CONFIRMED: Graziano Pelle Joins Shandong Luneng - Undisclosed Fee (12-15M)

saint lard

Funny reaction compared to others moving on and leaving us, this is the biggest money grabbing move of the lot, worse than Koeman.

Not sure if Austin can offer the link up play, assists, and hold up that Pelle did.

Still works out as very good business by the club, what does that take our income up to this pre season?

Funny reaction compared to others moving on and leaving us, this is the biggest money grabbing move of the lot, worse than Koeman.

Not sure if Austin can offer the link up play, assists, and hold up that Pelle did.

Still works out as very good business by the club, what does that take our income up to this pre season?

that brings our income up from undisclosed to undisclosed. that's an increase of undiclosed.

Doesnt appear that the club showed much interest in keeping him.

Think we're all kind of assuming that the club are quite happy to take the offer for Pelle, rather than him demanding a move like some others who have left? Out of interest, does anyone know if the club made any kind of offer to Pelle to extend his Saints contract?

Tancredi Palmeri@tancredipalmeri 14m14 minutes ago

Pellé becomes the 5th best paid player in the world

Tancredi Palmeri@tancredipalmeri 12m12 minutes ago

Pellé's new wages means Rooney exiting the top10 best paid list

Tancredi Palmeri@tancredipalmeri 8m8 minutes ago

Top10 best paid1 CR7 21m€2 Messi 203 Hulk 204 Neymar 195 Ibra 166 Pellé 167 TMüller 13.58 Lavezzi139 JacksonM. 12.510 TSilva 12

Tancredi Palmeri@tancredipalmeri 14m14 minutes ago

Pellé becomes the 5th best paid player in the world

Tancredi Palmeri@tancredipalmeri 12m12 minutes ago

Pellé's new wages means Rooney exiting the top10 best paid list

Tancredi Palmeri@tancredipalmeri 8m8 minutes ago

Top10 best paid1 CR7 21m€2 Messi 203 Hulk 204 Neymar 195 Ibra 166 Pellé 167 TMüller 13.58 Lavezzi139 JacksonM. 12.510 TSilva 12

Does this mean the £125k wages were WAY wrong?

Had a couple of reasonable seasons. Didn't pull up any trees but 11 or 12 goals all from open play isn't a bad return for a £9Mn striker.

He'll need replacing though. I'm not keen at all on this idea of relying on sicknote Austin & Rodriguez. Could we perhaps gazump Palace for Benteke?

I wouldn't want to live in China.

Depends where in China.

This chap seems to like it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_White_(football)

Saints could do a lot worse than get him back to run the academy one day. I know for a fact he would jump at the chance and his coaching credentials are top notch.

As for your dismissal of China. I went to China - mainly Beijing - for business a couple of years ago, and found it to be an amazing place.

If you don't like crowded places, steer well clear. But if you're the sort of person who likes to sample the different cultures of the world, why not?

For all its embracing of western consumer products and some of its lifestyle, China is so different it is gobsmacking, and while some people might find that off-putting, others will find it fascinating.

As with any big city, Beijing has its s**t holes, and you can see them even if they try to hide them from prying Western eyes. And clearly there is a big income gap between the urban rich and middle classes and the rural poor, many of whom still live in 19th century conditions.

Like most footballers and high-earning executives, his pay packet will be enough to ensure he can seal himself off in a bubble if he chooses to, live in the most exclusive part of the city (and in Beijing's case, it is pretty exclusive) and never go near the grubbier and more interesting parts.

But Pelle is quite an intelligent sort of guy (as most European footballers are, I have to say) and you would be a nitwit to live somewhere like China and not at least sample the culture, even if you don't embrace it.

While it might be a tester for him playing under the megalomaniac Magath, I would not imagine living in China to be too demanding an experience for Pelle.

He certainly goes with my reluctant blessing. I know he took some stick on here, but I think he is a top class striker.

I've also been keeping track of that list.

Exceptionally worrying if Tadic goes.

When I first saw that list, Tadic was the one that both surprised and concerned me most. That hasn't changed, but hopeful it was just due to Koeman.

Well I always liked Pelle decent player on his day. Sorry to see him go but hardly surprised. The club obviously felt there wasn't much more mileage in him and he could see a chance to become very well paid. If we got 5 million more than we paid for him bearing, mind his age, I think everyone has done alright on this deal. Looking forward to seeing Austin rip up the league Vardy style next season now ?

While the amount of money sloshing about in football is astonishing and at times sickening, I'm not sure it's the "moving for money" people find difficult to put up with, but rather dressing up their motivations as something else, like 'ambition'.

In truth it's probably no different to any other walk of life - you're unlikely to say at an interview "the main reason I'm looking to leave is because I want a pay rise", but by the same token football is not a standard work environment or market place.

Thanks Pelle. Never understood the criticism of him. 23 PL goals in 2 seasons is good going. Scored more league goals than Rooney and Hazard in that time.

So another season of selling off players (£11m for Wanyama, £34 for Mane and £13m for Pelle) which is around £60m before taking into account the £80m a season we will get from the new tv deal. So by my rough maths we have got a **** ton of money to spend.

Crazy day but can see why he's gone if that money is for real even if he gets bored after a season and retires he will have nicely topped up the pension pot! Seems strange to be loosing a decent player who'd I have happily seen stay to the Chinese league but maybe it will become more common if that sort of money is on the table fo decent but not outstanding players.

Hope we replace him with a new signing as his goals will certainly be missed.

Thanks Pelle. Never understood the criticism of him. 23 PL goals in 2 seasons is good going. Scored more league goals than Rooney and Hazard in that time.

So another season of selling off players (£11m for Wanyama, £34 for Mane and £13m for Pelle) which is around £60m before taking into account the £80m a season we will get from the new tv deal. So by my rough maths we have got a **** ton of money to spend.

Yeah, but it doesn't work like that. This is where people will become frustrated/disappointed.

We won't see £60m for a couple of years I wouldn't have thought, and we also won't have the TV money straight away - it's paid in installments over the course of the year and If i was the club, that money would go into improving the infrastructure. We don't have £100m burning a hole in our pocket, probably somewhere in the region of £30m available straight away.

And it's not about spending **** loads of money, surely football fans can actually understand this now?

Yeah, but it doesn't work like that. This is where people will become frustrated/disappointed.

We won't see £60m for a couple of years I wouldn't have thought, and we also won't have the TV money straight away - it's paid in installments over the course of the year and If i was the club, that money would go into improving the infrastructure. We don't have £100m burning a hole in our pocket, probably somewhere in the region of £30m available straight away.

And it's not about spending **** loads of money, surely football fans can actually understand this now?

Rubbish argument unless we also don't structure our payments.

Seconded. I'd prefer to see us spending some money internally, rather than pouring it into the accounts of other clubs for a couple of extra points a year. But then I guess a happy medium can be struck.

Can't argue with what you have said. But we don't know the ins or outs of the transfer deals.

And you are right about the spending loads of money thing. It isn't about that (look at Leicester), its about getting the right people.

But you have to remember Les and Co said the plan is to get into the champions league. The vision was to keep progressing forwards. We have sold three key players who got us to where we are. Everyone this season has money and that means prices go up. If we want to achieve the plan that Les and Ralph have said then we need to bring in some quality players. Sadly those don't come cheap. Look at Bompey paying £16m for Ibe. I think that is a crazy amount for him.

Agreed it's not all about blowing huge amounts of cash all over the place.

However, by the same calculations and reasoning any future spend on transfers by Southampton will also be spread over instalments going forward. As the money is mostly guaranteed, except for a couple of million here and there, that money is all potentially available by the board to spend now!

Thanks Graziano. Really enjoyed watching you play for Saints.

All the best!

(By the way, when I heard the transfer confirmed, for some reason my mind kept giving me images of Gulliver's Travels...)

Be very sorry to see him go. Over the last couple of years Graziano seems to have been the player making me jump up, either at SMS or from the armchair and punch the air. Exploits both for Saints and Italy. Thanks for the memories and good luck.

How can I stop when I don't know what it means :scared:

we have lost,

Pochettino

Chambers

Clyne

Lovren

Shaw

Wanyama

Schneiderlin

Lallana

Lambert

Mane

Pelle

Koeman

you tell people to stop moaning about it when they voice their concerns on here

BUT....if Tadic goes, THEN you will be very worried?!?!

"Hey Les, China offering me 40million for a year contract! Can you match?"

"Nope, have a good one sexy."

Where's the like button when you want one! The money on offer is seemingly crazy and the fee we've got is pretty bonkers 13m puts him in some pretty rare company!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/golden-oldies-10-most-expensive-6087114

That doesn't make sense. Won't the majority of our payments out be structured in a similar way?

I don't think its unreasonable to expect us to be able to buy good level, experienced players, we don't have to go mad and throw money around, but there should be good money there.

Plus money for Koeman and Juanmi.

Does it? Austin is obviously going to come into the team more and so will JRod, if they are fit, and I don't see why they wouldn't be after pre-season then I can see us buying an attacker. Mane will be replaced, just hope it's with a player who can score the goals and create for his team mates.
What in the last two years has made you think Jrod's contribution is obvious?

What in the last two years has made you think Jrod's contribution is obvious?
I said they are obviously going to come in to the team more, more so Austin. JRod has been injured for the last 2 years so that is irrelevant. If they are both fit then they will feature. Is that not obvious?

For that kind of money I'd hope he buys us Saints fans a small parting gift. By which I mean Fratton Park, then flatten the whole ground and build build a 100ft statue of himself mooning at the whole city.

The Colossus of Pelle.

I said they are obviously going to come in to the team more, more so Austin. JRod has been injured for the last 2 years so that is irrelevant. If they are both fit then they will feature. Is that not obvious?

It's clearly not obvious re Rodriguez, he might not contribute much at all.