we decided that they are your stereotypical 'next big thing' quite this prematurely.

the tediously obvious questions

With respect for the guy doing his job with those interviews, I do wish he wouldn't always include the expected answer in his question. Instead of "How very excited are you about this or that?" just ask 'How do you feel about this or that?". You'll probably get the same polite answers in most cases but at least it leaves some room for creativity.

With respect for the guy doing his job with those interviews, I do wish he wouldn't always include the expected answer in his question. Instead of "How very excited are you about this or that?" just ask 'How do you feel about this or that?". You'll probably get the same polite answers in most cases but at least it leaves some room for creativity.

Funny enough was just thinking the same thing.

Ins and Outs so far

In

Redmond £11 million

Hojbjerg £12 million

Puel

Out

Pelle £12 million

Mane £34 million

Wanyama £11 million

Juanmi £2 million

Don't forget we've got the write off of Captain Jack Sparrow and Gaston....pretty sure we fully settled the pirates wages on top as well...

Don't forget we've got the write off of Captain Jack Sparrow and Gaston....pretty sure we fully settled the pirates wages on top as well...

Why would we fully settle his wages?

Why would either of them affect the funds we have available this summer and going forward?

Jesus, more than Le Tiss or Ted Bates? Mentalness is starting to infest this place.

It was only a matter of time before someone called for Jesus to be on the banner. As much as he was a popular figure, I'm not sure Ostlund warrants that level of recognition.

Jesus, more than Le Tiss or Ted Bates? Mentalness is starting to infest this place.

There is now way any organisation / business or club would have such consistent improvement over a 7 year period without great leadership / great management team in place. The question is who do you credit for the great leadership at the club? personally I think Les deserves great credit for what has been achieved.

TBF our interviews aren't even close to as tedious as Liverpool's. Their stock questions include 'where were you on the night of Istanbul?' ''what did you think of that night?''. If there's ever an example of a club who live on the past, then they're right there.

Anyone know what role he's likely to fill? Looks more like a Clasie than Wanyama to me.

Perhaps they want him playing alongside Romeu?

Guessing we won't be signing a "bruiser". Looks like he could potentially play in the Davis role, sure they'll be games when it'll be Romeu/Clasie, Romeu/Hojbjerg, Clasie/Hojbjerg depending on opposition. Maybe all three of them. We have enough games, up to one of them to cement their spot in the team every week.

Guessing we won't be signing a "bruiser". Looks like he could potentially play in the Davis role, sure they'll be games when it'll be Romeu/Clasie, Romeu/Hojbjerg, Clasie/Hojbjerg depending on opposition. Maybe all three of them. We have enough games, up to one of them to cement their spot in the team every week.

I'm not sure I like the idea of entering the Europa campaign with one tough defensive midfielder - if that's not what Hojbjerg is. We relied on Romeu a lot last season.

Reed's claim that we have the strongest midfield options in the league suggest we might not sign anyone else, though.

I'm not sure I like the idea of entering the Europa campaign with one tough defensive midfielder - if that's not what Hojbjerg is. We relied on Romeu a lot last season.

Reed's claim that we have the strongest midfield options in the league suggest we might not sign anyone else, though.

Although i'm not all that au fait with the OGC Nice side from last season I can't think of a midfield "bruiser" in it. Not sure that it's something that Puel really employs.

Really looking forward to seeing what he can do in a Saints shirt :)

We'll have spent some of that on new contracts for existing players.

But the new contracts can surely come out of the additional bumper tv money contract that everyone else is buying players with and we are still Quiana in as mentioned in the post above

If you think about it, in Koeman's first Season we only had Morgan and Victor in the ranks as proper tallish defensive midfielder's, now we have this guy and Romeu. Perhaps Oriol was brought in as the long term Wanyama replacement much like Austin was brought in for Pelle's impending departure. Also we had Toby that could and would cover in DM that season perhaps we see VVD as good cover for that position like TA was in the 2014/15 season.

If you think about it, in Koeman's first Season we only had Morgan and Victor in the ranks as proper tallish defensive midfielder's, now we have this guy and Romeu. Perhaps Oriol was brought in as the long term Wanyama replacement much like Austin was brought in for Pelle's impending departure. Also we had Toby that could and would cover in DM that season perhaps we see VVD as good cover for that position like TA was in the 2014/15 season.

I've always been a fan of Romeu, I think he's strong, committed and technically excellent. You don't come through Barca's academy not to have serious ability. I was a bit frustrated we didn't see more of him last year as I really think he could be one of the best CM's in this league. He's got all the attributes. Still only 24 too.

Then you've got Clasie, JWP, Reed in and around those positions too - we're well stocked in that area once again.

And who covers for VVD in defence ? Yoshida , or Gardos perhaps. In which case there appears a slight flaw in this idea.

And who covers for VVD in defence ? Yoshida , or Gardos perhaps. In which case there appears a slight flaw in this idea.

They're not here just to sit on the sidelines, if Gardos can get fit I'm fine with having them as 3rd and 4th choice. Gardo's played in a victory v Arsenal and Yoshida has shown he's very capable at CB not at RB though.

Considering Fonte, Romeu and VVD seem to rarely get injuries they won't have to be relied upon too often with some luck.

They're not here just to sit on the sidelines, if Gardos can get fit I'm fine with having them as 3rd and 4th choice. Gardo's played in a victory v Arsenal and Yoshida has shown he's very capable at CB not at RB though.

Considering Fonte, Romeu and VVD seem to rarely get injuries they won't have to be relied upon too often with some luck.

Gardos I 'd accept is still a bit of an unknown quantity so he may come good. Yoshida is a different issue and mistake prone to rely on over a series of matches.

I've always been a fan of Romeu, I think he's strong, committed and technically excellent. You don't come through Barca's academy not to have serious ability. I was a bit frustrated we didn't see more of him last year as I really think he could be one of the best CM's in this league. He's got all the attributes. Still only 24 too.

Then you've got Clasie, JWP, Reed in and around those positions too - we're well stocked in that area once again.

Are we well stocked though. Clasie has to improve on his interrupted first season; we haven't seen much of Reed for sometime and then there's JWP, not my idea of a DM, what are you expecting of him this season Clarkey?

Agree with this . Really hope to see more of Romeu this season .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Are we well stocked though. Clasie has to improve on his interrupted first season; we haven't seen much of Reed for sometime and then there's JWP, not my idea of a DM, what are you expecting of him this season Clarkey?

I wouldn't call JWP a DM, but he's someone who has all the tools - he just needs to find consistency and a position. I see him as a player who can play in front of the DM's. Not necessarily a number 10, but he can mature into someone who can help us retain the ball in the middle. He needs to be more tenacious in the tackle though.

Forster

Cedric Fonte VVD Bertrand

Clasie/Reed/Romeu

JWP/PEH/Davis

Long/Redmond Tadic/Jay

Austin/Long/Jay

We are still lacking another attacking option though, but we're sound enough elsewhere (I think)

I wouldn't say we necessarily needed a brick sh*thouse in midfield. We did pretty well with Cork and Morgan, Oakley and Svensson, etc. Man Utd won the treble with Roy Keane and he's only 5'10", a midget according to most girls on tinder.

If Romeu can impose himself on midfield a bit more, he could form a decent partnership with Hø and Clasie is a decent option to have.

Agree with this . Really hope to see more of Romeu this season .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Allegedly, Puel is a coach who values fierce/determined types on the pitch. I've always found Romeu's attitude in that respect very good - both in terms of his defending, but also his willingness to try and get in the box - so he could well end up a being a key player for Puel.

I wouldn't call JWP a DM, but he's someone who has all the tools - he just needs to find consistency and a position. I see him as a player who can play in front of the DM's. Not necessarily a number 10, but he can mature into someone who can help us retain the ball in the middle. He needs to be more tenacious in the tackle though.

Forster

Cedric Fonte VVD Bertrand

Clasie/Reed/Romeu

JWP/PEH/Davis

Long/Redmond Tadic/Jay

Austin/Long/Jay

We are still lacking another attacking option though, but we're sound enough elsewhere (I think)

Agree, we need another attacking player, preferably in the Mane mould. Depending on how PEH settles in, I still think our midfield lacks steel, Romeu aside. There were times last year when Clasie, Davo and JWP were on the park at the same time when our midfield was easily breached. It will be interesting to see if Harry Reed can impress Claude, I thought Rk discarded him to quickly.

First signing interview that I've been able to watch more than thirty seconds of. Answers the tediously obvious questions really well. Seems intelligent too which is above and beyond really. Looking forward to seeing him play!

Agreed. He has a calm intelligence about him and it seemed as though he's genuinely excited to be here and get going. Very mature character for someone who's only 20 years old.

I wouldn't call JWP a DM, but he's someone who has all the tools - he just needs to find consistency and a position.

He has all the technical tools but not enough of the physical ones. That will always hold him back to a degree.

Although i'm not all that au fait with the OGC Nice side from last season I can't think of a midfield "bruiser" in it. Not sure that it's something that Puel really employs.

I don't know a thing about French football, but I do know we've struggled badly whenever we've been without one in the Premier League.

Wanyama was excellent at what he did. But how many top teams play with that kind of player?

Leciester, Spurs, Chelsea and West Ham...Kanté, Dier, Matić and Kouyaté

You could argue Kanté and Kouyaté are a lot more mobile than the other 3 though.

Why would we fully settle his wages?

Why would either of them affect the funds we have available this summer and going forward?

Because we didn't have any choice? It's the only way we could end his contract, we had to pay it up in full for him to feck off.

They would affect cash going forwards as they will be debts on the book that we've had to fork out... Don't forget they were both bought using a loan facility from Mortgaging off the season ticket sales...

Because we didn't have any choice? It's the only way we could end his contract, we had to pay it up in full for him to feck off.

They would affect cash going forwards as they will be debts on the book that we've had to fork out... Don't forget they were both bought using a loan facility from Mortgaging off the season ticket sales...

We could have quite simply loaned him out. Even if we had been paying half his wages, it would have been better than just paying up 2 years of his contract. There would have been a compromise, I reckon we paid him about half of what was left.

There's nothing at all to be gained by just paying him everything up front; it just doesn't make sense.

Have to say, this could be an inspired and inspirational signing. The guy has got a footballing brain - he's intelligent - and according to reports, is captain material. We need captains all around the park. And to cap it all, he seems to have a real affinity to the ethos/brand/project/whatever that Reed sold him, which is crucial to the long-term aspirations and keeping him for an appreciable length of time. Very pleased although I am expecting a settling period just like Morgan and Clasie have needed.

My thoughts exactly. Terrible interview technique.

Speaks excellent English too. Also says he speaks French so can help the manager out!

Eric Black out the door?

Excellent interview, what a very switched on guy.

He actually looks quite filled out for a 20 year old? Just checked, he's heavier than Wanyama, so I don't think he's going to be some light-weight fairy on the pitch.